Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N8 Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Well people shouldn't need to know it, if they have fixed the bugs properly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

why not look at the trouble the 5800 had
    at least its there for people to use no phone is perfect or ever will be

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Piece of $hit.

why cause ya dont have one LOL:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

jimmynokia wrote: »
    why cause
    ya dont have one LOL:D

ive had a few nokia turkeys at this point. ive no n8 to detrmine if that's one too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭donkey balls

ah well im just about to put my iphone 4 back in it's box and revert back to my N97 untill the N8 release.having used the iphone for just under two weeks and trying to sync music from the HD to it was a f**king nightmare
    and not able to bluetooth between the iphone and a nokia.
    the good points about the iphone was the slickness of the UI and pictures taking are top class, i did not like the layout of the ipod player or the way the phone logs your missed/received calls if the N8 can be as slick the iphone4 i reckon Nokia will gain back market share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

HOT OF THE PRESS
    3 FINGER SALUT FOR THE NOKIA N8 KEEP THIS HANDY

Hold "Volume Down + Camera Key + Menu Key" and press power button until you feel it shake
    Seems to cause a few problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Used one today. Noticeable improvement over the 5800, N97 and X6 that I used over the past year or two. Very very responsive.

Used one today. Noticeable improvement over the 5800, N97 and X6 that I used over the past year or two. Very very responsive.

where did you get to play with one?:eek: how would it compare to an iphone(thats if you ever messed around with one)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

where did you get to play with one?:eek: how would it compare to an iphone(thats if you ever messed around with one)

Work :D

I didn't play with it for long enough to genuinely check out the new version Symbian properly. The device itself is extremely impressive looking and seems to be very well made.

Early impressions of Symbian is that most of the gripes that I had with the 5800, N97 and X6 seem to have been addressed - responsiveness being the big one! It also looks very nice.

kmart6 wrote: »

you can simply reinstall these simple enough:)

• Advertisement

Work :D

I didn't play with it for long enough to genuinely check out the new version Symbian properly. The device itself is extremely impressive looking and seems to be very well made.

Early impressions of Symbian is that most of the gripes that I had with the 5800, N97 and X6 seem to have been addressed - responsiveness being the big one! It also looks very nice.

there seems to be alot of issues im afraid to say but they are nothing major as yet:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

you can simply reinstall these simple enough:)
    Well according to that article it ain't!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well according to that article it ain't!

well thats according to the guy that put it up it can be done if you know how:D

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

If i buy the N8/Sim-free handset from Nokia UK will i have any problems running my irish vodafone SIM on it here in Ireland?

no it will be fine but nokia dont ship to ireland

irlpic wrote: »
    If i buy the N8/Sim-free handset from Nokia UK will i have any problems running my irish vodafone SIM on it here in Ireland?

here is what they told me i asked them many times why they dont ship to ireland
    if they have a website for ireland the should ship or give us a chance to buy products

Thank you for contacting Nokia Care. We appreciate you have chosen Nokia as your preferred device.
    We value your constructive feedback, however, please note that we cannot comment on this matter. Please be informed that this is a business choice made by Nokia. However, this matter is highlighted and is given appropriate consideration in the future. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience.
    For future reference, please feel free to check our website. Kindly refer to the link below:
    http://www.nokia.ie/
    You may also call our Customer Care Hotline at 1890 946 245,Mon-Fri 9am-7pm (except bank and public holidays)
    Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you have any further questions.

Yours faithfully,:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

and my answer to that was

whats the point in going to nokia website if i cant buy it from nokia in ireland
    did i get an answer back NO:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

and my answer to that was

whats the point in going to nokia website if i cant buy it from nokia in ireland
    did i get an answer back NO:mad:

It's really disappointing and frustrating that they treat the Irish market in this way. There was an Irish Times piece showing that their profits fell by over 50% for the most recent calendar year period.

Their marketing in Ireland is dreadful. It's also frustrating that they reply to potential Nokia users like that.

Of course if subsidised devices are available on Irish networks at prices much lower than the sim free kind selling on Nokia store websites Irish people - especially given their changed habits post-recession - they are going to go with the contract option. And it's quite easy to get the contract phones unlocked by paying a credit or by simply requesting from the network in question.

But Nokia's whole attitude to the Irish market is not good :(

Queerdub wrote: »
    It's really disappointing and frustrating that they treat the Irish market in this way. There was an Irish Times piece showing that their profits fell by over 50% for the most recent calendar year period.

Their marketing in Ireland is dreadful. It's also frustrating that they reply to potential Nokia users like that.

Of course if subsidised devices are available on Irish networks at prices much lower than the sim free kind selling on Nokia store websites Irish people - especially given their changed habits post-recession - they are going to go with the contract option. And it's quite easy to get the contract phones unlocked by paying a credit or by simply requesting from the network in question.

But Nokia's whole attitude to the Irish market is not good :(

potential ??
    im using nokia and only nokia since they began i deal with distributors for nokia
    there advertising sucks they could make lots of money if they advertised like they even do in the uk
    they should offer an online service for ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

potential ??
    im using nokia and only nokia since they began i deal with distributors for nokia
    there advertising sucks they could make lots of money if they advertised like they even do in the uk
    they should offer an online service for ireland

There certainly is potential. I think a lot of consumers in Ireland may be at the stage where they've been brainwashed that the be all and end all of smartphones is product offerings from the fruit company. Nokia need to engage with the Irish market in a meaningful way to dislodge this sentiment.
    I chatted with a friend yesterday who seems to personify the above. He has a bog standard Nokia phone at the moment and said that he wanted an iphone. Then I engaged with him about the expense involved and poor functionality from an iphone together with the antenna issue and back being too fragile because it's made of glass. I also showed him the UK advert of the N8 and talked about its aluminium structure and scratch resistance, better functionality etc. And he was bowled over, he wants the N8!

Should I write a letter to Nokia about this?!

• Advertisement

Queerdub wrote: »
    There certainly is potential. I think a lot of consumers in Ireland may be at the stage where they've been brainwashed that the be all and end all of smartphones is product offerings from the fruit company. Nokia need to engage with the Irish market in a meaningful way to dislodge this sentiment.
    I chatted with a friend yesterday who seems to personify the above. He has a bog standard Nokia phone at the moment and said that he wanted an iphone. Then I engaged with him about the expense involved and poor functionality from an iphone together with the antenna issue and back being too fragile because it's made of glass. I also showed him the UK advert of the N8 and talked about its aluminium structure and scratch resistance, better functionality etc. And he was bowled over, he wants the N8!

Should I write a letter to Nokia about this?!

your wasting your time look at the reply i got however vote here lets get heard

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056063374

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

no it will be fine but nokia dont ship to ireland

Thanks Jimmy.

Hopefully they will mail it to a relative's address in Northern Ireland(I live on the border).

PS. Do any of you know if Vodafone's sms/mms/email settings are set on their latest SIM cards or is this something i will have to set manually if i buy from Nokia UK?

irlpic wrote: »
    Thanks Jimmy.

Hopefully they will mail it to a relative's address in Northern Ireland(I live on the border).

PS. Do any of you know if Vodafone's sms/mms/email settings are set on their latest SIM cards or is this something i will have to set manually if i buy from Nokia UK?

the phone has a setting wizzard built in also the settings should be available online soon
    the settings for E5 sould work if not although this been symbian 3 im unsure.
    with nokia settings work on various models
    example say you had a nokia c5 the settings will work for an E5
    IVE TRIED AND TESTED THIS many times over the years if you have any issue let me know im hoping to have one soon there is a lad selling one on done deal but looking for to much

nokia do ship to north of irleland

Looks like Three UK are getting the N8 in so it should only be a matter of time hopefully before Three Ireland gets it.http://threestore.three.co.uk/nokia.aspx

Looks like Three UK are getting the N8 in so it should only be a matter of time hopefully before Three Ireland gets it.http://threestore.three.co.uk/nokia.aspx

the uk are always ahead when it comes to phones,they have the spending power and they have a much tougher market to compete in so this is why they are ahead:o

I know i could be waiting a while jimmy as i had to when the N97 was released,im just happy that Three UK have got it so there is a good chance of Three Ireland getting it also.

I know i could be waiting a while jimmy as i had to when the N97 was released,im just happy that Three UK have got it so there is a good chance of Three Ireland getting it also.

I WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED IVE A FEW SOURCES AT HAND AND THE MINUTE WHEN THEY GET IT I WILL LET YOU KNOW IT WILL BE SIM FREE THOUGH:D:D:D IF THATS WHAT YOU WANT

also look here
    http://www.google.ie/aclk?sa=l&ai=C4EdqBOW9TM-vI8aAjAfKgJEaodbtzgGB3YSKF4T3wIQPCAAQASgDUOua9q3______wFg9drqg_wOoAG75PD2A8gBAakCssK5Nvc_tz6qBB5P0AivMGW0tQ7ELIooQHjba94Oj6ykvOOgET7sBR0&sig=AGiWqtzcAws7Trs0Gt0z7Vitg0C0mjGLXA&adurl=http://srch.atdmt.com/search/31590/SRCH5rdgs95rs9/Default/Nokia%2BN8/0/.search

phones online is one source and ive a few other contacts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

the N8 is now available on amazon for a good price even after shipping which is about 30 dollars

549.99 dollars
    395.14 euros good good price im ordering.:D
    you wont get it cheaper than that.:):):):):):):):):):)

amazon.co.uk dont ship phones to ROI. Only people would be third party sellers on the amazon site.

Davy wrote: »
    amazon.co.uk dont ship phones to ROI. Only people would be third party sellers on the amazon site.

seller is amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003ZX7RNC/ref=sr_1_3_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1287686743&sr=8-3&condition=new

not 3rd party ive an account with them years

• Advertisement

http://www.fonez.ie/

anybody heard of this joint check it out

they say they will have it tuesday at a price of 549 euro....

Advertisement