Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Christmas Weather Thread!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

eskimocat wrote: »
    Mum just told me that the Donegal postman has confirmed a white Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I like!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Aiel wrote: »
    I was thinking of something we can organise for the 25th of November,obviously exactly 1 month before the day.That at around,say,3pm,everyone reading this thread will stop what they are doing close their eyes and wish for a White Christmas:).Get your family,friends and work mates in on it too as 25th Nov is a Thursday.The 3pm time is for when (i think) people would be sitting down to Christmas Dinner.So on that date we can all collectively wish that exactly a month from then we will be sitting down to Christmas Dinner watching snow falling:).
    Who's up for it??

I'm up for it Aiel, the power of positive snow thinking sounds good to me!

One caveat, if we get a blizzard I'll start worrying that you could be the new 'Carrie'. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

From MT's winter forecast just published...

"Predicting temperatures to average 1.5 to 2.0 C below normal in December and some stretches possibly sub-freezing, with snowfall likely before Christmas making for a white Christmas for many. ...."

Time for a little Bing Crosby ladies and gentlemen........

Latest update on TWO goes with the same theme as other threads here, ie. long period of cold ahead, maybe up until the big day......

Christmas 2010: Snow risk above average
    Christmas weather forecast introduction

Welcome to our dedicated Christmas 2010 weather forecast page. This will update regularly during the run up to Christmas from September 1st and will take into account the weather patterns which develop during the autumn.

Forecast headline
    Our seventh Christmas 2010 forecast update suggests an increased chance of snow falling on Christmas day across Britain. Chances overall are now higher than average. At the time of issue the medium range forecasts are suggesting a cold pattern which can take a long time to break down. The probability is that even if it becomes established in late November, it will break down during the first half of December, however, cold air is likely to remain close to Britain, bringing an increased risk of snow during the Xmas period.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day
    North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 35% - 40% (risk increases to 40% further east)
    South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 20% - 35% (risk increases to 35% further east)

Netweather have indicated their Christmas page will go on line in the next couple of days.

Metcheck still have Cork/Dublin/Belfast at 30% chance.

Most importantly, MT is saying its in the bag (I paraphrase ever so slightly!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

From MT's winter forecast just published...

"Predicting temperatures to average 1.5 to 2.0 C below normal in December and some stretches possibly sub-freezing, with snowfall likely before Christmas making for a white Christmas for many. ...."

Time for a little Bing Crosby ladies and gentlemen........

A little bit early but . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Our first child is due Christmas day.. I'd love to show the little one the snow out the window as part of my first Daddy duties :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Trotter wrote: »
    Our first child is due Christmas day.. I'd love to show the little one the snow out the window as part of my first Daddy duties :)

Thats great news :) what a welcome to the world that would be. Another weather forum baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

With just over a month to go, Netweather have now joined the party...

Their first Christmas 2010 weather forecast is below:-

Christmas 2010 - Dreaming of a white Xmas? - Update 1, 22nd November

So here we go - the first Christmas forecast for 2010.. With a cold spell and snow around this week, the hype surrounding a possible white Christmas is sure to increase, but is it likely to happen?

Click to view full size
    cfsxmas1.png
    If you've read the winter forecast then you'll know that we're expecting a cold December this year, so that's a definite tick in the first box!

Looking at the chart for Christmas day on the right hand side from the Climate Forecast System (you can view these in NW Extra), you can see the cold air (blue colours) is not too far away from the British Isles at all so although a green Xmas would be the outcome if this chart mirrored the outcome of the big day, it's the overall trend we need to watch, and there's plenty to be positive about on that front.

Im summary then, it's early days yet and there are sure to be a lot of twists and turns along the way, but as we stand today there's every reason to be upbeat about the chance of a White Xmas this year. Give Santa alongside a shake to find out the current chance of snow in your area.

BTW their accompanying "Shaking Santa" forecast gives the ROI a 25% chance....

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Just a reminder for people to remember this Thursday at 3pm everyone here is to stop what their doing,close their eyes and wish for snow exactly a month later:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Paddy Power latest betting on White Christmas.

Dublin 10/3

Cork 5/1

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

irish1967 wrote: »
    Paddy Power latest betting on White Christmas.

Dublin 10/3

Cork 5/1

It seems like they haven't changed in the last couple of days, I've put in 15 EUR on Dublin just for fun. Just a note, the bet requires that a snowfall of at least 1mm is recorded at the airport on the 25th, it's not about a white cover on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well, i'm afraid it's not looking good for most of us to have a white Christmas. :(

Published at 10:00, 29 November

(Next update at 10:00, 6 December)

Written by Peter Gibbs
    Summary
    Winter arrives, but when will it leave?

Last week's prediction of a classic cold snap certainly came true, with snow piling up across the northeastern parts of the UK and new November lowest temperature records being set in Wales and Northern Ireland.

The only real question for this outlook is how long the wintry weather can hold out against milder air moving in from the west. Unfortunately, that's the most difficult question to answer.

Monday 29 November 2010 to Sunday 5 December 2010
    Snow becomes more widespread

Snow cover is likely to be more widespread by the end of the week. This means that once the biting easterly winds die down by the weekend, overnight temperatures are likely to fall to exceptionally low levels once again under clearing skies.

Still, the more settled weather over the weekend should mean plenty of opportunity to play in the snow, and for the road and rail crews to catch up.

Monday 6 December 2010 to Sunday 12 December 2010
    A wintry mix looks likely

Into the new week, it will remain very cold for many with further snow showers likely, especially around some coastal areas, and widespread overnight frosts.

There is a chance that more persistent rain, sleet and snow may try to spread into the southern half of the UK for a time, making it slightly less cold here.

Monday 13 December 2010 to Sunday 26 December 2010
    Through to Christmas

Confidence becomes much lower as we look further ahead into the Christmas week.

There is a signal that the severity of the cold spell will ease, although with temperatures still a little below normal. This suggests there is still scope for some snow and frost, but it may be more marginal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I hope it is a very mild wet Christmas, my friend works for the council and has been drafted in to grit the roads on Christmas day if there is ice and snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Well, i'm afraid it's not looking good for most of us to have a white Christmas. :(

Published at 10:00, 29 November

(Next update at 10:00, 6 December)

Written by Peter Gibbs
    Summary
    Winter arrives, but when will it leave?

Last week's prediction of a classic cold snap certainly came true, with snow piling up across the northeastern parts of the UK and new November lowest temperature records being set in Wales and Northern Ireland.

The only real question for this outlook is how long the wintry weather can hold out against milder air moving in from the west. Unfortunately, that's the most difficult question to answer.

Monday 29 November 2010 to Sunday 5 December 2010
    Snow becomes more widespread

Snow cover is likely to be more widespread by the end of the week. This means that once the biting easterly winds die down by the weekend, overnight temperatures are likely to fall to exceptionally low levels once again under clearing skies.

Still, the more settled weather over the weekend should mean plenty of opportunity to play in the snow, and for the road and rail crews to catch up.

Monday 6 December 2010 to Sunday 12 December 2010
    A wintry mix looks likely

Into the new week, it will remain very cold for many with further snow showers likely, especially around some coastal areas, and widespread overnight frosts.

There is a chance that more persistent rain, sleet and snow may try to spread into the southern half of the UK for a time, making it slightly less cold here.

Monday 13 December 2010 to Sunday 26 December 2010
    Through to Christmas

Confidence becomes much lower as we look further ahead into the Christmas week.

There is a signal that the severity of the cold spell will ease, although with temperatures still a little below normal. This suggests there is still scope for some snow and frost, but it may be more marginal.

Its a long way off, I wouldnt show that sad face just yet, It could get a lot colder than what we had the past week

Well on foot of MT's forecast this morning I'm very optimistic of a White Christmas.....

For the record, this is what Netweather and TWO are saying....

Netweather (11/12/2010):-

Less than two weeks to go until the big day and there's a cold spell about to get underway. No wonder the hype about a possible white Christmas is starting to build!

Click to view full size
    ensxmas1.png
    The talk over the past week has been the cold spell due to start this week, and the question we've been asking on each update is whether or not it will last right through until Christmas, and tonight's update is no different.

We're now into range of the medium range forecasting models, so alongside we have a chart from the GEFS (global ensemble forecast system), and as you can see it's a near miss for the big day with the cold air just squeezed away to the north.

This is typical of a lot of the forecast model output currently, but Christmas day still being a long way off there is still a lot of uncertainty in the outcome - in fact there's a lot of uncertainty even at the closer range right now. With this in mind the white Christmas risk for many parts of the country is just a touch lower this evening than in the previous update, but it's still all to play for!

Give Santa alongside a shake to find out the chance of snow in your part of the country.

(When you shake Santa you a get 30% for us....)

TWO meanwhile say on 9/12/2010...

Forecast headline
    Our ninth Christmas 2010 forecast update suggests an increased chance of snow falling on Christmas day across Britain. Chances overall are now notably higher than average, and we think there is a good chance of cold weather persisting for much of the second half of December.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day
    North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 40% - 50% (risk increases to 50% further east)
    South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 30% - 40% (risk increases to 40% further east)

As I said, the chances seem to gone higher again on current model predictions......

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

What is likelihood for the 30th/31st of December in South East??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

What is likelihood for the 30th/31st of December in South East??

you're guess is a good as anyones. no one can tell you at this stage what the weather will be like in two weeks time.

I see some of the models are beginning to cover Christmas day (though probably inaccurately at this stage):-

ECMF (I can't paste this) is at

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=240&mode=1&map=0&archive=0

GEM is

gem-0-240.png

The GEM is the better looking of those for cold.

I get the impression none of the serious forecasters are happy to go beyond 23 December at present. Hopefully by Friday they might make a stab at a Christmas Eve / Christmas Day forecast? (though MT is tantalisingly talking of a possible Christmas Eve storm which he thinks might be snow rather than rain!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Just after watching the weather on RTE1, they're not saying much at all about what is coming :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Just after watching the weather on RTE1, they're not saying much at all about what is coming :confused:

Its going to be a nowcast situation with Met Eireann same as the last cold snap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

anyone know whether it will snow this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Its going to be a nowcast situation with Met Eireann same as the last cold snap
    Typical :rolleyes:

scarymoon1 wrote: »
    anyone know whether it will snow this weekend?

I think there may be some passing references to this on other, non-christmas related, threads!

Well, 3 days to go. What do those in the know say? Clearly its going to be a white christmas in terms of snow lying for most of us (and yes, for once, that includes us down here still luxuriating in our dumping last weekend which has melted not a jot) - but will it be a technically correct white christmas, ie. snow falling on the 25th?.......

Advertisement