Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Paul Galvin on the Late Late Show

• 18-12-2010 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

He came across really badly, and shows no remorse for any of his actions, and laughs it off. He disses all the pundits who dont minch their words when it comes to his actions.

he has no class and should show alot more remorse for the things he has done in the past and stop trying to laugh it off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭get_d_hand_in

reminincent at some stages of the conversion to a certain irish/utd soccer player. (i've done things in the past i'm not proud of but yano...)

Ah he's an attention seeker, dunno if he's gay, pulls some women i'd say :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

Certainly not your average GAA player. I think he fancies himself as a sort of an Irish Eric Cantona type character. Deluded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

A strange human being is all I can describe Galvin as!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

A hard footballer who plays close to the edge and unfortunately sometimes over that edge, who gives performances full of passion, hardwork and commitment, I couldn't care less how many shoes he has or what type of jeans he wears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

A hard footballer who plays close to the edge and unfortunately sometimes over that edge, who gives performances full of passion, hardwork and commitment, I couldn't care less how many shoes he has or what type of jeans he wears.

I would agree with this, a tough uncompromising footballer. I think most of his onfield crimes have been blown out of all proportion, and he has become a bit of a pantomine villian for clowns like Brolly. It says a lot about public sector salaries though if he can affod to binge on shoes like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Setanta2

What he lacks in emotional intelligence he makes up for in physique. His football prowess and taste in fasion like them or loathe them make a statement He seems to have many demons lurking in him - but maybe thats where he needs to grow . He is a good looking chap - but without some personnal growth he may age without grace . I wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭thesultan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Setanta2 wrote: »
    What he lacks in emotional intelligence he makes up for in physique. His football prowess and taste in fasion like them or loathe them make a statement He seems to have many demons lurking in him - but maybe thats where he needs to grow . He is a good looking chap - but without some personnal growth he may age without grace . I wish him well

Nice of you to join us Mr O'Hailpin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Very impressed by Paul Galvin last night. He doesnt get a short back and side haircut, nor does he attend mass on a Sunday morning standing at the back of the church or wears O Neill's hoody. This does however him makes him a danger to the backword nature of the GAA. Long live the culture of the GAA.

Regards
    Woodchopper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Very impressed by Paul Galvin last night. He doesnt get a short back and side haircut, nor does he attend mass on a Sunday morning standing at the back of the church or wears O Neill's hoody. This does however him makes him a danger to the backword nature of the GAA. Long live the culture of the GAA.

Regards
    Woodchopper

Yeah, we all just found out about his interests tonight :rolleyes: Good man, Christmas holidays mean you can stay up late now?

Personally I don't think he's gay, it doesn't really matter anyways in the 'backwards GAA' compared with other codes. As said above he's a class player and what else matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭acequion

It says a lot about public sector salaries though if he can affod to binge on shoes like that.

Another cheap shot at the public sector from yet another begrudger! As if a single young man with a college degree isn't entitled to a disposable income to spend on whatever hobby he chooses! Especially one who has voluntarily devoted his time and his talent to bring honours to his county.

I really admire Paul.I think he's an outstanding footballer.A joy to watch on the field with his passion and flair. He's also a very interesting,colourful,unconventional person.Why can't people just live and let live!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭thesultan

I think that its actually great that we have a player would won't wear the standard tracksuit look. Although the t-shirt in New York I don't think studio 57 in it's heyday would have allowed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

wyndhurst wrote: »
    Yeah - but did you see his 'performance' last night? What a TOOL.

No I didn't, I'd be more interested in his onfield performance tbh. As far as his fashion taste goes well its each to their own isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Timistry

Well said!! Typical irish reaction to be fair .begrugers the lot of ya! So the man likes to dress up? so what? He is probably the most controversial player in the country but he is easily the best in his position in the country and on his day, probably the best overall player in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Timistry wrote: »
    on his day, probably the best overall player in Ireland.
    No, just... No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

ScareGilly wrote: »
    No, just... No
    Ok i'd ignored this thread till now, because its a load of ****e, with random statements about a players sexuality. (PS Mods, how is this rediculous thread still open. If a thread started saying Alan Brogan, or Seán Cavenagh was Gay it would be shut down straight away).

But to deny that Galvin is the best footballer in Ireland on his day is shamefull. Look at his 2006 season, his 2009 season, the start of his 2010 season. His performance against Cork in th MF Replay was outstanding. Let Paul wear whatever he wants, its no ones business. One of the greatest footballers of this era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

No I didn't, I'd be more interested in his onfield performance tbh. As far as his fashion taste goes well its each to their own isn't it?

The thread is titled Paul Galvin on the Late Late Show so if you didn't watch it why comment on it!

