Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Of Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Gunnerkid wrote: »
    what was his family name Im pretty interested in this topic

I'll pm some references to you, the islands (clare, tory, aran...) have been written about a bit on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 paddyinrome

It could boost tourism and we need as much money as possible at the moment especially with the current economic crisis.

The British royal family has been very clever and has become a huge tourist attraction for the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Gunnerkid

efla wrote: »
    I'll pm some references to you, the islands (clare, tory, aran...) have been written about a bit on this

cheers :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Kimg Limerick drove the brits out of this country in 1916, his family are rightful heirs to the throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Sheamus is KING

He's a role model for the nonpigmented.

• Advertisement

Kimg Limerick drove the brits out of this country in 1916, his family are rightful heirs to the throne.

thats limerick citaay!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I always thought Mike65 was the king here. Honestly over 60000 posts.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

All right where to begin!

1. Ireland had High Kings after Brian Boru. Lots of them in fact.

2. Dynastic succession by males sons was not de facto in this time. Sometimes it went to other family members or changed hands through force of arms. It would be rxtremely unlikely for any of Brian Boru's direct heirs to have held a stranglehold on the High Kingship.

3. Who are the 'British'? No such people existed in this era. In fact go to Scotland or Wales in the present day and ask the people there if they are British. You may be surprised by their answer.

4. Well even if we did maintain a form of monarchy for some time, I can't see it being particularly stable, so either we would constantly be at civil war or more likely invaded in a form similar to how it occurred originally.

So to sum up, sorry but I can't see your Irish royal family idea working!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I always thought Mike65 was the king here. Honestly over 60000 posts.:)

To be King he would have to be Human.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

no no no it's King of Queens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

I think I would, but they'd have to be the descendants of Edubard a Briuis, coz he was the last high king or Ireland, not Brian Boru
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_High_Kings_of_Ireland

Although Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair was the last unopposed high king and he was after Boru too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Edward the Bruce wasn't the High King, he failed in his bid to claim thr throne, he was more of a self-proclaimed King, the 3 families probably with the biggest claim to it would be
    The O'Briens
    The O'Neills
    The O'Connors

I think I would, but they'd have to be the descendants of Edubard a Briuis, coz he was the last high king or Ireland, not Brian Boru
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_High_Kings_of_Ireland

Although Ruaidrí Ua Conchobair was the last unopposed high king and he was after Boru too

lol my family comes up aswell but not shure if they were overtrown or anything like that McMahon family of Thomond:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McMahon

McMahon family arising from the Grandson of Brian Boru

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sheamus is KING

Wan*er ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

lcrcboy wrote: »
    If Brian Boru had not been killed and left king of Ireland without later interference from the British and other Irish kings do you think his family would still be in power in Ireland would we have a monarchy state or would they be like the British royal family and just a symbol of the sate.
    Would you support having a Irish royal family or be against it??

Ill put in a poll aswell for the hell of it :D

Jez, you have absolutely no idea of Irish history do you.

Brian Boru died in 1014 after leading an army made of of Gaels, Britons and Vikings who had gone native, against the mainstream Vikings who dominated much of the Irish east cost.

The Normans (not the British) came to Ireland in 1169, but very little changed in the governance of the island (outside the pale). Irish High Kings were extant until the mid 14th Century, with the last being Edward the Bruce (of Braveheart fame). There was no so-called British influence in Ireland until mid 16th century onwards with the plantation of Anglican and Dissenters.

Anyway, if an Irish Royal Family line had continued they would have more than likely intermarried with only European Royal Families and would without doubt be related (or even the same family) as the Queen.

Also, bear in mind that the Queen Mother was a blood descendant of Brian Boru, so if there was to be a rightful Irish monarch, it would be the current Queen of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Lauder wrote: »
    Jez, you have absolutely no idea of Irish history do you.

Brian Boru died in 1014 after leading an army made of of Gaels, Britons and Vikings who had gone native, against the mainstream Vikings who dominated much of the Irish east cost.

The Normans (not the British) came to Ireland in 1169, but very little changed in the governance of the island (outside the pale). Irish High Kings were extant until the mid 14th Century, with the last being Edward the Bruce (of Braveheart fame). There was no so-called British influence in Ireland until mid 16th century onwards with the plantation of Anglican and Dissenters.

Anyway, if an Irish Royal Family line had continued they would have more than likely intermarried with only European Royal Families and would without doubt be related (or even the same family) as the Queen.

Also, bear in mind that the Queen Mother was a blood descendant of Brian Boru, so if there was to be a rightful Irish monarch, it would be the current Queen of England.

wow arent you getting bad, sorry Im not a history buff like yourself. You do realise I never claimed to know it all about Irish history and was just wondering what peoples view were of a Irish royal family. Do you fell big putting me in my place about Irish history..... I actually dont really care if you know more about it than me haha

Edward wasn't in Braveheart, BOOM!!

oh and lauder if you knew irish hitsory you would know that Irish royalty was not always handed down to the son it would more than often be passed on to who is more suitable for the position, and just beacuse the queens mother may be related to Brian Boru (would love to know where you got those facts) dosent make her next in line to brian boru's thrown it depends on what line of the family the crown would have been passed down along if we are talking a family monarchy based on the eldest son being the heir

Crosáidí wrote: »

haha lauder is coming out to look like a bit of a muppet

Incorrect, Edward the Bruce was portrayed in Braveheart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n0Q8THJE60

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

We have enough useless over paid positions already, we need less not more, so no I don't support the idea.

haha lauder is coming out to look like a bit of a muppet

Au contraire, I have been correct and accurate in my statements. Unlike you opening post, and stated question.

If you post a question here expect it to be answered accurately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ye should head over to Lisbon and bring Hugo O Neill back and plant him on the throne at Tara....

Au contraire, I have been correct and accurate in my statements. Unlike you opening post, and stated question.

If you post a question here expect it to be answered accurately.

I dont mind been given accurate infromation as a response but to go oh you dont know anything about Irish history was a sly knock, but besides that I would love to know how the Queens mother is connected to Brian Boru

I dont mind been given accurate infromation as a response but to go oh you dont know anything about Irish history was a sly knock, but besides that I would love to know how the Queens mother is connected to Brian Boru

FYI: The late Queen Mother (Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) is a direct descendant of Sir John Lyon (late 14th Century), Lord of Glamis (in Scotland). Sir John married Edward the Bruce's niece. Edward the Bruce was a maternal descendant of Brian Boru. Ipso facto the Queen Mum is related to Brian Boru. (as are probably half of the noble families of these islands.)

Burke's Peerage Article of Scottish noble lineage http://www.burkespeerage.com/store/scotland-Prelims.pdf

Incorrect, Edward the Bruce was portrayed in Braveheart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n0Q8THJE60

I'll think you'll find that was Robert the Bruce, Eddie was his younger brother

FYI: The late Queen Mother (Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon) is a direct descendant of Sir John Lyon (late 14th Century), Lord of Glamis (in Scotland). Sir John married Edward the Bruce's niece. Edward the Bruce was a maternal descendant of Brian Boru. Ipso facto the Queen Mum is related to Brian Boru. (as are probably half of the noble families of these islands.)

Burke's Peerage Article of Scottish noble lineage http://www.burkespeerage.com/store/scotland-Prelims.pdf

wow haha thats not some thing you here about that often when people talk about Brian Boru Id say that will piss alot of republicans off lol

I'll think you'll find that was Robert the Bruce, Eddie was his younger brother

Fair enough, doesn't change the argument though - just the movie!

Note that Sir John Lyon married Edward the Bruce's niece, who was Robert's daughter.

Fair enough, doesn't change the argument though - just the movie!

Note that Sir John Lyon married Edward the Bruce's niece, who was Robert's daughter.

not really, 'cause Edward Bruce wasn't the last king of Ireland sure he didn't even have any land in Ireland as far as i know, he went on a campaign with his brother the King of Scotland's support and Brian Ó Néill King of Tír Eoghain (the last elected high king) to claim Ireland for himself and failed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

haha not for some one who is studying business this is just random taught when I should be studying for exams :D
    clearly not studying english anyway

Advertisement