Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm starting to tire of Android

Options
  • 09-11-2010 10:05pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to start such a thread but the way I feel about Android now I understand why people use Apple - i.e. its straight forward!!

I was using Pinky Desire ROM with A2SD for the last few months. All was going great but I had a low space notification for the last few weeks. Still not able to find out why!!! :mad: It's got so bad that I couldn't even send a text message today! WTF

So I decided to wipe and install a new ROM. Installed R9 WIP - MoDaCo Custom ROM with A2SD+ now I find after installing no more than 5 apps that I have less that 30MB of space left ffs :rolleyes:

Really at the end of my tether with Android, it may be my incompetence but having to delete apps to install more has me very annoyed!

Sorry for the rant but just needed to.

If anyone wants to offer suggestions be my guest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Sounds to me like a messed up ROM.

I'm using the stock on what came with my device and 30+ apps and not a hint of slow down.

Me happy :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

god's toy wrote: »
    Sounds to me like a messed up ROM.

I'm using the stock on what came with my device and 30+ apps and not a hint of slow down.

Me happy :)
    You could be right. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭fudgez

I ended up going back to an iPhone after 3 months with a desire all Android need is a better marketplace though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

fudgez wrote: »
    I ended up going back to an iPhone after 3 months with a desire all Android need is a better marketplace though..

I read somewhere thats on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I've been using a stock 2.2 for the last month or two, no problems. You do have to stop to think 'do I really need this app?'. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

JustinOval wrote: »
    I've been using a stock 2.2 for the last month or two, no problems. You do have to stop to think 'do I really need this app?'. ;)
    I'm trying to find a download now to use :(

I'm trying to find a download now to use :(

This is a stock 2.1, it should update to 2.2 OTA when you run it.

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/RUU_Bravo_HTC_WWE_1.21.405.2_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_126984_signed.exe

You might need a gold card, unless it's a Meteor handset.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=695667

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Sorry to start such a thread but the way I feel about Android now I understand why people use Apple - i.e. its straight forward!!

I was using Pinky Desire ROM with A2SD for the last few months. All was going great but I had a low space notification for the last few weeks. Still not able to find out why!!! :mad: It's got so bad that I couldn't even send a text message today! WTF

So I decided to wipe and install a new ROM. Installed R9 WIP - MoDaCo Custom ROM with A2SD+ now I find after installing no more than 5 apps that I have less that 30MB of space left ffs :rolleyes:

Really at the end of my tether with Android, it may be my incompetence but having to delete apps to install more has me very annoyed!

Sorry for the rant but just needed to.

If anyone wants to offer suggestions be my guest.

Lol how much internal memory u got? :) got tons of apps on and still didnt come to low storage point :) I think you messed something up.

Lol how much internal memory u got? :) got tons of apps on and still didnt come to low storage point :) I think you messed something up.
    It's looking like I messed something the first a download I used was taken straight from Modaco site. I tried then baking my own one and that was pretty much the same.

I was left with just under 30MB after the second installation.

What ROM are you using?

Im using MIUI ROM. Maybe you got some pictures or music in your internal memory? How much internal memory u got?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

Speaking of being sick of android, when the hell are paid for apps going to be available ? :mad:

what? they have been available for about a month or longer now

Im using MIUI ROM. Maybe you got some pictures or music in your internal memory? How much internal memory u got?
    I did a restore to my Pinky Desire rom and now have 10.59MB left :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I'm in a similar place atm with my Desire, awful battery and limited local space.

Idk man :) change a rom or something :) all fine here

montane wrote: »
    Speaking of being sick of android, when the hell are paid for apps going to be available ? :mad:

Seriously?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭montane

Seriously?

Thanks, that went under the radar. Paid for apps, I take it all back :D

montane wrote: »
    Seriously Really?

