Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Panasonic TG4/TV3 Sound?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Well Panasonic are the most NON compliant major manufacturer. What about a "Don't Buy a Panasonic In 2011 To Give Them Time To Fix Their Own Mess" campaign. In fairness I would tip off the retailers first .

Why not have that line added to the sticky on "TVs working with Saorview"? If nothing else, it would be an interesting experiment in seeing if 'people power' holds any sway with the useless wasters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Apogee wrote: »
    Why not have that line added to the sticky on "TVs working with Saorview"? If nothing else, it would be an interesting experiment in seeing if 'people power' holds any sway with the useless wasters.

Must report this post and mine to see what the mods think.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I'm very tempted to add it to saortv.info and techtir

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Must report this post and mine to see what the mods think.

Don't see any rules broken.

It was about an insertion of a Panasonic warning into the Mpeg4 telly sticky, only a mod can edit that first post now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

STB wrote: »
    ETSI standards are clear on the flag usage of 0x01 which is reserved for MPEG2 only. It is clear that it is needed given the amount of legacy gear whilst never used in this country still exists from our nearest neighbours chain stores.

There is only a should in the foot note for service type 0x01 regarding mpeg2.
    Btw the service type is only used for scanning and installing a channel in a channel list.
    The data streams got their own flags which specify what is inside a stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69245473#post69245473

for anyone who got theirs from Richer Sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I would also like for one of the Mods to change the "TV's working with Saorview - The List" thread title to something like...

"List of TVs working with Saorview (No Panasonic PZ81s)" or "List of TVs working with Saorview (Warning: many panasonics may not work)" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭championc

The idea of the thread is for ALL sets which are confirmed as working by other boardies. If it ain't there, it doesn't work - simple. Otherwise, the list would be monsterous which would be crazy.

So the thread is for exactly what it says on the tin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Has anyone the Hotel file for Panny L32G10B for 3 Rock?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

maxg wrote: »
    No, you don't need the dvb-s2 tuner for the channel scan. Without a factory reset you get only dvb-t and analogue in GW10 mode but you need only dvb-t for the saorview scan. The idea is to get the dvb-t channel list in GW10 mode and convert back to a G10B without resetting anything.

Did you do this? Does it work?

Just did it and it worked - great job!
    BTW it's a Panny TX-P50G10B

For all the lazy B@$tards I will post the hotel file for the Cairn Hill Area if you guys want it.:D

Back up your current tuning to an SD card just incase.

To do this:

1. Format an SD card on a PC.

Insert SD card into PC. Right-click on SD card in MyComputer, then select FORMAT and press OK.

2. Set up hotel.pwd file on SD card.

Open MyComputer and double click on SD card (Removeable Disk). Go to Tools, Folder Options and select the VIEW tab. Then unclick the "Hide extensions for known file types" option and apply the change. Right click and select New and Text Document to create an empty text file. Name it "hotel.pwd" ( Note that there is no .txt file extension added because of option selected above). Remove SD card.

3. Copy all channels from TV1 to SD card.

Turn on TV. Insert SD card. The process starts automatically. Enter the code 4850 when requested. The copy is made to the SD card. Remove the SD card.

4. Copy channels from SD card to TV2.

Turn on TV. Insert SD card. The process starts automatically. Enter the code 4851 when requested. The copy is made to the TV.
    Turn off the TV and then turn it on again. The channels are copied! There's no EPG info for the TV channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxg
    No, you don't need the dvb-s2 tuner for the channel scan. Without a factory reset you get only dvb-t and analogue in GW10 mode but you need only dvb-t for the saorview scan. The idea is to get the dvb-t channel list in GW10 mode and convert back to a G10B without resetting anything.

damienirel wrote: »
    Just did it and it worked - great job!
    BTW it's a Panny TX-P50G10B

For all the lazy B@$tards I will post the hotel file for the Cairn Hill Area if you guys want it.:D

Can you post the steps you followed for this damienirel for those of us that don't live in the Cairn Hill area?

Follow the previous posts(i.e. join the dots - if you can't then this is not for you) not gonna advise anybody to do this as you could brick ur TV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

cillo2000 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maxg

Can you post the steps you followed for this damienirel for those of us that don't live in the Cairn Hill area?

Following on from a very informative PM from damien (Thanks btw! :)) I took the plunge and did this to my TV and it works perfectly!! And I have got the 7 Saorview channels back, my Freesat is as normal and despite RTENL broadcasting that flag I am now able to tune in any future channels they may launch.

It is a tedious operation and not for the technically illiterate but if you follow the Hex edit instructions and the steps in my guide then you will be able to get the channels back. The same problem still exists with the Sound Audio option on TV3, 3e & TG4 and pressing "I" will still not give you the information banner except on RTE News Now, EPG Data is there just no programme info, but this problem was there before RTE ever changed the broadcast flag and when the TV was in GW10 mode all EPG info was lost.

Do this at your own risk and I nor boards.ie accept no responsibility for bricked TV sets or voided TV warranties.

Print out the instructions and read them before doing it to make sure you know what you're doing. This workaround only works for Panasonic G10B models (screen size is irrelevant) and will not work with any other models that I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Stinicker, This is the hack I posted earlier in this thread. So fair whack for trying it (and damien - no guts no glory!)! Glad it works. Your second pdf is helpful and lays it out step by step. It just goes to show that the full service flags are defined in the TVs but turned off for UK in the software settings !

Now that you know that this works, what about the audio problems. Can you pull up detailed info on the audio PIDs being displayed by default on the problem channel? Four digit number labelled APID.

I wonder as an aside if anyone who has an earlier combo (LZD81 or PZ81) can even pull up the menu (ONLY GOING AS FAR AS STEP 2 then exiting) in the Hex edit instructions. If that HEx edit is in the previous models then it is only a matter of identifying the line - and getting that info would be the next step.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Stinicker - Thanks for the info. I was going to try the hex edit and I had assumed most of the steps in the second doc - but its comforting to see someone elses notes.

I have a G10B and I understand the risks. I'll post my results when I get home in 2 weeks. I'll also post my backup for others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Stinicker, This is the hack i posted earlier in this thread. So fair whack for trying it (and damien - no guts no glory!)! Your second pdf is helpful and lays it out step by step.

Now that you know that this works, what about the audio problems. Can you pull up detailed info on the audio PIDs being displayed by default on the problem channel? Four digit number labelled APID.

I wonder as an aside if anyone who has an earlier combo (LZD81 or PZ81) can even pull up the menu (ONLY GOING AS FAR AS STEP 2 then exiting) in the Hex edit instructions. If that HEx edit is in the previous models then it is only a matter of identifying the line - and getting that info would be the next step.

Yeah, its the same hack alright STB and Damien was the first to try it. I just made the instructions a little bit easier for the user as there was one spelling mistake saying "the" instead of "then" that had me confused for a little bit!! I also used France as the country instead of Germany as that indicated!

I can't get the APID from the Panasonic however I got them from my Technomate TM 6900HD combo box instead and am receiving it from Mullaghanish.

RTÉ One = 1201
    RTÉ Two - 1202
    TV3 = 1203
    TG4 = 1204
    RTÉ News Now = 1205
    3e = 1206
    RTENL HD = 1207

TV3 and 3e have the sound problem all the time and TG4 seems fine now and it appears to be programme specific on TG4.

I'm sure a quick trawl through AV Forums would give the Hex Edit instructions for the earlier models as it was used by the AV pureists to allow them to unlock the gamma control which you can't change in G10B mode so it might be the same for the earlier models.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

There is no hack possible for earlier models because there was no corresponding range for central europe on the market in 2008.
    The hack for the G10B plasma simply change the product-id (hardwareID). The numbers 03 mean G10B and 20 mean GW10 plasma. The TV software check that ID and start than the software part which is defined for that model group.
    Btw the hack was only tested for the G10B plasma range. Nobody checked the product-id's for the lcd range. Its maybe not so a good idea to try 20 at G10B lcd.
    A wrong/not defined product-id kill the TV after leaving the service menu.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Can this be done for the LxxG10B model?

Can you enter the special Menu and Exit the menu without changing anything or saving anything ??

maxg wrote: »
    There is no hack possible for earlier models because there was no corresponding range for central europe on the market in 2008.
    The hack for the G10B plasma simply change the product-id (hardwareID). The numbers 03 mean G10B and 20 mean GW10 plasma. The TV software check that ID and start than the software part which is defined for that model group.
    Btw the hack was only tested for the G10B plasma range. Nobody checked the product-id's for the lcd range. Its maybe not so a good idea to try 20 at G10B lcd.
    A wrong/not defined product-id kill the TV after leaving the service menu.

The G15 is also in that model group. And apparently it does work but you need to change the value to 0F (zeroF) instead of 20. That area obviously being the model identifier.

One of the guys on hackaday has and it didnt brick his TV (it was a 37").

You are only doing this temporarily to tune in the stations and then reverting back to original settings.

But as maxg says - be careful.

@STB
    Thanks for that. It's not my telly but my neighbours, so I'm not sure whether to recomend this as if it goes wrong, ..............

He might be prepared to try, but he is not technical.

@STB
    Thanks for that. It's not my telly but my neighbours, so I'm not sure whether to recomend this as if it goes wrong, ..............

He might be prepared to try, but he is not technical.

Hmm best not to fall out with the neighbours!

Hmm best not to fall out with the neighbours!

That is why I need the Hotel file for ch 54 3Rock/Kippure.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi Guys,

Just noticed that the sound is back working again (without option etc...) on TG4 ...
    Now only TV3 and 3E with no sound ...
    They must be making some other changes along with RTE2 in HD ..

This is on a 50v10 freesat model ..

Anyone else with Panasonics notice this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I'm still somewhat perplexed as to why the Panasonic is preferring narrative stream over the regular language stream, but only on some channels.

On analysis, TG4 has one audio PID (1204) which is marked "iri" as the language.

TV3 has two audio PIDs - 1203 marked "eng" and 1213 marked "nar". These are consistent with RTE One which has 1201/1211 marked "eng"/"nar" and RTE Two which has 1202/1212, similarly marked "eng"/"nar" resectively.

So why is the Panasonic working ok for RTE1 and 2, but doing something different for TV3? What about 3E which has audio PIDs 1206/1216?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 John1000

I got the channels back on a G15B LCD. The channels are a bit slower to change now but at least they work. Thanks maxg for that hack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

fat-tony wrote: »
    I'm still somewhat perplexed as to why the Panasonic is preferring narrative stream over the regular language stream, but only on some channels.

On analysis, TG4 has one audio PID (1204) which is marked "iri" as the language.

TV3 has two audio PIDs - 1203 marked "eng" and 1213 marked "nar". These are consistent with RTE One which has 1201/1211 marked "eng"/"nar" and RTE Two which has 1202/1212, similarly marked "eng"/"nar" resectively.

So why is the Panasonic working ok for RTE1 and 2, but doing something different for TV3? What about 3E which has audio PIDs 1206/1216?

3E and TV3 are the only 2 channels that do not have sound working, without changing via the option button .. All others are now working , TG4 was not working on my TV until today, so something must have changed recently ..

Advertisement