Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PEYTON HILLIS SWINDLE - McDaniels out of his depth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

neilster wrote: »
    To say that there are comparisons is a stretch ...Aaron Rodgers was a star in college as a conventional QB at USC ...made steady progress backing up a legend until he took his place .. a natural succession
    Are you purposely evading my point? The only way Tebow can be considered a bust is because he's not a rookie starter -- just like Rodgers. And countless others.

You can make assumptions, and speculate, but ultimately the guy has to be given the benefit of the doubt. You're not giving Tebow any chance. i wouldn't mind but your the guy who called Orton elite a few weeks ago. Now tebow is a bust because he hasn't ousted an elite QB in his first year?

This is just a continuation of the Tebow bashing we've seen before. Josh McDaniels may not be head coach material, but he knows about offense. He wouldn't have picked Tebow in the 1st round if he wasn't confident of the guy's ability. Give him a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭neilster

themont85 wrote: »
    I love how you are proclaiming McCoy to be a success and Tebow and Clausen busts, already. Tebow has probably taken just a couple of dozen snaps in the NFL, if even, and the majority of those were running plays. Clausen has played a couple of games for a lame duck coached team. McCoy has had 2 decent performances but lets not go crazy.

I would be highly critical of the way McDaniels has gone about the QB position but you can't argue that he has taken ballsy decisions when easy ones were there to take, in fairness to him. Bringing Brady Quinn in was seen as an okay move at the time and could well still be a good one, he did provide competition at the QB spot. Many Denver fans wanted Orton traded this summer so its not like he was a Godsend Franchise QB.

I for one have always had problems with Clausen ..he was a punk in college and Notre Dame went down the tubes on his watch

Texas blossomed with McCoy and him with them ...funny in college he didnt look good in camps or before he got the QB1 spot but then reveled in the leading role

Holmgren looked at both and plumped for McCoy and he knows more about QBs than us all put together..its early for McCoy but this was the Pats and Saints 2 weeks in a row..something to build on

Clausen has lots of problems...Moore is gone for season and probably for ever so it will be on his shoulders now and he is on a 2nd rd contract and losing the coach in the off-season (Fox will go ) who brought him there ..he will have to show something i would say to get to stay as a new coach will have to be convinced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I for one have always had problems with Clausen ..he was a punk in college and Notre Dame went down the tubes on his watch

It's a bit of a stretch to say that the Irish went down the tubes on Clausen's watch, that program has been dire for years and in all fairness it is highly unlikely that we will see them rebounding anytime soon. The issue with ND isnt to do with players like Clausen it is to do with the changing nature of college football

davyjose wrote: »
    Are you purposely evading my point? The only way Tebow can be considered a bust is because he's not a rookie starter -- just like Rodgers. And countless others.

You can make assumptions, and speculate, but ultimately the guy has to be given the benefit of the doubt. You're not giving Tebow any chance. i wouldn't mind but your the guy who called Orton elite a few weeks ago. Now tebow is a bust because he hasn't ousted an elite QB in his first year?

This is just a continuation of the Tebow bashing we've seen before. Josh McDaniels may not be head coach material, but he knows about offense. He wouldn't have picked Tebow in the 1st round if he wasn't confident of the guy's ability. Give him a break.

You are comparing Rodgers and Tebow ..totally different QBs

thats like comparing a Vick and a Brady ....totally different ...nearly all the Round 1 rookie QBs have started ....Bradford ...Stafford ....

