Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whipping Boy

• 12-05-2008 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

Why have I only found about these lads now and what happened to them? I just got the album Heartworm and it's been on repeat for the last week. Definitely the most under rated Irish band.

We Don't need nobody else

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=sLT5s9eoBgo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Ho-Hum wrote: »
    Why have I only found about these lads now and what happened to them? I just got the album Heartworm and it's been on repeat for the last week. Definitely the most under rated Irish band.

one of my favourite albums from my early teens.

i heard the lead singer was up to something recently enough.

+1 on the underrated irish band point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I think they have turned into one of the Christmas get together bands so you might here from them come december when they need money to buy theur Kin some presents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Stiv

I saw them live a couple of years back (during the summer, incidentally). Was quite drunk for much of the affair but do remember the flashing lights and the frontman dangling his flab over the front of the stage at every opportunity.

Also notable for the horrific warm-up act Jinx Lennon, who had a pint tossed at him and spent the final five minutes of his set screaming "**** Limerick" at the audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Stiv wrote: »
    I saw them live a couple of years back (during the summer, incidentally). Was quite drunk for much of the affair but do remember the flashing lights and the frontman dangling his flab over the front of the stage at every opportunity.

Also notable for the horrific warm-up act Jinx Lennon, who had a pint tossed at him and spent the final five minutes of his set screaming "**** Limerick" at the audience.

Was at that gig, in Dolans in Limerick. Jinx Lennon is presumably a day release patient of some sort. Still, great gig, great band. Their self titled third album is well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Stiv

I think that was it, I'm not from Limerick so I dunno the name. It was in the back room of a pub, I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Their self titled third album is well worth checking out.

I'd go for Submarine over that, personally.

And farbeit from me to knock a free plug if you're looking for more info on the band OP, check out www.valentine69.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

I saw them in the Warwick in Galway in the mid to late nineties. Ferghal came out wearing something akin to a priests collar and shirt with sexy fishnet tights and high heels. Twas mosh-tastic.

Heartworm should have been bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I saw them at an Irish festival a few years back and they were shocking. Fearghal came out on stage wearing a motorcycle helmet :confused: It didn't get much better from there. I also heard other stories about a gig of theirs about 2 or 3 Christmases ago and Fearghal came out too drunk to sing most of the songs. I love their albums though, hopefully they might release something more in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Shame how it worked out. sometimes its hard to understand how great songs/albums just don't get out there enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I'd go for Submarine over that, personally.QUOTE]

me too, submarine is amazing

rgds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was at that Whipping Boy gig in Limerick too. It was a good gig, but they weren't what they used to be. The new songs they played were pretty bad.

How Jinx Lennon made it out of there alive will go down as one of the great mysteries of 21st Century Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Just in case you haven't heard him...

http://www.jinxlennon.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Just in case you haven't heard him...

http://www.jinxlennon.com/

Thats fairly shocking stuff, I'd be embarrassed to be from Dundalk after listening to him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I've seen Jinx Lennon's show and spoken to him several times. My opinion of him is quite low...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Doesn' the lead singer have Schizophrenia?, I hope he's manaing it ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭ Michaela Thundering Seaside

Whipping boy - one third of the holy trinity of irish music that should have been huge in the 90s- Kerbdog and Rollerskate skinny being the other two.
    Mckee and Page were the Morrissey/Marr of irish music i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Whipping boy - one third of the holy trinity of irish music that should have been huge in the 90s- Kerbdog and Rollerskate skinny being the other two.

Your forgetting Fatima Mansions who also didnt acheive the recognition they deserved
    MBV were the only "Irish" band of the time that got the recognition they deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Eh, I don't think so.

I know on A Natural there's a lyric where he says he's recently been diagnosed with "acute paranoid schizophrenia" but I'm pretty sure it's just that; a lyric.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Yeah, they are bloody ace. They are hugely under-rated aren't they? By right, we should be hearing When We Were Young on day-time radio very frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Your forgetting Fatima Mansions who also didnt acheive the recognition they deserved
    MBV were the only "Irish" band of the time that got the recognition they deserved

More recently, Turn should have achieved that.

It's odd to think how many Irish bands had the potential........ thread coming..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Eh, I don't think so.

I know on A Natural there's a lyric where he says he's recently been diagnosed with "acute paranoid schizophrenia" but I'm pretty sure it's just that; a lyric.

Nope, apparently it's legit. <SNIP>

He was working in a kitchen or something last he was seen of...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,032 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ho-Hum wrote: »

The most underrated Irish band is a moniker which belongs solely with anything Cathal Coughlan has ever been involved with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Nope, apparently it's legit. <SNIP>

He was working in a kitchen or something last he was seen of...

Do not post unfounded allegations about members of the band.

Fearghal McKee still plays music with a new band and has by no means disappeared.

Please stop making things up about him, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Ekels wrote: »
    They are hugely under-rated aren't they?
    They've appeared on a few best Irish rock album lists so in terms of actual success they actually achieved I'd say they're overrated at this stage :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I would love to track down some kerbdog albums, nowhere to be found....
    I have rollerskate skinny "horsedrawn wishes", great album...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

seachto7 wrote: »
    I would love to track down some kerbdog albums, nowhere to be found....
    I have rollerskate skinny "horsedrawn wishes", great album...

Really?I found them to be everywhere in charity shops, along with other 90's groups for whom it didn't work out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

must check them out...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭edbrez

Serves him right. He falsely announced a member of the audience at a New Inn gig in the 1990s was disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

edbrez wrote: »
    Serves him right. He falsely announced a member of the audience at a New Inn gig in the 1990s was disabled.

Look the dude is a legend idk maybe we shouldnt be talking about him ..if whipping boy played the workmans/NCH,played heartworm start to finish,maybe a string section and charged e100 for a ticket I would fcuking go!

Advertisement