Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 taxi drivers commit suicide in the last year.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Big Mouth wrote: »
    Hopefully don't sound too harsh here but they were alright when they were earning 1,500 - 2000 grand on a weekend.

Times are hard for everyone, its not the most stressful job in the world and I would think pays fairly well considering its a no skills / qualifications job.

for fuckssake.... pretty apt moniker.

Scambuster wrote: »
    Big shwing. 1000 people have killed themselves in the last two years. How many IT workers are in there? Who cares.

i do.

you don't. obviously.

Scambuster wrote: »
    That is another side of it. There are quite a few of them where the taxi thing is just a front.

really?? links? proof?

i'm not a taxi driver btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saadyst wrote: »
    I don't know, it's a tough one alright.

On the one hand, I don't think they should put a cap on the number of taxi licences that can be issued - then it just becomes first come, first served, which is unfair for any newcomers to the business. Also the increased competition should result in a drop in prices, or increased service, quality etc.

On the other, obviously there's way too many taxis for a reliable income to be made for some - but I don't think that it is the government's job to step in and start subsidising or anything of that nature.

The deregulation is still relatively new, it will take a good few years for the industry to fluctuate and find it's level. Pretty much like any other industry has had to do .

Probably going off topic, but the Taxi industry has long lost the public support. Of course nobody wants to see any individual for whatever reason end up in a situation where they commit suicide. That is tragic and should be avoided. However on the broader front, there isn't another service sector in the country that manages to get as much attention as the Taxi business. It does seem patently obvious to most that the Taxi industry has failed to respond to an open market operating environment. Low bar and relative easy entry requirements does increase the competitive environment, but that is the reality for the vast majority of companies/self employed throughout the country. We don't hear much from plasterers, plumbers, painters, newsagents, fastfood operators etc complaining about open market business environment? The fact that an increasing number of new entrants is proof that there are opportunities still to be had? No doubt some Taxi drivers simply get on and do their job as best they can within the new environment. Others might prefer to moan and protest in the hope that the situation will be dramatically reversed, are in denial. From what I see, the Regulator is probably trying to draw a line of minimum standards that otherwise would not exist. But if drivers refuse to carry basic essentials like child seats, fire extinguishers etc, well I suppose life moves with/out Fred Flinstone cabs.

When I take a taxi now, I wait for a clean and well presented type, the driver is usually clued in, and avoid the usual 'OK Bud-whinger' in the ubiquitous but smelly 94 D Jap Crap clapped out alternative.

no, one guy rents a taxi for 3 days. typically a weekend. 250e for car,plate,insurance,tank of juice. he drives it for 14 hours,sublets it to his buddy,14 hours later he sublets to his.... caris running all weekend,

its a disgrace. not only the AA's but the irish have a lot to answer for-esp the fookers that hang around shopping centres...also firemen,garda,and shift workers have taxi's in their spare time.

• Advertisement

Sure they are jumping off the cliff like lemmings near to where I live.:D

suicides funny is it ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

And that's funny how :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Are you egging them on?? Not fcuking funny :mad:

phasers wrote: »
    There needs to be stricter testing on the old taxi license, at this stage and old Joe can get one. I think only people with an encyclopedic knowledge of the city and as decent car should be allowed drive taxis..

You mean similar to the rules coming in that the drivers are giving out about?

thebullkf wrote: »
    its a disgrace. not only the AA's but the irish have a lot to answer for-esp the fookers that hang around shopping centres...also firemen,garda,and shift workers have taxi's in their spare time.

And? I know a couple of them that are tradesmen too, who do I talk to about having their papers taken off them so I dont lose any work?

I thought all Irish people were work shy layabouts? Now It seems its a bad thing to have an extra job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The suicide rate amongst property developers, and others involved in the sector, many of whom face massive losses on investments they made, has also shot up in recent years. There were a few high profile cases, and a recent report estimated that 29 people in the sector had committed suicide in the past 12 months alone.

That being the case, should the government take over their debts for them? Maybe pay the interest on their loans? Or change the rules to suit them at the expense of the consumer? Because that's the equivalent of what people are advocating re taxi drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

professore wrote: »
    The Government are not "flooding the market" as you put it, the taxi drivers themselves are. It's a low skilled job, with low barriers to entry. Anyone who can drive can set themselves up as a taxi driver. A lot of sectors in the economy are not protected at all. This has been the way for decades. It's tough but that's life.

How many ex-construction workers have committed suicide? Should the government only allow there to be 2000 builders in the country? Makes no sense. Just as the restrictive practices that prevent teachers teaching in secondary school unless they have Irish is ridiculous and hurting our economy. Do you really think learning French from a native speaker or someone from Ireland is better ?

COMPETITION IS GOOD ....

I don't hear many arguing against deregulation, but it does seem from this horrible statistic that it was very poorly implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

This thread should be ashamed of itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are you by the Cliffs of Moher?

Come on, this may be AH but that isn't funny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

This thread should be ashamed of itself.

Yeah thread.. shame on you!

sesna wrote: »
    The last few taxi drivers I got moaned and whined about how bad business was for the whole journey.

Why even talk to them?

Sit in the back, cross your arms and look out the window. I rarely talk to a driver apart from giving directions.

If they start their rant just say you are tired and they'll stop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

Why even talk to them?

Sit in the back, cross your arms and look out the window. I rarely talk to a driver apart from giving directions.

If they start their rant just say you are tired and they'll stop

My favourite journey is when I am asked for my destination and the next conversation is the price I owe. Thanks for the tip on being tired.

Well work pays for my taxis home and after a 14 hour shift at month end and clients abusing me over the phone all day last thing I want to hear is somone else moaning about their job.

So I am genuinely tired and tell the driver to STFU with their whinging.

Well no, I say it a lot more politely then that :)

Stekelly wrote: »
    And? I know a couple of them that are tradesmen too, who do I talk to about having their papers taken off them so I dont lose any work?

???.... as long as they're declaring it, there's no problem.
    most aren't. i have a problem with that.

I thought all Irish people were work shy layabouts? Now It seems its a bad thing to have an extra job.

says who? i never said that.

Einhard wrote: »
    The suicide rate amongst property developers, and others involved in the sector, many of whom face massive losses on investments they made, has also shot up in recent years. There were a few high profile cases, and a recent report estimated that 29 people in the sector had committed suicide in the past 12 months alone.

That being the case, should the government take over their debts for them? Maybe pay the interest on their loans? Or change the rules to suit them at the expense of the consumer? Because that's the equivalent of what people are advocating re taxi drivers.

what people? i'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

what people? i'm not.

In general. I'm not going to reply to each individual poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

what people? i'm not.

I'm not either!.
    In general. I'm not going to reply to each individual poster.

Sure fire away and name names.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

The Alison O Riordan thread is that way >>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Firstly, may I say that my sympathies lie with the families and friends of these drivers. One suicide is one too many regardless of that persons status.

The thing that always gets me with the Taxi drivers is that they seem to follow their Union leaders blindly - The same Unions that, iirc, brought the whole regulation issue before the courts in the first place.
    The Minister at the time wanted to introduce 150 more licences to Dublin, the Taxi Unions said no and brought it to the High Court to prevent him from doing so. The Judge looked at it, went against the complainants and effectively opened the door for total deregulation.
    If these stubborn Unions had sat down with the Minister at the time, instead of fighting to protect their monopoly/cartel and effectively saying no to everything that the Minister suggested, then chances are that total de-regulation might never have happened.

Taxi drivers would want to cop on and stop blaming the Government, the Regulator, Immigrants and the whole world in general for all of their problems. Look to your 'leaders' and see where exactly they've led you to.

???.... as long as they're declaring it, there's no problem.
    most aren't. i have a problem with that.

How do you know who is and isnt declaring what?

Would all full time drivers be found to be 100% truthfull when filling in their ruturns if they had been secretly followed for the previous year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Maybe they should have worried more about going out working instead building up so much debt for themselves.
    Dudess wrote: »
    What in the name of sweet fuckin' Jehovah is that sh1t in aid of?

I will wager that many of these men did not kill themselves becasue their job suddenly became competitive.
    I reckon they have huge debts that they are struggling to pay.
    With this in mind, who's fault is it if someone lives beyond their means?

Secondly, the vast majority of complaining taxi drivers I have had the pleasure of enduring, are the older, unionised, Irish drivers, who want to work from nine to five, Monday to Friday, and want to wait all day at the rank (sic).
    That's no way to make a living.
    Granted it was a way to make a living some time ago, but it was laughable then and is even more laughable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

So you only care when it is about a few thousand people, if the person just picks one woman and calls her a fcuk and a wagon, that is fair game to you :rolleyes:

Yeah it is a sweeping statement generalising taxi drivers, but I did not defend it. Take that up with the poster who said it, but it will be hard to have any moral high ground when you don't mind calling a woman a fcuk and a wagon.

If somebody acts like a fuck and a wagon, then there ye go. Critcising specific individuals for what they say is fair enough, generalising isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Anyone who ever stood in the p**sing rain at 2am while an empty tax drove by them looking for a better fair before de-regulation will find it hard to have any sympathy for the financial plight of taxi drivers.

Anyone who has ever been affected or touched by suicide (or who has a heart) will have enormous sympathy for the victims and their families. It's a horrible experience from any distance.

The debate should be about suicide and how to spot and deal with depression rather than whether the taxi industry should be regulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Anyone who ever stood in the p**sing rain at 2am while an empty tax drove by them looking for a better fair before de-regulation will find it hard to have any sympathy for the financial plight of taxi drivers.

Anyone who has ever been affected or touched by suicide (or who has a heart) will have enormous sympathy for the victims and their families. It's a horrible experience from any distance.

The debate should be about suicide and how to spot and deal with depression rather than whether the taxi industry should be regulated.

Well then the drivers should be phsychologically assessed, and if they are deemed potentially suicidal, or at any risk to themselves then they should stop working as a taxi driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Well then the drivers should be phsychologically assessed, and if they are deemed potentially suicidal, or at any risk to themselves then they should stop working as a taxi driver.

Anybody, in any industry, should probably stop working if they are deemed suicidal or a risk to themselves. Depression is a very serious illness.

The idea that regulating the taxi industry is a reasonable way to help solve the suicide problem in this country is ridiculous. It's a wide ranging problem.

Advertisement