Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking Habits

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I'm an alcoholic
    Im strictly a weekend drinker.

Nothing to do with wanting to be healthier or anything. It just facilitates my need to look down on people who drink during the week. You vile bunch, its a matter of time till you end up on the street suckin on cheap wine in your grubby cardboard boxes.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

a bottle of wine a night

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

small amount every night
    Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Crap poll.

There's no "small amount the odd night" option, so I can't vote.

And what does "weekends only" mean ? Small amount @ weekends, moderate amount @ weekends, or "I'm one of those idiots who goes out and gets ratarsed" ?
    It means I drink only at the weekends. Everyone else seemed to be able to grasp that. A bit slow are we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Aidric wrote: »
    How would you describe your current drinking habits, on average? Answers will of course be somewhat reflective of age I guess.

No option for a few pints every 3 or 4 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Mainly just an all day Saturday drinker now, the odd Friday night too!

Up til about a year ago it was Wed, Thurs, Fri night in pub and all day Saturday. The odd Sunday afternoon drink also. I've cut right back and feel much the better for it healthwise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I'm an alcoholic
    Aidric wrote: »
    It means I drink only at the weekends. Everyone else seemed to be able to grasp that. A bit slow are we?

This thread is like a night out drinking. We're all nice and polite, making quips at the start. Then it starts to get ratty :P

Yooooor me bess paall.....wha do yer mean by tha'? Yuuu don know meeee.......ah c'mere aiiii love ya to bitssss

Drinking is all fun and games til the taco fries you had on the way home kick in the next day!

Me arse ends up looking like an angry dot!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Used to drink most days a week but not only really do it friday, saterday & sunday, the odd thursday here and there and I will be enjoying a few scoops to celebrate arthurs day this thursday I'm sure, any excuse for a few ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'm an alcoholic
    I don't drink anymore.

I don't drink any less either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I like how I've only got a choice between "small amounts most nights" and "I don't drink".

So, for the record, not being Irish I never experience the "binge drinking stage", and looking around myself on a Saturday night, I would guess I didn't miss much and saved a sh1tload of money.
    In my late teens and throughout my twenties, I would go out most weekends, either Friday or Saturday, rarely both. I guess I averaged about 2 to 3 pints an evening.
    I never drank at home, unless I had guests.

These days, I might have a small drink now and again, maybe two a month, possibly less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm an alcoholic
    I don't really drink too much, and when i do its not much, except the rare time I'll go for a a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭flyton5

Maybe one or two beers every night. Cant remember the last time I didnt have a beer at night. Probably months ago. But it's good beer. Beers of the world. None of your Heineken or Budweiser ****e...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A bottle of wine and one or two cans most nights

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm an alcoholic
    What's the point of drinking unless you get drunk?
    It's like eating without getting full.

I'm a weekend in the pubs guy, never drink in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I went for ' I don't drink' because there's no option for 'I rarely drink'.

I went through the usual hammered-all-the-time phase in college, then switched to hammered-most-weekends after college. These days the shine has worn off the booze somewhat. Buying it is expensive, getting home afterward is expensive, and I can't handle being in bits for 2 days afterward any more. I drank for the first time in months last weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I started of some nights then went to most nights then went to all weekends & most nights, then went to any time i could, then thankfully i stoped drinking in 2008 & started having my life back,but i am still just one drink away from being that alcoholic again.:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

hmm, no option for less than weekly?
    Too weekends in a row is a lot of me, there can be months in between.
    I never drank when I was younger. And after I was 18 and tried it a bit, I just found it overrated.
    Only nice thing is having a nice relaxed atmosphere with friends... and theres no real reason drinking should be necessary for that..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Noodleworm wrote: »
    hmm, no option for less than weekly?
    Too weekends in a row is a lot of me, there can be months in between.
    I never drank when I was younger. And after I was 18 and tried it a bit, I just found it overrated.
    Only nice thing is having a nice relaxed atmosphere with friends... and theres no real reason drinking should be necessary for that..

