Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm starting to tire of Android

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Honestly, I still don't know why people are still talking up rooting and installing another rom on your android. The advantages are so small for the majority of people, and hardly any are required for the same majority.

The first time I got my hands on a hero, I rooted it and installed a rom for a few months, then changed to another rom, and now it's back on to the stock rom - as you said Keano, the ease of use is a huge factor in these mobile operating systems and Apple really nailed it when they got the ipod touch, iphone etc.

Stock android on it's own is very effective and straight forward to use - I don't think custom roms aim for that, they tend to go for functionality specifically for power users, and typically at the cost of the ease of use.

My desire hasn't been modified at all except official updates. I only install apps that are of any use, and I check through when I'm bored and get rid of things I don't need.

I've still got the default 4gig memory card, and I've had very little troubles at all with the phone.

The only thing I'd like is more options to customise the look and feel of the phone, but otherwise it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Stock 2.2 is flawless afaic

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

Saadyst wrote: »
    The only thing I'd like is more options to customise the look and feel of the phone, but otherwise it's great.

There is a reason to root the phone :p try leedroid ROM very stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Android is very straight forward for me. I have a desire and yes the internal memory and lack of apps you can install to the SD card sucks, but the problem there is mostly with the App Developers and not the operating system. And no operating system is ever going to be straight forward if you start messing around with custom roms.

FYP.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

does partyinmygaff still knock around these parts? Or indeed anyone who i might get in touch with to root a phone, or is that frowned upon on boards?

He does be around but I know he is a bit busy theses times. Drop him a PM and he'll not doubt get in touch when he can.
    Baz_ wrote: »
    Ah sure don't worry about it, just name and shame a dude before finding out whether it's frowned upon or not...

But seriously, as long as it's your phone why would it be frowned upon? Why should we care if you wanted to smash your phone up, never mind root it, or maybe I'm missing something...

But if its not your phone, then that would be just frowned upon generally, never mind on boards.ie...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

He does be around but I know he is a bit busy theses times. Drop him a PM and he'll not doubt get in touch when he can.

:rolleyes:

Cheers Keano, searched for him last night but his user name didnt seem to exist. Will try again. I haven't the faintest why this other dude above is giving out about as im just writing about something that was public and on a public forum a few weeks back

Baz_ wrote: »
    Ah sure don't worry about it, just name and shame a dude before finding out whether it's frowned upon or not...

But seriously, as long as it's your phone why would it be frowned upon? Why should we care if you wanted to smash your phone up, never mind root it, or maybe I'm missing something...

But if its not your phone, then that would be just frowned upon generally, never mind on boards.ie...

bit early for liquor? It could be seen as being overtly commercial on a discussion board and that's why im asking. Im not on here much.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    There is a reason to root the phone :p try leedroid ROM very stable.

Although I would like to be able to use different skins / themes on my phone, I'm not going to do it if it's going to affect the functionality... stock rom 2.2 at the moment for me is perfect - fast, efficient, user friendly, well supported and it works. If a rom comes along that will be better in all these aspects, I'm not against trying it.

But so far nothing. Quite disappointing to be honest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

hobochris wrote: »
    FYP.

If you had a phone with even 1.5gb of internal storage then transferring apps to the sd card wouldn't matter. I'd expect to see future Android phone with better internal storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Really at the end of my tether with Android

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

Cheers Keano, searched for him last night but his user name didnt seem to exist. Will try again. I haven't the faintest why this other dude above is giving out about as im just writing about something that was public and on a public forum a few weeks back

think his name is partyatmygaff rather than partyinmygaff, might help you find the username for pm!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

At OP, did you create a partition on your SD card for a2sd. Also, I'm not sure about rom manager tbh, better off booting into recovery and wiping manually before flashing a new rom.

Try MIUI rom, its superb. I'm getting 193 MB internal memory after applying s off. Let me know if you need any advice.

eoferrall wrote: »
    think his name is partyatmygaff rather than partyinmygaff, might help you find the username for pm!;)

thats gas! thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Saadyst wrote: »
    Honestly, I still don't know why people are still talking up rooting and installing another rom on your android. The advantages are so small for the majority of people, and hardly any are required for the same majority.

Sense HD on the original desire with themes, 3 second boot etc does it for me - now if only they would get the camera working :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

yeah the custom skins by HTC is something i didnt expect. Kinda removes any need to actually go on xda to look for diff themes :) just when your bored switch to a new one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

If anyone wants to offer suggestions be my guest.
    Buy a bigger SD card or uninstalling apps you never use?

My SGS has over 5GBs left between the internal and external cards with plenty of music and a few movies, storage is cheap! :D

Advertisement