Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drinking Habits

Options
  • 20-09-2010 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭

I, like many others I'm sure have gone through many phases of drinking. I went through the regular binge drinking phase for a lot of college, progressed to the getting sloshed every weekend phase through the early to mid twenties. Now in my late twenties I drink in moderation, albeit regularly enough. I'd have a bottle or two of beer or glass of wine at home most nights kicking back but I might only go out two weekends in a month or if there is an occasion. Even at that I wouldn't be necking 'em like I used to.

How would you describe your current drinking habits, on average? Answers will of course be somewhat reflective of age I guess.

How would you describe your current drinking habits? 163 votes

small amount most nights
    0%
    small amount every night
    15%
    FunkfieldKilOitJohnny_Trotterenda1Aln_Sbrian_rbkDominoDubLuxieSelothrgt320qmahamageehadJev/NCookie_MonstermikompearliefanAidric1mcampo1Hank_Jones3hn2givr7mx1scBuford T Justice 26 votes
    weekends only
    5%
    dr.bollockoartanevillaChicken RunRubyKdrakshugbryaner-Corkie-RootXSaganist 9 votes
    I'm an alcoholic
    66%
    --Kaiser--Lex_DiamondsbyteomahaidCrucifixtuxyrainbow kirbyErinGoBrathjam_mac_jamJohnnyrazWibbsxzantiDavei141bikoThomas_S_HuntersongustavoUp de BarrsLux23Rented Muledeise_boi 108 votes
    I don't drink
    12%
    Terryorourkedacgordonfreemanstovelidgent9662qwertplaywertNiall09Pingu-DSRFC90Big NastyI-Shot-Jrya-ba-da-ba-dooDostoevsky[Deleted User]corridon69Midnight_EGscientific1982DOC09UNAMUriel.Tender Hoop 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Crap poll. There's no option for large amount couple of nights a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I don't drink
    Sheeps wrote: »
    Crap poll. There's no option for large amount couple of nights a week.

Alcoholic?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's no "I'm an alcoholic but not yet ready to admit it on a forum" option

Fail :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Uriel. wrote: »
    Alcoholic?

No, you can drink a lot of alcohol with out being an addict.

I don't drink
    Mostly weekends and perhaps one night a week.

Only thing is, when I drink.. I generally tend to REALLY drink!

I go through phases though, mightn't touch a drop in months on end. It all depends how my social life is going. I don't tend to drink at home unless there are friends/family over.

I have been going out an awful loooot lately, so much going on... so for the past 2 months or so I probably qualify as being an alcoholic. I'll be a pioneer when the social life settles down again probably. :)

• Advertisement

I don't drink
    Sheeps wrote: »
    No, you can drink a lot of alcohol with out being an addict.

Unless you're in denial and don't recognise your dependence! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

small amount every night
    There's no "I'm an alcoholic but not yet ready to admit it on a forum" option

Fail :pac:
    How are those AA meetings going?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't drink
    Hi! My name is Terry and I'm an alcoholic.

I've been drunk for about 350 nights over the past year. I like to break stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I'm an alcoholic
    Your not an alcoholic until youre drinking mouthwash and nail polish remover.

. . . that you've shoplifted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I get really hammered around twice a week in the pub and then 3 days/nights of the week i either have 1 or 2 bottles of wine or a 8 pack of Beamish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

weekends only
    I have a drink every night. Usually about 4 pints minimum. I like it.

I go to work, help the kids with their homework, do all the usual stuff, live my life and have a bevvy every night. Been doing that for all my adult life and I am not an alkie. Then again it is normal where I come from.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Closest option is I don't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'm an alcoholic
    i only drink in pubs, drinking at home on your own,.........

No thanks....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Go out drinking about once a month at this stage...really have to start getting a life:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm an alcoholic
    I wonder where the inspiration for this thread came from?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

small amount every night
    I wonder where the inspiration for this thread came from?
    I can assure you that wasn't the inspiration.

*although subconsciously maybe, hhhhmmmm*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

One night in the pub most weeks, more than one night a week would be a rarity for me and I'm not at all able for two nights in a row. When I go out though, I can get quite drunk (not every single time but quite a lot of the time - I never mix drinks though, vodka and diet Coke only) and I generally wouldn't stay in by choice on a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I'm an alcoholic
    I'm a heavy weekday drinker, not every weekday, but it is when I drink most often.

Probably be classed as a drunkard, but not an alcoholic! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

small amount every night
    Oh the joy of being a student

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

I'm an alcoholic
    Poll should have included a Toiseach-related option. No one ever considers na Taoisigh! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm an alcoholic
    I'd have the odd drink during the week and during the weekend at home but would mainly go out at the weekends for a few drinks. Don't go out every weekend but go out what ever weekend I can manage. Maybe once a week sometimes or say every once every two weekends or say once or twice in a given month depends.

I don't drink
    I love Velvet Sky (on the right).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm an alcoholic
    I drink a pint of heroin every afternoon at about 3pm.

I don't drink
    I drink a pint of heroin every afternoon at about 3pm.
    Nice one.
    I drink about a pint of heroine* every Friday.
    Her name is Ming Lee.

*Misused words on boards thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'm an alcoholic
    I was drinking about 5/6 nights a week till I started working, now that I'm working I can't afford to....
    Somethings not right there.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I'm an alcoholic
    Reccomended drinking guidelines annoy me.

They seem to think alcohol is some sort of tasty drink people want to enjoy like a cup of tea and ignore the fact that many/most people (myself included) instead see it as a drug they take to help them forget their troubles and enjoy themselves for a short while.

I'd be inclined to think it's easier to avoid addiction with sporadic binge drinking than regular drinking, even if it's in smaller amounts. Therefore, even though it's less healthy i actually think it's the more resposible way of drinking (unless you drink to excess. A technical "binge" is not "in excess" for most guys).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

small amount every night
    I used to binge drink a brutal amount twice a week. Now I'm heading towards thirty I've swapped to half a bottle of wine or the equivalent three or four nights a week. I hope that's progress, though it does concern one ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I don't drink
    Get sh*tters as often as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Crap poll.

There's no "small amount the odd night" option, so I can't vote.

And what does "weekends only" mean ? Small amount @ weekends, moderate amount @ weekends, or "I'm one of those idiots who goes out and gets ratarsed" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I'm an alcoholic
    can go weeks without a drink, never drink at home and how much i drink on a night out depends who im with

Advertisement