Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Crayon Map Thread

Options
  • 16-10-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

Don't know how popular an idea this could be, but these type of things seem to pop up a lot in various threads :o

So the idea is you post your pictures (or Google Maps etc. type stuff) with your fantasy network, changes to current planned lines, or other infrastructure maps you've created.

To start off, here's a map I made (updated version of one I posted before) of the proposed Dublin rail network. It includes (I think) all stops, as opposed to the one government agencies use which are a little light on detail :P

Click for full (: (Still a few mistakes, like a couple of Maynooths xD)
    Untitled-1.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

Looks good.

There´s no "hill" in Shankill. Means Old Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Why is Maynooth on there six times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

To be honest I prefer your previous map. The straight angles are much easier to read. That new bendy one looks messy making it difficult to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I actually like that map more, it's easier on the eye or something. If there were more lines being built, straight lines could be better but I like that one a lot.

I think you left Maynooth out. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Why is Maynooth on there six times :D

Its the new Mluas service to run along the line between trains, stops at Carton House, Tesco, the Railway Station, Bond Bridge, the back of the College and across the canal from the ghost estate :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

There may be a couple of mistakes, but it is 'sure as hell' better than the official map!

At least there's proper detail in it...

...and it's produced for free...

...wonder how much the tax payer had the foot for the official version?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

IMO, Metro West shouldnt go ahead, I don't see the point.

I think its a great map though.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Thanks for the feedback (: Sorry about Maynooth, copied the layer and forgot to change the names XD

Still trying to get the ball rolling with this thread, so... gonna see what people's ideas for a far-into-the-future Metro South-West are?

Here's a pretty rough version I done. Any route would probably have to be tunneled until just before the M50. The density of housing in this area of Dublin would also seem to make finding sites for the construction of stops difficult. For this reason, the route I chose has almost all stops in parks (:

Do people think this route is realistic? Would the population catchment be as much as it looks on a map? If you think it's unsuitable, what would your route idea be? (:

(Click for larger)
    MSW800.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Telchak, I think your first map is brilliant! Very useful, thank you! :)

I wonder if you could help me with this problem. Is there any available map of Dublin showing the direction of vehicular traffic, such as one-way streets, no-entry areas, and new traffic lanes etc.? I spent ages the other day using the Google Street View (judging by the cars), in an effort to try and figure out certain routes for driving in Dublin and it was extremely slow, and possibly out of date in some areas.

If there isn't such a map, would it be possible to create one here?

The Raven. wrote: »
    Telchak, I think your first map is brilliant! Very useful, thank you! :)

I wonder if you could help me with this problem. Is there any available map of Dublin showing the direction of vehicular traffic, such as one-way streets, no-entry areas, and new traffic lanes etc.? I spent ages the other day using the Google Street View (judging by the cars), in an effort to try and figure out certain routes for driving in Dublin and it was extremely slow, and possibly out of date in some areas.

If there isn't such a map, would it be possible to create one here?

Have you tried OpenStreetMap? It's usually up to date (:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Thanks, Telchak. That is great. I didn't know it existed. Is there still restricted access between College Green and Nassau Street, where only buses are allowed at certain times? That is a pain in the neck for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I like you're future Metro South map, but I also have been busy crayoning, and think I have a better one. It would be built in stages:

Stage 1: Stephen's green to Terenure, with stops at Leeson Street, Rathmines Village, Harolds Cross and Terenure. Serves the most built-up south west suburbs, and also gives a really good bus interchange along the N11, Rathmines road, and N81 QBCs.

Stage 2A: Terenure to Balally via Rathfarnham and Nutgrove. Would connect Metro South to the Luas Green line. Upgrade of Kilmacud, Stillorgan and Sandyford to Metro platforms, allow Luas and Metro on this stretch, with Stillorgan as the southern metro terminus and Luas running Cherrywood - city.

Stage 2B: Terenure to Tallaght, via Templeogue and the Tallaght bypass. The last part of this route would run on the median of the Tallaght bypass, not unlike what is planned for metro North on the Swords bypass.

Later stage: Tunnel between Parnell street and broadstone, to allow separate Broombridge - Stillorgan (later Finglas) and Swords - Tallaght metro lines in the future.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=110031367556011964879.000492e4dad9c87e2d592&ll=53.370118,-6.258945&spn=0.094637,0.096645&t=h&z=13

@CoolMoD: I like this idea of using the Terranure to Parnell stretch of the tunnel for two lines (: I'm assuming your idea would make the Parnell to Broombridge section of BXD unnecessary? I think you probably have too many stops on the the Part 1 and 2B :p

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

Thanks for this, its a great map. Would it possible to layer it with current / projected population densities (perhaps gleaned from CSO Electoral Divisions)? - it would add greatly to the discussion about which areas of the city are underserved by train/tram/metro...

Telchak wrote: »
    @CoolMoD: I like this idea of using the Terranure to Parnell stretch of the tunnel for two lines (: I'm assuming your idea would make the Parnell to Broombridge section of BXD unnecessary? I think you probably have too many stops on the the Part 1 and 2B :p

I think the alignment and number of stops south of Terenure is really up for grabs as I don't know that area well enough to say where really needs the stops, but I think the idea of a forked pair of lines linking to green Luas and Tallaght is good, as it gives an east-west rapid link as well as north-south.

All the stops north of Terenure are important, as they would give bus interchanges with QBCs, and the possibility, with integrated ticketing, of terminating bus routes short of the city centre, providing shorter, more frequent mainly feeder routes.

I would imagine if a Parnell to Broadstone tunnel was ever built, it would come maybe 10-20 years after BXD, so it wouldn't really remove the need for BXD. There would be a Luas Green running from Broadstone to Cherrywood/Bray, and two metros running Swords - Tallaght and Broombridge/Finglas - Sandyford.

With these improvements, DART underground, 4 tracks Connolly to Malahide, Sligo intercity redirected into Heuston via a new line lining Maynooth and Hazelhatch, and eventually some form of Metro(/Luas/BRT) West Dublin would have an excellent transport infrastructure. And if the services were properly organised, with competent operators, Dublin would have a good transport infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Right, this has been muddling in my mind for ages - a design incorporating al the projects commonly mentioned, but that does one other thing - eliminates the shack that is Tara Street, and much more importantly, removes the loopline bridge from our skyline.

Please realise I've done this with the sole intention of removing the loopline - keeping it is a much more realistic and viable option but it's nice to dream :P

So tonight I decided to have a crack, comments welcome folks. See notes below.

8a552.png

Notes/Major new departures:
    1. Connolly Station becomes a terminus, with the Northwestern commuter and Luas Red Lines linking here.
    2. A new major station constructed on the waste ground at Docklands station which effectively will replace Connolly as the major interchange in the east city.
    3. Tara Street station and the loopline bridge gone forever.
    4. Provision for a tunnel to connect Pearse and Connolly at a later stage, with the portal being constructed where platform 5-7 were.
    5. Maynooth-Bray DART Line reclocated to the new tunnel from Docklands to Pearse. A supr tunnel and cross cavern to be constructed in the docklands area providing 2 additional lines to travel towards Grand Canal Dock where the new tunnel will emerge and rejoin the existing overground line. This level change will be facilitated by the removal of Pearse Station as an overground one. This means all DART services would go to Docklands from the southside, and the removal of a busy station from the city - but I think the addition of one station change to that route would be worth the removal of the bridge.
    Alternative: The DART line from the southeast could route via Pearse and join the proposed tunnel from Pearse to Connolly. This tunnel would need to be minimum 4 lines, and this project would require the demolition and rebuilding of Connolly Station.
    5. The PPT (Phoenix park tunnel) could be utilised in addition to this plan to link the Zoo, Cabra, etc to the network for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Rail maps with right angles aren't rail maps folks. Gotta respect minimum curvature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Balbriggan DART through the interconnector doesn't feature on this map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Balbriggan DART through the interconnector doesn't feature on this map.

Line M. :)

dowlingm wrote: »
    Rail maps with right angles aren't rail maps folks. Gotta respect minimum curvature.

Only lines with sharp angles are LUAS ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Line M. :)
    Where is the legend?

The map doesn't indicate Balbriggan to Hazelhatch which is what is being planned, it indicates Balbriggan to Pearse and Malahide to Hazelhatch.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Where is the legend?

The map doesn't indicate Balbriggan to Hazelhatch which is what is being planned, it indicates Balbriggan to Pearse and Malahide to Hazelhatch.

I think he thought you meant sdonn's map?
    If you mean mine, I was confused with the various different plans, not sure where had been decided on, so I just left it at Malahide for the moment (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Telchak wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback (: Sorry about Maynooth, copied the layer and forgot to change the names XD

Still trying to get the ball rolling with this thread, so... gonna see what people's ideas for a far-into-the-future Metro South-West are?

Here's a pretty rough version I done. Any route would probably have to be tunneled until just before the M50. The density of housing in this area of Dublin would also seem to make finding sites for the construction of stops difficult. For this reason, the route I chose has almost all stops in parks (:

Do people think this route is realistic? Would the population catchment be as much as it looks on a map? If you think it's unsuitable, what would your route idea be? (:

Yeah, I was thinking about Metro South too. I'm glad you avoided areas like Rathgar which I don't think would generate enough usage to justify any stations. The only thing is that I might be inclined to go further South East into the area around Wilton Terrace and Waterloo road where I believe that there's a lot of people working. I'd then swing very sharply to the West and revert to something along the lines of what you're suggesting. I think that the Metro North may have to be postponed, so the planners might think of preparing for Metro South so that everything is ready to go when the economy may have substantially picked up in five to ten years time.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

sdonn wrote: »
    much more importantly, removes the loopline bridge from our skyline.

That bridge is as much part of Dublin's heritage as the Customs House or anything else it "blocks". Victorian engineering at its finest and worth preserving. An elevated, wrought iron urban railway built in 1891. Fantastic piece of kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Havent created one myself but Foinse came up with this on a thread on Limerick City Forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53322344&postcount=1

The picture shows a red line and blue line, the red line is already in place while the blue line would be considered a new line (as in its not in existence already). There a number of tracks in situ in limerick that arent used to a great extent. The red line could be extended to Shannon airport making it viable for passengers to head straight for the centre of the city.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/88948/41209.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Yeah, I was thinking about Metro South too. I'm glad you avoided areas like Rathgar which I don't think would generate enough usage to justify any stations. The only thing is that I might be inclined to go further South East into the area around Wilton Terrace and Waterloo road where I believe that there's a lot of people working. I'd then swing very sharply to the West and revert to something along the lines of what you're suggesting.

I really like Cool Mo D's map and I think he is 90% spot on with route, stations etc. but the one thing I would change would be to get rid of the Lesson St stop altogether and have it go straight to Rathmines. Going from St Stephens Green to Lesson St/Waterloo Rd and then over to Rathmines would adds a good bit to the cost and journey times, even if it would be a popular stop. When you look at it on the map there is almost a 90degree angle between the line from SSG to Lesson St and the line from Lesson St to Rathmines which would require a long sweeping curve to allow the metro to maintain a decent speed which would be extremely expensive and unnecessarily so.

In order to keep costs down and improve journey times the route should be as straight and as direct as possible. IMO it would be better for the first stop south of SSG should be Rathmines, but further north than on Cool Mo D's map, on Lower Rathmines Road. This would leave good straight stretches of track between SSG and Rathmine and then Rathmines and Harolds Cross
    I think that the Metro North may have to be postponed, so the planners might think of preparing for Metro South so that everything is ready to go when the economy may have substantially picked up in five to ten years time.

I think(hope) MN will go ahead but either way they are prepared for MS. The SSG stop will have a turnback facility just south of the station, underneath the Green. This is primarily to allow the trains to turn around at SSG without having to switch tracks/tunnels and disrupt other trains will also make it easier to extend the metro. If MS was ever to be built I would image they would start tunnelling from somewhere towards the southern end of the new line where they would have more space to launch TBMs. This would have the advantages of causing less disruption in the city centre as the excavated material would come above ground further south in an area more easily accessed by trucks, and of course the Green itself would not have to be touched. Anyway they would bore northwards towards SSG to meet the existing turnback area, which would become part of the line when MS in complete, avoiding any disruption to SSG station.

By the way, great map Cool Mo D, I especially like the idea of joining MS to Luas Green Line and having the metro run from Stillorgan to Swords, great stuff.

Ok, I've finished my ultimate crayon map - with everythong Dublin's transport might need for the foreseeable future.

I've included every proposed project in full, including the Blue Line BRT.

I've also added:
    Metro South
    Finglas Luas/Metro
    Beaumont BRT
    4-tracking Northern line (including tunnel section)
    Rail link between Maynooth and line to Heuston, (Sligo and Mullingar trains call at Heuston, devoting the Maynooth line to DART, Dunboyne commuter)
    The extra bit of 4-track linking the KRP and Interconnector

Not included are stop locations, Navan or Drogheda DART (too far out).

Also, I think that Metro West could reasonably be BRT rather than light rail.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=110031367556011964879.0004934a2c1b819e13135&ll=53.342763,-6.368637&spn=0.23039,0.716858&z=11

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Also, I think that Metro West could reasonably be BRT rather than light rail.

+1

• Advertisement

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Rail link between Maynooth and line to Heuston, (Sligo and Mullingar trains call at Heuston, devoting the Maynooth line to DART, Dunboyne commuter)

Do you mean that these trains would call at Heuston after leaving Connolly, or now terminate at Heuston instead? In either case, they can't get to Sligo or Mullingar without using the maynooth line, how can that be avoided??

Advertisement