Agreed! Although I can't stick being around people when they are drunk and I am sober. Funny enough it wasn't as big of a problem until I started to drink a bit myself. I might drink once a month. Sometimes I might push it and drink twice a month.

I much prefer going on a couple holidays a year or going to sports events or gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I binge drink
    Hit it maybe twice a month. But drink enough to drown a fish.

Although this month I've been drunk 6 times in 3 weeks. Thats loads for me.

On the dry for the next few weeks now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

i only drink in pubs, drinking at home on your own,.........

No thanks....

Never understood people who don't drink at home. I have a wine rack with about 80 bottles of red and white in it. I have a storage room with several crates of different German and Czech Pilsners and a few bottles of spirits in the house. If I want to crack a beer or a wine open and quaff it down with a snack or a cigarette in front of the TV I'm gonna do it. I'm not going to walk round the corner to the fücking bar just to buy a glass of their sh!t plonk or overpriced lager.
    Sure I'll go to the tavern to get pissed up and meet friends, but to not enjoy a frosty beer at home while watching a good flick?

Does not compute.

• Advertisement

I'm an alcoholic
    kfallon wrote: »
    Me arse ends up looking like an angry dot!!!

:pac:

or the Japanese flag :p

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm an alcoholic
    Only on the weekends, and only maybe one weekend a month. Not to bothered sometimes TBH.

Feeona wrote: »
    :pac:

or the Japanese flag :p

Or a chewed orange :pac:

I'm an alcoholic
    kfallon wrote: »
    Or a chewed orange :pac:

That's great....orange straight in the bin :(

:p

Feeona wrote: »
    That's great....orange straight in the bin :(

:p

:D

Back on topic, I never drink at home now, went thru a rough period of it a few years ago and swore to never do it again!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Never understood people who don't drink at home. I have a wine rack with about 80 bottles of red and white in it. I have a storage room with several crates of different German and Czech Pilsners and a few bottles of spirits in the house. If I want to crack a beer or a wine open and quaff it down with a snack or a cigarette in front of the TV I'm gonna do it. I'm not going to walk round the corner to the fücking bar just to buy a glass of their sh!t plonk or overpriced lager.
    Sure I'll go to the tavern to get pissed up and meet friends, but to not enjoy a frosty beer at home while watching a good flick?

Does not compute.

Well, to me drinking is a social activity.
    No social aspect, no point in drinking for me.

I usually have a pint or two when I go out with friends, or when we have people over, but there's just no appeal to drink when I'm by myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

small amount every night
    Good man Jackie B!

I'm definitely in agreement with your way of thinking. Just counted my wine last night, 141 bottles!

Though my beer selection is severely limited for the moment, for shame, I live in Belgium!

Alcohol is a wonderful drink which should be enjoyed with or without a social aspect. A good film, bitta sport, friends, partner, dinner, lunch, whatever.

I find it far more odd for those that form an intrinsic link between sociality and alcohol, it creates some sort of dependent relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

only a couple on sunday night now compared to most nights a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I'm an alcoholic
    Never understood people who don't drink at home.

It depends on what you can afford. I would say i drink mostly at home because my budget simply can not sustain drinking in pubs every weekend. Not a chance. I might go to the pub twice a month at most.

It'll set you back 20 euros for a few pints in a pub. If you head in town, that triples at least. Taxi in, pub, club (club entry fee & inflated nightclub drink prices), food, taxi home. Don't think ive ever headed out for a booze-up & spent less than 60 euros. I know some people who regularly spend over 100 euros on one night out. Good for them, they can afford it.

Having a few drinks at home with a friend, some snacks & a dvd or the oul xbox can cost as little as 20 euros. Sometimes drinking at home makes sense. Depends on your circumstances.

Also, some people are terrified of being alone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I have one or two once a month or so. It used to be a lot less frequent but a cocktail with dinner is quite nice :)
    As long as I don't get tipsy or anything it's all good
    But I do hate the taste of most drinks anyway

Advertisement