Tebow is the only one not doing it ...why cos he has a QB in front of him

2nd in yardage
    6th in completions
    7th in QB rating

thats what makes this intriguing ...the big money contract.. the mechanics problems ....the unlikely high pick of an embattled coach ...and a QB with big number ahead of him

who says Orton is a bust ...Rivers is on a 3-5 team with MVP stats...the only QB ahead of him in yardage

You are right Tebow hasnt got a chance to show what he can do and he due to circumstance may never get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Actually he has moved up from 3rd to 2nd on the depth chart.

and then moved back down
    http://www.nflsportsdaily.com/nfl-football/broncos-drop-qb-tebow-to-3rd-string-ap.html

• Advertisement

You are comparing Rodgers and Tebow ..totally different QBs

thats like comparing a Vick and a Brady ....totally different ...nearly all the Round 1 rookie QBs have started ....Bradford ...Stafford ....
    You really don't get the point I'm making? I'm not comparing their styles. I'm comparing the fact they sat behind a better, more experienced QB.
    That's the comparison I'm making. Rodgers is clearly not a bust, so you can't call Tebow a bust just because you don't like what you see.

who says Orton is a bust ...Rivers is on a 3-5 team with MVP stats...the only QB ahead of him in yardage

I never said Orton is a bust. Not even close.

davyjose wrote: »
    You really don't get the point I'm making? I'm not comparing their styles. I'm comparing the fact they sat behind a better, more experienced QB.
    That's the comparison I'm making. Rodgers is clearly not a bust, so you can't call Tebow a bust just because you don't like what you see.

I never said Orton is a bust. Not even close.

But Rodgers showed progression as he should have done ....the Broncos i dont see them seeing that at present ...maybe i am wrong

and if you have any info on what bronco thoughts are id love to hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭tommyboyle

Young sat on the bench behind montana and waited his turn there is no exactly the same circumstance. As far as the payroll that is a great point and should be remedied with the upcoming contract. But the bench is the place for tebow and next year two. Josh never had any intenention in starting him yet. The talent he possesses will make him a fun prodject for a guy who has experience developing qbs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

tommyboyle wrote: »
    Young sat on the bench behind montana and waited his turn there is no exactly the same circumstance. As far as the payroll that is a great point and should be remedied with the upcoming contract. But the bench is the place for tebow and next year two. Josh never had any intenention in starting him yet. The talent he possesses will make him a fun prodject for a guy who has experience developing qbs

The problem is giving up draft picks and moving into the first round when you've a good few holes to fill is such a poor decision on his part and will be one of many poor decisions that will probably mean he won't get to play with his project in two years time. If you want a player to sit and learn for a few years you draft him in the 3rd round or later, you now a days teams can't afford to draft a 1st round player and let him sit because as Tallaght pointed out it is to expensive.

In the upcoming contract there will be a cap set for draft picks. The union is not really debatimg this, they just want some of the unused money to go to the retired players fund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

He's since gone back to 2nd string, according to mcdaniels he got demoted for that game because qb trick option plays were not going to get us anywhere vs the colts (which was idiotic as our redzone offence killed us that game and tebow coulda been a breath of fresh air in the RZ)

McDaniels went out on a limb with Tebow ...there are a lot of doubts ..not of the guys heart or professionalism or in his running talent but in his ability as a passer ....i dont have to speculate...its there on the other 31 teams boards as this info comes out

Maybe a better comparison is Vick from No 1 pick in 00 through that last season at the Falcons ...always doubt about accuracy high passes ...mechanics etc

but now he has all the attributes of a classic pocket passer but with Olypic sprinter speed ...take Rex Ryan blitzing all night and leaving Revis and Cromartie to beat away passes ...he cant do that with Vick cos if he gets passed scrimmage during a blitz and safeties and CBs are deep , its big yardage..that happened late in the Colts game.. where he stepped up on a blitz

Lot of people were high on him too...

some coaches/prominent NFL figures opinions of Tebow:

Steve Spagnuolo: “When that young man walked in our room at the combine, you talk about an impressive guy. I’d never bet against that guy. He’s got something about him. He walks in and just controls the room in a good way, not in a cocky way. We watched tape with him and as soon as he got the remote in his hand, he was into it and just rolled with it. You could tell he was loving it. He wasn’t putting on a show. He deeply, deeply has a passion for what he does. He believes in himself.’’

