Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Munster way for most of the professional era is a big strong 12 who'll take crash ball (Halsted, Hendo, Mullins), all moves come from there. This was always the way, but for it to work to it's full potential is to have a quick, mobile, smart backrow that can get to the breakdown and also give options to have inside ball again. If Sammie was playing with us 5 years ago when we had Foley, Wallace and Quinlan at their peak, we'd be almost unstoppable. Now that the game as moved on and we have a backrow that isn't as "established" as it was along with the new breakdown interpretation we are struggling to get any backline moves going.

Bring back the good old days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kud2hEgn0Tc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I can't believe you and Thomond are suggesting that the answer to ST taking too much out of the ball is playing Mafi inside him. :eek:

Does noone remember how bad he made JDV look last year? Mafi should be stuck on the wing for the rest of his Munster career. I hope for Earls' sake he never has to play outside him.

I'm talking about playing Mafi @12 and Earls @13, ie. dropping ST.

Mafi has been coming back to form recently. When he was playing Tipoki, he was one of the top 12s in the world.

He didn't work with JdV because they are both 12s, so that didn't work. I don't think Mafi is a winger either, he works better at 12 where he has less space and there is more physicality involved; He isn't a natural try scorer ala Earls either.

He looks to have been working on his distribution a bit and is a much more dynamic player than ST. If he can sort out his temper and find his form from '08, we are looking to be in a very good place.

Clareman wrote: »
    The Munster way for most of the professional era is a big strong 12 who'll take crash ball (Halsted, Hendo, Mullins), all moves come from there. This was always the way, but for it to work to it's full potential is to have a quick, mobile, smart backrow that can get to the breakdown and also give options to have inside ball again. If Sammie was playing with us 5 years ago when we had Foley, Wallace and Quinlan at their peak, we'd be almost unstoppable. Now that the game as moved on and we have a backrow that isn't as "established" as it was along with the new breakdown interpretation we are struggling to get any backline moves going.]

The crash ball 12 was the best option because we didn't have any exciting outside backs. We played a 10 man game, but thats not just possible anymore. If we want to be sucessful, we need Earls, Howlett and Warwick to see as much quality ball as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He looks to have been working on his distribution a bit and is a much more dynamic player than ST. If he can sort out his temper and find his form from '08, we are looking to be in a very good place.

Obviously huge 'if' there.

Mafi and Earls starting together hasn't been tried yet, maybe it should be given a go next week against a fairly average side. If it fails, it fails. We will still beat Glasgow anyway.

We're steamrolling the ML at the moment, we should be experimenting a little bit. Tuitupou and Earls haven't really gelled tbf, outside of putting Deasy through yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Tefral

Looks like Fla ****ed his right calf.
    Jerry Flannery >>> Great to get the bonus point but it looks like I'm back reunited with my stupid ****ing crutches again! Spent the last 24 hours icing, compressing and sobbing. Thank you all so much for the kind messages, they're all genuinely greatly appreciated. It's my right calf this time and not the left one that's been so troublesome. Hoping to get it scanned tomorrow and fingers crossed for some good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Was it not decided that it was a lower back problem that was causing Flannery's calf trouble? Thought someone said that.

If it was, then surely this is just as worrying as if it had been the other calf?

Feel absolutely terrible for the guy. Would love to see him fit this season

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Teej

Was it not decided that it was a lower back problem that was causing Flannery's calf trouble? Thought someone said that.

If it was, then surely this is just as worrying as if it had been the other calf?

I would prefer a compensatory injury to further damage to injured tissue but neither is likely to be welcome by Fla, Munster or Ireland
    Feel absolutely terrible for the guy. Would love to see him fit this season

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

I didn't realise we were this thin on the ground :eek:
    Without Flannery, Munster have nine eligible front rows, including hookers Damien Varley and Mike Sherry, fit for Heineken Cup action but must have a minimum of 10 available under ERC rules. Munster are able to make one addition to their 38-man Heineken Cup squad ahead of the must-win round five pool game in Toulon on January 16 but if Flannery is ruled out they will have to nominate another hooker by noon on the previous Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/big-guns-back-for-leinsters-revenge-bid-141055.html#ixzz1A4pDZIXt

Bring Sean Henry in for Fla then.

I'm disappointed Fla got injured for another reason, I was hoping Barry Murphy would be the player nominated for the squad.

Right lads, I've got to go pack, I've a flight to France to catch. :D

I'll try and keep posting as much as I can, depending how motivated I am to attend college. ;)

I'm going to Toulon vs Munster so I'll post up a few pics from there!

Cheers to everyone and the mods for a great 2010! It's been fun!

Happy New Year!!! Cúige mumhan abú!

• Advertisement

Stolen from Munsterfans, not sure where the original article is from:
    Flannery out for six weeks after operation

JERRY Flannery is to have an operation on his injured calf muscle and is expected to be out of action for a further six weeks at least.

The hooker underwent tests and scans yesterday and the results were announced earlier today.

The player suffered the damaged calf muscle at the tail end of last Saturday's Magners League win over Ulster at Thomond Park and had to be assisted from the field.

Flannery has had a succession of injuries over the past two seasons and is a key player of both the Munster and Ireland squads. He is now likely to miss the February games of the Six Nations and is also out of the remaining pool games of the Heineken Cup.

The popular hooker had been outstanding after coming on as a second half replacement for Damien Varley in the Munster v Ulster game. His lineout throwing was on target, he was influential at the scrummage and very prominent in loose play. After just recovering from a similar set-back to the other calf muscle, this latest injury is certainly of concern and we wish Jerry a speedy recovery to full action.

Certainly not good news, but it could be worse. Wishing Jerry a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BCSG7

Yea tuitupou has left me underwhelmed so far. I'd also like to see mafi and earls together in midfield. Mafi needs to sort his discipline out though and stop making dangerous tackles that get him binned. Anyone hear the BJ Botha to munster rumour?

Mafi and Earls starting together hasn't been tried yet, maybe it should be given a go next week against a fairly average side. If it fails, it fails. We will still beat Glasgow anyway.

We're steamrolling the ML at the moment, we should be experimenting a little bit. Tuitupou and Earls haven't really gelled tbf, outside of putting Deasy through yesterday.[/QUOTE]

There were rumours of it on Munsterfans, but I think it was just rumours. We'd never be allowed sign a NIQ TH when we have 3 other THs in the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

There were rumours of it on Munsterfans, but I think it was just rumours. We'd never be allowed sign a NIQ TH when we have 3 other THs in the squad.

How long is Borlase's contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

How long is Borlase's contract?

2 years with the option of a third. The Saffers are keen to get BJ back home, there were mumblings of an early contract release but Ulster were having none of it.

Don't know where that report on Flannery came from before MF's. There was one in the Irish Time's today saying 3/4 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ma’a Nonu agrees terms with Munster for switch after world cup.

Ali Williams in talks with IRFU, don't know for where though, more than likely either Ulster or Leinster if he comes.

No source to speak of, but you heard it here first. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Lawstudent1

[Jackass] wrote: »

Ali Williams in talks with IRFU, don't know for where though, more than likely either Ulster or Leinster if he comes.

I think it goes without saying that if this turns out true I will be a very happy man. In my opinion hes the best 12 in world rugby and probably one of the most lethal backs. Nonu, a tighthead and a new backrow and were more or less sorted for next season. Also O'Connell and Flannery returning from injuries will be like two world class signings in themselves.
    As for Ali Williams to Leinster well if its true it seems a bit pointless really. I know Cullen and Hines aren't as good as someone like Ali Williams but they're still one of the best lock pairings in european rugby and Toner is more than good enough to hold third choice. It just seems like Leinster are signing a player for signing's sake. They're spoilt in the backs, backrow and front row so the only position left is second row.
    I really hope Ali goes to Ulster for both Ulster's sake and Irelands as he'll only impede the progress of players like Devin Toner if he goes to Leinster. If I was a Leinster supporter however I'd be dancing on roof tops if he was to sign as he is probably the best second row in world rugby right now.

Theres been a lot of talk of Leinster wanting to have two quality teams to rotate. Well if this signing is true Leinster could have two teams of incredible quality. A rotating front row of Healy, Merwe, Cronin, Strauss, Ross and Wright. Second row of Leo Cullen, Nathan Hines, Ali Williams and Devin Toner. Backrow of Sean O'Brien, Shane Jennings, Jamie Heaslip, Kevin McLaughlin, Dominic Ryan and Rhys Ruddock. Scrumhalf of Eoin Reddan, Isaac Boss and Paul O'Donohue. Centre of D'arcy, O'Driscoll, McFadden and O'Malley. Wings of Nacewa, Fitzgerald, Horgan, Carr, Conway, D.Kearney. Full back of Kearney and Nacewa.
    The only area of weakness is outhalf, where, I'm shocked Leinster haven't tried to go for a player. Sexton can be injury prone and does go through lapses of form and Berne isn't good enough even as a second choice.

I would be insanely jealous and downbeat of Leinster's riches but rumours of Nonu has helped considerably. :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I think it goes without saying that if this turns out true I will be a very happy man. In my opinion hes the best 12 in world rugby and probably one of the most lethal backs. Nonu, a tighthead and a new backrow and were more or less sorted for next season. Also O'Connell and Flannery returning from injuries will be like two world class signings in themselves.
    As for Ali Williams to Leinster well if its true it seems a bit pointless really. I know Cullen and Hines aren't as good as someone like Ali Williams but they're still one of the best lock pairings in european rugby and Toner is more than good enough to hold third choice. It just seems like Leinster are signing a player for signing's sake. They're spoilt in the backs, backrow and front row so the only position left is second row.
    I really hope Ali goes to Ulster for both Ulster's sake and Irelands as he'll only impede the progress of players like Devin Toner if he goes to Leinster. If I was a Leinster supporter however I'd be dancing on roof tops if he was to sign as he is probably the best second row in world rugby right now.

Theres been a lot of talk of Leinster wanting to have two quality teams to rotate. Well if this signing is true Leinster could have two teams of incredible quality. A rotating front row of Healy, Merwe, Cronin, Strauss, Ross and Wright. Second row of Leo Cullen, Nathan Hines, Ali Williams and Devin Toner. Backrow of Sean O'Brien, Shane Jennings, Jamie Heaslip, Kevin McLaughlin, Dominic Ryan and Rhys Ruddock. Scrumhalf of Eoin Reddan, Isaac Boss and Paul O'Donohue. Centre of D'arcy, O'Driscoll, McFadden and O'Malley. Wings of Nacewa, Fitzgerald, Horgan, Carr, Conway, D.Kearney. Full back of Kearney and Nacewa.
    The only area of weakness is outhalf, where, I'm shocked Leinster haven't tried to go for a player. Sexton can be injury prone and does go through lapses of form and Berne isn't good enough even as a second choice.

I would be insanely jealous and downbeat of Leinster's riches but rumours of Nonu has helped considerably. :D

Think you may have missed the point of his post :D

Yea I know we have 3 other TH'S but hayes time is almost up and buckley and borlase are not good scrummagers from what I have seen. Botha is technically very good at scrummaging and would be a great addition to munster. They are not going to win another HC if the scrum is going backwards all the time.

nonu at munster would be a great signing and it would be exciting to see him link up with earls. Williams at leinster i'm not sure about, he has had two bad achilles injuries and as for him being the best second row in the world, I think matfield would have something to say about that.

• Advertisement

castie wrote: »
    Think you may have missed the point of his post :D

In my excitement I just completely overlooked the last line. Oh well. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

[Jackass] wrote: »

Its extremely unlikely that any of this type of rumour taking place until after the RWC has completed later this year.
    Given past examples of these rumours, a 'dead cert for Munster' usually means 'has gone to Toulon'

12 and 3 are the only positions that we need. Sign Nonu and BJ Botha and I'll be delighted.

We have 3very good backrows coming through (TOD, POM and Butler) and will have both Leamy and Coughlan for another few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

12 and 3 are the only positions that we need. Sign Nonu and BJ Botha and I'll be delighted.

We have 3very good backrows coming through (TOD, POM and Butler) and will have both Leamy and Coughlan for another few years.

No room for McCaw to replace Quinlan? :D

McCaw is replacing Wally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭twinytwo

McCaw is replacing Wally :D

If Munster managed to pull Richie i would nearly jizz my pants.. On a serious not at the end of the day we are in need of IQ props... getting a punch of saffers is no good to us

twinytwo wrote: »
    If Munster managed to pull Richie i would nearly jizz my pants.. On a serious not at the end of the day we are in need of IQ props... getting a punch of saffers is no good to us

Jamie Hagan would be an obvious choice but Timmy Ryan might be an option as well. Haven't seen much of him lately anyone know how hes getting on? Wouldn't mind poaching either McGrath or Maguire off Leinster as well as neither of them are getting any opportunities and looking at Leinster's front row options probably wont in the near future. Its a shame Hurley is so injury prone. Also theres an Irish prop playing for Exeter Ruairi Murphy anyone know anything about him?

6.Quinlan
    7.McCaw
    8.Leamy

Teams will forfeit games rather than have to face the ferocity of that backrow. Do backrows get any more aggressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

twinytwo wrote: »

We have IQ props, they're just not been given a chance. Darragh Hurley did well enough in his cameo against Ulster. Looked quick for a man his size as well when taking the offload from Warwick.

• Advertisement

Something I've been meaning to ask but I keep forgetting...
    I found out the other day that Felix Jones is a natural 10 and played all his rugby there throughout underage and schools all the way up until midway through his first year in Leinster where he was put on the wing or at full back. I am just wondering why he hasn't been tried there for Munster! He has huge pace, a great boot, very good hands and is very strong in defence I'd like to see him have a go. Anyone know when hes due back from injury?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement