Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legalise prostitution, another 500+ jobs yey :)

Options
  • 17-11-2010 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

I don't see why the oldest profession in the world has to remain underground in Ireland when the gambling industry can enjoy tax free status and exploit a large number of people day in day out everywhere!!

at least when ya drop some cash in the brothel you're a winner everytime

I cannot see the excitment of handing your hard earned cash over to someone for a worthless piece of paper!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Elevator wrote: »
    I don't see why the oldest profession in the world has to remain underground in Ireland when the gambling industry can enjoy tax free status and exploit a large number of people day in day out everywhere!!

at least when ya drop some cash in the brothel you're a winner everytime

I cannot see the excitment of handing your hard earned cash over to someone for a worthless piece of paper!!
    And maybe walk out with a bonus STD:P In all seriousness though I have no problem with prostitution been legalised just as long as it is properly regulated and all parties taking part are consenting adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

20 notes on sunderland to beat Chelsea @ 12/1.

great ride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

Dun laoire wrote: »
    20 notes on sunderland to beat Chelsea @ 12/1.

great ride!

yes but people lose a lot more than they win over the years

nice bet btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I thought the oldest profession in the world was accountancy for years when I was a young lad.

My Dad's accountant was ancient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Legalise and regulate it. It would make it safer for all involved and "Sex Workers" would have to pay income tax and and charge VAT for their services. Makes sense imo.

• Advertisement

yes but people lose a lot more than they win over the years

nice bet btw

Spending a few hundred on whores every now and then is hardly a sound investment either is it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

It is already legal. Advertise through a UK site you are not committing any crime letting a guy stick his length in your clunge for money.

I wonder if people realised this would they be more likely to have it regulated (and therefore taxable, which obviously the whores don't ant to happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

It is already legal. Advertise through a UK site you are not committing any crime letting a guy stick his length in your clunge for money.

Yup, it's only solicitation and pimping and the like is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Good grief, could you imagine the picket lines scouring with feminists and religious types?

Go up to them, pull out your wallet and ask how much for quick handjob? :pac:

RoverJames wrote: »
    Spending a few hundred on whores every now and then is hardly a sound investment either is it :rolleyes:

if bookies ran brothels you'd be dropping your cash with a chance of a ride

everyone's a winner in a brothel

how many win in the bookies? and if you could add up all cash spent and won for everyone that ever gambled then I'm sure the madness of it all ould be revealed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

So OP, you would rather see a profession which causes great risk to peoples health legalised, rather than jobs created in the entertainment industry? Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This made me giggle, anyway.

So OP, you would rather see a profession which causes great risk to peoples health legalised, rather than jobs created in the entertainment industry? Unreal.

how is it a risk to peoples health if it's regulated and brazzers are tested regularly for stds? there is plenty of evidence of prostitution working when it's legalised and it's a totally natural thing to have sex!!

gambling now falls under entertainment does it? entertaining for the bookies and those who have just one a ton and only to lose it and more in future bets!!

see gambling is held together by the monatery system which you could argue isn't very natural really is it

money has done nothing but bad things to us all and gambling doesn't make it any better either, sure even when someone wins that can have a serious negative effect on that person as they've got the taste of the illusion of success and might risk more in the long run to experience it again

how is it a risk to peoples health if it's regulated and brazzers are tested regularly for stds? there is plenty of evidence of prostitution working when it's legalised and it's a totally natural thing to have sex!!

gambling now falls under entertainment does it? entertaining for the bookies and those who have just one a ton and only to lose it and more in future bets!!

see gambling is held together by the monatery system which you could argue isn't very natural really is it

money has done nothing but bad things to us all and gambling doesn't make it any better either, sure even when someone wins that can have a serious negative effect on that person as they've got the taste of the illusion of success and might risk more in the long run to experience it again

Prostitution can cause great physical and mental health disorders.

Gambling is like everything else, enjoy it in moderation.

yes but I'd say there's more damage in underground prostitution than legal?

the very nature of the act means that in the right environment both parties are enjoying a true pleasure and hurting nobody (bdsm excluded cos we all know for some pain is pleasure but that's for another topic)

the very nature of the act means that in the right environment both parties are enjoying a true pleasure and hurting nobody (bdsm excluded cos we all know for some pain is pleasure but that's for another topic)

Would you rather gambling made illegal and made to go underground then? You are talking about legalising prostitution but you want to make gambling illegal. Bit Ironic don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Good debate. I'm not sure what to say about it, there are good arguments both way.

But in terms of STD's, I read recently that in Munich - where prostitution is more heavily regulated than in other areas of Germany, with regular STD checks etc - the prostitutes have an STD rate half that of the general population. I suppose they're always switched on, versus meeting a randomer in a club.

The tax benefits is an upswing, as is removing the criminal elements and making it a legal business.

On the downside is the hidden cost of prostitution... Though there are arguments to be made that women can make a choice, and in a more regulated industry it's harder to force in people to work in it.

Enie, meanie, miney, mo on regulating it. Could be a fair argument to say 'If we keep it illegal because it's harmful, let's ban alcohol and tobacco.'

Anyways, a debate worth having.

can't we have both?

Since when does consensual sex between two adults cause physical harm and mental distress? Lets get down to the bare bones, its a business arrangement, nothing more nothing less. Does paying a masseuse (the legal kind) cause these disorders, no. How about a maid, someone who has to scrub the skidmarks off you toilet bowl, unlikely. Then how would paying someone to engage in a completely natural physical act cause any lasting damage to anyone?

As long as the industry is properly regulated and everyone involved knows what they are getting into then I see no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Good debate. I'm not sure what to say about it, there are good arguments both way.

But in terms of STD's, I read recently that in Munich - where prostitution is more heavily regulated than in other areas of Germany, with regular STD checks etc - the prostitutes have an STD rate half that of the general population. I suppose they're always switched on, versus meeting a randomer in a club.

The tax benefits is an upswing, as is removing the criminal elements and making it a legal business.

On the downside is the hidden cost of prostitution... Though there are arguments to be made that women can make a choice, and in a more regulated industry it's harder to force in people to work in it.

Enie, meanie, miney, mo on regulating it. Could be a fair argument to say 'If we keep it illegal because it's harmful, let's ban alcohol and tobacco.'

Anyways, a debate worth having.

Ban alcohol? Then what would we do for entertainment? Your radical thinking scares and confuses me

• Advertisement

Since when does consensual sex between two adults cause physical harm and mental distress? Lets get down to the bare bones, its a business arrangement, nothing more nothing less. Does paying a masseuse (the legal kind) cause these disorders, no. How about a maid, someone who has to scrub the skidmarks off you toilet bowl, unlikely. Then how would paying someone to engage in a completely natural physical act cause any lasting damage to anyone?

As long as the industry is properly regulated and everyone involved knows what they are getting into then I see no problem with it.

First of all, I never said prostitution shouldn't be legalised. I was saying that it has risks as well as gambling.

No matter how much something is regulated (alcohol for example), it has risks. If enjoyed in moderation and it is heavily regulated they can be enjoyed.

Which is why both should be legal and heavily regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

ROFL....I'm not sure if you are just naive or taking the p1ss here. Do you really think that prostitutes are 'enjoying a true pleasure'?

I'm not sure where I stand on legalising and regulating prostitution. I like the idea of it because it offers more protection to the women (and men) involved but I'm not convinced that it doesn't cause psychological damage.

I know lots of people say that many prostitutes make the decision to do it, but I don't know anyone who really dreams of this as a career or would want others to know that this is what they do for a living. For most, I imagine they see it as the only way they can make money, so they are economically 'forced' to do it. I'm sure there are people who do consciously make the decision, I just think that they are the minority and for many, they'd rather be doing anything else than selling themselves.

Everyone needs a vice, they make life tolerable (for some) and moderation is the key to avoid them destroying you, be it financially or physically. I see this argument a lot; people debating which ones should be legal and which should be banned. I feel banning a vice and relegating and it to the underground doesn't dispel peoples desires to indulge in it certainly doesn't make the potential damage it can cause less harmful.

Bringing vice's, be it gambling, prostitution, drugs and alcohol to the mainstream at least lets us ensure they are as safe as possible, we can also review more clearly the levels and frequency of which they are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Good grief, could you imagine the picket lines scouring with feminists and religious types?

Go up to them, pull out your wallet and ask how much for quick handjob? :pac:

I dunno. Feminists are so confused about what they believe in I'm not really sure they'd be protesting against or supporting prostitution.

@emf2010

they're having sex!! consentual sex with remuneration for one of the parties

I can think of a lot worse ways of making money

do you think prostitution is dirty or shamefull?

First of all, I never said prostitution shouldn't be legalised. I was saying that it has risks as well as gambling.

No matter how much something is regulated (alcohol for example), it has risks. If enjoyed in moderation and it is heavily regulated they can be enjoyed.

Which is why both should be legal and heavily regulated.
    Reading this post I take it you are in support of the legalisation of prostitution then?

It has risks but as long as the people engaging in the act are fully aware of them then it is their decision. Every job or activity has its risks, recognised, quantified and understood but what really gets my goat is that currently there are people, primarily women, who are engaging in prostitution without any safeguards or protection from the wider community. I would much rather see these people protected fully, with all its problems and frankly unethical practices which are endemic in the industry brought out into the light and stamped out then to carry on as we are with our heads in the sand thinking that this is not our problem or that these people do not deserve to be recognised because of the life they lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

They're having sex yes....for the umpteenth time that day/night/week. Repeat anything often enough and it ceases to be fun...it's their job, not the recreational pleasure that you or me or anyone else enjoys. Of course their views of sex would change!

Reading this post I take it you are in support of the legalisation of prostitution then?

It has risks but as long as the people engaging in the act are fully aware of them then it is their decision. Every job or activity has its risks, recognisedly, quantified and understood but what really gets my goat is that currently there are people, primarily women, who are engaging in prostitution without any safeguards or protection from the wider community. I would much rather see these people protected fully, with all its problems and frankly unethical practices which are endemic in the industry brought out into the light and stamped out then to carry on as we are with our heads in the sand thinking that this is not our problem or that these people do not deserve to be recognised because of the life they lead.

I agree. Prostitution is unavoidable and will never be wiped out. There is a reason why it is an old profession. By legalising and regulating it you can protect people in the long run. Also by educating them on the risks etc it might make them think twice.

The point I was trying to make, was that the OP was for legalising one thing and making illegal another thing. While both carry a significant amount of risks. An ignorant view in my opinion.

Prostitutes and gambling for all then, sounds like a hell of a party (just as long as you can afford it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

And maybe walk out with a bonus STD:P In all seriousness though I have no problem with prostitution been legalised just as long as it is properly regulated and all parties taking part are consenting adults.

Orgies Galore

Advertisement