Mike Shanahan: “I like everything about him. If you can’t root for a guy like Tebow, you don’t like your kids. ... He’s kind of an off-the-chart guy. Those guys don’t come around all the time, especially with the success he’s had.’’

Mike Holmgren: “The problem is you’re rolling the dice a little bit more because of his mechanics. But I think he’s going to make some team real happy,’’

Mike Mc Carthy: “I think he’s a winner. I’m excited to see what he does in the NFL. He wins games. It’ll be interesting to see who has the opportunity to develop him. I’d love to have the opportunity.’’

Tony Dungy: "As a coach, I always like winners," Dungy said. "Tim Tebow doesn't have the classic throwing motion, he doesn't have the accuracy, maybe, right now that some people are looking for, but I think when he gets into a pro system that really stresses throwing the ball accurately, the big thing is he makes the people around him better. And he's won. ... I think he's going to be a great player in the NFL"

Jon Gruden: "No question. The hard part is, you have to isolate the option. That's why Tim Tebow is so interesting to me. He's like Brandon Jacobs playing quarterback. He's 250 pounds. He's the strongest human being who's ever played the position. Ever. He will kick the living **** out of a defensive lineman. He'll fight anybody. He is rare. Tebow is the kind of guy who could revolutionize the game. He's the 'wildcat' who can throw. Most of the teams that have the wildcat back there, it's Ronnie Brown, it's Jerious Norwood, it's whoever you want to say it is. This guy here is 250 pounds of concrete cyanide, man. And he can throw. He throws well enough at any level to play quarterback."
    "When he was a high school senior, they played Armwood in the state championship game. I have tape. He has an 80-yard touchdown run that put them in the lead. When it flipped around, and Armwood had the ball, what position do you think Tebow was playing? He was playing nose guard - and he disrupted about 10 plays. This guy is totally different. He's got Rich Gannon, Drew Brees, that kind of makeup as a team guy. What he said after the Ole Miss game, I said, 'That's my favorite football player I've ever seen in my whole life.' I said, 'I want Florida to win every game that kid plays from now on.'"

Brad Childress also reportedly wanted him... i doubt he still would have been there for us after the 1st round as the vikes and panthers, who both wanted QBs, didnt pick til the 2nd round.. buffalo also were interested in trading into the late 1st to pick him up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

i dont think he will be a first choice QB ever, he's only been brought in for a few qb sneaks and since he was drafted he's been moved from 2nd choice to 3rd choice. Harsh to say he is a bust but he is definitely not living up to expectations.

Ridiculous notion. He, like most guys must be given time and a chance. Not living up to expectations? That's cos he hasn't played properly and Orton's been pretty solid for them. Talk about guilty without charge.

Ridiculous notion. He, like most guys must be given time and a chance. Not living up to expectations? That's cos he hasn't played properly and Orton's been pretty solid for them. Talk about guilty without charge.

It is true that he has not been giving a chance to prove himself but this is the "Not For Long" league not Florida .

He has a high contract around his neck and a competent QB ahead of him . There is significant doubt around the NFL about the high drafting of Tebow and in a confidential poll of GMs on condition of anonymity a significant number wouldnt take the risk on Tebow . On draft day there was no stalking horse following Tebow

Add in the fact that Bowlen (owner) may have buyers remorse ...McDaniels may not survive and that a new coach will likely do his own thing and there is an awful lot in play there

But as someone mentioned earlier

In the offseason Orton and Tebow will be on the roster at roughly $11m annually a piece ...that isnt going to happen in the long-term ....to reference see Cassel vs Brady .....Leinart vs Anderson ....Delhomme vs Moore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Did you read my last post? Young wasn't considered a good QB when he was traded to the 49ers because of his start. At that time the move by the 49ers was considered to be them backing up Montana. Young had 2 season in the NFL and stunk. But Walsh was willing to work with him as he saw potential. Walsh blamed the Bucs as an organisation for Youngs bad start. Again I say totally different to Tebow. Walsh gave Young a second lease of life and aren't we all glad he did as Young turned out to be fantastic.

