Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Weather Thread!

Options
  • 25-10-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

I know, I know but from today its two months to go. With the October long weekend now over get ready for the ads, the music, etc.

I reckon we might as well get in on the act too - and in fairness over at www.theweatheroutlook.com they've had a page on Christmas weather since the 1st of September!

So feel free to post here your predictions, your recollections of Christmas weather past, etc, etc - focusing in a most unbalanced way on snow of course......

To kick things off, this is what the latter website is currently saying about the UK's weather Christmas weather:-

Our fifth Christmas 2010 forecast update suggests a reduced chance of snow falling on Christmas day across Britain. Chances overall are now close to or just higher than normal. At the moment we think the most likely outcome is for rather cold and wet weather during the Christmas holiday, with an increasing risk of sleet or snow further north and over higher ground.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day
    North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 20% - 30% (risk increases to 30% further north)
    South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 10% - 25% (risk increases to 25% further east)

Forecast issued
    Update 5, 24/10/2010

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I think it'll be on the cool side in the north of the country, while it will be milder and wet further south. Any snow will be confined to Scotland and high ground in the north of England:(

Taking a trip down memory lane to last Christmas, the most remarkable thing about it, aside from the rare phenomenon of freezing rain in Ireland, was how many people were on the weather forum during the morning. That's what i call dedication! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Christmas morning will be wet, breezy and around 11°C as we lie in the warm sector of an average winter depression. Not bad for taking the kids out on the new bikes Santa's bringing them, though the lack of mudguards could make their mother fairly ratty when they come back into the house!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Snow for me in donegal on christmas day again while the rest of yas down south get your cars washed by mother nature :P

In all seriousness though I think predicting weather for a particular day 60 days from now is pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

I think it'll be on the cool side in the north of the country, while it will be milder and wet further south. Any snow will be confined to Scotland and high ground in the north of England:(

Taking a trip down memory lane to last Christmas, the most remarkable thing about it, aside from the rare phenomenon of freezing rain in Ireland, was how many people were on the weather forum during the morning. That's what i call dedication! ;)

rem so well... was confused at the time to see rain falling when it was minus 1 outside... hopefully this christmas we'll get the real white stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Pangea wrote: »
    In all seriousness though I think predicting weather for a particular day 60 days from now is pure nonsense.

Absolutely, buts its great fun all the same! As a complete Christmas freak, I am predicting snow - though this prediction is based solely on my desire for same....Its a bit like Santa himself, it'll only come if you believe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I predict a cool, damp, non-specific lack of any particular weather with gentle variable 20mph winds on Christmas morning, moving to heavy showers and prolonged rain after lunchtime with 35-35mph winds. Snow showers on the mountain tops, but only sleet on high ground otherwise.
    3-6 degrees, warming slightly throughout the day.
    Stephen's day to start wet and then clear to cold and windy, almost a touch of frost in sheltered areas.

I'm not expecting any wonderful weather :(

Absolutely, buts its great fun all the same! As a complete Christmas freak, I am predicting snow - though this prediction is based solely on my desire for same....Its a bit like Santa himself, it'll only come if you believe!
    Ok then , no harm in a bit of fun :D

Well while the rest of you are getting all excited by storms, I'm sticking with my one true love and focussing on the chances, if any, of snow this winter / Christmas (don't like the way the LR forecasts are going...)

Metcheck have a nifty gimmick on their website allowing you to see the chances of a White Christmas in your locality - Cork is currently 30%!

See http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/whitechristmas.asp

And yes, I know that's probably a default percentage. And yes, I know no one knows this far our out, etc, etc. Christmas is not a time for actuarial accuracy people!

www.theweatheroutlook.com, having issued 5 Christmas forecasts from September to mid October, have not updated since surprisingly. I will update when they do.

Going on past years the BBC and Netweather will start forecasts soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

As i awaken to the self inflicted internal jackhammer which insists on spoiling my christmas morning,i slowly open my bloodshot eyes with great difficulty whilst desperately reaching for the curtain as if to support one half of my dehydrated body.i pause for a brief moment to visualise what my heart truly desires upon separating the cotton fabric that perhaps obscures the minds view of my winter paradise. My beating chest begins to palpitate with the glorious thought of nature's white wonder greeting my oh so tiresome orbs. This is it,the morning that has hid for what seemed like eternity, has finally arrived. I proceed to honour my own curiosity and in doing so i slowly begin to reveal what mother nature has so willingly presented before me,as if i were a king. My pupils slowly adjust to a bright that almost blinds. And so as a joyful teardrop creates a single path down my face,i begin to acknowledge my wonderous gift. Gazing with openmouth at a world so snowy, so cold,so brilliant you'd swear time itself had not escaped its deadly grip. Thats my thoughts this christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Red.
    Well said

Maybe you should start using my avatar!

• Advertisement

As i awaken to the self inflicted internal jackhammer which insists on spoiling my christmas morning,i slowly open my bloodshot eyes with great difficulty whilst desperately reaching for the curtain as if to support one half of my dehydrated body.i pause for a brief moment to visualise what my heart truly desires upon separating the cotton fabric that perhaps obscures the minds view of my winter paradise. My beating chest begins to palpitate with the glorious thought of nature's white wonder greeting my oh so tiresome orbs. This is it,the morning that has hid for what seemed like eternity, has finally arrived. I proceed to honour my own curiosity and in doing so i slowly begin to reveal what mother nature has so willingly presented before me,as if i were a king. My pupils slowly adjust to a bright that almost blinds. And so as a joyful teardrop creates a single path down my face,i begin to acknowledge my wonderous gift. Gazing with openmouth at a world so snowy, so cold,so brilliant you'd swear time itself had not escaped its deadly grip. Thats my thoughts this christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

was that the encore? :p

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    was that the encore? :p
    oops that wasn't suppose to happen. I using the mobile phone. Bored at work. So just thought i share that with ye all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Respect to this thread

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Last Christmas was my first White Christmas in all my years on earth (quite a few! :D) It was truly magical. I stayed in my brother's house for Christmas week and he lives in the countryside. The area has its own microclimate - the town will usually get rain or sleet and his area will usually get the white stuff.

Anyway I drove out to his house on Christmas Eve. When I came off the main road, I had to drive 5mph as the roads were lethal. The trees in his garden were covered in that "crystalline frost" (don't know what you call it) that you see in screensavers! The garden and surrounding fields were blanketed in snow and frost.

A week earlier we made a 6 foot snowman (with loads of snow to spare!) and he was still there on Christmas Day - in fact he lasted a few weeks, but was malnourished by the end of it! :)

On Christmas Day, it snowed - proper heavy snow, with not a hint of rain or sleet. It was that dry, pellet snow that I thought only existed in fairytales! (Actually my Mum told me years ago she visited the US and she told me about this dry snow and I thought she was making it up! Snow is wet, or so I thought!)

I will never forget sitting inside on Christmas Day, looking through the Christmas tree at the snow falling outside. I had waited my entire life for a White Christmas and my wish was granted. :D

(If we are to get a non-descript Christmas this year, I dont think I can bear it. I think I will die inside, if it rains :()

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

It will be a white Christmas this year.

I must say the image of the family eating christmas dinner last year and in the background through the window all you could see was the snow hammering down, a truly wonderful sight to be cherished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

snow ghost wrote: »
    It will be a white Christmas this year.

If we say it often enough, it will happen!!!

redsunset wrote: »

Officially the most highbrow thread now! - well done Redsunset. The other threads are for philistines!

Pangea wrote: »
    I must say the image of the family eating christmas dinner last year and in the background through the window all you could see was the snow hammering down, a truly wonderful sight to be cherished.

Had that pleasure in '04 in Cork. Snow melted on the following day but it bucketed down throughout dinner on Christmas day. We spent most of the meal looking out the window!

• Advertisement

The media will be chattering on December 26th about it being the first time in living memory that we have had two - yes TWO - White Christmases in a row. :eek:

They will go off on one exagerating about it being the new mini-ice age and that we'll be holding ice fairs on the Shannon :rolleyes: but it will be a White Christmas and the difference this year is that it will be a total island-wide White Out and Everyone will get a few feet of it! ;)

Except for Coleraine, they'll just get a bit of rainy-drizzle that'll wash away the last tiny piece of white frost that was clinging onto a square metre of grass in the middle of the town. :pac:

Officially the most highbrow thread now! - well done Redsunset. The other threads are for philistines!

Cheers,i saw the thread title and closed my eyes and really imagined how i would be feeling christmas morning and what i'd like to see outside, i wrote it down on the back of an envelope first.and yes i do like a good drink every christmas eve,i don't bother christmas day.

Had that pleasure in '04 in Cork. Snow melted on the following day but it bucketed down throughout dinner on Christmas day. We spent most of the meal looking out the window!

Yes I remember that had white christmas day here aswell in 04.
    95 Christmas eve and christmas day was epic, There was so much snow here. Lasted a good while too.

Despite the heading, this update (below) on www.theweatheroutlook.com isn't great for us in ireland. Miles away yet though so no one really has an idea.

Out of curiousity, when does Christmas day start appearing in FI charts?

Christmas 2010: Snow risk above average

Welcome to our dedicated Christmas 2010 weather forecast page. This will update regularly during the run up to Christmas from September 1st and will take into account the weather patterns which develop during the autumn.

Forecast headline
    Our sixth Christmas 2010 forecast update suggests a slightly increased chance of snow falling on Christmas day across Britain. Chances overall are now higher than average. At the moment we think the most likely outcome is for rather cold and unsettled spell of weather during the Christmas holiday, with an increasing risk of sleet or snow further north and over higher ground.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas DayNorth of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 25% - 35% (risk increases to 30% further north)
    South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15% - 25% (risk increases to 25% further east)

Forecast issued
    Update 1, 01/09/2010
    Update 2, 06/09/2010
    Update 3, 20/09/2010
    Update 4, 03/10/2010
    Update 5, 24/10/2010
    Update 6, 07/11/2010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Mum just told me that the Donegal postman has confirmed a white Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

eskimocat wrote: »
    Mum just told me that the Donegal postman has confirmed a white Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
    Looks like MT agrees He's just posted this:- Long-range forecast summary

I will be posting a more detailed long-range forecast on a thread that was set up for winter discussion. But as of today, I wanted to mention that my outlook will be calling for significant cold spells in December and early January with likely above normal snowfall for Ireland in that part of the winter. Then it may turn considerably milder for a while before turning back to colder than average in February. More details on that over the weekend when I get a chance to post (have been fighting computer virus problems today). frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

all i want for Christmas is a white Christmas.....

never seen one in my many years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

jambofc wrote: »

+ 1 I too would love a white Christmas, although last year was pretty white, alot of it was ice, so I am specifically requesting proper snowman snow and plenty off it from Santa this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I was thinking of something we can organise for the 25th of November,obviously exactly 1 month before the day.That at around,say,3pm,everyone reading this thread will stop what they are doing close their eyes and wish for a White Christmas:).Get your family,friends and work mates in on it too as 25th Nov is a Thursday.The 3pm time is for when (i think) people would be sitting down to Christmas Dinner.So on that date we can all collectively wish that exactly a month from then we will be sitting down to Christmas Dinner watching snow falling:).
    Who's up for it??

• Advertisement

jambofc wrote: »

Were you out of the country for the 1919 one Jambofc?

Advertisement