Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Give eircom good advice and you could win €100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Welcome to Boards.ie .

You should always try to reply to people whether or not you have an answer. I dont mean tell them BS, I mean let them know regularly how your query is going and if there are any anticipated delays. If you are not sure it will be 2 weeks, say that you are not sure (not that it will be done in two weeks!).

I was messed about with a certain mobile operator when I phoned up with a problem. It went on for 4 weeks (constant phoning and getting messed about).

I ventured onto a web forum not too differant from Boards and complained about my treatment. I got a much better service and satisfactory outcome from this medium.

My advice is to use this medium as frequent and efficiently as possible. Its more personal and allows a large company like Eircom to interact with people who really do care about customer service!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Welcome to boards.ie - you've made a brave step, as some of your most vocal critics lurk here, but it's good that you're stepping up to the mark to engage with customers in such an open way - it will go down well!

On boards, my advice would be to be open on everything, offer plenty of information on your products/services/availability etc....there's the sticky function for resource type threads - give information that users, and helpers to other users will find a valuable resource.

In terms of advice to eircom in the wider business sense: you're getting hammered by alternatives be it FWA & mobiles for voice & internet separately, or dare I say UPC for triple play. You need to compete, as your market share is diminishing as people wake up that arguably better, cheaper alternatives exist, that don't have as many barriers that availing of your services incur such as minimum contracts etc.
    A great way to capture people would be to offer triple or quadruple play - similar to BT in Britain with their digital terrestrial PVR, with internet delivered VOD...from a good source. On the consumer side, young people are your future - they want cost effectiveness & functionality - not being able to access Playstation network through the netopia routers is a killer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Welcome on board.

Advice: I left my last supplier early (see separate very angry thread) and partly the reason was poor communication and dishonesty. When I rang them with any of the several problems I encountered they lied about remedies and callbacks. I returned to Eircom because of their good customer service so:

1. maintain the good customer service
    2. be honest with the customer
    3. provide the service we are paying for

As long as the price is right you'll keep me and many like me

ooh and yeah freebies help;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Aceform

Customer service is not great. So my piece of advise is to improve the customer service and the way the Customer Care agents respond to the calls. They can be more helpful.

I was an eircom customer for last 8 odd years. Recently we moved house, and I ordered for an eircom landline and broadband. I was told that I'll be connected in 5 working days. Even after 3 weeks there was no answer. So I rang the customer care again, they mentioned that I should get a call in next few days. But no calls what so ever. I rang them again, and they mentioned that there were some issues with the housing estate and they had to do some cabling work so it may take upto 6 months before I had a connection. This is in Dublin, so you can imagine the state of the people in rural areas.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

I have had an eircom man call to my house 4 times offering me the exact same deal, if I havent joined the first time why would I any of the other 3 times, so my first bit of advise is to not repeat your offers

Secondaly, I asked a question about connecting the PS3 up to eircom to see if it was possible, as my current provider has the ports blocked on my router, which I had to unlock and was a bit of hassle. His response was "I think so". After that he had lost the sale. So secondly eircom must know the ins and outs of each product they are selling.

Also he was trying to sell me some device which you connect up to the computer for cheaper international calls, I wanted to know more about the device but there was no information, no easy to read leaflets of how it works. So that didnt really appeal to me.

cheers, hope this advise helps, its not a rant just advise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭paddins

Advice is to be more flexible with technical call outs - ie include evenings and weekends. I unfortunately left Eircom as I could not leave work for a technician to call as the call out times were unsuitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

My 2 cents:

1. If you are here to help, be here to help. Ensure that someone visits the forums at least once a day. Nothing more infuriating than waiting days for a response. :mad:

2. Attempt to answer ever question that ye are asked. No matter how many times ye are asked the same question make sure every poster gets some sort of response.

And obviously:

3. Be honest. Give the best answer you can even if the answer is that you don't know.

If ye can keep up 1 and 2 ye have the Vodafone support beat anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Two things:

1. Allow your technicians to carry Modems in their vans. I had a technician out in my house last wednesday morning, he recognised the problem immediately - my modem was faulty. I then had to ring up the help line to order a new one, which took 6 days to deliver. Thats frankly ridiculous.

2. Lower your prices. They are way too high and we all have to cut back. You WILL lose customers unless you give a 'broadband only' option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

A lot has already been said. My advice would be not to use the forum here to promote your packages, just use it to answer questions and provide support. You could however offer to respond privately to people who would like some advice on your packages versus what they are currently on via the "pm" function.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Advice to ye:

Keep it simple. Give the facts. Care for the customer

Customers don't like anything complicated.. They don't like change either.. But a little change with big positive results is something we can all enjoy..