But my main point Young was traded to be a backup after being drafted as a starter and that is the big difference with him and Tebow. But had the 49ers not traded for him who knows if he would have ever gotten that second chance.

In the offseason Orton and Tebow will be on the roster at roughly $11m annually a piece ...that isnt going to happen in the long-term ....to reference see Cassel vs Brady .....Leinart vs Anderson ....Delhomme vs Moore

Exactly this with Tebow. For him to start one of him or Orton has to leave Denver. And the next question will be if Denver realise its Orton they want to roll with who will gamble on Tebow as a starter and then who will let him warm a bench with that contract. Going to be a rocky road in Denver.

spiralism wrote: »
    He's since gone back to 2nd string, according to mcdaniels he got demoted for that game because qb trick option plays were not going to get us anywhere vs the colts (which was idiotic as our redzone offence killed us that game and tebow coulda been a breath of fresh air in the RZ)

Lot of people were high on him too...

some coaches/prominent NFL figures opinions of Tebow:

Steve Spagnuolo: “When that young man walked in our room at the combine, you talk about an impressive guy. I’d never bet against that guy. He’s got something about him. He walks in and just controls the room in a good way, not in a cocky way. We watched tape with him and as soon as he got the remote in his hand, he was into it and just rolled with it. You could tell he was loving it. He wasn’t putting on a show. He deeply, deeply has a passion for what he does. He believes in himself.’’

Mike Shanahan: “I like everything about him. If you can’t root for a guy like Tebow, you don’t like your kids. ... He’s kind of an off-the-chart guy. Those guys don’t come around all the time, especially with the success he’s had.’’

Mike Holmgren: “The problem is you’re rolling the dice a little bit more because of his mechanics. But I think he’s going to make some team real happy,’’

Mike Mc Carthy: “I think he’s a winner. I’m excited to see what he does in the NFL. He wins games. It’ll be interesting to see who has the opportunity to develop him. I’d love to have the opportunity.’’

Tony Dungy: "As a coach, I always like winners," Dungy said. "Tim Tebow doesn't have the classic throwing motion, he doesn't have the accuracy, maybe, right now that some people are looking for, but I think when he gets into a pro system that really stresses throwing the ball accurately, the big thing is he makes the people around him better. And he's won. ... I think he's going to be a great player in the NFL"

Jon Gruden: "No question. The hard part is, you have to isolate the option. That's why Tim Tebow is so interesting to me. He's like Brandon Jacobs playing quarterback. He's 250 pounds. He's the strongest human being who's ever played the position. Ever. He will kick the living **** out of a defensive lineman. He'll fight anybody. He is rare. Tebow is the kind of guy who could revolutionize the game. He's the 'wildcat' who can throw. Most of the teams that have the wildcat back there, it's Ronnie Brown, it's Jerious Norwood, it's whoever you want to say it is. This guy here is 250 pounds of concrete cyanide, man. And he can throw. He throws well enough at any level to play quarterback."
    "When he was a high school senior, they played Armwood in the state championship game. I have tape. He has an 80-yard touchdown run that put them in the lead. When it flipped around, and Armwood had the ball, what position do you think Tebow was playing? He was playing nose guard - and he disrupted about 10 plays. This guy is totally different. He's got Rich Gannon, Drew Brees, that kind of makeup as a team guy. What he said after the Ole Miss game, I said, 'That's my favorite football player I've ever seen in my whole life.' I said, 'I want Florida to win every game that kid plays from now on.'"