Fixed :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭breeno

I don't mean to sound smart but it sounds like something is going wrong if you only have that kind of space after a clean install. I'm currently using defrost 6.0 rom and just counted and have 135 apps installed (didn't think I had anywhere near that!) and still have 60mb left on the phone. Are you doing a full wipe prior to installation? Also, it might be worth your while formatting your sd card and repartitioning it if your having problems with apps 2 sd?

edit to say most of my apps are on sd obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

I do mean to sound smart (however, since I'm not, I usually fail) but to me it sounds like you did way too much tinkering with a very highly evolved piece of technology with a very low level of technological know how. I mean the fact that each time you install a new ROM, you end up with even less memory (as far as I read the situation) tells its own damning story.

Just a small rule of thumb: If you don't know what you're doing then either a) don't do it or b) if you do do it, don't come here *complaining when you mess it up...

[size=-2]*by all means when you mess up and want help come here and ask for it, but don't come here complaining when you mess up (intentionally or not) a technology you don't fully understand...[/size]

• Advertisement

Baz_ wrote: »
    I do mean to sound smart (however, since I'm not, I usually fail) but to me it sounds like you did way too much tinkering with a very highly evolved piece of technology with a very low level of technological know how. I mean the fact that each time you install a new ROM, you end up with even less memory (as far as I read the situation) tells its own damning story.

Just a small rule of thumb: If you don't know what you're doing then either a) don't do it or b) if you do do it, don't come here *complaining when you mess it up...

[size=-2]*by all means when you mess up and want help come here and ask for it, but don't come here complaining when you mess up (intentionally or not) a technology you don't fully understand...[/size]
    I take your criticism on board Baz and yes you failed at trying not to sound like a smart ass ;)

I installed the ROM via ROM manager and I selected clear data/cache option before the install so I assumed this was wiping everything but a fresh install. Obviously it wasn't :o:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Try downloading cache cleaner. I run it every night and last night it cleared 16mb from my internal memory.

I'm running LeeDroid and have about 50 apps installed including a big sat nav app and have about 70mb free. Took me a while to get it going because I didn't have the SD card formatted the correct way for A2SD to work right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ah another complaint about Android that has nothing to do with Android! :D

Low memory warning means your taking up too much of your internal memory, either your phone doesn't have enough, you have an inefficient ROM or you actually have the device over loaded with too many apps.

Non of which are down to Android.

Edit: I started this thread as a rant at Android and all comments are welcome even those I don't agree with.

However, now I am just looking for YOUR help. I want to install a new ROM so what do I need to do?!!!!

Will I need to reformat my sd card?

Restore to factory settings before I install ROM?

So it's my fault there is so little memory on the phone? Nothing to do with the amount supplied from day one?

Sorry :) your the only one with the problem here :) You did something wrong obviously.

Sorry :) your the only one with the problem here :) You did something wrong obviously.
    Fair enough. Thanks for the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

However, now I am just looking for YOUR help. I want to install a new ROM so what do I need to do?!!!!

Leedroid wiki is good start

http://leedroid.protogenlabs.com/wiki/the-basics-of-flashing-a-rom

and for partioning your sd card

http://leedroid.protogenlabs.com/wiki/partitioning-your-sd-card-ready-for-a2sd

and

http://leedroid.protogenlabs.com/wiki/do-i-need-to-wipe-before-flashing-a-new-rom

PM if you need help with the guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

does partyinmygaff still knock around these parts? Or indeed anyone who i might get in touch with to root a phone, or is that frowned upon on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

does partyinmygaff still knock around these parts? Or indeed anyone who i might get in touch with to root a phone, or is that frowned upon on boards?

Ah sure don't worry about it, just name and shame a dude before finding out whether it's frowned upon or not...

But seriously, as long as it's your phone why would it be frowned upon? Why should we care if you wanted to smash your phone up, never mind root it, or maybe I'm missing something...

But if its not your phone, then that would be just frowned upon generally, never mind on boards.ie...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Android is very straight forward for me. I have a desire and yes the internal memory and lack of apps you can install to the SD card sucks, but the problem there is mostly with the phone and not the operating system. And no operating system is ever going to be straight forward if you start messing around with custom roms.

Advertisement