Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC victory in piracy case

Options
  • 11-10-2010 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/upc-scores-landmark-victory-in-illegal-downloads-case-2374221.html

It's a shame really because it would have been the saviour of the music business in Ireland (and probably the world as other countries followed suit). Now they'll have to wait until the government passes legislation to force the service providers to block illegal downloading. Good luck with that.....

I'll be the first to admit that I use torrents to download TV shows that have already been shown on TV. I never download music as it's robbing the artists of valuable income.

The only way the music business is going to thrive again is by stopping large scale copyright theft. And the only way to do this is to force the ISP's to stop illegal downloading.

What's your opinion on what way this is going to pan out? Will they ever be able to stop torrents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

it didnt work in the uk and it wont work here. suing people and cutting them off isnt the answer.

The boys in monty python have the right idea

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/01/23/free-monty-python-videos-on-youtube-lead-to-23000-dvd-sale-increase/ (i still wonder if thats a piss take though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

So what you reckon? Provide your stuff for free and hope people will buy it??

It might work for marketing stuff that's been around for ages (bringing it to a newer audience) but what about new up and coming acts? It's hardly going to work for them

i reckon the internet is here and the music industry has to deal with it.

whats the music industry doing for up and coming acts anyway? not much besides ripping them off. X-Factor is what the music industry is doing for 'new; acts and thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

Provide your stuff for free and then if people like it they (or bars/clubs etc.) will pay to go to your gigs.
    I'll be the first to admit that I use torrents to download TV shows that have already been shown on TV. I never download music as it's robbing the artists of valuable income.
    I think that's whats referrred to as having your cake and eating it too.
    to force the ISP's to stop illegal downloading.
    1. Why is it up to ISP's to stop it, they are just providing a service to access the interweb.
    2. ISP's can't stop it even if they wanted to, e.g. anonymous IP's

• Advertisement

I think that's whats referrred to as having your cake and eating it too.

It's a matter of opinion. I've no problem downloading a show that's already been shown on TV but I've just missed it for whatever reason. But each to their own.

I was really only asking how you see things going in the next few years. If things continue the way they are, it's going to get harder and harder for new acts to emerge. Fact. And the argument that all music should be free and bands can make their money touring is utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The music industry's approach since Napster came on to the scene has always been all stick, no carrot. I pay a yearly subscription to a file-sharing site and get all the downloads I want, in the quality I want, with the options I want. I don't particularly want to do this, it is illegal after all, but where's the industry's counter-offer? I'd be more than willing to pay a premium for an offically-sanctioned equivalent service. Even the best of the 'official' offerings, the iTunes store, is out-dated, not very user friendly, expensive, and doesn't offer great options.

The TV providers are at least starting to move with the times, with streaming and on-demand offerings (although there's still no reasonable, lawful alternatives to DVDs), but the music industry is stuck in the mud and can't seem to realise they have to move on

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

It's a shame really because it would have been the saviour of the music business in Ireland (and probably the world as other countries followed suit).
    What's your opinion on what way this is going to pan out? Will they ever be able to stop torrents?
    No it won't. A lot of people would never buy anyway. Not every pirate download is a lost sale.

The government brings in a 3 strikes rule and downloaders switch to fast private VPN/Proxy in a country where there is no such rule.

Yep very true. A legal alternative would be one of the best solutions. A flat monthly fee of whatever, that gets distributed to artists on the basis of downloads.

However, will this stop illegal downloading? I doubt it. Some sort of action on the part of the ISP's is going to be needed.

No it won't. A lot of people would never buy anyway. Not every pirate download is a lost sale.

The government brings in a 3 strikes rule and downloaders switch to fast private VPN/Proxy in a country where there is no such rule.

So there's no solution? Illegal downloading (on a mass scale) is here to stay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

A 3 strikes rule would make it hard for casual downloaders to get away with it. And some people would never pay for a VPN just to get pirated materials. But then theres direct passing on copies either in person or through IM, shared hosting online etc. They'll never be able to stop it without some low price legal alternative. I pirate less games now, partially cause I can afford them now, but also cause of services like Steam where I get games very cheap during sales. If they price it right they can stop a lot of mass downloading,

HOME TAPING IS KILLING MUSIC

its the same thing, different era

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

It might work for marketing stuff that's been around for ages (bringing it to a newer audience) but what about new up and coming acts? It's hardly going to work for them

How about doing live performances to earn your money and not expecting to make it from a copy of a copy of a copy etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭splitrmx

It's a matter of opinion. I've no problem downloading a show that's already been shown on TV but I've just missed it for whatever reason. But each to their own.
    But you do have a problem with people downloading a piece of music that's already been played on the radio which they have missed for whatever reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

We're already seeing a change in the revenue model. Prince and Radiohead, for instance, are two hugely high-profile acts that have released albums for free, largely because the ensuing publicity will ensure the success of touring and all that goes with it (merchandising etc). I'm curious as to whether we'll see a situation whereby album releases serve only to support a tour as opposed to the former opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Yes it is.

This is a great victory for internet freedom, I for one am delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Well the downloading phenomena seems to have stripped people of any sense of respect for peoples property and find all sorts of excuses to justify theft.

I personally care not what people take, but i've seen musicians downloading gigs and gigs of apps - are these people even taking their life seriously? - no.

Having been on the receiving end of these void like successes in music (only working day and night for over 20 years now) have found that people don't go and buy the music if they like because the majority are lazy - it's too easy to forget to download a track among thousands you've stolen.

I was lucky enough to have sold some music when it was pretty much still physical only and can see the difference now as being a massive drop in income. As I haven't been going out live - where does that leave me... oh, in the trusting hands of belligerent thieving individuals.

If you can't afford it, and it's not yours, stop stealing - or keep stealing and don't let it worry your tiny little mind at night, i'm sure i might be able to afford to fix the boiler this year *prays*

Sadly also, because even when you own physical *actual purchased* copies of an album that some tart still nicks it... i'm on my 3rd copy (legit) of some albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Your a hypocrite, the people who make the tv programs also need to be paid, they are paid by the networks who make money selling advertisements. Dont fool yourself into thinking that it's ok to download tv programs for free but draw the line at music it's still stealing. And that's coming from someone else who downloads

Neurojazz wrote: »
    Well the downloading phenomena seems to have stripped people of any sense of respect for peoples property and find all sorts of excuses to justify theft.

I personally care not what people take, but i've seen musicians downloading gigs and gigs of apps - are these people even taking their life seriously? - no.

Having been on the receiving end of these void like successes in music (only working day and night for over 20 years now) have found that people don't go and buy the music if they like because the majority are lazy - it's too easy to forget to download a track among thousands you've stolen.

I was lucky enough to have sold some music when it was pretty much still physical only and can see the difference now as being a massive drop in income. As I haven't been going out live - where does that leave me... oh, in the trusting hands of belligerent thieving individuals.

If you can't afford it, and it's not yours, stop stealing - or keep stealing and don't let it worry your tiny little mind at night, i'm sure i might be able to afford to fix the boiler this year *prays*

Sadly also, because even when you own physical *actual purchased* copies of an album that some tart still nicks it... i'm on my 3rd copy (legit) of some albums.

I dont think anyone argues that things have changed, but they have. the music industry and musicians have to find the silver lining to this particular cloud. Giving out about and threatening to sue people over it - like the music industry has done up to now - wont fix it. The other side is that the internet has helped people reach many they never would have reached before, and taken the monoply of distribution out of the hands of the major labels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

maccored wrote: »
    and taken the monoply of distribution out of the hands of the major labels.

That also, but then stuffed them being able to get momentum via the lavish PR and advertising - is that a balancing force?, the bonus that the big labels had was that it was a centralized service - now it's a fragmented mess with few clues as to where to start in the minefield of music.

Getting all that stuff sorted by an individual is almost as arduous as a journey into self discovery. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

From a technical point of view yes there is no solution. Tunneled encrypted proxies and distributed networks when widespread will make even quantifying impossible, let alone stopping it. After 12 or so years the music industry still hasnt been able to come up with a viable product. What efforts they have made have only turned people further away (DRM that spies on you, breaks things).

Their metric for their losses are laughable. Do you really think teenagers with €5000 woth of music on their computer would ever really have enough money to pay a fraction of that if illegal downloading wasnt available? Assuming that all €5000 is a real material loss is nonsense and they know it.

People have a fixed budget to entertainment. Young people especially have a voracious appetite for music though conversely the least ability to pay for what they want. Though it pales compared to music companies appetite for ever bigger profits. Right now they arent getting their slice of that entertainment budget through sheer stubborness.

I will say this. If evey person sharing that music was somehow magically disconnected the companies wouldnt see one extra penny. They untapped revenue they think is there is merely a phantasm. No more real than the digital bits on a hard drive that make up their product. Instantly copied, shared, deleted. Try doing that with a car or a TV! Of course thats their real problem. They sell an unphysical product. An idea, that used to be physically tied to a hard media (vinyl, tape, cd). The hard part has evaporated and its a difficult thing getting people to pay for an idea.

splitrmx wrote: »
    But you do have a problem with people downloading a piece of music that's already been played on the radio which they have missed for whatever reason?
    Nolimits wrote: »
    Your a hypocrite, the people who make the tv programs also need to be paid, they are paid by the networks who make money selling advertisements. Dont fool yourself into thinking that it's ok to download tv programs for free but draw the line at music it's still stealing. And that's coming from someone else who downloads

I do watch TV series on the TV. And I also buy them from Amazon etc, rent them from video shops, borrow them from mates and download a couple. I'm not a serial downloader so you can all argue with me till the cows come home, I'll still have a clear consience.

My problem is with people who have absolutely no regard for other people's intellectual rights. Everyone knows downloading everything for free is wrong. And people that do it every day with everything they watch/listen to need be stopped.

Neurojazz wrote: »
    That also, but then stuffed them being able to get momentum via the lavish PR and advertising - is that a balancing force?, the bonus that the big labels had was that it was a centralized service - now it's a fragmented mess with few clues as to where to start in the minefield of music.

Getting all that stuff sorted by an individual is almost as arduous as a journey into self discovery. ;)

i think it'll even out - people will find out just how hard distro is to do properly, and then revert back to those who know how to do it best. But - it doesnt get away from the fact that some forward thinking is now required by all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I'm releasing vinyl from now on (and much of it will be vinyl only). You wanna protect your art, make vinyl the medium of choice for your music.

jtsuited wrote: »
    I'm releasing vinyl from now on (and much of it will be vinyl only). You wanna protect your art, make vinyl the medium of choice for your music.

Bet someone somewhere will convert it to mp3 and upload it to a torrent site.

which means more people will hear it and those who like their music with artwork and the proper product will seek it out and buy it. Ive done that a zillion time in regards music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Bi6N

The old System is broken, man is in the digital age, no more can information be caged.

The age of the Pirate is only at its cusp.
    I'm very happy with the results, one of the greatest things about UPC is the freedom. Go forth and download!

FREE MEDIA F*CK YEA

Bi6N wrote: »

FREE MEDIA F*CK YEA

The problem is what do you do when people stop producing that media due to not being able to make a living from producing it (since it gets downloaded for free)?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/upc-scores-landmark-victory-in-illegal-downloads-case-2374221.html
    The only way the music business is going to thrive again is by stopping large scale copyright theft.

Ever think the music business was getting too much money in the first place ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

maccored wrote: »
    The problem is what do you do when people stop producing that media due to not being able to make a living from producing it (since it gets downloaded for free)?
    Art is not motivated by profit. Its pre-dated the distribution cartels and will live on long after them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement