Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

nothing in portarlington :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

The outlook up to and including Christmas Eve ( Friday). Very cold Sunday night with widespread severe frost, ice and with compacted snow in places. A few snow showers too, but most places dry with some freezing fog pockets developing. Lows - 3 to -8 C., but much colder over the snow fields. The bitterly cold conditions will persist for the week and there are no signs of any mild weather. It will be frosty and icy at night, with some freezing fog in places. The frost and ice will persist in places by day, with only minor thaws, despite some sunshine most days and the fog may linger too. Temperatures by day will only get above freezing in some coastal margins, with values probably staying at, or below zero in most places. Values at night will remain very low, and will be -10 C., or lower over the snow fields. In fact, we are probably heading for the coldest December on record in many parts of the country. The distribution of new falls of snow will be more problematical. Present indications suggest that there will be some snow over Munster later Sunday night, on Monday and maybe early Tuesday, heavy in places. Some snow too on Monday over much of Leinster and perhaps south Connacht. Some sleet and snow showers at times over parts of Leinster on Tuesday and Wednesday and over parts of Ulster and parts of Connacht on Wednesday also. Other areas should just see a few flurries and much of Thursday and Christmas Eve (Friday) look like being mostly dry. However, it is an evolving situation re snow, warnings and more detailed forecasts of snow will issue each day, as new data becomes available.

The last line sums it up really:pac: (from met.ie btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Here in north west clare we have snow on the ground - not much but enough to give us what looks like a white wonderland something which rarely occurs in this area. Temperature is currently - 2.9 and falling as dawn approaches. No doubt the sun will rise and all our snow will disappear but we will enjoy it while it lasts. Weather conditions are all relative. We rarely get snow but wind and Atlantic weather is second nature to us. So please bear that in mind when some get excited over a 'few' cms of snow.

Many, many thanks to all those who have worked tirelessly to keep us updated and to those who are on here all year round giving us information, educating us on weather etc. Your hard work is very much appreciated. I notice that some of you have been less obvious over the past few weeks no doubt feeling a little frustrated with all the bickering and drama etc. Now can anyone tell me when we can expect the Atlantic to break through? Would like a nice storm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Have been reading elsewhere that cork city is gone to the dogs, cars being left everywhere, thousands trapped in shopping centres, water problems and loads of crashes.

Some Dublin people must have been spotted.

RoisinD wrote: »
    We rarely get snow but wind and Atlantic weather is second nature to us. So please bear that in mind when some get excited over a 'few' cms of snow.

Many, many thanks to all those who have worked tirelessly to keep us updated and to those who are on here all year round giving us information, educating us on weather etc. Your hard work is very much appreciated. I notice that some of you have been less obvious over the past few weeks no doubt feeling a little frustrated with all the bickering and drama etc. Now can anyone tell me when we can expect the Atlantic to break through? Would like a nice storm ;)

Yes I agree roisind - the experts don't seem to be here as much - maybe cos they are sick of everyone bickering as you say!! Or maybe it's cos there has been no snow (or not a lot anyway) in Leinster ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

morning. not much snow fell last night i dont think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

Some Dublin people must have been spotted

Replt: Lord even we in the 'hills' managed much better than that....sense folk sense!!!!!:o:o

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    morning. not much snow fell last night i dont think.

Nope dont think so sunbabe - still there though so looks pretty!! I'm hoping Monday/Tuesday we get a bit more! Roads are pretty bad around though - no buses running on the northside except the no. 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

leahyl wrote: »
    Yes I agree roisind - the experts don't seem to be here as much - maybe cos they are sick of everyone bickering as you say!! Or maybe it's cos there has been no snow (or not a lot anyway) in Leinster

Or mayb e the models are so volatile, it's impossible to predict so keeping quiet is the lesser of two evils??????? Believe in MT I say:)

Sheba891 wrote: »
    Or mayb e the models are so volatile, it's impossible to predict so keeping quiet is the lesser of two evils??????? Believe in MT I say:)

True true Sheba! they don't know basically!! Haha! Just kidding - they're a great bunch!:)

• Advertisement

Nope dont think so sunbabe - still there though so looks pretty!! I'm hoping Monday/Tuesday we get a bit more! Roads are pretty bad around though - no buses running on the northside except the no. 3

oh :eek: wow. well wont be going into town to study today. wooohooo

I expect there will be more snow in cork over the coming days,that will make what you have now look like frost.
    Prepare for several inches.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Could get a grazing here on the east coast in the next hour or two. Line of ppn over the Irish Sea looks to be pivoting.

I expect there will be more snow in cork over the coming days,that will make what you have now look like frost.

Black briar - that coming from you is very welcome indeed:D

Would you recommend I complete my christmas shopping today then?:D

lol excellent. we had enough of frost. bring it on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

1500 people stranded in mahon?? is that true?

Can't speak for the figure but there was some major snafu, see my other posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Unbelievably, we have doubled the amount of lying snow here overnight to 5.5 inches now!

Really didn't expect this at all - easily the most snow I ever remember lying here:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

2 or 3 cms. which is a lot for us. nothing like your foot from 2 weeks ago
    Just to say its five cm here in Douglas. Gorgeous powdery stuff too.

BTW let's cut out the cork v Dublin crap. I am delighted for anyone who gets snow.
    Cork lads are in no position to boast when we get snow its so rare. Let's just enjoy it. I hope the dubs get some today. Well possibly with the exception of ffarrell. He's very quiet this morning!

Spindle wrote: »
    <RANT>

I was there basically was just muppets all leaving at the same time, f:)

No exactly the centre was closed down then reopened ~ go figure

Black briar - that coming from you is very welcome indeed:D

Would you recommend I complete my christmas shopping today then?:D

YES!!!!

i think ffarrell got banned or warned

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    How much have you had in Cork? You'd swear it was in metres by some of the reports!

18mm was reported by EICK for a landing plane.

YES!!!!

Hopefully I can get out to do it! Word of advice - never leave Christmas shopping til the last minute cos otherwise you may be hit with a *huge snowstorm (*exaggeration - directed at corkonians:D)!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

YES!!!!

Avoided posting last night due to him. Anyway, nice bit of snow last night, then about 11:30pm we got about a 30 min shower of grapel. About -4c when I was driving into work. The road from Macroom to Ballincollig was bad.

Hopefully I can get out to do it! Word of advice - never leave Christmas shopping til the last minute cos otherwise you may be hit with a *huge snowstorm (*exaggeration - directed at corkonians:D)!!:eek:

have mine dont since november.:D not risking life and limb to get around crazy cork people at christmas to get presents. nice calm shopping in november. would be tempted to venture into town to see snow, but i fear it maybe all slush now

GavinH wrote: »
    Avoided posting last night due to him. Anyway, nice bit of snow last night, then about 11:30pm we got about a 30 min shower of grapel. About -4c when I was driving into work. The road from Macroom to Ballincollig was bad.
    Thats a primary route,I know it well.
    Was it not gritted? or did they only grit from the dual carriageway on?
    Do keep posting updates for that stretch and your area during this spell whether dry or snowy-thanks

Redisle wrote: »
    Wasn't there someone posted in this thread earlier saying they had just gotten out of Mahon Point and were one of the last cars??

I reported the incident during it heights, the mention of numbers on this board has been posted long after the event was over. It was nasty and all involved are to blame and it was a bleedin emergency.

GavinH wrote: »

Yes GavinH I agree that guy was insufferable - so glad he's gone - I mean we all like a bit if banter but he was ridiculous! I can't believe he wasn't banned earlier - he's been banging on about cork for ages!

Anyway back to the main topic of conversation - IT SNOWED in Cork last night did you know everyone in other counties??!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Hhhhmmm you're being EXTREMELY positive!:D

QTF!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Another windswept clear and snowless night for Waterford County...come back snow ! All is forgiven !

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement