Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do people still dump dogs all the time?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

You can tell a lot about a persons character by the way they treat animals. Long story short, stay away from people who are cruel to animals.

What a load of boll*x.
    What sort of thing is that to say?

I'm not much of an animal lover but I'm not someone to "stay away from" cos of it.

God almighty... some pet owners are just weird, do you call your doggie baby names? Do you dress him up in Santa hats at Christmas? Do you laugh and go "oh he's so funny", as he rips chunks out of the postmans leg instead of ya know, helping the guy?

Seriously... they are animals! No, I don't think cruelty is good. It's not, there's no need to be going making animals suffer needlessly or anything like that but saying everyone who is not an animal person is a bad person and needs to be stayed clear of? God almighty... join the real world dude. Actually, no, don't, keep avoiding me, I don't want to know you.

I've been bitten and scratched by many a dog as their owners look on going "He's so cute, ah he's fine, he won't touch ya".
    Or have them tear up my garden, ****eing all over my garden, my drive, my park, etc... Fine, animal cruelty is bad but if a human did any of that they'd get more than my boot up their ass, a dog doing the same can count himself lucky to only get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Copper23 wrote: »
    What a load of boll*x.

I'm not much of an animal lover but I'm not someone to "stay away from" cos of it.

God almighty... some pet owners are just weird, do you call your doggie baby names? Do you dress him up in Santa hats at Christmas? Do you laugh and go "oh he's so funny", as he rips chunks out of the postmans leg instead of ya know, helping the guy?

Seriously... they are animals! No, I don't think cruelty is good. It's not, there's no need to be going making animals suffer needlessly or anything like that but saying everyone who is not an animal person is a bad person and needs to be stayed clear of? God almighty... join the real world dude. Actually, no, don't, keep avoiding me, I don't want to know you.

I've been bitten and scratched by many a dog as their owners look on going "He's so cute, ah he's fine, he won't touch ya".
    Or have them tear up my garden, ****eing all over my garden, my drive, my park, etc... Fine, animal cruelty is bad but if a human did any of that they'd get more than my boot up their ass, a dog doing the same can count himself lucky to only get that.

Em, its wrong to be cruel to animals.
    It's also wrong of pet owners to allow their animals to attack other people.

There's no contradiction between those statements. Who are arguing with? Why are you posting here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

To be honest, its better than the unwnted offspring being dumped in a river.

A strange coincidence, but that's happened in these parts with a human offspring:eek:

The distraught girl obviously decided to give the vet a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

What a load of boll*x.

jesus dude. i think that poster was specifically talking about people who were 'cruel' to animals - not someone who's door got shat on by the neighbours poodle.

fine rant though, tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I think dogs being dumped has gone up a bit recently because people can't afford to look after them much any more, there's definitely more horses and donkeys being dumped anyway, just left at roadsides.

All our dogs have been from the pound or strays who just turn up, a stray greyhound turned up at our house a few years but we couldn't keep her because our other dogs were trying to rip to shreds!
    The animal shelter rang us when she'd been re-homed anyway, only a week later someone took her in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

He said avoid people who are CRUEL to animals, not people who don't like animals, there's a world of difference!! I don't call my dog my baby by the way, he's my dog, I'm not his mummy and I don't celebrate his birthday or buy him silly outfits. But I love him loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    He said avoid people who are CRUEL to animals, not people who don't like animals, there's a world of difference!! I don't call my dog my baby by the way, he's my dog, I'm not his mummy and I don't celebrate his birthday or buy him silly outfits. But I love him loads.

You know, I don't think Copper23 can hear you, he's busy misreading what people have written and writing hyperbolicaly vitriolic rants (I don't know if those are correctly sppppelled or even real words but I enjoyed typing them:D). Anywho Copper23 is obviously a child hater too, I've read that in his post (well that's what I decided he wrote) and he wants to kill all children too, the sicko.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If we used half the money spent caring for lost pets on real problems we could vastly improve our extremely importantly mental healthcare system. But we throw it away on lost puppies because we think they're cute. It's utterly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Confab wrote: »
    If we used half the money spent caring for lost pets on real problems we could vastly improve our extremely importantly mental healthcare system. But we throw it away on lost puppies because we think they're cute. It's utterly stupid.

You're incorrect Sir, we spend a tiny amount of money on caring for animals that scummy humans have abandoned. Less than 100k a year in fact goes to DSPCA, all other shelters get less than 10k per year, any other money is spent on pounds were animals are killed so not an extravagence by any stretch. I agree with you on mental health issues (they are an utter disgrace) but I think the money should come from sorting out the social welfare system and making sure the money is going to the people actually in need (and entitled) and not people fraudulently claiming, we're hemorrhaging millions by giving it to greedy f*ckers, take it off them, not innocent animals that have been completey wronged already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Surely you'd have to eat a dog before you dumped it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

curlzy wrote: »
    You're incorrect Sir, we spend a tiny amount of money on caring for animals that scummy humans have abandoned. Less than 100k a year in fact goes to DSPCA, all other shelters get less than 10k per year, any other money is spent on pounds were animals are killed so not an extravagence by any stretch. I agree with you on mental health issues (they are an utter disgrace) but I think the money should come from sorting out the social welfare system and making sure the money is going to the people actually in need (and entitled) and not people fraudulently claiming, we're hemorrhaging millions by giving it to greedy f*ckers, take it off them, not innocent animals that have been completey wronged already.

I'm talking about what the charities earn, not what the government gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

What a load of boll*x.

Nah its you thats talking utter bollox.

Its very true. Someone who takes pleasure in causing harm to animals is fcuking weird. There are serious problems deep down in the brain. Something that has happened or is happening to the person is triggering such physcopathic behaviour.

If i had a dog & it was given a kick by someone because it went for a crap where it shouldn't have, i'd return the gesture. Return to sender.;)

Taking a hose to a dog because its sh!tting in your garden, yeah thats fair enough. Lace the garden with pepper. Inflicting a serious injury...nah thats cowardly & would say a lot about such a person. Its a dumb animal, its not deliberately trying to upset someone.

Focking hell, some people's logic.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

What a load of boll*x.

Read my post again then dum dum. I said and I quote "stay away from people who are cruel to animals". And yes you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat their animals. The animal is completely at their mercy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

a car pulled up in our village once when i was a kid. group of us were playing when a car just pulled up, door opened and an almost fully grown dog was f'ucked out on the road.

the poor dog chased the car until he was out of site. i remember, even as an 8 y/o, how sad that sight was.

That actually gave me a sick feeling in the gut.

I've two dogs, a Pitbull & a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Their more loyal & trusting than any human I've ever met.

We're like three mates :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

NothingMan wrote: »
    And then you have people like my sister paying €400 for a fúckin ****zu!

Heh. The word censor strikes again.

A friend of my cousin found a dog lying on the road a few weeks ago.
    She was malnourished and could barely stand.

My cousin decided to take the dog in. Took her to the vet. She had an abcess in one of her teeth, which led to an infection in her eye. For the first week, the dog threw up everything she ate.
    She has arthritis in her back legs.
    Saw the dog for the first time today, and nearly cried. The poor thing is so skinny and can hardly walk.
    I don't know how anyone can leave an animal in that state.

I'll be up there tomorrow and take some pics if I remember. It's heartbreaking looking at her. She doesn't bark or anything. Just slowly follows people around the house, unless they are smoking. Then she backs away.
    She'll allow you to pet her, but barely reacts when you do.

Oh yeah. In another fine example of her brilliantly dark humour, my godchild named the dog "Lucky".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I'm talking about what the charities earn, not what the government gives.

I give to animal charities and guess what? It's none of your goddamn business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I can see why people dump Jack Russells though, horrible mutant little f**kers, they give dogs in general, a bad name. I've never met one with a redeeming feature.

I'd give money to animal charities before I'd give to human ones any day of the week, at least i'd have the choice, so much of our taxes are already spent healthcare with very little value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Surely you'd have to eat a dog before you dumped it?

Or you can eat a dog that someone else has dumped.

edit-> sorry, thought this was bargain alerts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I can see why people dump Jack Russells though, horrible mutant little f**kers, they give dogs in general, a bad name. I've never met one with a redeeming feature.