Brad Childress also reportedly wanted him... i doubt he still would have been there for us after the 1st round as the vikes and panthers, who both wanted QBs, didnt pick til the 2nd round.. buffalo also were interested in trading into the late 1st to pick him up

Listen i dont think people are really down on Tebow its just there is only going to be one $11m guy in Denver and it may not be Tebow

The point that flies over your head Mr Outlaw, is that some qbs need time on the bench in order to learn the pro game. I apologize that you had to take a crazily literally stance on my analogy. To everyone else: Is anyone else as surprised as me at Orton's transformation? He was great at Purdue but really nothing more than an adequate game manager in chicago. I thought the broncos were nuts for there trade. He has been a beast ever since. Lovie Smith must be scratching his head.

The point that flies over your head Mr Outlaw, is that some qbs need time on the bench in order to learn the pro game. I apologize that you had to take a crazily literally stance on my analogy. To everyone else: Is anyone else as surprised as me at Orton's transformation? He was great at Purdue but really nothing more than an adequate game manager in chicago. I thought the broncos were nuts for there trade. He has been a beast ever since. Lovie Smith must be scratching his head.

Thats why like Tallaght said on Young ....Tebow cos of circumstance may be out but maybe someone else' treasure 2-3 years hence cos he has the potential to be a beast

jacksonville anyone haha ....with the Rams in LA ...at least he might be QBing in Florida lol

as to Orton he really stepped up since Camp and funny enough of all the factors in Denver

Tebow, McDaniels, Moreno , Orton ...Orton probably has the greatest grip on his own future

Hold on second I took you literally? How else was anyone to read what you wrote. Read my responses again and re read what you wrote:
    It is only a recent trend of throwing the rookie qb into the fire. The time to draft a qb is when you already have one. Steve Young sat behind montana for years. A rookie needs time to adapt to the nfl. I dont know why josh had to trade so far up to get tebow but apparently he saw something. Tebow needs time on the bench to learn to release the ball quicker. Its his only real downfall. Rivers and rodgers gah time to adjust, tebow needs the same. If this kid can perfect his throwing mechanics who knows how great he can be. No one works harder.

Im sorry but that reads as a rookie sat behind Montana. Young had played 3 years of Pro football at the point he joined the 49ers. 1 in the USFL and 2 in the NFL. So no don't apologise for me reading you literally. Sure I agreed what you said about QBs needing time in fact my posts imply that, But my point is you cannot compare a 3 year starter who found his way to the bench and then some years later starts to become a great to the Tebow situation. The only thing the remotely share is bench warming. Tebow hasn't been given a first chance yet Young got a 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Kyle Orton is a product of a system that allows QBs to throw for huge yardage. I personally reckon he would go the way of Matt Cassell being taken out of McDaniels system-ie down.

Have to say it's hilarious that Orton and Brandon Llyold have both started to put up Pro Bowl numbers together when they were both Bears in 2008 and were really both failures. Shows just how important a system is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Kyle Orton is a product of a system that allows QBs to throw for huge yardage. I personally reckon he would go the way of Matt Cassell being taken out of McDaniels system-ie down.

Have to say it's hilarious that Orton and Brandon Llyold have both started to put up Pro Bowl numbers together when they were both Bears in 2008 and were really both failures. Shows just how important a system is.

I think that's a significant overstatement - Orton is clearly a starter of some quaility who even last year was one of Denver's best players, and he'd only just arrived. Cassel slotted into an offense he spent years backing-up.

We can talk systems all we like and sure, the fact Denver couldn't run for their life does effect the passing numbers but if the guy pulling the strings isn't good enough - on a team where their best WR was traded this year - then the Denver passing game would very likely be as anemic as the rest of the Broncos. Orton has shown in Denver that he's a better player than he got to show at the Bears (and he was behind much of the same O-line as the one that is going to get Cutler crippled this season, remember) and even if he has to move on whoever gets him will be very happy with their aquistion.

For those of you who think one of the denver quarterbacks has to go, which one and when? There is no way its tebow already. I think they have at least one more year together. I hope they are able to afford two more. Alot of it has to do with mcdaniels being there which unfortunatly Im not sure. It would be great to see what tebow can do in the future given the right teaching and patience. Pat is a smart owner so it is possible. Mcdaniels future is definetly linked to timmy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Syferus wrote: »
    I think that's a significant overstatement - Orton is clearly a starter of some quaility who even last year was one of Denver's best players, and he'd only just arrived. Cassel slotted into an offense he spent years backing-up.

We can talk systems all we like and sure, the fact Denver couldn't run for their life does effect the passing numbers but if the guy pulling the strings isn't good enough - on a team where their best WR was traded this year - then the Denver passing game would very likely be as anemic as the rest of the Broncos. Orton has shown in Denver that he's a better player than he got to show at the Bears (and he was behind much of the same O-line as the one that is going to get Cutler crippled this season, remember) and even if he has to move on whoever gets him will be very happy with their aquistion.

No the Bears O Line is way worse than even 2 years ago. Guys like Kreutz have aged badly. John Tait has retired. They have made terrible mistakes in FA and in the Draft at replacing the older guys that got them to a Super Bowl.

Without a shadow of a doubt the Bears have the worst O Line in the League.

I think there is blatantly something in the system when two players who looked poor to average at one franchise look like Pro Bowlers at another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

No the Bears O Line is way worse than even 2 years ago. Guys like Kreutz have aged badly. John Tait has retired. They have made terrible mistakes in FA and in the Draft at replacing the older guys that got them to a Super Bowl.

Without a shadow of a doubt the Bears have the worst O Line in the League.

I think there is blatantly something in the system when two players who looked poor to average at one franchise look like Pro Bowlers at another.

Orton's only 27 and while I'm not trying to say he's Drew Brees, players do grow and improve with time and it seems pretty clear Orton has developed since he arrived in Denver. To compare him to Cassel is a little short-sighted.

Syferus wrote: »
    Orton's only 27 and while I'm not trying to say he's Drew Brees, players do grow and improve with time and it seems pretty clear Orton has developed since he arrived in Denver. To compare him to Cassel is a little short-sighted.

Well Cassell is the guy McDaniels wanted. Indirectly, he's the reason Orton is a Bronco, so it's not that far off the mark.

For those of you who think one of the denver quarterbacks has to go, which one and when? There is no way its tebow already. I think they have at least one more year together. I hope they are able to afford two more. Alot of it has to do with mcdaniels being there which unfortunatly Im not sure. It would be great to see what tebow can do in the future given the right teaching and patience. Pat is a smart owner so it is possible. Mcdaniels future is definetly linked to timmy

As Tallaght outlined before no matter how well anyone is doing orton or Tebow...Denver will not spend $30m on quarterbacks next year. If McDaniels is gone ..Tebow no longer has his biggest fan ....they could extend Orton at present compensation and force Quinn to restructure.

If Mcdaniels survives the status quo might continue for maybe 1 year but the the Pats went through thias as well. Brady went down Cassell slotted in and done well and suddenly people thought they might be both in Foxboro...did it happen ...no cos Brady was on big money and Cassel was insisting on big money

This is even more set in stone as Orton , Quinn and Tebow are all contracted so something has to give . The other way out for Tebow could be if another franchise decides to trade for Orton and Denver with McD staying accepted a lot of picks and moved on with Tebow....but is he willing to risk the 2011 season on Tebow cos two big losing seasons and he wont be in Colorado

Would Bowlen the owner ok it ...doubtful ...he could look at it and say ...things are wrong here but my QB1 isnt one of the reasons

This is just plain wrong ...2nd in yardage, 6th in completions , 7th in percentage ...He is playing at an elite level , with no rushing game and very little defense

When Cutler had gaudy stats he has a rushing game usually in the top half of the league in denver

We can speculate all we want but the fact will be Orton will be in Denver next season as starter and he will have the last laugh and Tebow will be starting to earning $22m and Denver wont know what they have and it will get dealt with ...money always talks in this league

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

As Tallaght outlined before no matter how well anyone is doing orton or Tebow...Denver will not spend $30m on quarterbacks next year. If McDaniels is gone ..Tebow no longer has his biggest fan ....they could extend Orton at present compensation and force Quinn to restructure.

