Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Im exhausted from viewing weather boards to the wee small hours when should be sleeping. Still have hope when the wind changes to the E N/E. Man its hard work being a snowaholic with no snow. Still alot ahead to be hopeful off, after all these models have changed alot every day and we still have the right temps for snow next week. addictive viewing.

'Just when you think your out, they pull you back in'
    even when the winds change doesnt mean the east will get anything,alot of talk of the south/south east geting the snow for sat/sun
    all the talk of the east getting snow seems to keep getting pushed back 24 hours or more so my uneducated toughts would be that the east will get very little snow unless the irish sea throws streamers up tomorrow
    fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Couple of light flurries in Ennis during the day nothing to write home about
    All quiet now but god knows what we'll be waking up to :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

well west got a bit of snow (galway) about 2 hours ago thats it so far, i went out and did 3 mile walk with our german shepard lovely night! brought measuring tape id say just close to an inch of snow at the moment, however brother is outside letterkenny he reckons he has 1.5 feet so far:eek::eek::eek: wow wow we wow

Depth of snow continuing to grow slowly but surely in Letterkenny....massive falls have eased up but there still the odd light fall...radar looks like more to come in the night..fingers crossed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Have just been reading through all tonights posts, its amazing that for such a small country, the contrast of weather conditions for different parts of the country is so extreme.

Its a shame that the minute Corkonians discuss the conditions in their part of the country they are attacked or told to stop hogging the thread, from what I can gather, the snow discussion for Cork lasted all of about 3 hours, compared to the weeks given to many other parts of the country in recent weeks. Be fair, and let people discuss the weather without constant sniping.:( Rant over:)

Definately not as much snow here as a couple of weeks ago(w.Cork). Was in the city earlier when the heaviest flakes were falling, about 7:15, must say i wish i had my camera when i was on Patrick st. It looked magical, and was thinking about all the kids in doing Xmas shopping in this! Must have been so exciting for them.

Not looking forward to the driving over the next few days though:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

rebel10 wrote: »
    Have just been reading through all tonights posts, its amazing that for such a small country, the contrast of weather conditions for different parts of the country is so extreme.

Its a shame that the minute Corkonians discuss the conditions in their part of the country they are attacked or told to stop hogging the thread, from what I can gather, the snow discussion for Cork lasted all of about 3 hours, compared to the weeks given to many other parts of the country in recent weeks. Be fair, and let people discuss the weather without constant sniping.:( Rant over:)

Definately not as much snow here as a couple of weeks ago(w.Cork). Was in the city earlier when the heaviest flakes were falling, about 7:15, must say i wish i had my camera when i was on Patrick st. It looked magical, and was thinking about all the kids in doing Xmas shopping in this! Must have been so exciting for them.

Well said Rebel10!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

well said. totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

bbc have downgraded their forcast no more snow by looks of things, monaghan got very little 2 inches at most and most of that has thawed, polar low me arse:rolleyes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

couldnt agree more,was great to read posts from around the country when snow arrived,i presonaly am dissapointed for the east getting very little out of this but glad cork got their snow after having to indure posts like"your too far south,il eat my hat" blah blah blah,enjoy&dont forget to post pics :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Well, left Cork City at 6pm and straight into a blizzard just outside Blackpool. Blackpool to Rathduff- 1hr 00 mins. Rathduff to Buttevant - 2hrs 40 mins Buttevant - Adare 1hr. 4 1/2 hours in total to do a trip that takes about 1hr in normal conditions! :D

Saw 3 crashes on route, numerous people sliding around the road and one dickhead in front of me who insisted on getting out and making snowballs to throw at passing traffic every time the traffic ground to a halt. He eventually got the hint when a gritter truck nearly flattened him in to the cats eyes as it was coming down the road :D Oh and almost forgot, "Driving home for Christmas" was played about 200 times. I'm going to be breaking out in cold sweats and hearing it in my nightmares tonight.

Roads are absolutely lethal on the N20, especially the quarry road outside Buttevant. For anyone taking that route this weekend, be advised that if the snow continues you're going to face a similiar 4 hour trek to get here. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

deaglan169 wrote: »
    bbc have downgraded their forcast no more snow by looks of things, monaghan got very little 2 inches at most and most of that has thawed, polar low me arse:rolleyes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/1
    Do not worry about downgrades on computer generated forecasts as they are based on the models which are struggling to adapt to the atmospheric conditions at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Sheba891

Am being selfish now as we've had more snow than ever before (well in living memory) in letterkenny but would love some more to make it a real snow event:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

please be snowy when I wake up. that is all I ask. please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I'm happy with my snowfall today only lasted a small while but there is a nice bit on the floor.Walked to shop earlier car's just left on the side of the road hill's everywhere here in Cobh

Theres reports in the cork city that there is 1500 people stranded in mahon point lol crazy nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Sheba891 wrote: »
    Am being selfish now as we've had more snow than ever before (well in living memory) in letterkenny but would love some more to make it a real snow event:D

Thats my mentality all night as well, always want just one more shower to make it look better :D

To be fair though it is totally epic, I was expecting no more than the usual 5cm and never would have dreamt of getting 5 times that amount. Still snowing right now and could be quite prolonged if it hits us right so the fun might not be over yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Very light sprinkling of sleet in Thurles at 21.30hrs.
    Nothing to speak of really.

No more sleet has fallen since then.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

It took me over 2 hours to get from Mahon Point to Ballinlough, the Sekhard road was a nightmare, bus doing a pinball impression going down the hill.

That is the last time I ever go shopping in Mahon Point!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Harps wrote: »
    Thats my mentality all night as well, always want just one more shower to make it look better :D

yeah. you always want a bit more. by the way the ruler disappeared beneath the snow on the last measurement of the wheelie bin:D

dave1982 wrote: »
    I'm happy with my snowfall today only lasted a small while but there is a nice bit on the floor.Walked to shop earlier car's just left on the side of the road hill's everywhere here in Cobh

Theres reports in the cork city that there is 1500 people stranded in mahon point lol crazy nonsense

1500 people stranded in mahon?? is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Man u have it so wrong..its cork people that come on here bitching about the cork snubble..look u got some snow no-one is Jealous but at least I wont have to see a corkian with a sad face for a while!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

sunbabe08 wrote: »

Yeah is it true? Crazy stuff if it is :eek:

• Advertisement

love the sound and feel of snow when walking on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

ha ha no:)

sunbabe08 wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056122797

Left out the word thread in my first post:rolleyes:

I know they cancelled the cinema tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

How much have you had in Cork? You'd swear it was in metres by some of the reports!

while the thought of sleeping in a shopping mall sound interesting, especially one with a 13 cinema theatre, kfc, mcdonalds, and tescos. i dont think i would want to sleep there at all to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Wasn't there someone posted in this thread earlier saying they had just gotten out of Mahon Point and were one of the last cars??

Harps wrote: »
    How much have you had in Cork? You'd swear it was in metres by some of the reports!

first bit of decent snow we've had this winter. havent checked how much. but we got a decent

Hang on i'm not standing over the 1500 stranded in mahon point statement:D:D:D

Just said i'd report for the lols.

In Cork cm's = feet in snow terms :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Yeah, here.

That was at 9.30 so that 1500 ppl thing is a load of crap id say.

Would like to know what happened there though, it does sound like lots of people got stuck earlier on.

• Advertisement

Redisle wrote: »
    Yeah, here.

That was at 9.30 so that 1500 ppl thing is a load of crap id say.

Would like to know what happened there though, it does sound like lots of people got stuck earlier on.

All it would take is a crash by light's coming out of Mahon point at 9 or quarter past to cause mayhem

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement