Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold weather tips? How do you cope?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I just have to say this, I would die of hypothermia before I would wear a scarf.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I just have to say this, I would die of hypothermia before I would wear a scarf.
    It would be a cold day in hell then...? :P

...But seriously, I asked the original question because due to the carbon tax alone doubling and as such, bills like as ESB/Gas/etc showing no signs of coming down but getting worse - some folk out there would appreciate further tips on how to keep warm this winter, outdoors and inside.

I'll be quite fine but I'm sure there are some helpful tips out there that some might like to share.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Block drafts, shrink plastic over windows(seriously works), and wool clothing is your friend when venturing outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My winter survival - drive EVERYWHERE!.

Heater on full blast, beanie, scarf, hoodie, gloves - the works.

I dread winter, my moods are sh*t, I get muscle cramps everywhere. Impossible to keep my feet warm.. Even beer doesn't taste the same.

...shrink plastic over windows(seriously works)...
    Never heard of that one before! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Probably good to get a bit of exercise and get the blood flowing, otherwise you might be all wrapped up but you've no heat to keep insulated in in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

I don't know what they're called, but you can get these reflective things which fit behind a radiator, which retain a lot of heat, esp in poorly insulated houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Pookah wrote: »
    I don't know what they're called, but you can get these reflective things which fit behind a radiator, which retain a lot of heat, esp in poorly insulated houses.

Tin foil.

I hear Jim Corr has his house wallpapered in the stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,808 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Biggins wrote: »
    Never heard of that one before! :)
    Blocks all the little microdrafts around the edges of the windows, very common hereabouts in Buffalo. We are the poster children of wind-chill factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

A good old fashioned Ushanka. Clothing from the neck down optional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

A hat and thick socks are what'll keep you warmest when you're out.

Inside-seal up any drafts(obviously don't seal everything or you might poison yourself!)
    Make sure your rads are giving out as much heat as they can-bleed them if they need it.
    A hot water bottle is a cheap way of staying cosy.
    Get a Frost Watch for the attic to ensure your pipes don't freeze.
    If you've a really cold room or just want extra heat, get an oil filled rad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This list can also be well used in event of a Zombie Apocalypse.
    I agree and we should be due a zombie apocalypse soon enough way things are going might be best way to keep the population down :D imagine all irelands government turn first how would we best kill them thats a list i wanna see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I look up genuinely cold countries on the net and I manage. :)

stovelid wrote: »
    I look up genuinely cold countries on the net and I manage. :)
    Stop looking at me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I generally manage to be a bit warmer than everyone else somehow, so I don't really have any "tips". I have started wearing gloves and a scarf though, but I still think 2 layers for outside is grand.
    We have the central heating on a timer for a couple hours in the evening so we are grand then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭BornToBe?

I find a good "old fashioned" from my brother just before I go to bed warms me right up! ;) your welcome

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Scarf,a fleece and a rain jacket is what I wear. Somethmes a hat but I dont like hat hair.

I wear 2 pairs of socks and normal foot wear and gloves also.

A hot whisky is always good to cope!

...A hot whisky is always good to cope!
    That one is a misconception - for the elderly especially, a very dangerous one.

The intake of alcohol actually lowers a persons body temperature. As such they start to feel the cold less in that their body notices less the differentiation between their own heat and the outside heat.

The onset then of cold related illnesses becomes harder to detect. Pneumonia, etc get a greater chance to gain a hold in the elderly especially.
    They think their body is getting warm when in fact their temperature is actually lowering to that of their surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

hibernate

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Layers - a few t-shirts and 2 jumpers usually does the trick. I also wear a pair of leggings or tights under my trousers (I'm a lady-person so this is allowed) and 2 pairs of socks.

Hat + scarf + gloves are essential. Except perhaps the hat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

bluewolf wrote: »
    I generally manage to be a bit warmer than everyone else somehow

Werewolf DNA?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Werewolf DNA?

:pac:

Duno why it is, been that way since I was a child. Maybe I have really good circulation or something? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

bluewolf wrote: »
    :pac:

Duno why it is, been that way since I was a child. Maybe I have really good circulation or something? :confused:

Think it's more to do with your metabolism.
    Some people just run hot, some run cold.

I have good circulation (rosy cheeks and whatnot) but usually if I'm cuddling with a lady-person she'd be fine and I'd feel way too hot. My hands are always cold compared to other people's, but I don't think they're cold until I touch someone!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Buy a plane ticket to the tropics and get the f**k out of there!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

A hat is vital as is wearing the entire contents of your wardrobe at the same time :D

Now......Slightly off topic but am i the only person that has to suffer with a girlfriend made of solid ice for 3 months of the year? :(

I hop into bed, make a cocoon for myself (You may laugh but at least i'm warm and happy :D) , snow woman appears, Seconds later shes taken the warm blankets, tucked herself in next to me and i'm colder than when i originally got into the bed :mad:

I'm convinced she's lying to me about taking off make up etc and actually hanging in the freezer for a few minutes before bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

1) its not cold in ireland

2) layers

3) layers

4) see 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Clohane wrote: »
    A hat is vital as is wearing the entire contents of your wardrobe at the same time :D

Now......Slightly off topic but am i the only person that has to suffer with a girlfriend made of solid ice for 3 months of the year? :(

I hop into bed, make a cocoon for myself (You may laugh but at least i'm warm and happy :D) , snow woman appears, Seconds later shes taken the warm blankets, tucked herself in next to me and i'm colder than when i originally got into the bed :mad:

I'm convinced she's lying to me about taking off make up etc and actually hanging in the freezer for a few minutes before bed!

All women are cold-blooded. This is a fact. They are warmth vampires. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Clohane wrote: »

I wish it was only three months of the year. Put loads of effort into getting nice and warm and vooooomp there she is arms around me stealing it, degree by degree :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Ive been wearing leggings under my jeans. €4 in penneys but i had to go searching through the womens clothes section :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Think it's more to do with your metabolism.
    Some people just run hot, some run cold

I never seem to feel the cold, for some reason (I'm a laydee:p) All I ever wear in the winter time is a T-shirt and a hoody. Last winter for the first time ever since I moved to Ireland, I wore a light rain jacket on my evening walk when the temperature got to minus 6 or 7. Would never wear gloves, scarf or a hat.

Maybe it's cos I grew up in the North of England? It was a lot colder there than it gets here (and northerners are well known for never wearing jackets)

Is there a scientific reason for some people feeling the cold more than others?

Advertisement