Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

... as well as my best mates from Bristol, canceled. F*...n snow!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Why cancel only outbound flights? what i mean is alot of the planes have to go outbound to come back inbound?

For example my brother is stuck in vienna, as the flight going out is cancelled he is now screwed.

Is this not a company who claim to be the national airline and who promised to get as many people home as possible? why not fly as many planes in and out while the airport is open. Even if there were delays at least people would get home even if it is the middle of the night.

They are the only airline doing this and as a frequent aer lingus flyer i find it absurd and a big let down

They're quite a unionized airline though, by allowing staff to come home,only rather than flying from home, it negates any risk of them getting stranded somewhere until the early hours or the next day, I would suspect this decision has been taken with that in mind.

At the end of the day, in my own experience, whilst Aer Lingus are a good airline, in times of disruption their passengers always tend to take second place over what is best for their staff.

A friend of mines friend last week had a flight to Warsaw, and it was diverted to Berlin and involved a 12 hour road trip. EI refused to Land at any airport in Poland which was 2 hours away, as they did not normally serve them, so landed at the nearest EI airport despite the fact it was 600km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭96blsh

Sister is trying to get home from the states. On tuesday her flight was canceled for wed and now today (different airline) her flight has been canceled. She'll probably now not get home for the 25th but we'll still do christmas just maybe now on the 26 or 27th.

I also work in a boarding school and I spent yesterday in the aiport making sure all our kids got home to various parts of europe. The Airport staff where excellent and gave us as much information as they had.

Unfortunately some people won't make it home for the 25th but we can't control the weather and the airport is doing everything possible to get as many home as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

chrabo wrote: »
    Dublin airport close till 23h

I heard restrictions on take off, but are they still allowing planes to land ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Whats this row between Ryanair and the DAA ?
    Saw a Ryanair spokeman on ealrier saying it was a mistake to close the airport today, that the DAA overreacted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

http://twitpic.com/3it9he
    pic from 7pm at airport

there were snow showers from 4pm on some heavy enough, on my way home from airport after flight cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Whats this row between Ryanair and the DAA ?
    Saw a Ryanair spokeman on ealrier saying it was a mistake to close the airport today, that the DAA overreacted

Ryanair never agree with the DAA. They were saying there was breaks of sunshine that would have allowed flights. They think once it stops snowing they can fly. This despite the runway not being clear. I live close by and there was little breaks before another couple of inches came down.

Ryanair will always make sure to highlight the big finger of blame and show themselves as a glowing airline. If flights had resumed and one of their planes slipped off the runway I would guarantee ryanair would be the first on blaming DAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

What I dont understand is how countries like sweeden norway finland russia and canada etc. can keep airports open with snow and temps of -25 and more and dublin londan etc. cant
    Do our airport staff need a training coarse in sibera or someplace on how to manage in cold weather

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭jos28

angel01 wrote: »
    My brothers flight from Birmingham is now cancelled, he doesn't think he will get home now so will have to stay there for Christmas.

:(:(:(
    Angel, He still has time to make the ferry. There is a National Express leaving Birmingham bus station at 22.00 which will get him to Holyhead in time for the 2.30 am ferry. Lots of people tweeting about giving available tickets. My son is thankfully on the train on route to the ferry. Should be in Dublin at 5.45am. Can't wait to see him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

At Bristol airport. Ryanair cancelled last flight and said go home but also said no availabilty on any known flight out of England tommorrow on any airline, and no extra planes running. So people here are not going home, or taking the ferry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What I dont understand is how countries like sweeden norway finland russia and canada etc. can keep airports open with snow and temps of -25 and more and dublin londan etc. cant

First of all airports the likes of Canada do close because of snow. But the Helsinki airport guy was on TV and he said that they had 3 runways, they simply alternate deicing and operation on these. Dublin does not have 3 runways. I think Dublin's performance is not disgraceful, but Heathrow made a hames of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

devnull wrote: »
    They're quite a unionized airline though, by allowing staff to come home,only rather than flying from home, it negates any risk of them getting stranded somewhere until the early hours or the next day, I would suspect this decision has been taken with that in mind.

At the end of the day, in my own experience, whilst Aer Lingus are a good airline, in times of disruption their passengers always tend to take second place over what is best for their staff.

Not an expert on airline logistics, but there could be a problem if flight crew go over their allowable flight time limit for a given time-frame and there is not a replacement crew available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

They are forcasting heavy fog tomorrow. Is I likely to have an impact on Dublin Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭YogiBoy

I am seeing the total opposite - bright sunshine for Dublin tomorrow. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ I dont know who "they" are.

All day long, snow has been streaking over Dublin airport, the only place in the country, from this chart
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/county.asp
    Was this streaking real ? (well we know it did snow) (and not of the wifi related distubrance you can sometimes see here?)
    If real, it seems like the planes in Dublin act like a magnet for the snow these days

• Registered Users Posts: 35 foxylady5160

Well I'm delighted that Dublin Airport is shut down from political point of view. Not for the many people who can't get home, genuinely feel for. I would give rooms in my house just to be sure that people have a bed and safe. But I'm tired of D. Airport this and that bla bla bla. In fairness the west is suffering as bad but managing. Like the last time with the Ash good olde Shannon saved the day. I believe like in Cyprus when Nicosica Airport was overtaken years ago. The Cypriots build Larnaca airport in 40days. All I'm saying that they should not lay all the eggs in 1 basket and afterall Shannon should be the 2nd airport to on standby and recognised for its efforts. Tonight all flights are coming and going and most other airports like Knock, Farranfore. TG. Shannon got raving reviews in the times and awarded for this. I don't see a big celebration for this. I'm very disappointed in that regard.