HEY! I have 3 Jack Russells and they are the most loving and softest dogs in the world. Do not write off an entire breed just cus you have had a bad experience with one or 2 of them. If I did that I would say all Labs should be got rid off as they can be awful and for some reason take an instant dislike to my Springer and attack him:(

• Advertisement

I'd give money to animal charities before I'd give to human ones any day of the week, at least i'd have the choice, so much of our taxes are already spent healthcare with very little value for money.

Honestly?
    Would you save an animal rather than a human?

Don't get me wrong, my house is nearly a petting zoo at this stage with all the animals, I love them, but if I had to choose which to save I'd choose a human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

start of 2007 when a new housing estate was opened in monard, county tipp.. a local farmer left a young dog off, whenever i would visit the estate ,i would feed him and gradually everyone got to know the dog, he was fed from different houses and the dog became a local celebrity in his own right , he even has a bebo page !

well the dog warden took him recently and the residents got together and brought him back, so now the dog has a new kennel and a dog license...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arsg27m8Pzc

http://o.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=10703826050

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

go on admit it...we'll go easy!
    Speak for yourself.
    You'd have to be a pretty cold fish to be able to do that.

storm2811 wrote: »
    Honestly?

Don't get me wrong, my house is nearly a petting zoo at this stage with all the animals, I love them, but if I had to choose which to save I'd choose a human.

Depends on the human, I know of lots of dogs i'd save over lots of humans.

HEY! I have 3 Jack Russells and they are the most loving and softest dogs in the world. Do not write off an entire breed just cus you have had a bad experience with one or 2 of them. If I did that I would say all Labs should be got rid off as they can be awful and for some reason take an instant dislike to my Springer and attack him:(

Without exception, every single JR i've ever come across have been awful things, aggressive, big egos and generally anti-social. I'd have no problem shooting every last one of the f**kers, and I mean that respectively....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Angry emo got sent to bed early.^

:mad: - "i hate everything" - :mad:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

storm2811 wrote: »
    Honestly?

I've come across some humans who's life I wouldn't value above the bottom feeders in my aqarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

anniehoo wrote: »
    Im actually ashamed that we supposedly call ourselves a nation of animal lovers.

Ah, this old chestnut! Ireland is not a nation of animal lovers, you're thinking of that other island to the east. Ireland is the country where a video of a lady throwing a cat in a bin would be treated as the "and finally...." story at the end of the bulletin, not the lead story with death threats!

People shouldn't dump dogs, in fact I think people should leave animals alone altogether - apart from for food, many are quite tasty. The idea of having a pet is a little bizarre to me, much like throwing a leash on a bee. Of course the pet will seem like they love you - you're a reliable source of food and shelter. But love, companionship and charity are all human emotions. If you lay dead in your house for a few days, your dog will not stand steadfast at your side with their tummy grumbling, they WILL eat your face and other chewy bits.

So my take on it would be don't be cruel to what are essentially living creatures but equally, don't ever choose animal over human charity.

Depends on the human, I know of lots of dogs i'd save over lots of humans.
    I've come across some humans who's life I wouldn't value above the bottom feeders in my aqarium.

Ah yeah, the person would still have be really bad though.
    If it was just by chance though, say a dog and a man were going to fall off a cliff and you could only save one, I'd save the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

JayeL wrote: »
    Ah, this old chestnut! Ireland is not a nation of animal lovers, you're thinking of that other island to the east. Ireland is the country where a video of a lady throwing a cat in a bin would be treated as the "and finally...." story at the end of the bulletin, not the lead story with death threats!

People shouldn't dump dogs, in fact I think people should leave animals alone altogether - apart from for food, many are quite tasty. The idea of having a pet is a little bizarre to me, much like throwing a leash on a bee. Of course the pet will seem like they love you - you're a reliable source of food and shelter. But love, companionship and charity are all human emotions. If you lay dead in your house for a few days, your dog will not stand steadfast at your side with their tummy grumbling, they WILL eat your face and other chewy bits.

So my take on it would be don't be cruel to what are essentially living creatures but equally, don't ever choose animal over human charity.

Who died and made you chief animal psychologist?

Advertisement