Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Goings On...

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭

Sky have closed down Sky Real Lives and have shifted some channels off a transponder on Astra 2D. Making way for something perhaps?

Possibly the FIVE family of channels (Channel 5, FIVER, FIVE USA and their +1's) moving from 12.422 to go FTA? Let's hope so.

Also, BBC 1 HD is launching in the next month or two, so it shouldn't be long before we see some action on the BBC HD transponder. With the space they create to launch BBC HD and BBC 1 HD together, we might even have Channel 4 HD joining them before Christmas. Let's really hope so!

Keep watching the skies! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Yes the fight for space is getting interesting. I dont think Sky will relinquish what they have for a fta competitor. CH4HD may not become FTA til 2012.

But we dont know who will utilise the repositioned Astra 1N to 28.2 in Q2 2011 to solve the problem with narrow beam space problems at 2D (until the new birds go up between 2012 and 14).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67591232&postcount=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Maybe they just realised nobody watches those useless channels! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

Think about it though, the transponders on 2D don't have as much bandwidth as those on 2A and 2B, so if Sky want to launch more channels, especially HD ones, they would be better off with transponders on those beams. As some are occupied by the BBC, ITV, C4 and C5, why wouldn't they let them swap to a transponder on 2D where they can be FTA, it will only help Sky by letting them do it, and the broadcasters are moaning there is no space to go FTA so surely they would welcome the chance to move?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

gtg60 wrote: »
    Maybe they just realised nobody watches those useless channels! :D

Exactly. And they now own Living, so they had even less reason to keep these channels going.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Living HD has launched today on Sky ch 224, Hallmark is to be re-branded as Universal TV. Sky hd has reached 3 million subscribers which is a lot of growth considering the recession and people watching the pennies.

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Sky hd has reached 3 million subscribers which is a lot of growth considering the recession and people watching the pennies.

And that it is overpriced and doesn't have great content :rolleyes:

Agree on the overpriced bit but 50 HD channels is hardly "not great content"-compare it to UPC's offering of HD. I hope when HBO and AMC launch on Sky they'll be HD.

Agree on the overpriced bit but 50 HD channels is hardly "not great content"-compare it to UPC's offering of HD. I hope when HBO and AMC launch on Sky they'll be HD.

Just my opinion, I had Sky HD for over a year, I only had the standard HD pack, once my favourite programs ended (Lost, BSG, 24) I saw no reason to continue paying €15 a month.
    Different story if I'd have had movies or sport then it's better value for money IMHO!

Well, the final two channels on that transponder are currently in the process of moving elsewhere, leaving an entire transponder on 2D free. What will it be used for? We will find out very soon I'm sure, I'm just hoping it's for all the Channel 5 regions and FIVE USA, FIVER and their +1's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

I hope when HBO and AMC launch on Sky they'll be HD.

Is this happening for sure? I hadn't read about it, cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

SteM wrote: »
    Is this happening for sure? I hadn't read about it, cool.

I read somewhere that Sky had bought a lot of HBO programming and they were planning to show it on Sky 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭SteM

greendom wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Sky had bought a lot of HBO programming and they were planning to show it on Sky 1.

Yeah, had read that too. Hadn't read anything about them adding amc and hbo though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Channel 4 HD would be nice for Sunday Night Football.
    I hope when HBO and AMC launch on Sky they'll be HD.

Are you sure that the actual channels are launching? Sky recently bought the rights to most of their shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

HBO and AMC are tied up to provide content not channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

Paddy C wrote: »
    Well, the final two channels on that transponder are currently in the process of moving elsewhere, leaving an entire transponder on 2D free. What will it be used for? We will find out very soon I'm sure, I'm just hoping it's for all the Channel 5 regions and FIVE USA, FIVER and their +1's.

Just curious, how do you know the other channels on that transponder are moving??? Have they begun testing elsewhere????

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Which transponder has been freed up (or wil be freed up)?

Tests for FX+1 and At The Races are currently on other transponders, which only happens when they are actually moving, they should be moved by the start of next week, leaving the transponder empty. It will either switch to DVB-S2 and house some HD channels or it will swop with another transponder to free up space elsewhere to allow more channels to launch. The general idea we seem to be getting is that Channel 5 and it's spinoffs and timeshifts will go onto this 2D transponder and go FTA allowing Sky space to launch some channels which are supposed to be launching in a few weeks, namely ITV 2 HD amongst others which there is currently no room for at the moment.

The transponder that will be freed up is 10.876 V on Astra 2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭denis1501

Can you please let us know which transponders Attheraces and FX+1 are testing on?? Especially Attheraces!
    regards
    D.

12.148 H - 5402 (Test for FX+)
    12.304 H - 9360 (Test for At The Races)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭DigiDec

Thanks Paddy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

12.148 H - 5402 (Test for FX+)
    12.304 H - 9360 (Test for At The Races)

Are these FTA at the moment or FTV ?

The 2D transponder has been emptied and this morning filled up with 9 test channels.

Going by reports, the test videos are Nickelodeon and Sky Sports Active, so it looks like a 2A transponder is moving on to 2D to allow more HD channels to launch on 2A.

No FIVE USA or FIVER yet folks... we'll just have to wait longer.

No FIVE USA or FIVER yet folks... we'll just have to wait longer.

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that Sky will put FTA channels on one of it's transponders or even give up their lease on it so Freesat can put those channels up, that's not how Sky operates...

Oh, I know, but I was thinking that Channel 5 may have requested this as a stipulation of them entering a contract with Sky to set up and run Channel 5 HD, they would only do it if they could let their other channels go FTA on satellite as they are looking to get them on to Freesat at some point when space is found on 2D. Same with Channel 4 HD too.

UPDATE:
    There are now 19 channels on this transponder
    11 are encrypted and appear to be Sky sports active programming
    4 are encrypted and are the Nick set of kids channels
    4 are in the clear but blank at the moment so still interesting to see what these will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

subscribed.

Hopefully will be something decent and fta in those 4 slots

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

mullingar wrote: »
    subscribed.

Hopefully will be something decent and fta in those 4 slots

The bit rate will be very low though!

See ads on Sky now for ITV2hd, wonder what transponder they'l use for that,we don't actually need this channel in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

See ads on Sky now for ITV2hd, wonder what transponder they'l use for that,we don't actually need this channel in HD.

From~:
    http://corporate.sky.com/media/press_releases/2010/ITV_to_launch_high_definition_digital_channels_on_Sky.htm
    ITV to launch high definition digital channels on Sky

ITV has agreed a pay-television deal with Sky to launch high definition versions of its successful digital channels as a subscription service on the Sky platform.

ITV2 HD, ITV3 HD, and ITV4 HD will launch as part of Sky+HD’s subscription package of channels in autumn 2010. The channels will be available to all homes subscribing to a Sky+HD subscription, of which there are more than 2.9 million.
    ITV2 HD will launch in October for the start of The Xtra Factor, with ITV3 HD and ITV4 HD launching shortly after. ............................................................

So subscription only....... (Not ftv)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

mullingar wrote: »

No word on whether the non HD ITV channels will move to the EPG

Advertisement