If Mcdaniels survives the status quo might continue for maybe 1 year but the the Pats went through thias as well. Brady went down Cassell slotted in and done well and suddenly people thought they might be both in Foxboro...did it happen ...no cos Brady was on big money and Cassel was insisting on big money

This is even more set in stone as Orton , Quinn and Tebow are all contracted so something has to give . The other way out for Tebow could be if another franchise decides to trade for Orton and Denver with McD staying accepted a lot of picks and moved on with Tebow....but is he willing to risk the 2011 season on Tebow cos two big losing seasons and he wont be in Colorado

Would Bowlen the owner ok it ...doubtful ...he could look at it and say ...things are wrong here but my QB1 isnt one of the reasons

Maybe but rumour has it that Gruden is mad to coach Tebow and a vacancy could well be open in the not too distant future...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

It isnt next year that the salery number for Tebow becomes too much for the Broncos to bear. It's a few years down the line (usually year 4 or 5 on a rookie contract). Id be very surprised if Tebow's number for next year is more than 1.5 guaranteed cash. His deal can rise to 33 million but that is tied into incentives worth somewhere in the region of 10 million if i remember the details right(playing time, playoff season etc)

The Broncos can afford to keep him for a few years before making judgements on him. I remember the Titans had a similar issue with Vince Young before last season. His cap number was manageable last season but it was the projected number for THIS year that made it crucial that they find out exactly where they stood with VY last year. That was why he got the start after their miserable opening to the year.

Rookie contacts, like all in the NFL, are not the same salary for each year. They rise in value the further into the contract you get and it is only the guaranteed money that really matters. Look at the majority of contracts and you see that they are laden with incentives related to playing time and performance(examples being % of snaps played and yards/touchdowns)

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    Maybe but rumour has it that Gruden is mad to coach Tebow and a vacancy could well be open in the not too distant future...

Thats interesting You say that....

for these reasons i think these jobs may be up for grabs

Vikes- Chilly on very short leash with an attractive coach in house in Frazier
    Cowboys- garrett may only get 8 games
    49ers- I dont think Singletary will survive
    Carolina- Fox contract is up and wont be renewed
    Jacksonville- Garrard may save Del Rio but its 50:50
    Chargers - Norv may not survive
    Bears - i think 2010 is it for Lovie
    Bengals- Marvin Lewis contract will not be renewed

Of these i think Gruden would rank in order

Boys - if he got assurance like Parcells got, big market ..big team ...big pay ...talented roster ...Gruden is brash suits him to a tee
    Vikes - Most Championship ready in a good market ...QB situation uncertain (Vick anyone)
    Chicago - No 3 market ...would have autonomy ....has Cutler and thinks he could tame him
    Denver - I think Gruden might suit Denver
    Chargers - Has Rivers but AJ Smith is an ahole
    49ers - Lots of issues but Yorks as owners would let him get on with it ..again will ahve to draft /bring in QB if Troy Smith doesnt get it done
    Bengals - Mike Brown is nice owner ....wont have Palmer in 2011
    Jags - again this one may not occur ...small market ..has done that already with Tampa ....
    Carolina - disastrous QB situation..small market ...will have no 1 pick which i would use on Andrew Luck esquire

Gruden would have advantages in Denver ...he will have 3 years to get it right so as long as he stabilised things like Shanahan (DC) he would have more rope to work on Tebow ...but i think Orton is a good starter so doesnt make sense to arrive like a missionary championing the youngster ...This is why his landing spot might be a smaller team with a restrucured deal where he would get to develop

a Carolina/Jags /kansas where he would be QB2 and develop ...it would be the best thing for Tim Tebow

Advertisement