Regarding Paul Galvin on the Late Late I watched it because I do think he's a good player and I never listened to him in an interview before. It was really hilarious!! The low cut top he was wearing in the video, no wonder he said he would leave the country when the programme 'comes out'. I was shocked hearing him talking about his 'passion for fashion' and acting all camp... It was just very odd...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

DDC1990 wrote: »

But to deny that Galvin is the best footballer in Ireland on his day is shamefull. Look at his 2006 season, his 2009 season, the start of his 2010 season. His performance against Cork in th MF Replay was outstanding. Let Paul wear whatever he wants, its no ones business. One of the greatest footballers of this era.

Agree 100%. Best player in the country.

I think it was a very strange interview - he is a strange fish alright but what does that have to do with anything? As GAA fans we should only be concerned with what goes on on the pitch. Personally wouldn't mind if he had been born on the other side of the county bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

I thought Tubridy kept chipping away at him about the fashion thing, he doesn't dress like everyone else so what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

I think that Paul Galvin is to Kerry what Roy Keane was to Man. Utd. He's an outstanding player who's prone to moments of madness on the pitch.

He's not my favourite human being but if he was from Cork, I'd be delighted to have him on the County team, I'm sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

didn't think he was even the best Kerry player, never mind the best in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

A very good footballer, without question, who is his OWN worst enemy. He is an attention seeker, who self destructs every now and then. If he could have controlled his temper, both on and off the pitch, he would not have drawn so much trouble on himself, time and time again. Comments/speculation about his sexual preference do not belong on this thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

DDC1990 wrote: »
    (PS Mods, how is this rediculous thread still open. If a thread started saying Alan Brogan, or Seán Cavenagh was Gay it would be shut down straight away).

Few points I'd like to bring up.
    1. Backseat modding is not tolerated, if you have a problem with a post/topic use the report function.
    2. I'm sure Mr. Galvin is used to snide remarks about his sexuality, as a teacher and someone who wears clothes like that.
    3. Most importantly, THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING GAY.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

I think people should realise that liking fashion and having lots of shoes doesn't make someone gay.

What interested me was that Galvin still hasn't taken responsibility for his actions, its always someone elses fault, Anthony Tohill , Paddy Russell, Cadogan, the Sunday game.

This is the climate created by Jack o' Connor. When Galvin was first breaking on the team, he broke someones jaw in a club game, O'connor got him off the suspention. It would benefit Kerry a lot more if they had a manager who had a sense of fairplay, this would be passed on to the players and you wouldn't see the nasty incidents that have characterised kerrys play over the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mausrour

"This is the climate created by Jack o' Connor."
    Wrong - this is the climate created by the GAA...

Galvin has done silly things on the field and got severly punished but the begrudgers need to keep picking at him until one day they can say "see, he's not that good a footballer". However, it is obvious to anyone that he has carried the Kerry team most days that he plays and he is that good.
    Now, persoanlly, I think he is a bit of a clown to act the way he does - but is still a great footballer.

So now, the begrudgers like, Ryan "the guttersnipe" Tubridy begin picking on about his fashion interests. He didn't have the balls to ask him about his sexuality. But I suppose Tubridy is hardly a specimen worthy of the weekly fashion magazines and maybe is just jealous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Ok,I am going to review this thread post by post and retrospective bans may be given.Read the charter Re: Rumours.
    No poster is to post anything saying Paul Galvin is gay,bisexual or whatever no matter what the interview may have indicated.Perception is not always the reality.

While being gay/bi is normal,we are still not going to discuss this players personal life.

dave.. wrote: »
    What a tool. A passion for fashion. Steamer!!!!

Banned for a week.

wyndhurst wrote: »
    Yeah - but did you see his 'performance' last night? What a TOOL.

Banned for a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

I must say the T-shirt he was wearing in New York was ridiculous. Actually I don't know if you could call it a t-shirt.

Turbridy interviewing sports players is pointless because he just has no interest in it whatsoever.

With regards to his talent as a footballer. Anyone questioning his football ability is just wearing the blinkers. Saying that he's not the best footballer in Kerry.

Gooch and Declan O' Sullivan are tops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

...good footballer, hot tempered, dodgy fashion sense etc...on a completely side note, did anyone else spot Babs in the audience looking up at himself on the monitor, some people would do anything to get on tv these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭vixdname

Just to add to this thread - My wife and I were in Killarney towards the end of the summer this year and went into this bar.
    After a few minutes these two lads walk in, one goes to the bar and looks like he's all excited about something while the other guy stands with his hands on his hips and poses for a few minues while his mate gets the drinks in.
    The lad gets the drinks and both swagger towards where we were sitting, there were a couple of young lads looking over their shoulders at these two lads and my wife and I were saying "Who are these two posers ?" We thought that maybe the guy with the black hair was an international football player or something but if he was I didnt know him from Adam.
    Just after they sat down across from us, the lad with the black hair puts his feet up on the table next to him (There was no one sitting at it) and lies off with his arms behind his head still pouting and posing with his friend looking around frantically to see who was looking at them.
    Two young lads around 18 or 19 years old come over to them and ask them something and the black haired lad tuts and agrees to sign a beer mat for them. To cut a long story short, after another 30 mins of pouting, posing and generally looking ridiculous our two heros swig off the remnants of their drink and swagger out the door.
    I had to find out who they were so I asked the couple at the next table who they were. "That's Paul Galvin I think" was the reply from the kerry lads at the next table. "BIG SWINGIN MICKEY" was my reply "I thought it was someone actually famous".
    Have to say, it was the best laugh I had in a while, the carry on was just unbelieveablely cheesy \ corny.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Didn't see this interview originally but just watched it now on repeat, and I'd have to say he came across fine on it. So I don't see what the problem is. He seems a pretty honest straight up guy, a bit of a rogue of course, but more interesting than some of the clean cut types who just say whatever they think is the politically correct answer while never actually giving you their true opinion on anything.

Take Brian Cody for example, great manager no doubt, but we'll never know what makes him tick because he'll never tell us. Galvin is refreshingly different in a sport dominated by alot of bland characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

just saw the repeat, he comes across as quiet arrogant and cocky and seems to have a chip on his shoulder about the media and the sunday game panelists in particular.

I'm all for a good physical game but the clip of him shoving his fingers in that guys mouth and "hooking" it up? that's taking sportsmanship out of the game and just plain knackerish. a great player doesn't need to resort to that kind of behaviour on the pitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The rampant homophobia on display in this thread is shameful IMO.

Also, the people who think that an interest in fashion etc. equates to homosexuality, I can't really do anything but shake my head.

Thought Galvin came across pretty fine in that interview, every disciplinary incident he was asked about he took full responsibility for, saying it was inappropriate behaviour that he was looking to irradicate from his game.

He's perfectly entitled to not respect the views of the Sunday Game panellists - there are threads started here every couple of weeks where people go on about Brolly and Tohill being shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭lukin

Just saw it there; I had to turn it off after the clips of him in New York. Truly embarrassing,he came across as self-obsessed and full of himself.
    Awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

big into fashion - everyone to their own taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I thought he came across very well. He spoke well, said numerous times how stupid he has been in the past, and that he is trying to eradicate these things from his game.

I think most people on here would slate him regardless of what he did tbh, its very sad, and seems just so backward and embarrassing to me.

I'm not mad on his fashion sense but who cares, its good to have different characters in the game, it would be fierce boring otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I suppose there are times when we just can't see anything negative in those who are from our neck of the woods. While I don't agree with some of the nastiness and innuendo on this thread, it's clear that there are many people from his native county who just cannot (and will never) see anything negative in Paul Galvin. I've heard the most incredible defending of the completely indefensible. It's interesting to see some recent posters on this thread who are defending Paul Galvin and the same posters are clearly from Kerry and have certainly posted in defence of Paul Galvin before. It's a bit tiresome at this stage.

overmantle wrote: »
    I suppose there are times when we just can't see anything negative in those who are from our neck of the woods. While I don't agree with some of the nastiness and innuendo on this thread, it's clear that there are many people from his native county who just cannot (and will never) see anything negative in Paul Galvin. I've heard the most incredible defending of the completely indefensible. It's interesting to see some recent posters on this thread who are defending Paul Galvin and the same posters are clearly from Kerry and have certainly posted in defence of Paul Galvin before. It's a bit tiresome at this stage.

It's certainly more tiresome to have to defend the man's fashion sense.

There's some sort of bizarro reverse-personality cult that's sprung up around Galvin on this board in particular.

It's a bit disturbing at times, highlighted in a particularly ugly fashion in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭shockframe

keane2097 wrote: »

It's a bit disturbing at times, highlighted in a particularly ugly fashion in this thread.

Theres no need to go highlighting galvins taste in fashion again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

keane2097 wrote: »
    Thought Galvin came across pretty fine in that interview, every disciplinary incident he was asked about he took full responsibility for, saying it was inappropriate behaviour that he was looking to irradicate from his game.
    really? I'm pretty sure when asked about that incident he replied "well it shut him up anyway didn't it?" with a snigger but then, seeing that he was getting no soot from ryan tubridy, he got all serious and upright, THEN saying that's something he has to irradicate from his game

magentas wrote: »
    really? I'm pretty sure when asked about that incident he replied "well it shut him up anyway didn't it?" with a snigger but then, seeing that he was getting no soot from ryan tubridy, he got all serious and upright, THEN saying that's something he has to irradicate from his game

He made a joke about it, then responded seriously.

That's a pretty standard human communication style.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've cleaned up this thread, probably deleted too many posts, but I'm getting very tired of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭NoseyMike2010

Paul Galvin = Roy Keane of GAA. He's a hard working footballer.

Every good team has a player that other teams love to hate but their own supporters love.

Man Utd. - Beckham/Ronaldo/Keane
    Liverpool - Gerard
    Munster - Stringer/Quinlan
    Leicester - Back/Johnson
    Clare - Lynch/Fitz
    Waterford - Dan/Mullane

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement