Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 taxi drivers commit suicide in the last year.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

More redirected anger.....
    Nermal wrote: »
    Why? Because she won't give moaning taxi drivers what they want?

She's doing a great job, getting a taxi has never been easier. She regulates for consumers and doesn't give a flying **** about the living standards of taxi drivers, and that's how it should be. We don't owe these whingebags a living.

Yeah, fuck the living standards of fellow citizens....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Nodin wrote: »
    He was fairly bang on about the womans attitude. The rest of your post is indeed "crude....and abusive".

Ha, you defend the post from a moderator which is abusive towards the taxi regulator, calling her a "deluded fvck" and a "right ol' wagon that one", and then call Nermals post crude and abusive.

Bit of a double standard?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

He was fairly bang on about the womans attitude. The rest of your post is indeed "crude....and abusive".

Knockin Nodin strikes again, head or ass, makes no difference!

More redirected anger.....

Yeah, fuck the living standards of fellow citizens....

Who take pleasure in ripping off other fellow citizens? Sometimes I think you take opposing stances for the sake of it.

If taxi's cost half the price that they are now they would get far more business, and make far more money.

Ha, you defend the post from a moderator which is abusive towards the taxi regulator, calling her a "deluded fvck" and a "right ol' wagon that one", and then call Nermals post crude and abusive.

Bit of a double standard?

If you can't tell the difference between singling out a person and generalisng about a whole industry, theres no hope for you....

• Advertisement

If you can't tell the difference between singling out a person and generalisng about a whole industry, theres no hope for you....

Yeah one is immature and belongs in the gutter ie Calling the regulator a deluded fcuk and a wagon. The other is a criticism about the taxi industry which does not need to single out individuals and shout personal abuse.

I think you eyes need to be tested, been on that high horse too long.

Yeah one is immature and belongs in the gutter ie Calling the regulator a deluded fcuk and a wagon. The other is a criticism about the taxi industry which does not need to single out individuals and shout personal abuse.

I think you eyes need to be tested, been on that high horse too long.

No, it just generalises about a few thousand people. This doesn't strike you as a sweeping abusive statement.....?
    ......No other business comes close to the Taxi whingers, why don't they just put up and shut up, just like every other service co?

75% of Taxis are unsuitable for self employment, poor people skills and you can guess the rest.

...whereas we know the statements of the regulator, and they've been confrontational, unhelpful and arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

If the incidence of suicide among taxi drivers is as high as alleged, there is a case for all taxi drivers and any prospective new entrants to the industry to be given a thorough psychological exam to assess their suitability for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

There needs to be stricter testing on the old taxi license, at this stage and old Joe can get one. I think only people with an encyclopedic knowledge of the city and as decent car should be allowed drive taxis. It is a joke at the moment, no matter where you go in Dublin there are often more taxis than people. I'm all for competition but at the end of the day most of these fellas are just trying to provide for their families, so the "fcuk them" attitude doesn't wash with me. Maintain competition to a healthy level by all means, but the floodgates should not have been opened like this.

Then when they try and get out of the game they receive no help from the government and most aren't trained for anything and can't afford to just stop working altogher so are stuck barely making ends meet. The government needs to help them (and all self employed people) more, providing courses or something, I don't know.

I do feel for taxi drivers tbh and all this "They used to make 2 grand so fcuk them" stuff is retarded.

Gyalist wrote: »
    If the incidence of suicide among taxi drivers is as high as alleged, there is a case for all taxi drivers and any prospective new entrants to the industry to be given a thorough psychological exam to assess their suitability for the job.

Candidate - 'I want to be a taxi driver'

Assesor - 'looper. Next?'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

The goose that laid the golden egg for Taxi Drivers is well and truly dead and they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Perhaps the regulator should speak to the taxi drivers who were charging extortionate sums for the sale of their plate when times were good for them.

Additionally whatever happened to the Taxi Hardship fund that was introduced by Seamus Brennan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In two minds about this. I feel utterly awful for the lads (and their families) that died but I'm more than a little sickened by the union making political hay about it.

Never in my life have I seen a group of unionised self-employed people with such a recalcitrant, self-motivated opposition to a wholly sensible deregulation of an public service industry on behalf of customer interests.

I hate having to say something like that when suicides are involved but the union can expect nothing less after pushing this into the public/political arena.

No, it just generalises about a few thousand people. This doesn't strike you as a sweeping abusive statement.....?

So you only care when it is about a few thousand people, if the person just picks one woman and calls her a fcuk and a wagon, that is fair game to you :rolleyes:

Yeah it is a sweeping statement generalising taxi drivers, but I did not defend it. Take that up with the poster who said it, but it will be hard to have any moral high ground when you don't mind calling a woman a fcuk and a wagon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

"These deaths have upset the industry an awful lot," she said. "The recession has hit everyone across the country but there are too many cars on the roads and that is hitting our industry hard.

So make more of them kill themselves by taking away their jobs :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I just wonder how so many taxi drivers can afford better cars than my 01 jalopy? Every day I see taxis regged as from '07 onwards, easily cost 20-30 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Sadly the number is probably higher.....if a suicide victim has a lot of drink in their system at the time of death the inquest will not record the death as suicide ,anecdotal evidence would sugest that drink plays a big part in a lot of suicides.....more needs to be done .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Big Mouth wrote: »
    Hopefully don't sound too harsh here but they were alright when they were earning 1,500 - 2000 grand on a weekend.
    Yeah you do sound harsh. And yes, obviously they were alright when they were earning a lot more money (doubt all, if any, of them made that kind of money of a weekend).
    its not the most stressful job in the world
    Til you get drunken, rowdy tools in your car.
    Maybe they should have worried more about going out working instead building up so much debt for themselves.
    What in the name of sweet fuckin' Jehovah is that sh1t in aid of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Dudess wrote: »
    What in the name of sweet fuckin' Jehovah is that sh1t in aid of?

Perhaps huge debt is the primary reason for the suicide rather than their work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

And let's adress the elephant in the room. I do feel bad for a lot of taxi drivers who might have made a business out of it if it wasn't for illegal immigrants. The vast majority of african taxi drivers came here under false pretences and you do feel for the local lads who have had their work diluted by people who are used to a very low standard of living.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

A man recently moved in near me. Completely ripped everything out of the house, EVERYTHING. New kitchen, bathrooms etc.. Built a huge porch, got all new gutters, new drive in, built a conservatory and drives a lovely merc.

He's a taxi driver...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

neil_18_ wrote: »
    A man recently moved in near me. Completely ripped everything out of the house, EVERYTHING. New kitchen, bathrooms etc.. Built a huge porch, got all new gutters, new drive in, built a conservatory and drives a lovely merc.

He's a taxi driver...
    That is another side of it. There are quite a few of them where the taxi thing is just a front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Scambuster wrote: »
    And let's adress the elephant in the room. I do feel bad for a lot of taxi drivers who might have made a business out of it if it wasn't for illegal immigrants. The vast majority of african taxi drivers came here under false pretences and you do feel for the local lads who have had their work diluted by people who are used to a very low standard of living.

Yes I understand where you're coming from but for the past 5 years general construction / labourers had the same problems with foreign nationals coming in at cheaper rates and "taking their work".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Scambuster wrote: »
    That is another side of it. There are quite a few of them where the taxi thing is just a front.

A front for what exactly - weight watchers:D

gurramok wrote: »
    Perhaps huge debt is the primary reason for the suicide rather than their work?
    Well nobody knows, but it did give that poster an opportunity to make a "If people weren't stupid with their money" they wouldn't be in financial trouble now" dig, even though it's not even that relevant.

He's a taxi driver...
    He's one person.

...whereas we know the statements of the regulator, and they've been confrontational, unhelpful and arrogant.

Probably going off topic, but the Taxi industry has long lost the public support. Of course nobody wants to see any individual for whatever reason end up in a situation where they commit suicide. That is tragic and should be avoided. However on the broader front, there isn't another service sector in the country that manages to get as much attention as the Taxi business. It does seem patently obvious to most that the Taxi industry has failed to respond to an open market operating environment. Low bar and relative easy entry requirements does increase the competitive environment, but that is the reality for the vast majority of companies/self employed throughout the country. We don't hear much from plasterers, plumbers, painters, newsagents, fastfood operators etc complaining about open market business environment? The fact that an increasing number of new entrants is proof that there are opportunities still to be had? No doubt some Taxi drivers simply get on and do their job as best they can within the new environment. Others might prefer to moan and protest in the hope that the situation will be dramatically reversed, are in denial. From what I see, the Regulator is probably trying to draw a line of minimum standards that otherwise would not exist. But if drivers refuse to carry basic essentials like child seats, fire extinguishers etc, well I suppose life moves with/out Fred Flinstone cabs.

When I take a taxi now, I wait for a clean and well presented type, the driver is usually clued in, and avoid the usual 'OK Bud-whinger' in the ubiquitous but smelly 94 D Jap Crap clapped out alternative.

The French, Poles, "riff-raff" - Sonnenblumen, you're not shy about expressing your prejudices.

Sunflowers indeed - full of warmth and colour you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

He's a drug dealer ...
    Fyp ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Sure they are jumping off the cliff like lemmings near to where I live.:D

Dudess wrote: »
    The French, Poles, "riff-raff" - Sonnenblumen, you're not shy about expressing your prejudices.

Sunflowers indeed - full of warmth and colour you. :)

22k on the yer clock, go on try harder Dud

• Advertisement

But it's true isn't it - your feelings on those groups? Don't see what my postcount has to do with it.

Advertisement