Your customers want to know what's going on.. Even if you think it may not be necessary, transparency and the capability for your customer to understand are what makes a company stand out positively against all others !

Let your customers know you care.. They're not all tech heads and can't all be brilliant. Let them know you're there for them, in all areas that you have to do with. A little help goes a long way..

You guys don't do a bad job at all.. But it's all about good communication.. and it's a little ironic, but it seems to be where you fall down.. Look after the customers and they'll look after you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Being on boards for about six years now I hope the advice I can offer will help you on coming on boards
    • Try to be as prompt as possible when responding to people
    • Vague answers are infuriating, consumers are used to them from dealing with people on the phone etc
    • Be down to earth with people, we're just like you and boards.ie is a "discussion forum" so discuss and work out issues with people instead of giving blanket statments
    • Something that really irritates me is when I recieve 'standard replies', I'm talking about copy and pasted responses
    • Building on my previous point, you are going to encounter alot of the same question, I suggest starting a FAQ thread now and updating it regurarly
    • Boards has a massive audience, use it to alert users if/when there are outages etc
    • Any feedback is good feedback, although you will probably be getting mostly negative feedback (people don't tell to ring you to tell you how happy they are) don't feel disheartened as many people will be happy with the service/care they are recieving
    • Always respond to a topic, even if you need to say "I will get back to you ASAP about that" and when you say you are going to do something, please do it
    • Try to build a rapport with people, it will greatly help you when you're having issues (fustrated customers)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Welcome to boards.ie :D

Only advice to dealing with users would be to try and ignore all confrontations with ThePirateBay.org and regular pirates of course! :pac:

Aside from that just be honest with customers and blunt with people complaining :p

Never take any insults to heart and troll all the UPC, imagine, vodafone BB etc.. threads :pac:

It's great to see eircom making this kind of approach with customers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Whew! Like my timing? Got it in while it was still the 8th at least :)

Anyway, I just wanted to elaborate a little more on my last point; Blacknight hosting who also has a forum here provides absolutely excellent customer service both through traditional methods and boards.ie -it would be worth checking out their forum.

The massive advantage for eircom here is that you will gain a massive positive marketing boost. I'll use Blacknight as the example again; because of their aforementioned excellent service alot of people recommend them on boards (including myself) so it would be a good PR boost for eircom

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Get rid of that twat Jim from your ads, get some sexy swimwear models to whip each other with fibre optic cables or something

/Boards wise, allow for complete transparancy and keep one rep to a problem etc to avoid going round in circles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

phasers wrote: »
    Get rid of that twat Jim from your ads, get some sexy swimwear models to whip each other with fibre optic cables or something

Eircom deal in copper :).

Welcome to boards Gents. Glad to see you FINALLY made it. Be prepared for lots of hard questions and lots what if's. I am on the other side now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Welcome to boards :)

When you're calling at people's homes that have left Eircom give them the option not to be bothered again that year (or ever)!!

Had two salesman come to my door in the space of 2 months, this gets very annoying. Airtricity are the worse culprits.

Anyway the best of luck

Free market research is a powerful force. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Ha ....Thanks thelastangryman
    yes made it to boards.
    Looking forward to your if's and questions..am expecting to learn a lot.

Ha ....Thanks thelastangryman
    yes made it to boards.
    Looking forward to your if's and questions..am expecting to learn a lot.

Ah sure, we are all pretty friendly around here just glad it happened at last. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭eircom: Eleanor

LouiseMcNa wrote: »
    I had a landline, broadband and the same in my office. I left out of sheer frustration. The intial problem was in my office I just had the landline divert to my mobile. I never looked at any bills as I never used the land line. Well I missed a payment - then months later I got cut off. Fine that was all my fault. I do think as a phone provider it would not kill you to make one call saying you have 48 hrs, or a week whatever to pay your bill or you will be cut off. In these tough times people pay the ones who scream the loudest. It took a few days to realise my phone was not ringing that it was disconnected, I had a call a week previously from Eircom some guy telling me he was my account manager, but never mentioned I was due to be cut off. When I realised I was cut off it took over a week to reconnect me.
    What drove me nuts was 1. having to hear a voice activated service 2. Not been able to be heard by the relevant person. 3. Not getting treated like you should. I pointed out I needed my phone for business and everyday I was disconnect I was losing business. I reckoned it cost me well over 2k in Business, and the billwas only a few hundred which I paid - as it was a company I did not have a credit card so I had to go down and do a transfer from my business to personnal and then use a laser. As I said it was a week I was without a phone.
    The same thing happened in a Pharmacy I worked in, their accountant died, a few bills got left to the side and without much warning eircom disconnected them..
    As I said to Eircom then if they did not reconnect me within 24 hours I would swear to never use them again, it took two days to just reply to the email.
    So rant over, suggestions!
    1 Pay to have staff operating the lines, your not saving money having a voice activated call service over staff because many people won't deal with a voice activated service. Give this Country some work and employ a few more people to man the phones.
    2. If someones bill is in trouble, don't just send a letter, phone them - your have phones - give them a warning, put them on incoming calls only for 48 hours before you cut them off so they know what is coming.
    3. Have an easy way of emailing a complaint or problem, with a promise it will be dealt with asap. It took hours trying to work through all your sites to just email in complaint to a person.
    Try some of these and you might become more human to deal with. 3 Ireland are a joke they are not Irish, all lines are to Asia, accounts are UK. Vodfone (who I now use) are just OK, a bit better than Eircom and 3 but are not Irish either.
    Louise

Louise

Hello, thank you for your post,I understand your frustration.In response to your post,I can advise you that if a customer needs to contact our Customer Care team, you can do us via our forum on eircom.net,our webiste,eircom.ie, our Twitter account, @eircom and here on Boards aswell

I take on board what your saying about the Integrated Voice Recording System, I appreciate your view on it,its there to make it easier to find the right department when a customer phones in to us. You may not have the time to ring us, so we've addressed the needs of our customers and so we're here on Boards, Twitter, the eircom connect forum to assist our many customers.

In relation to the connection query you raised, we endeavour to phone customers to advise them of imment disconnections.

We send out letters to our customers when they have an account that is over due

We offer our customers the ability to take a payment plan if they need help in making their monthly or bi-monthly payments

You did not have an experience that you would like to remember, with this medium I hope that you feel that you can talk to us as you have done, we'll do what we can to help you with any queries or concerns relating to our services, representatives and products. I hope that in time the experience you had can be replaced with many positive experiences with us here on Boards.

• Advertisement

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Welcome on board.

Advice: I left my last supplier early (see separate very angry thread) and partly the reason was poor communication and dishonesty. When I rang them with any of the several problems I encountered they lied about remedies and callbacks. I returned to Eircom because of their good customer service so:

1. maintain the good customer service
    2. be honest with the customer
    3. provide the service we are paying for

As long as the price is right you'll keep me and many like me

ooh and yeah freebies help;)

Thank You for your post, its very welcoming, delighted you're happy with the service you are receiving from eircom.

We're here to help, so anything you'd like to know, drop us a line

Eleanor

Drumpot wrote: »
    Welcome to Boards.ie .

You should always try to reply to people whether or not you have an answer. I dont mean tell them BS, I mean let them know regularly how your query is going and if there are any anticipated delays. If you are not sure it will be 2 weeks, say that you are not sure (not that it will be done in two weeks!).

I was messed about with a certain mobile operator when I phoned up with a problem. It went on for 4 weeks (constant phoning and getting messed about).

I ventured onto a web forum not too differant from Boards and complained about my treatment. I got a much better service and satisfactory outcome from this medium.

My advice is to use this medium as frequent and efficiently as possible. Its more personal and allows a large company like Eircom to interact with people who really do care about customer service!

Thanks for your post, its definetly the way we hope to proceed here on Boards. Its the way we engage with our customers on our forum at eircom.net and also on twitter, @eircom

If you want to discuss anything or feel we can help, drop us a line here on boards, a tweet @eircom or visit our forum at http://eircomconnect.eircom.net/forum

Thanks

Eleanor

My advice is to be open to the customers, even if sometimes they get a little annoying just put your self in there position for a second and think about a good positive word of advice you can give them. Always be honest with your customer and dont transfer them to someone else constantly if you dont have an answer to a question or problem. Customers should always be first. I know sometimes it can be hard to consider that. But remember we wouldnt call if there was no reason. So there is always a reason.
    Be respectful and that will get you far:D I think if you done that Eircom would get a 5 star rating.

Good advice,thank you

I will pass that information on to my colleagues who look after our customers on the phone

Hope we can be of help to you here on boards anytime you need us

Thank You

Eleanor

Dardania wrote: »
    Welcome to boards.ie - you've made a brave step, as some of your most vocal critics lurk here, but it's good that you're stepping up to the mark to engage with customers in such an open way - it will go down well!

On boards, my advice would be to be open on everything, offer plenty of information on your products/services/availability etc....there's the sticky function for resource type threads - give information that users, and helpers to other users will find a valuable resource.