I hope to all the passengers do get home safe and sound. Please god we will learn lesson from this. THings will and have to change at this stage and age. Spending huge money on an airport terminal will not sort the problems or political conquest. Shannon (had the longest runway in Europe) has more meaning to most and is the last pit stop for across the seas.

Intriguing - I see a Cityjet plane flying from Paris to what looks like Cork just now -See here. http://www.flightradar24.com/index.php?fa=1&heightmaxunit=ft&heightminunit=ft&speedmaxunit=knots&speedminunit=knots&airplfil=bcy&airplfiltype=callsign Call sign BCY. The BCY don't ever fly to Cork. Does this mean Cityjet is offloading Dublin boudn passengers at Cork and positioning a plane at Cork for tomorrow morning, after busing down passengers from Dublin. Maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭transylman

Heard on http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw2, closed until 05.00 now.

ATC?? Sorry not familiar with that abbreviation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    ATC?? Sorry not familiar with that abbreviation.
    Air traffic control

Effectively adp.fr shows that codeshare AZ3580 took off at 22:05 - originally for the early afternoon. That must be it. But what will the plane do now. Hightail it back to CDG or LCY empty? Or try to make it up to DUB? Or fly tomorrow from ORK with passengers aboard > ? Guesses ?

The power of disorganisation should not be understimated. I know someone that took a virtually empty Eurostar train yesterday from London King's Cross to Marne La Vallee near Paris during the day. But yet thousands of people were still queueing outside and would have their right arm to be on that train - the subsequent train for Paris was 2.5 hours later. Near empty train due to utter disorganisation and atrocious management.The stroies he had about the queues hard to believe.

• Advertisement

LOL so obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

OK the other half hopes to get on a 6.35am flight in Dub tomorrow. What are the chances people?

This flight from DUB to Paris today takes the biscuit

Vol parti de Dublin (DUB) à 14:35, Jeu. 23 déc. 10
    Retour sur Dublin (DUB) à 14:55, Jeu. 23 déc. 10
    Vol parti de Dublin (DUB) à 15:43, Jeu. 23 déc. 10
    Vol arrivé à Paris (CDG) à 18:35, Jeu. 23 déc. 10

"En raison de vérifications techniques, le vol AF5005 est retourné sur Dublin." from whence it left a 2nd time.
    This flight took off - had a problem - relanded and took off again. And still had a smaller delay than most other flights

Paris-CDG Air France AF5008 23/12 22:10 Delayed 01:15

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

For anyone still stuck in the UK who needs to get to Ireland, there are still flights available from England to Belfast International and Ireland West Airport Knock tomorrow, from Gatwick, Liverpool, Leeds/Bradford etc.

If the issue is just getting across the sea and you can get picked up somewhere in Ireland to get home this might be an option for someone if everything into Dublin is booked up.

Why did they close the airport till 5am ?
    Looking at the radar, there is no new snow coming in tonight

The staff have to go home & get some sleep. New staff in at 5am must be :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

YogiBoy wrote: »
    I am seeing the total opposite - bright sunshine for Dublin tomorrow. http://www.met.ie/forecasts/ I dont know who "they" are.

All day long, snow has been streaking over Dublin airport, the only place in the country, from this chart
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/county.asp
    Was this streaking real ? (well we know it did snow) (and not of the wifi related distubrance you can sometimes see here?)
    If real, it seems like the planes in Dublin act like a magnet for the snow these days

Was it real? Was it what? I work in Swords and we have been trudging through snow since Monday night and it just keeps coming. Snowing on and off most of today again. As I was leaving there today at 5.15 there was blizzard conditions - I just sat in traffic thinking WTF. I feel really sorry for anyone trying to get home etc but the conditions around the airport are GUBU (Grotesque, Unprecedented Unbelievable and Bizzarre) Sorry I have been in the pub - I deserve it after the week/month we have had. And yes I am aware it is a lot worse in Donegal, Roscommon and places, and people have no water etc etc etc.
    The people I really feel sorry for are the people working in the airports, the poor bus drivers etc

gar32 wrote: »
    The staff have to go home & get some sleep. New staff in at 5am must be :)

fair enough

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Well I'm delighted that Dublin Airport is shut down from political point of view. Not for the many people who can't get home, genuinely feel for. I would give rooms in my house just to be sure that people have a bed and safe. But I'm tired of D. Airport this and that bla bla bla. In fairness the west is suffering as bad but managing. Like the last time with the Ash good olde Shannon saved the day. I believe like in Cyprus when Nicosica Airport was overtaken years ago. The Cypriots build Larnaca airport in 40days. All I'm saying that they should not lay all the eggs in 1 basket and afterall Shannon should be the 2nd airport to on standby and recognised for its efforts. Tonight all flights are coming and going and most other airports like Knock, Farranfore. TG. Shannon got raving reviews in the times and awarded for this. I don't see a big celebration for this. I'm very disappointed in that regard.

I hope to all the passengers do get home safe and sound. Please god we will learn lesson from this. THings will and have to change at this stage and age. Spending huge money on an airport terminal will not sort the problems or political conquest. Shannon (had the longest runway in Europe) has more meaning to most and is the last pit stop for across the seas.

:eek:

Advertisement