Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unrest Outside Dail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Of course I'd love to see what one of the MP's would do if a protester struck him/her and there were no media around.
    2qlsu35.jpg
    (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

I was thinking the same thing, I'd love to see these "Peaceful protesters" being dealt with by the army after throwing a few punches and then shouting peaceful protest to the officer and those under his command, I'd say they would be glad to be dealt with by AGS after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

DonJose wrote: »
    Funny, all I saw was a scumbag using a baton on an elected TD.

Try to remain civil or else do not post in this forum.

One and only warning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

NGA.. Was.. it.. you.. at the Dail yesterday?

:P

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Corcioch wrote: »
    Exactly,

Isn't it amazing what folks convince themselves they saw:rolleyes:

It sure is amazing what folks convince themselves they saw. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

parsi wrote: »
    It sure is amazing what folks convince themselves they saw. :rolleyes:

Good Man, At least your aware of the problem. Your on the way to dealing with it now.

• Advertisement

Good Man, At least your aware of the problem. Your on the way to dealing with it now.

I presume that by "your" you actually mean "you're" ? You're a credit, mate.

Are you a troll. The TD and one of the protesters are clearly trying to pull the baton out of the Garda's hand. Anything that happens to them trying that is tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

The thing that concerns me the most about the incident is that the motorcycle gardai's reactions is so out of line with the other four gardai's reactions. Which makes me wonder, what threat did he see that the others didnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

No he cant be arrested on his way to Dail Eireann......IF the Dail is in session or he is travelling to session.

Of course common law breach of the peace can kick in......

Thanks for that. If other laws can kick in then how come that fg td wasnt arrested for drink driving in the grounds of the dail?

foreign wrote: »
    Are you a troll. The TD and one of the protesters are clearly trying to pull the baton out of the Garda's hand. Anything that happens to them trying that is tough.

Grammar and spelling is important. No amount of troll accusations can change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

DonJose wrote: »
    Funny, all I saw was a scumbag using a baton on an elected TD.

Maybe the "scumbag" was afraid the "elected T.D" had some of his mates with him

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/cs-gas-discovered-in-home-of-o-snodaigh-supporter-465028.html

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Of course I'd love to see what one of the MP's would do if a protester struck him/her and there were no media around.
    2qlsu35.jpg
    (AP Photo/Peter Morrison)

Are the MPs usually on duty at Leinster House? I don't recall ever seeing them there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rialtas

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    The thing that concerns me the most about the incident is that the motorcycle gardai's reactions is so out of line with the other four gardai's reactions. Which makes me wonder, what threat did he see that the others didnt?

I'd say if he was a Garda of a certain vintage, he would have seen plenty.

"They haven't gone away you know" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Spartan09

What he seen was that he was initially alone while an angry baying mob pushed and forced their way towards government buildings, which he was there to protect by whatever means necessary. When faced with such a mob he legitably drew his baton to try to hold the crowd back on his own, being unaware of where or how long it would be before backup would arrive to support him. Seems like a perfectly logical reaction to me and fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I would like to believe that people would think twice when confronting the MP at Leinster House; considering that they're carrying heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

belacqua_ wrote: »
    Are the MPs usually on duty at Leinster House? I don't recall ever seeing them there before.

Out of sight and out of mind. ;)

But yes, there is a permanent MP detachment in Government Buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

I have to say that I found the RTE footage of the protests (Student one as well) pretty fair. And I don't presume any civil disturbance is one sided but the definition of appropriate force does seem to be a bit grey for some people. The students, like the AGS had their own cameras so at least we can see a bit more of it to form an opinion. (those of us not there)

Most surprising is how the AGS is seen in some of the footage, considering how seriously the AGS take their PR. And RTE wouldn't be considered anti state in anyway. So either they were heavy handed or one or two incidents escaped their full control IMO.

Thanks for that. If other laws can kick in then how come that fg td wasnt arrested for drink driving in the grounds of the dail?

The grounds of the Dail are not a public place under the Road Traffic Act.
    ZuppyLurk wrote: »
    I have to say that I found the RTE footage of the protests (Student one as well) pretty fair. And I don't presume any civil disturbance is one sided but the definition of appropriate force does seem to be a bit grey for some people. The students, like the AGS had their own cameras so at least we can see a bit more of it to form an opinion. (those of us not there)

Most surprising is how the AGS is seen in some of the footage, considering how seriously the AGS take their PR. And RTE wouldn't be considered anti state in anyway. So either they were heavy handed or one or two incidents escaped their full control IMO.

How many unedited videos of the full event have you seen? Not ones that are just two or three minutes long in the middle of things?

Gardaí will not release the footage they have as it may be used as evidence.

foreign wrote: »
    The grounds of the Dail are not a public place under the Road Traffic Act.

How many unedited videos of the full event have you seen? Not ones that are just two or three minutes long in the middle of things?

Gardaí will not release the footage they have as it may be used as evidence.

As we should all know edited or unedited doesn't matter, people at the same events form very different opinions. I am sure most eye witnesses don't all give the same story. I am just saying that the footage (public) didn't look too complementary for the AGS.

And like most public servants I am sure the AGS is open to criticism.

As we should all know edited or unedited doesn't matter, people at the same events form very different opinions. I am sure most eye witnesses don't all give the same story. I am just saying that the footage (public) didn't look too complementary for the AGS.

And like most public servants I am sure the AGS is open to criticism.

I'll accept criticism when it's warranted. Basing your opinion on selected or edited footage is just stupid. If the full unedited footage show wrong doing then I'd probably be the first one to criticise because it leads to the whole force being labeled by the actions of a few.

• Advertisement

BTW my opinion was on the footage and the light it showed on the individuals in question. I never implied there was any wrong doing by either side. I can only base my opinion on what footage I saw, anything else would actually be stupid. Just as considering the Garda footage (without seeing it) to be the full unedited and unbiased version, would be stupid.

Either better PR management or the appearance of more restraint would have helped on this occasion.

Lmao . . .the spelling police . . . . pathetic. . . .and exceedingly conceited

Grammar and spelling is important. No amount of troll accusations can change that.

No its not . . .this is an internet discussion forum.

We're not writing a thesis here or contending for the Man Booker Prize.

Get a life will ya.

No its not . . .this is an internet discussion forum.

We're not writing a thesis here or contending for the Man Booker Prize.

Get a life will ya.

I think you missed his point. :) hence the grammar is very important.

Can't trash the dude as a troll coz u don't like there point of view. :)

I think you missed his point. :) hence the grammar is very important.

Can't trash the dude as a troll coz u don't like there point of view. :)

Did I accuse anyone of being a troll??

No.

Sad, ya.

Spending ones time nit picking at minor spelling errors is beyond sad imo.

If I were back in school writing essays then such correction may be warranted . . . but here, now, on an interweb forum . . . . .this is hardly the setting for literary perfection.

Im here to discuss topics . . .not nit pick at something as banal as a missed spelling. I dont have time for that . .I have a life.

If you don't have time then stop dragging the thread off topic.

Did I accuse anyone of being a troll??

No.

Sad, ya.

Spending ones time nit picking at minor spelling errors is beyond sad imo.

If I were back in school writing essays then such correction may be warranted . . . but here, now, on an interweb forum . . . . .this is hardly the setting for literary perfection.

Im here to discuss topics . . .not nit pick at something as banal as a missed spelling. I dont have time for that . .I have a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Question for any gardai hanging around here, when you're ordered to beat down on pensioners and trade unionists will you stand up to your superiors unlike when it was students and Shinners? Or will you continue to be used by the State to maintain "law and order"?

Mod edit by PSNI: Infraction issued for this post.

If you don't have time then stop dragging the thread off topic.

What??

If your so concerned about the thread going off topic why did you stick your nose in in the first place?? . . .to my reply to another poster??????????

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Question for any gardai hanging around here, when you're ordered to beat down on pensioners and trade unionists will you stand up to your superiors unlike when it was students and Shinners? Or will you continue to be used by the State to maintain "law and order"?

What a pathetic attempt at provocation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

It's an honest question. Good to see you're so easily provoked though.

Advertisement