Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic TG4/TV3 Sound?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

If you switch to TV3 first which options do you get for "Preferred Multi Audio" in the audio menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

I don't have a preferred multi-audio option.
    I have a Multi-Audio option which shows the 2 channels nar and eng, but for some reason it defaults to nar on TV3 and 3e, but defaults to eng on most of the other channels .
    Just noticed that TG4 now only has one channel "iri", Previously this had 2 channels "iri" and "nar" and it used to default to "nar".

Unfortunately each time you change channel, it doesn't remember the previous preferred option ..

Setup -> Audio menu.
    There should be Preferred Multi Audio. Maybe you have to page down to the second page at a V10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I would have thought that the default option (language or narr) would have applied to all channels, too. bob11's experience is that it's working ok for RTE 1 and 2 but not for TV3 or 3E.
    I don't have that TV model, so I cannot confirm, but it does seem strange. The TG4 channel is now working apparently because the TV has only one audio stream to choose from!
    I published the audio PIDs earlier in the thread and TV3 / E3 follow the same pattern as RTE 1 and 2 with the "eng" stream first, followed by the "nar" stream (which is silent in both cases). The "nar" stream would be used for Audio Description or alternate language presentation if available on the programme. The BBC do a lot of audio description and ITV less so. RTE, so far, have just played around with carrying alternate radio streams alongside the HD loop when it was being broadcast on the RTENL channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

John1000 wrote: »
    I got the channels back on a G15B LCD. The channels are a bit slower to change now but at least they work. Thanks maxg for that hack.

For others it would be useful to know whether you inputted 0F (zeroF) instead of 20 ?
    maxg wrote: »
    Setup -> Audio menu.
    There should be Preferred Multi Audio. Maybe you have to page down to the second page at a V10.

Is this on a G10 maxg ? This problem also exists on the LZD81/Pz81 range whereby narrative is the default and there does not seem to be a set default option. And you cant edit the APID.

• Advertisement

I eventually found the preferred multi-audio menu .. I decided to RTFM :-)
    It was on the Menu button rather than the Option one ..
    Anyway is was set to English. The 3 options available were Welsh, English and Gaelic ... It doesn't make any difference which of these 3 that I selected.
    On TV3 and 3E, it still selects the "nar" audio channel .. It's a very strange fault ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

John1000 wrote: »
    I got the channels back on a G15B LCD. The channels are a bit slower to change now but at least they work. Thanks maxg for that hack.

Right 2 problems with your post John:

"The channels are a bit slower to change now but at least they work"
    - Right you went from having no dt channels - zero dt channels -
    to receiving all of them and now they are slightly slower to change.
    Never happy are you John?

"Thanks maxg"
    - I had seen this hack on avfurums way before maxg mentioned it! I asked him if he tried it but didn't get a response - so I did it myself - took the risk of bricking my €1200 TV. Bit like thanking Bertie for the celtic tiger.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Digital vs Analogue I think, not Digital vs none.

Digital channel changing is WAY slower than analogue as you have to fill the buffer and get key frame to even begin to decode. If the signal quality is poor it may take longer.

It's a myth that Digital is either there or gone. It's just a smaller range of signal between "perfect" and "nothing".

FM vs AM is a little similar. AM you hear gradual increase in noise.
    FM has two points as signal quality is poorer.
    Sounds OK, then suddenly quite noisy, then there is a sudden point where it's highly distorted and unintelligible.

With a very good quality signal, digital can change channel a bit faster than with a marginal quality signal. Channel change is always a good lot slower than Analogue. Especially when you change multiplex!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Just sorted out my G10B :D - Thanks guys. I seem to have an EPG too... It stated in the docs provided by Maxg "Saorview Radio Channels, Freesat Channels and Analogue all on the same integrated set". This doesn't seem to be the case, freesat in on freesat and saorview in on DVB. Has anyone got the integarted set-up as a result og this procedure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John1000

STB wrote: »
    For others it would be useful to know whether you inputted 0F (zeroF) instead of 20 ?
    I changed the value from 02 to 0F
    damienirel wrote: »
    Right 2 problems with your post John:

"The channels are a bit slower to change now but at least they work"
    - Right you went from having no dt channels - zero dt channels -
    to receiving all of them and now they are slightly slower to change.
    Never happy are you John?

I went from having the channels to not having the channel and back to
    having the channels again. Now that they a back they are changing slower.
    What's you problem with that?

"Thanks maxg"
    - I had seen this hack on avfurums way before maxg mentioned it! I asked him if he tried it but didn't get a response - so I did it myself - took the risk of bricking my €1200 TV. Bit like thanking Bertie for the celtic tiger.:p

Maxg was was the guy who came up with the idea to get the channels back. Don't you think he deserves a little credit? It seems to me that you got the hump because he didn't respond to your post.

• Advertisement

cillo2000 wrote: »
    Just sorted out my G10B :D - Thanks guys. I seem to have an EPG too... It stated in the docs provided by Maxg "Saorview Radio Channels, Freesat Channels and Analogue all on the same integrated set". This doesn't seem to be the case, freesat in on freesat and saorview in on DVB. Has anyone got the integarted set-up as a result og this procedure?

Look I posted the link to the file that was uploaded on a hackaday. It was discovered and written by Mark Hodgkinson on Avforums in the UK back at the start of the year. They are calibration nuts who were using the hack to get into gamma settings available on the european models. Nobody has used this for the "Irish problem" ie UK Dbook settings in DVB-T tuner not seeing hardware capability ie MPEG4 processor. I dont know what all the sniping is about. Nobody put 2 and 2 together as it being a possible solution to the tuning issue until it was discussed in this thread 2 pages in between myself and maxg as a possible workaround.

Integrated ? If you leave the TV in European mode you lose the epg so you have to revert to Freesat (ie B) mode in order to have same.

But it does work so everyone should be happy!

There is no hack possible for earlier models because there was no corresponding range for central europe on the market in 2008.
    The hack for the G10B plasma simply change the product-id (hardwareID). The numbers 03 mean G10B and 20 mean GW10 plasma. The TV software check that ID and start than the software part which is defined for that model group.

The LXD81 range (with dvb- mpeg4) was released at the same time as the LZD81 Freesat Combo range.

Also there was a PZ81E released at the same time as the PZ81B.

I am of the opinion that Panasonic were lazy and its a similar software change in the Unit that separates country release.

If you can get your hands on the system information data of a LXD81FV and a PZ81E we could analyse the data.
    Menu button -> Setup -> System Menu -> System information.

If you can get your hands on the system information data of a LXD81FV and a PZ81E we could analyse the data.
    Menu button -> Setup -> System Menu -> System information.

I have a 37LZD81 freesat tele...

My system Info is:

SW Version 2601 -10100
    Status 1 0031-0003-1000-0000
    Status 2 0000-0002-0000-0000
    HDAVI 3

Could working. Converting to a LZD81F and back to a LZD81B should be possible. The product-id's are different compared to the other panas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

That fixed the problem for me. The issue is due to some channels broadcasting an empty audio description stream. If you've set Audio Description to Auto (or On) it defaults to that (empty) stream. Or so it would seem.

extopia wrote: »
    That fixed the problem for me. The issue is due to some channels broadcasting an empty audio description stream. If you've set Audio Description to Auto (or On) it defaults to that (empty) stream. Or so it would seem.

Fixed On ALL channels ? G10 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Yes, audio is good on all channels. V20B.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It makes no difference on my G10B, TV3 and 3e still mute on default.

That is because their should not be any problems with a V20B because it has a dvb-t2 or Freeview HD tuner. Nowhere for Panasonic to hide there! If they couldnt get basics right on that they would have a 66 million population to deal with!

The G10B has a dvb-t tuner with the same crippling of firmware to ensure only decoding of MPEG2 services despite the onboard MPEG4 H264 L4 processor!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The worst thing about Panasonic is not their crippling of their firmware but their utter unwillingness to sort their own mess out with new firmware. The basically never release any :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Could someone whos done the hack on a PxxgG10B post their sd card file for three rock ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

Look I posted the link to the file that was uploaded on a hackaday. It was discovered and written by Mark Hodgkinson on Avforums in the UK back at the start of the year. They are calibration nuts who were using the hack to get into gamma settings available on the european models. Nobody has used this for the "Irish problem" ie UK Dbook settings in DVB-T tuner not seeing hardware capability ie MPEG4 processor. I dont know what all the sniping is about. Nobody put 2 and 2 together as it being a possible solution to the tuning issue until it was discussed in this thread 2 pages in between myself and maxg as a possible workaround.

Integrated ? If you leave the TV in European mode you lose the epg so you have to revert to Freesat (ie B) mode in order to have same.

But it does work so everyone should be happy!

Sorry STB but this was all on AVFORUMS not just for the gamma thing but also for people who bought a set in the UK and were using it in mainland europe and wanted the uk freesat as well as the local digital. - you and maxg are by no means unique in coming up with a fix
    and lets not forget that neither of ye even tried the fix that ye discussed so much.
    Credit where credit is due - avforums people are the people to thank!

Sorry STB but this was all on AVFORUMS not just for the gamma thing but also for people who bought a set in the UK and were using it in mainland europe and wanted the uk freesat as well as the local digital. - you and maxg are by no means unique in coming up with a fix
    and lets not forget that neither of ye even tried the fix that ye discussed so much.

Well why didnt you try it prior to this ?

I didnt try it because I own neither of the model ranges. Me ? I am trying to help fix other peoples problems. The hack I read I picked up initially on hackaday, not avforums. I posted the link to that discussion. It was about UK use of the European model for Gamma settings.

I have only now seen the discussions on hifi germany.

I have recently posted on avforums asking about similar backdoor routes but to no avail. As i understand from Ian over there, its not a discussion that people want to have.

And you, what are you bringing to the party ? Have you something to contribute ? Enough.

You missed the point. The whole hack wasn't developed in the UK. The Uk tutorial is more or less only a copy in english. The idea to use the hack for the irish problem was mentioned the first time in this thread and not in the UK or Germany.
    Beside that is not so much a risk to follow a cooking recipe to the letter. It was 100 times confirmed that 20 is working for a G10B plasma.

bob11 wrote: »
    I don't have a preferred multi-audio option.
    I have a Multi-Audio option which shows the 2 channels nar and eng, but for some reason it defaults to nar on TV3 and 3e, but defaults to eng on most of the other channels .
    Just noticed that TG4 now only has one channel "iri", Previously this had 2 channels "iri" and "nar" and it used to default to "nar".

Unfortunately each time you change channel, it doesn't remember the previous preferred option ..
    Is your problem on TG4 back again? I just noticed that TG4 has two audio streams again "iri" (audio PID 1204) and "nar" (PID 1214).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

fat-tony wrote: »
    Is your problem on TG4 back again? I just noticed that TG4 has two audio streams again "iri" (audio PID 1204) and "nar" (PID 1214).

Yes TG4 is now mute on default and I have to change it from "nar" to "iri" to get sound! :mad:

Normally a receiver take the first audio stream if the audio default setting doesn't match a stream.

Yes I have posted that same view several times. Any normal set would take the first stream if it couldn't find a match. I can't fathom why these Panasonics are working ok for RTE One but not for TV3 / TG4 which have similar audio setups - "eng" first stream and "narr" second stream.

• Advertisement

Did you check in which sequence the audio channels are definded in the SDT.

Advertisement