In terms of advice to eircom in the wider business sense: you're getting hammered by alternatives be it FWA & mobiles for voice & internet separately, or dare I say UPC for triple play. You need to compete, as your market share is diminishing as people wake up that arguably better, cheaper alternatives exist, that don't have as many barriers that availing of your services incur such as minimum contracts etc.
    A great way to capture people would be to offer triple or quadruple play - similar to BT in Britain with their digital terrestrial PVR, with internet delivered VOD...from a good source. On the consumer side, young people are your future - they want cost effectiveness & functionality - not being able to access Playstation network through the netopia routers is a killer!

Thank you for your advice, we hope we can help people of all ages

You can access playstation through the Netopia router, the information on how to do this is on our webiste
    http://eircom.net/tutorials, you are looking for a video called Console Gaming Set Up

Hope this helps

Eleanor

My advice is do not ignore users who take the time to post in here. Let us know if you're all off on the holidays or if management wants to kill the boards.ie activity for an extended period. The guys on RicherSounds and Komplett do it and we're grateful for it.

So keep service simple and make it as frequent as you can - everybody knows (or should know) this probably isn't a replacement for other more widely used support channels but we don't want to waste time typing when we could be talking to a real Joe or the call queue music :p

Thank You for your post

Good Advice

We will always let you know that we're looking into something for you

We will always advise if we have to go off line and when we will be coming back

Thank You

Eleanor

thegift06 wrote: »
    I have had an eircom man call to my house 4 times offering me the exact same deal, if I havent joined the first time why would I any of the other 3 times, so my first bit of advise is to not repeat your offers

Secondaly, I asked a question about connecting the PS3 up to eircom to see if it was possible, as my current provider has the ports blocked on my router, which I had to unlock and was a bit of hassle. His response was "I think so". After that he had lost the sale. So secondly eircom must know the ins and outs of each product they are selling.

Also he was trying to sell me some device which you connect up to the computer for cheaper international calls, I wanted to know more about the device but there was no information, no easy to read leaflets of how it works. So that didnt really appeal to me.

cheers, hope this advise helps, its not a rant just advise

Thank You for your post

You can connect your PS3 to eircom ,we have a tutorial about this on our webiste eircom.net/tutorials

If you private message me your details, I'll look on the system to see when the representative was out with you and what product he was referring to

Thanks

Eleanor

Batesy wrote: »
    Hi, Welcome to boards Eircom.

I was an Eircom broadband and phone customer up until recently when I could no longer afford to pay almost €60 per month for the service. We never really used the phone as we both have mobiles so it was mainly the broadband I was interested in. €60 per month for broadband is crazy so I switched to o2 midband in the summer. I'm paying €16.99 per month as I'm an o2 billpay customer.

Now, o2 is ok but I always found eircom to be far better and never had an issue with the service.

My question is: Is it not possible for eircom to abolish the line rental fee to its customers? (not temporary, for good)

I would run back to eircom if this happened and I would guess that 99% of the customers that left eircom would also go back if the prices were more competitive.
    I'd say almost every person in the country now use mobile phones for the majority of their phone calls.

We are looking at all avenues when it comes to offering competitive prices to our customers. We are constantly seeking customer insights and we will definitely feed your comments back into the business. We did have a promotion a while back offering free line rental for a year and are absolutely looking again as I've said at our propositions to address customer needs and respond to your feedback.
    Thanks for your feedback,we will take your comments on board

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The guy in the "freezing girlfriend" ad needs a serious wardrobe makeover.

Also, whenever the landline voicemails rings to let you know there's messages the message should be shorter or better still, it should have caller ID so that you don't even need to answer the call to know there's voicemail there. It's really annoyin when you answer and it's all
    "This is a message..blah blah.."
    *hang up*
    *wait 5 seconds*
    *dial voicemail*
    ..."blah blah blah...please check your mailbox"

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Tarquin1970

I would advise you to close the competition and announce the winner. Or in the event that a winner has been chosen and contacted, maybe you could rename the thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

We are looking at all avenues when it comes to offering competitive prices to our customers. We are constantly seeking customer insights and we will definitely feed your comments back into the business. We did have a promotion a while back offering free line rental for a year and are absolutely looking again as I've said at our propositions to address customer needs and respond to your feedback.
    Thanks for your feedback,we will take your comments on board

Thanks for the reply Eleanor. I'll keep an eye on the offers over the coming months. Even a 'no line rental fee for broadband only customers' type deal would see huge interest I reckon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement