Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Loss/Diet for the winter

Options
  • 11-12-2010 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

I’ve been managing to keep the weight down for winter so far. Am approx 68.5kg before breakfast most mornings. About 5’8” and would like to get down to about 64kg racing weight as I hope to race next year. Wife had a baby recently so now have 2 under 16 months so don’t have much time for cycling at the moment especially with bad weather.

What’s helping me keep the weight down is an app I downloaded to record what I’m eating. Makes me much more conscious of calories etc. However what I feel I need now is an actual planner for what I’m going to eat for the day/week so I can put in place some sort of formal plan which, if stuck to, will guarantee I shed a few more kgs. Any recommendations for websites/apps that do this specifically for a cyclists diet?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

My post doesn't answer the question you've asked but I think it should be pointed out that your current height and weight combo will not hinder you much racing in Ireland ... but your lack of bike time will. There's guys doing the Ras at your height with a few more kg than you currently have.

I'd recommend trying to plan time in the saddle rather than planning on how to drop weight over the winter.

If this will be your first year racing I'd imagine given your current stable weight that you'll drop a bit more as the racing season progresses without even having to work on it.

Have you got a turbo and are you putting much time on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I’ve been managing to keep the weight down for winter so far. Am approx 68.5kg before breakfast most mornings. About 5’8” and would like to get down to about 64kg racing weight as I hope to race next year. Wife had a baby recently so now have 2 under 16 months so don’t have much time for cycling at the moment especially with bad weather.

What’s helping me keep the weight down is an app I downloaded to record what I’m eating. Makes me much more conscious of calories etc. However what I feel I need now is an actual planner for what I’m going to eat for the day/week so I can put in place some sort of formal plan which, if stuck to, will guarantee I shed a few more kgs. Any recommendations for websites/apps that do this specifically for a cyclists diet?

I think that it would be more beneficial to answer why you perceive that you need to be 64kg in order to race in Ireland?
    Answer that one first. I know many people who race and are well in excess of your present weight not to mind your target weight.
    I weigh 88kg, I will be starting to race next year. While my weight is naturally way to high (i am the same height as yourself) - I dont feel the need to do anything drastic about it. If I suffer the consequences of that, then so be it.
    However there are some pretty successful cyclists on this very website that are probably 6kgs heavier than you presently. I would read some posts of what the races were like last year and speak to guys that were involved. It should give you an idea as to what is required.

If you want to simply get down to 64kg as a target/body image thing, then when I was interested in losing weight I used a calrie counter website, and simply weighed and counted everything. It worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

If this will be your first year racing I'd imagine given your current stable weight that you'll drop a bit more as the racing season progresses without even having to work on it.

Very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Unfortunately I don't have a turbo trainer. I'm considering getting one. What would you recommend as I have no previous dealings with them. Thanks for advice. Suppose time in the saddle is more NB but for me time is a luxury I don't have at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Unfortunately I don't have a turbo trainer. I'm considering getting one. What would you recommend as I have no previous dealings with them. Thanks for advice. Suppose time in the saddle is more NB but for me time is a luxury I don't have at present.
    Do a search on turbo's - done to death at this stage. Kids go to bed - hop on for an hour or so - you ll be grand.

• Advertisement

Boards cycling wiki to the rescue: http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Turbo_Trainers

Like kennyb3 says, wait till the kids are in bed and fit a good structured hour in twice a week, or three times a week if you can. Surely you can manage to free up 2 or 3 hours over the course of a week? (If not, I doubt you'll manage to find time to race!)
    Kids go to bed, 9:30 jump on the turbo for an hour, have shower, chill out on the couch for a short while then go to bed.

main reasons I want to lose weight are as follows:

1: healthier as I am slightly overweight and always have been. Did a bmi test in 08 when I was hurling seriously and had the highest bmi on the team of 25 despite being top 10 in terms of fitness, towards end of season prob top 5.

2: want to improve my power to weight ratio. Common sense dictates the lighter you are the quicker you climb and I like riding hills. PB for Howth hill climb is 7.30 and want to improve on this next year.have been reading cyclists training bible and would love to do tests mentioned in the book

3. Suppose I am slightly vein in that I'd like to have a washboard stomach. Tired of having a layer of flab.

I think if I can't get out on the bike the best alternative is to concentrate on something I can control. I have been using myfitnesspal as a calorie counter but that's at the end of each day. While it has worked to a certain extent, I would like to graduate onto a diet planner/tracker so I can determine calories in advance of eating. I know I can use myfitnesspal but am more interested in something aimed specifically at a cycling diet.

To further elaborate I would like something with recommended meal plans. Breakfast x has 350kcal, lunch y has 500kcal, dinner z has 650kcal. Various fruits and snacks make up remainder.

I think if I can't get out on the bike the best alternative is to concentrate on something I can control.
    Dropping weight, especially when not training, can result in a drop in power. Therefore any power to weight gains from the weight loss could be negated by the power loss.
    I'm not an expert on this so maybe somebody with greater knowledge can comment, but it seems that trying power to weight improvements through weight loss alone is far from ideal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

its-your-protection-against-a-weight-problem-31410-1259255896-15.jpg

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My BMI is about 25.5, and I managed to keep up with a lot of guys about half my age during my first season of club racing this year

I would like to lose a few kg, but it will not make a great deal of difference to my racing. I am more concerned about maintaining (and improving) my power output, which I am unlikely to do if I lose too much weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Academic arguments about power loss through excessive dieting are all very well, but if you've a great slab of lard where your abs should be it's not good from any perspective.

Eat healthily and moderately and exercise regularly and you shouldn't have any difficulty maintaining a flattish stomach and adequate power/weight ratio.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

The hills are never really that long enough for weight to be a big issue in irish racing, it is all about weight to power ratio

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Billycake

I might as well throw in my thoughts on this one......check out a book by a guy called Matt Fitzgerald called "Racing Weight". Its fairly in depth and he talks a lot of sense (IMHO) on the whole weight issue and how to set your target weight, body composition etc. Good luck with the racing next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Whether you're overweight has nothing to do with your BMI. It's a desperately poor measurement that doesn't take into account muscle mass, so anyone who plays sport will appear to get more overweight the more muscle they build. According to BMI, I'm clinically obese despite doing a hundred kilometres a week on the bike to and from work and training for or playing rugby two or three times a week. My brother's in the healthy range, despite doing no exercise and smoking like a chimney.

Anything that classes Brian O'Driscoll as obese clearly isn't a great measure of health.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

64kgs for a man of 5'8? I would of thought that was seriously underweight no??? A teenage boy pf 5'8 maybe but I think you need to think about why you want to be that weight. Lance is 78kgs and not much taller?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

To further elaborate I would like something with recommended meal plans. Breakfast x has 350kcal, lunch y has 500kcal, dinner z has 650kcal. Various fruits and snacks make up remainder.

Ok so you have asked about the specifics of meal calories. Now I can't actually give those specifics but I would just like to offer my thoughts on the whole healthy diet thing anyway. To decide on a weight loss diet signifies changing to a particular diet that is not sufficient in calories to achieve the weight gain, but it also means a permanent shift to a diet that is more healthy and which ultimately will maintain a new body weight. Using calorie counting works for most people going to weight loss clubs like weight watchers. I think it works to educate people about foods and they learn to avoid certain foods for certain reasons but for a long term change, you do need to ensure that the food you are eating is satisfying and that it is what you need at a certain time.

I would focus on choosing healthy ingredients which will satisfy your needs for your three meals so that you will not be tempted to eat an unhealthy snack in between. Certainly you will experience some hunger in between meals if it is not enough calories until you get used to it. You may already have begun this process and you might be on the right track. I myself emphasis high fibre carbohydrate foods (porriage, brown bread, whole pasta), low fat milk and plenty of vegetables (also high fibre but different fibre). Through trial and error as well as using a calorie counter you could organise a varied diet that will contain the right amount of calories. And controversial as it sounds I think cutting alcohol out completely helps alot!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    64kgs for a man of 5'8? I would of thought that was seriously underweight no??? A teenage boy pf 5'8 maybe but I think you need to think about why you want to be that weight. Lance is 78kgs and not much taller?

I have a summer weight of about 60 kg at 5'10". It depends a lot on your body type; I'm naturally very skinny. More than 65 kg is excess flab on the torso for me. At the same time, I have a measly enough power output, though the low weight stands to me on the hills :)

Whether you're overweight has nothing to do with your BMI. It's a desperately poor measurement that doesn't take into account muscle mass, so anyone who plays sport will appear to get more overweight the more muscle they build. According to BMI, I'm clinically obese despite doing a hundred kilometres a week on the bike to and from work and training for or playing rugby two or three times a week. My brother's in the healthy range, despite doing no exercise and smoking like a chimney.

Anything that classes Brian O'Driscoll as obese clearly isn't a great measure of health.

Agree with you to some extent but I know for a fact I'm overweight by a few kgs. It's obvious when I have a bit of a gut. I have always eaten that bit too much and even when I was putting in a lot of mileage/hurling training I couldn't get rid of the belly even if it's not that much to get rid of so I definitely put it down to my diet. Have cut out the majority of crap, don't drink alcohol apart from once or twice a year and that would be a limited amount.

eoghan84 wrote: »
    Ok so you have asked about the specifics of meal calories. Now I can't actually give those specifics but I would just like to offer my thoughts on the whole healthy diet thing anyway. To decide on a weight loss diet signifies changing to a particular diet that is not sufficient in calories to achieve the weight gain,

This statement is slightly confusing. Do you mean weight loss?

I’m not talking about reducing my food intake. I’m talking about eating the right types of food that cap my weight gain. On average I’m consuming 2000calories a day. Now if this is made up of rubbish like chocolate, saturated fat, refined carbs etc that is no good to me. I don’t do eat like this though, I have a good diet. Porridge for brekkie (30g) every morning, juiced fruit (oranges, apples, pears), wholemeal bread, pasta, white meat (turkey, chicken), lots of fruit, some yoghurt, that kinda stuff.

Guess I'll just google a website that advises on meal planning.

• Advertisement

Coronal wrote: »
    I have a summer weight of about 60 kg at 5'10". It depends a lot on your body type; I'm naturally very skinny. More than 65 kg is excess flab on the torso for me. At the same time, I have a measly enough power output, though the low weight stands to me on the hills :)

how about the average German?

The average German seems to be larger than me, judging by clothing sizing. I reckon there's about 5 kgs between me and what they class as small. I am quite slim, like, but by no means at an unhealthy level.

I can't really help you with the meal planning; once I cycle over 100 km a week I eat everything in sight. What I do find quite good, though, is a regular and frequent eating pattern; eating the same amount of food, but in smaller doses seems to kick the metabolism in a bit more than three large meals in the day*. For me, anyway. I think.

As other people have said, though, once you start racing you'll probably drop off the weight anyway. Or maybe gain weight, but lose fat. Which is what you're kinda looking for anyway :)

*Disclaimer; I know nothing about this and am quite possibly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

I'd second "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Myself and the other half started on the caveman diet today.
    Were not really over weight just want to lose a bit of the belly.
    Was up shopping this morning and with the restriction on food it hit home the amount of crap we put into our bodies.
    85% of food on offer is not allowed in the eating plan,but the shopping I came back with was very healthy.
    I am 6ft 1 and 84kg,workout a bit and do a lot of cardio hope to shed any excess fat.
    Missus is 43 kg and wants to drop back to 40kg she is of Asian origin hence v petite.
    Will see how it goes,going to go through the 3 stages and see how we get on.
    Anyone else tried this eating plan before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Dr. No

As other posters have said, having a low weight is not a big priority for racing in Ireland. In preparing to race there are more important areas for you to concentrate on. I understand that with having two small children you don't much time to train, but when you do have time, you should go out on club runs and ride with guys faster than you. That way you will get used to following wheels safely and the speed/acceleration of bunch riding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

I agree with lumen, eat sensibly and excercise, 3 balanced meals a day and no snacks inbetween have helped me to lose 10 Kg since may, helped a lot with the decent summer so clocked up plenty of miles as well but good luck over the xmas when it will be especially tough:eek:

Coronal wrote: »
    The average German seems to be larger than me, judging by clothing sizing. I reckon there's about 5 kgs between me and what they class as small. I am quite slim, like, but by no means at an unhealthy level.

I can't really help you with the meal planning; once I cycle over 100 km a week I eat everything in sight. What I do find quite good, though, is a regular and frequent eating pattern; eating the same amount of food, but in smaller doses seems to kick the metabolism in a bit more than three large meals in the day*. For me, anyway. I think.

As other people have said, though, once you start racing you'll probably drop off the weight anyway. Or maybe gain weight, but lose fat. Which is what you're kinda looking for anyway :)

*Disclaimer; I know nothing about this and am quite possibly wrong.

What’s the equivalent of the word “like” in German? J

I think you hit the nail on the had there. What I’m actually looking to do is lose the fat I have more so than weight. Just realised that now. If I was 75kg but hadn’t a pick on me I’d be delighted. That’s what I’d call racing weight, when I just have practically no fat/flab.

beagle001 wrote: »
    Myself and the other half started on the caveman diet today.
    Were not really over weight just want to lose a bit of the belly.
    Was up shopping this morning and with the restriction on food it hit home the amount of crap we put into our bodies.
    85% of food on offer is not allowed in the eating plan,but the shopping I came back with was very healthy.
    I am 6ft 1 and 84kg,workout a bit and do a lot of cardio hope to shed any excess fat.
    Missus is 43 kg and wants to drop back to 40kg she is of Asian origin hence v petite.
    Will see how it goes,going to go through the 3 stages and see how we get on.
    Anyone else tried this eating plan before?

That's interesting, my wife is Chinese. Her sister is here at the moment as we had a baby about a month ago. She puts oil in absolutely everything. But apart from that, it's all fresh food the chinese cook, very little refined/processed food. Surprised your missus eats a lot of rubbish.

What’s the equivalent of the word “like” in German? J
    I'm not actually sure, I've mostly only learned formal German (I'm actually Irish) :)
    I think you hit the nail on the had there. What I’m actually looking to do is lose the fat I have more so than weight. Just realised that now. If I was 75kg but hadn’t a pick on me I’d be delighted. That’s what I’d call racing weight, when I just have practically no fat/flab.
    I'm not sure eating properly will help that. I'm by no means an expert, but exercise is probably the easiest way to get to where you want! As previously recommended, a turbo may be the best option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭eoghan84

This statement is slightly confusing. Do you mean weight loss?

I'm sorry I meant shifting to a diet which will cause weight loss, yes.

Sounds like you've a good diet, good man. I would imagine in that case then it lies on the aerobic exercise side to produce the weight loss; to increase your energy expenditure without increasing your intake. But it does sound like you've a healthy weight for your height....

Advertisement