Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do people still dump dogs all the time?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

They never call, they never write. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

chin_grin wrote: »
    They never call, they never write. :(

they've an opposable thumbs issue. however, that's no excuse for not calling :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

now would be the time to make a comment about breaking up with unattractive women, if one were so inclined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

No But a dog dumped in my garden

I want to Dump on the Dog

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Some people are ignorant, inconsiderate, pricks. Happens all the time. And a lot worse. The recent Dublin animal torture for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

People do it here all the time. Quebec is the puppy mill capital of North America :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

You can tell a lot about a persons character by the way they treat animals. Long story short, stay away from people who are cruel to animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

go on admit it...we'll go easy!
    Go easy??!!!You must be joking.:mad: We have a ridiculously high abandonment rate for dogs, even worse than the UK.
    wrote:
    Recent figures from the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government show that over 24,000 dogs were
    abandoned in Ireland in 2006, and twice as many dogs were put to sleep as were re-homed.

Ireland puts down dogs at a rate 10 times higher than in the UK, a country 10 times the size of Ireland. Additionally, twothirds
    of all unwanted dogs are put to sleep, most of them perfectly healthy because no one was available or willing to
    adopt them.
    Link:

Im actually ashamed that we supposedly call ourselves a nation of animal lovers. Pounds, shelters and rescue centres are full to the brim with dogs that are no longer wanted. It makes my blood boil. And...the province with the worse percentage of animals pts is Leinster.

a car pulled up in our village once when i was a kid. group of us were playing when a car just pulled up, door opened and an almost fully grown dog was f'ucked out on the road.

the poor dog chased the car until he was out of site. i remember, even as an 8 y/o, how sad that sight was.

the dog arrived back the next day and a neighbour took him in. he was a fairly cool dog actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

You can tell a lot about a persons character by the way they treat animals. Long story short, stay away from people who are cruel to animals.

that is sooooo true! :D

• Advertisement

anniehoo wrote: »
    Go easy??!!!You must be joking.:mad:

i would have thought that was obvious seeing as how i called the guy in the vid a prick:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Long story short, stay away from people who are cruel to animals.

Somebody should tell the animals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

And then you have people like my sister paying €400 for a fúckin ****zu! I don't get it. I'd love a husky, but there's no way I'd pay for a dog when there's hundreds of amazing muts in the pounds waiting for a good home.

We always had dogs growing up and most of them were rescued or given from a litter. The dog I grew up with was a springer spaniel that my dads boss used to hunt, that dog wouldn't hunt so he was going to shoot it until my dad took it home. I miss Scrappy :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I always thought they were sent to happy farms with their new families

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

I volunteer at a dog shelter, the majority of people leave in stray dogs but sometimes people leave dogs outside the gates for us to find or throw them in over the fence :(

NothingMan wrote: »
    I miss Scrappy :(.

i do to...

...they never should have cancelled that programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I couldn't imagine dumping my dog somewhere it's a horrible thing. I wouldn't even be able to sell a dog for money but dumping one wow some people have no heart whatsoever :mad:

Somebody should tell the animals
    If the animals reply back to you, ya might have a wee problem.

If the animals reply back to you, ya might have a wee problem.

What, like I might piss myself?

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    I always thought they were sent to happy farms with their new families

Nah thats what deeply ignorant simple-folk tell their kids before they throw them in a bag & chuck it in a river. And pretend not to enjoy it. Weirdos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,015 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The local inbreds are always dumping pregnant cats and bitches on our vet neighbour's door-step, before disappearing into the sunset.:(

NothingMan wrote: »
    And then you have people like my sister paying €400 for a fúckin ****zu! I don't get it. I'd love a husky, but there's no way I'd pay for a dog when there's hundreds of amazing muts in the pounds waiting for a good home.

We always had dogs growing up and most of them were rescued or given from a litter. The dog I grew up with was a springer spaniel that my dads boss used to hunt, that dog wouldn't hunt so he was going to shoot it until my dad took it home. I miss Scrappy :(.
    Mutts are usually smarter and healthier due to stronger genetics.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The local inbreds are always dumping pregnant cats and bitches on our vet neighbour's door-step, before disappearing into the sunset.:(

To be honest, its better than the unwnted offspring being dumped in a river.

What, like I might piss myself?
    Dont know bout you but id piss myself if my dog started talkin to me.

Dont know bout you but id piss myself if my dog started talkin to me.

Woof ! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

they've an opposable thumbs issue. however, that's no excuse for not calling :mad:

Eh? You trying dialing with a paw, really difficult on a touch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

What's the law on this issue does anybody know? Are these thoughtless p***ks ever prosecuted?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

though the fact this is so prevalent proves Robert Hare's view is ill-founded. Otherwise we would have far more people locked up for inflicting violence on other people. I know a guy who has in the past dumped pups in the local river, yet he is the kind of guy that would do anything for you. So perhaps it's ignorance- the view animals are not worth of equal consideration- rather than malice in some cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Personally I think people that are cruel to animals should be used to feed the lions in the zoo, or the bears maybe. Honestly though I always think the people that are cruel to animals really are the biggest losers, can you imagine being so thoroughly pathetic (cat in bin woman) or sick (puppies in river girl) as to be cruel to something that's completely at your mercy, something that will love you and be loyal to you forever if given the chance? Their minds must be nasty and dark places.:(

• Advertisement

I've never understood how people could do things like that, maybe that's just because I've never not had a dog throughout my entire life and the thought of being cruel to one in any way deeply saddens me because the poor things rely on the owner and can become faithfully attached to you even if you're not treating them the best, but that's just their nature and they can't help it.
    Sometimes though I think the animal is probably better off after being dumped (when it does get rescued) because it's getting away from the ill-treatment it was more than likely receiving with the previous "owner" but it still doesn't excuse it. Fair enough sometimes people can get lumped with animals they don't want through a family death or something similar, but they should be responsible about it and look to rehome it properly. It doesn't take much to stick an ad in a local paper saying "family pet needing new home due to unforseen circumstances" or something along those lines. Not just dumping it by the side of the road or in a field :mad:

Advertisement