Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'm pretty sure that those weren't his exact words, but yeah, he did say he wasn't happy at Leinster....but so did Sexton and Carr, and one stayed and the other is coming back.

I think he felt left out because he wasn't from the "schools system" (and in fairness, after playing in that, everyone does know everyone), but Seany would look after him.

I think in reality, if Leinster came knocking (and he didn't have offers on the table) and Joe told him he's in the plans, he'd come back in a heart beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Five point banker at home to LI and an away game against over hyped team of mercenaries. I'll take that thanks.

As average as both those teams are, I wouldn't say Munster have a banker to get points out of either of them. Munster have been terrible.

But this is chip on your shoulder stuff, back to basics. So it'll be interesting to see how the players react.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

[Jackass] wrote: »
    As average as both those teams are, I wouldn't say Munster have a banker to get points out of either of them. Munster have been terrible.

But this is chip on your shoulder stuff, back to basics. So it'll be interesting to see how the players react.

Munster were poor in 1 game. They were very closing to giving the O's a hiding the week before.

I'm getting bored of people writing negative nonsense that can't be backed up by results but Irish people love a moan so its to be expected.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

We were poor in both O's games to be honest and would of beaten LI if we had even played well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that those weren't his exact words, but yeah, he did say he wasn't happy at Leinster....but so did Sexton and Carr, and one stayed and the other is coming back.

I think he felt left out because he wasn't from the "schools system" (and in fairness, after playing in that, everyone does know everyone), but Seany would look after him.

I think in reality, if Leinster came knocking (and he didn't have offers on the table) and Joe told him he's in the plans, he'd come back in a heart beat.

Hagan is no mug. Mike Ross and Stan Wright are the 1st choice tightheads in Leinster, this would put Hagan at 3rd choice. He has said before that he was poorly treated at Leinster and hated the cliquey nature of the underage teams. He's happy in Connacht, he' settled and he's getting regular games and coming on leaps and bounds. He's a fans favourite and tis often you can hear the roars of 'Beast' going up in the Sportsground after he's dismantled another opposition scrum.

I have no doubt that Hagan would be 1st choice tighthead in Munster. We all know Buckley and Hayes can't scrum, and Hagan can certainly scrum. He needs a bit of work on his game around the park but his bread and butter is very good and that's the main thing. You may say has Hagan ever been tested? Along with Brett Wilkinson (another fine player) and Sean Cronin, he stood toe to toe with the Leinster front row of Healy, Strauss and Ross and held their own, the same Leinster front row that put it up to a Clermont scrum that's one of the most feared in Europe. Connacht's scrum has been one of the best in the Magners League this season, and that's predominantly down to Jamie Hagan.

That being said hands off. You're only after getting Borlasse, give him a chance and give the likes of Darragh Hurley a chance as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Five point banker at home to LI and an away game against over hyped team of mercenaries. I'll take that thanks.

All's well so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

CouchSmart wrote: »

Why are you rolling your eyes? Its fairly unusual to progress if you lose a home game and I'm pretty sure a few Leinster supporters probably thought their season was over when they lost it (and Shane Jennings for a couple of months).

Look how that finished in the end. Interesting that Munster have LI in their group this time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Why are you rolling your eyes? Its fairly unusual to progress if you lose a home game and I'm pretty sure a few Leinster supporters probably thought their season was over when they lost it (and Shane Jennings for a couple of months).

Look how that finished in the end. Interesting that Munster have LI in their group this time. ;)

Leinster won 4, drew 1, lost 1 that season. That isn't remotely close to only winning 3 games, like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

I rolled my eyes because you were trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Don't call troll on thread. If you've got an issue with a post, report it, we'll take it from there. Meantime back OT and watch the provincial niggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Any word on whether POC is appealing yet?

danthefan wrote: »
    All's well so.

You're adding so much to this thread with your glib one liners.

Otacon wrote: »

I think you have to lodge the appeal fairly soon after the original hearing so I'd say he's just going to leave it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

danthefan wrote: »
    Leinster won 4, drew 1, lost 1 that season. That isn't remotely close to only winning 3 games, like you said.

The games that stood out for me were the London Irish games. I should have looked up the full table before posting.

A fantastic achievement for Leinster considering the start they had to get out of that pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Teej

Otacon wrote: »

He is/They are

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2010/1221/1224286059829.html

Still waiting for appeal date which will have to be either tomorrow or Thursday if he's to play against Connacht

Munster really need the appeal to be successful, with his ban set to end just before the Toulon game he'd be so short of game time his impact would be lessened. He'll probably get a two week reduction I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Is probably in Munster's favour too that they haven't appealed any of the other bans recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster were poor in 1 game. They were very closing to giving the O's a hiding the week before.

I'm getting bored of people writing negative nonsense that can't be backed up by results but Irish people love a moan so its to be expected.

I would turn your statement on its head and ask how many games have Munster been excellent? I mean absolutely brilliant?

Yeah I'm probably being negative but they're my opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I would turn your statement on its head and ask how many games have Munster been excellent? I mean absolutely brilliant?

Is it not a testament to the team the positions we are in in the league and cup despite not having played well this season?

We haven't been well beaten by any team this season (if memory serves) and thats with a non-existent set-piece. If the team can find form and near-parity at scrumtime, we will have a good season. The only lingering problem is that the team is performing...

Its December thomond, brilliance at this stage isn't necessary.

How many times have we seen this solid/unspectacular form from Munster before turning it on when it actually matters? I'd say at least 7 of the past 10 seasons have followed similar patterns.

• Advertisement

Its December thomond, brilliance at this stage isn't necessary.

How many times have we seen this solid/unspectacular form from Munster before turning it on when it actually matters? I'd say at least 7 of the past 10 seasons have followed similar patterns.

This is true but they usually don't leave it this late. The double header is usually when all the pieces fall into place. Munster are facing not qualifying for the knock out stages and if they do qualify they'll likely have an away quarter. For a team that bases success on the HC, clearly there are problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

We can't deny that Munster are going downhill from the 2008 HEC winning side. Last season in the HEC we were haunted to beat Northampton and only performed well against Perpignan.

Munster seem to have the capacity to produce big performances now and then but only once or twice a year. When did Munster last score a try against Leinster? Its a shocking statistic.

Munster were better overall than the ospreys at the weekend but lost and at home against the Ospreys they almost blew a comfortable lead. They lost against a very average London Irish team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

profitius wrote: »
    We can't deny that Munster are going downhill from the 2008 HEC winning side. Last season in the HEC we were haunted to beat Northampton and only performed well against Perpignan.

Munster seem to have the capacity to produce big performances now and then but only once or twice a year. When did Munster last score a try against Leinster? Its a shocking statistic.

Munster were better overall than the ospreys at the weekend but lost and at home against the Ospreys they almost blew a comfortable lead. They lost against a very average London Irish team.

With all respect profitius Munster were on top for about 15 minutes in the second half and failed to get a try that they threatened. O Leary on more than one occasion had men outside but chose to pass the ball to Wallace or DOC when one or two wide passes would have given us a big overlap.
    Ospreys proved their mettle against us over 2 weekends, they dug out the LBP in Thomond but failed to put us to the sword in Swansea so it is still game on.
    Interesting that the odds for qualification are the same (7/4) for Toulon Munster and the Ospreys.

HEINEKEN CUP 2010 / 2011 (All kick-offs LOCAL time)

SUNDAY 16 JANUARY, 2011
    Pool 3 Toulon v Munster 16.00 FR2

SATURDAY 22 JANUARY, 2011
    Pool 3 Munster v London Irish 15.30

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/13444.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭stejkenny

We haven't been well beaten by any team this season (if memory serves) and thats with a non-existent set-piece. If the team can find form and near-parity at scrumtime, we will have a good season. The only lingering problem is that the team is performing...

Right there is the problem; you are talking about having a non existent scrum and waffling about near parity in terms of having a good season. Thats a shocking attitude and speaks volumes about the state of the game Munster are playing. Wishing this and hoping that.

well done if Munster get to the QF but just like last season, will be find out come QF or semis. Also now that the ML is a knock out stages too, its the same thing. What if Munster have the Ospreys away in the ML qualifiers at the end. Will you be "hoping for parity" again. Shocking statement but at the same time the clearest indication ive got from a Munster supporter so far that there is big trouble and huge chance that they will have another siverwareless season again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

stejkenny please do not post again on this thread. IMO you are off topic and are not contributing constructively to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

buck65 wrote: »
    With all respect profitius Munster were on top for about 15 minutes in the second half and failed to get a try that they threatened. O Leary on more than one occasion had men outside but chose to pass the ball to Wallace or DOC when one or two wide passes would have given us a big overlap.
    Ospreys proved their mettle against us over 2 weekends, they dug out the LBP in Thomond but failed to put us to the sword in Swansea so it is still game on.
    Interesting that the odds for qualification are the same (7/4) for Toulon Munster and the Ospreys.

Munster were not great against Ospreys. The Ospreys were not good and relied on their scrum and Biggar to kick penalties. Over the two games Munster scored 5 tries to Ospreys' 2. So Munster could not even beat an Ospreys teamwho were average at best.

Bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

OK folks, let's not re-open the debate over the suspension/red card again. Everyone's more than had their say already, the suspensions been upheld and that's pretty much the end of that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement