Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National: Severe Cold/ Snow Discussion (Thanks to all!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    what happened to the 4 provinces threads? :confused:

things look promising:D

it was too messy so by common consent weathercheck went with this option instead. Anyone want to make bets on what hourly report will the cold front hit malin?! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

dsmythy wrote: »
    1-2-3-4 I declare a forecast war.

I can see it now... Front PAGE monday morning..

MET ÉIREANN HQ SNOWED UNDER
    AFter them saying Snowchance of it being bad?

ArtSmart wrote: »
    s'not fair. half-assed summer ,now this crap. i tells ye, it's not on. not on.

and who's gonna pay for the extra fuel to heat my house? dat's righ - ME. that's who.

bloody polar bears / hippies. whatevr

the governments extra fuel allowance won't go far anyway, not that many of us are even getting it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Going to post this in the general thread but i just went through some of MT Craniums posts as i wanted to confirm to myself when he first mentioned this event. On the 15th of November MT said

One of the better scenarios I foresee for snowfall comes with the December full moon and "northern max" event of 21 December. This is bound to produce an intense storm over western Europe and I am giving something like 2-1 odds for this to be a cold weather storm event with at least some snow or sleet in the mix for Ireland,

Brilliant call MT

nice one mick - was just about to do the same myself before I saw your post - I knew he called it a couple of weeks back and I was surprised at his level of certainty even then - but to even conceive of what the charts are now showing back on the 15th of november is seriously impressive.....actually it's a little bit scary. From now on I shall call him Nostradamium!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Saying as we will be all at home next week ( we hope ! :)) ...heres something for the adults..kids to do !

http://www.marcels-kid-crafts.com/snowflake-pattern.html

• Advertisement

I have noticed that a large number of people around here may be actually in love with Mr. M.T. Cranium. . . :P :P :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I think the reason ME / RTE are slow to commit to this and give a good warning to the public is because they have been told not to. We all know there is a shortage of grit and salt in the country and we cant get anymore until next week. If they cant keep the roads open everyone will be going mental saying that they knew this was coming and they did nothing about it. But if they downplay it as much as possible they can give it the old "we really wern't expecting anything this bad blah blah".
    That wouldn't happen in our lovely little country....

15 tonnes of grit left according to your man from NRA earlier - if we were using 5 tonne a night in the last spell & I saw 1 road in Bray gritted ( The N11) how far will their 15 last ... Not a lot! So they only grit major roads... what are the major roads ?? The ones listed on their site !! So grid lock.. if only the motorways & big roads are done - problem as always is getting to them ....
    Also remember their last error in January & the queues in Tesco were out the door & then nada ...... Think they got a rap on the knuckles over that one .The retailers have already lost a week of christmas with the last weather outbreak.... Who owns ME & RTE ?? The lovely people up in the Dail... & do they really want a disasterous christmas week at the tills....... Think ME will be making a bigger statement tomorrow. What bugs me about them is the Nowcast rather than forecast. Even with my limited knowledge I think I could do that !

I didnt see the last RTE one myself - was it a rerun of the earlier forecast maybe & its not inclusive of the last run....?

Time will tell,

I have noticed that a large number of people around here may be actually in love with Mr. M.T. Cranium. . . :P :P :P :D

I actually think I am - and I'm not really a big fan of......you know.....man love.....but hey, gotta try everything once!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

M.T. Cranium is a weather God
    I really enjoy his forecasts he deserves all the praise he gets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Can't wait to rub it into ye Dubs now come Friday morning: "Snow here, snow there, snow flippin everywhere!":D I hope the whole country gets a good plastering but hopefully this will make up for the pathetic efforts of the snow gods around Galway the last time. My God if it rains...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Can someone please explain how BBC weather has Dublin Pretty much basking in sunshine? There 5 day forecast is sunny- to partially cloudy so is it a case they dont really put an effort into Dublin/ Ireland?
    very confusing!!!!

I'd rely on MT more though- its just strange of the conflict

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Still getting the remainder of the previous downing off here and i would say another day it will be gone,snowman finally lost its head today :D,but i had an idea it would be just thawed in time for the next batch!
    I love the snow it's the thaw pees me off, throw in the freezing fog and the back roads of Kildare, pure nightmare :eek:
    Grit?don't need it they say,and if we need it out here on the back roads there is not enough.
    What about the corners and the hills then :confused:.
    Puts a downer on it.
    But all in all if it can hold off till at least mid next week and then bury us it would be a Christmas to remember :D.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I can see it now... Front PAGE monday morning..

MET ÉIREANN HQ SNOWED UNDER
    AFter them saying Snowchance of it being bad?
    very detailed bbc news 24 forecast just now and they had the snowy low more over england with no snow over eastern Ireland bar a few showers and nothing at all in the south.
    So bear in mind disappointment is possib;e.
    Disregarding ukmo meterologist opinion is not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Anyone spot the smirk on Evelyn before she nearly chocked saying widespread heavy snow for the weekend :D

Its salt not grit thats important, we have endless grit supplies but limited salt. (this is for new posters who haven't heard before ) salt melts ire and snow down as far as -6 or -7. That is why it is primarily used instead of grit or sand. I lot of people last year were giving out that the councils wouldn't just use same instead of salt, well it just doesn't have the same effect! I think the 5000 tonnes per day figure will be different now as they are using a lower concentration, but if the amounts forecast are right, its snow ploughs that will be more important than gritters. . !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ciaranm

123balltv wrote: »
    M.T. Cranium is a weather God
    I really enjoy his forecasts he deserves all the praise he gets

He's really staking his reputation on all this.

I for one have been dispensing his forecasts around my office as though they were my own. So my undeserved, stolen reputation is also on the line.

Balls. Been waiting up to watch the sky news forecast.. and it just switched to CBS News.
    But on the plus side, they did show an amazing scene from Ohio, where a lighthouse sat completely frozen over. Fantastic looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Can someone please explain how BBC weather has Dublin Pretty much basking in sunshine? There 5 day forecast is sunny- to partially cloudy so is it a case they dont really put an effort into Dublin/ Ireland?
    very confusing!!!!

I'd rely on MT more though- its just strange of the conflict

The BBC are British so therefore would concentrate on Britain and NI.

sillybird wrote: »
    The BBC are British so therefore would concentrate on Britain and NI.
    yes but they have the low much further east on news 24 just now which would greatly reduce the snow in the east and south!
    No doubt though even their current interpretation is subject to some change in the next 48hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winterstale

Have been an avid reader/voyer since last years big chill. Really enjoying the build up and information given by the experts. Feel like a child on Christmas eve waiting for the present I asked for. Hope it happens. This whole thing plays major havoc with the zzzzzzzzzz's, will sleep in march or maybe have to wait to April:D

go to bed leahyl - it's much too late for you still to be up - you a girl an all!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

yes but they have the low much further east on news 24 just now which would greatly reduce the snow in the east and south!
    No doubt though even their current interpretation is subject to some change in the next 48hrs

I just saw that. It's so unpredictable at the moment for the East! Its makes exciting chart watching?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

alfa beta wrote: »
    nice one mick - was just about to do the same myself before I saw your post - I knew he called it a couple of weeks back and I was surprised at his level of certainty even then - but to even conceive of what the charts are now showing back on the 15th of november is seriously impressive.....actually it's a little bit scary. From now on I shall call him Nostradamium!
    alfa beta wrote: »
    go to bed leahyl - it's much too late for you still to be up - you a girl an all!!

:o I can't sleep god dammit!! This is too exciting!

Good night everyone, have decided to sleep in anticipation of late nights of snow watching and waiting to come! All aboard the greenland express! hup! (at least thats what everyone else is calling it! )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »

not going to happen tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mothel

Yay, national thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I am also def gone this time:D good night fellow weather enthusiasts (ie. Fanatics!)

leahyl wrote: »

jaysus - wait til tomorrow night!!

you're right though - rollercoasters are fun - what were my winters like before boards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

What would they be basing this on bb? There own hunch or earlier model runs?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Night all, keep a seat on that roller coaster for me in the morning. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The BBC aren't gospel....now I wasn't born back then but apparently they mad a bit of a boo boo in late 1987.

;) :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement