Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terran Vs Zerg... possible whinge-warning....

Options
  • 10-09-2010 10:11pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I dont seem to have a means to defeat a capable Terran player who goes for the MMM (marines, marauders and medivacs) bio-ball approach.

Played my placement games there, lost two to terrans by EXACTLY the same means. (got into Gold though, w00t!)

Standard start, have it down nice, get out some zerglings, find his base, back off from the choke (I'm just checking to see he built it in case he's a n00b :) )

Build lings, get crack, get queen, get hive, get fliers and hydras, die to bioball which rolls in.

I generally have about 30 cracklings, which do some damage but nothing like enough, might have 3 fliers but not enough to kill his 2-3 medivacs, and a handful of hydras which go down like wet paper.

Its ****ing snoreworthy at this stage, the game is descending into a game of chicken as to how much you are willing to sacrafice the economy in mid game to go cheese rushing...

I swear the next Terran I play I'm going to 6 pool the mofo.

Anyone got a suggestion? Banelings?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

TvZ is the matchup people are complaining most about these days. From what I've seen the most effective strategy is to open with speedlings just to protect against early pressure from reapers or whatever, transition into mass mutas which you use to pick off any units/buildings around the edge of his base but not actually engaging his army. You basically want to use them to get complete map control, maybe secure another expansion. Once he sees you going mutas the most likely thing he'll do is mass more marines and less marauders, so you go banelings. Then when you engage you rush in your mix of speedlings/banelings focusing more on getting your banelings into his ball of marines cause if just a couple of them can land that's alot of dead marines. Gotta be careful with your mutas until you land your banes in the marines cause the rines will rip apart the mutas in no time. But once the rines are dead the mutas will be able to clean up pretty much anything that's left.

Mass tanks can be a problem against this since they'll squash all the banes before they get near his army, in this case I'm not sure what the best route to go is. Maybe keep massing mutas with some roaches as a meat shield and trying to keep him contained/discourage him from making any pushes, then secure more expansions and go for ultras.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm not nearly a good enough player to have ever tried anything like this myself, but I've seen in replays smallish groups of banelings make mincemeat of the bio ball.

Also, don't know how it would work against terran but maybe you could go for a mega-nydus approach like this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I'd actually f/e ZvT, get extra queens, drone up to the max, you'll need it. MULEs give terran a 20% eco advantage or so.. Get a roach warren and a few roaches, try and survive the pressure, don't make too many, you need drones more. Positioning is KEY, a lot of reaper users will jump up cliffs... and die, use transfuse if you need to aswell!

Honestly unless they're high diamond, they're not going to be able to put enough pressure on with reapers AND macro very well at the same time. The key thing is not to overract and drone up. You probably need like 150 apm though to macro and micro at the same time. If he goes mass mass reapers, transition into mutas. If he goes mech, wait till his army moves out then run slings into his expo mineral line. You do not face mech headon, that is simply asking to get raped.

Heck, simply a moving your entire army, will get you raped. Zerg need nice concaves and surrounds otherwise, well they die. If you MUST break a tank line, get overlord speed and drop capability. Start dropping banelings onto tanks, or broodlords. Zerg has no cost efficent way to do otherwise since Ultra will get held up by a MM screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 SirJolt

Does the Neural Parasite not destroy Terran bio? I presume they're not going to have ghosts too often against Zerg, which will mean you won't have to play careful with energy and avoiding EMPs. If you can immobilise the bioball and knock down medivacs you should be sitting pretty :)

Banelings are also a force to be reckoned with ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Banelings. lots and lots of banelings. Absolutely kills the MMM ball. The problem you will have is when he backs his bio ball with siege tanks and ironically starts to "creep" towards your base :p. Banelings usually struggle then to do damage.

What I tend to do against decent terran players is go mass ling and mass baneling and try and keep occupied while i rush like a mad yoke to tier 3. If you can get ultralisks out before he masses his thors and siege tanks you should be okay.

If he turtles, let him. There is no effective way to get past a terran wall in. Nydus worms will get shot down and an overlord drop army will likely get shot down on the way if he is turtling heavily. Instead, focus your efforts on taking the rest of the map with hatcheries and creep. Eventually he will run out of minerals and try to expand but by that time you should have total map sight with your creep and overlords.

And I think SirJolt means Fungal growth. Locks the units in place and does damage over time. one of the Infestors special ability. Very useful but they die easily as hell so you have to micro infestors very well in order to get some use out of them. I try to build atleast 4 early on against terran. So use Fungal on a bio ball and if he masses thors, use their neural parasite to take control of a few in an engagement. Can work. A nice harass tactic is to also build 4 or 5 and burrown them to his Mineral line. They can spawn like 20 infested terran from underground and then escape quickly.

• Advertisement

You're 100% right, Fungal Growth/Neural Parasite always get confused, I'm a filthy protoss player, so Zerg spells all blur into one horrifying menagerie D:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

And I think SirJolt means Fungal growth. Locks the units in place and does damage over time. one of the Infestors special ability. Very useful but they die easily as hell so you have to micro infestors very well in order to get some use out of them. I try to build atleast 4 early on against terran. So use Fungal on a bio ball

research burrow...i think infested terrans can be launched while burrowed which is always good cover then a quick pop up behind the distraction and fungal growth.

but burrow is worth picking up if going banelings as when he starts to climb your ramp you have alot of them burrowed just behind him and bring them out to hit the marines from behind roaches/speedlings from the front

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Terran in this matchup as standard should be opening with an offensive reaper push. Oddly enough its the matchup where zerg tend to be defensive.

Reapers early on will put a hault to a fast expansion and do some serious damage. With the nitro pack upgrade reapers completely dominate zerglings.

It very much forces the zerg to go roaches with speed and zerglings with speed.

As a terran player I'm finding zerg very easy.

The only difficulty comes when the zerg player transitions to roaches, but my arrival of marines, marauders and medivacs finishes it of very easily.

My point of concern is that your not encountering reaper trouble, and the amount of terran players not utilising reapers against zerg. It is literally the match winner.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I still need something to take out the medivacs, plus all of this is reactive to counter him, when does T have to react to Zerg??

You have to remember, the ball rolls in at about 6-12 units after I (rush) to tier 2, so there isnt a lot of time for fancy stuff.... getting to Ultralisks (tier3) in order to deal with Tanks (tier 2) is massively imba.

I'm really thinking of playing protoss for a while, I'm sick of being fodder.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    getting to Ultralisks (tier3) in order to deal with Tanks (tier 2) is massively imba.

I'm really thinking of playing protoss for a while, I'm sick of being fodder.

As a 'toss player, you still need tier 3 to beat that bio ball really, whether you go colossus or storms, you're teching a fair way to slap down those early terran pushes.

Of course, forcefield makes it that bit easier to hold them off ;)

• Advertisement

You don't need tier 3 to beat basic MM, if you do, your early game is screwed. To beat the early MM push you can do it with pure zealot/sentry and a stalker or two. Even if he has stim. Split his army/forcefield so he can't run away, if he can't kite zealots will rape his bio ball. This is a good skill to have anyway since you can kite chargelots fairy easy with some timing.

Neo we are talking zerg here over protoss.

I still need something to take out the medivacs, plus all of this is reactive to counter him, when does T have to react to Zerg??

thats the issue with zerg. Of the three sides they are the one that relies most on reacting to their opponents tactics. Terran only needs to react in small amounts while zerg need to shift their entire army to get an advantage over specific builds.

To list of a few things

Hydra's must get the range boost...with that they outrange the ball and can if you use focus fire pick off medivacs fairly quickly and can kite only on creep. You'd use hydra's with a roach/infestor build over a zergling build as the roaches can take the hits and act as a wall between the ball and the hydras while the infestor can trap the ball if its careless with fungle growth or boost the hydra range fire with infested terrans. Continue the tech march up and bring out ultralisks which will end the MMM ball threat and change the game focus to a matter of attrition and map control.

Banelings can slaughter marines which is why they are paired more with a mutalisk build as that is a much more heavy on harrasment and having a fast ground/air force to keep the terran forces back at base or focus on defending their resources/expansions etc. This is more micro heavy and gas heavy with mutalisks needing a 100 gas each. The idea is if your banelings/speedlings kill the marines with a surrond then your mutas can clean up the ball. You need to focus fire the marines first with a surrond or baneling trap then when you know your muta can handle their numbers bring them in finish off marines and kill medivacs and mauraders.

Your biggest risk is as someone outlined earlier the horribly strong reaper opener. I tend to cap his gas to delay it or get a second queen over lings if I didnt cap in time. if I see it is clearly coming and to roaches over lings as reapers cant one shot them and on creep they can chase them off quite easily. But it is very difficult to fight off early reaper. If you see its not coming then expanding quickly is a better to expand early and out eco your opponent. but two queens and roaches can easily fend off reaper and the 2nd queen can be used to boost the creep and then the expansion while roaches can lead into a roach/hydra build.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

So let me get this straight, I have to do all of that while the Terran player just masses MMM , assigns to Ctrl-1 and Attack-Moves the back of my base?? yeah this game is balanced.

Sorry, just got rolled over again by a terran in 7 minutes and cheese rushed by protoss. this game, in 1v1, is very fncked. I'm bitterly disappointed with the balance and the game play, I havent yet had one game (either way) which went to anything like tier 3, its all rush rush rush with the low level troups en masse and its become Excel-In-Space.

DeV.

So let me get this straight, I have to do all of that while the Terran player just masses MMM , assigns to Ctrl-1 and Attack-Moves the back of my base?? yeah this game is balanced.

Sorry, just got rolled over again by a terran in 7 minutes and cheese rushed by protoss. this game, in 1v1, is very fncked. I'm bitterly disappointed with the balance and the game play, I havent yet had one game (either way) which went to anything like tier 3, its all rush rush rush with the low level troups en masse and its become Excel-In-Space.

DeV.

It is going to be like that though, SC1 wasnt balanced over night, it will be a balance feast for a long time.

Sure you just have to see the matchmaking system to understand things need time to pan out. Beta hardly gave them much of an insight into how balanced the game was, its only on mass release, give it a month of games and watch the tournaments and see what needs fixing.

It is not so much Zerg are weak, it is probably terran are overpowered.

I've had two zerg games today as Terran that were a breeze, it will get fixed soon enough I'd say, but the balance has to be so that terran dont start getting ****ed against protoss.

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    It's much harder to defend than attack and as zerg you MUST be cost efficient. Zerg mechanics are brutally uncompromising. If you manage to build drones while defending vs reapers you're doing well. Again, the key is flanking as zerg. You MUST be one base ahead or have some godly one base play to gain map control. You MUST make the opponent afraid to step out of his base. There was a good post on TL about the evolution of playstyles, we're starting to see more f/e styles but as terran you can put immense pressure while keeping your eco strong and FEing.

Sauron zerg playstyle is probably the best, that is defending multiple bases with the bare minimum then bam, an army and roll over the terran.

Your statement about MMM and 1a2a3a is probably apt for lower levels of play but at higher levels this gets punished, hard. MMM is powerful because it is mobile! Though thanks to the marauder it isn't as fragile, you need infestors so they don't kite or map control. Get upgrades!

I need to emphasize this, you need MAP control as zerg, if you see him moving out, run slings into his base. Playing zerg is rather like guerilla warfare, if you meet him on anywhere near equal terms, you're probably doing something wrong.

DeV.

well I put up two flows not one whole.

you dont go muta and hydra

its one or the other.

Muta is much more gas centric and is much more focused on a player who is comfortable in map control and map awareness which at the moment with the op reaper (which is being nerfed) is rarer. You would more likely go mutaling against protoss then terran.

Hydraroach is for someone who is less gas focused (75 gas for hydra and roach while 100 for 1 muta) and might be one basing. This is where you intend to to micro an army and push and shove his back and forth. Allows you to drop quick expansion to saturate minerals behind the line or an in base hatch to up the numbers.

it also effects where you intend to fight. Mutaling is useless at most chokepoints unless you threw in banelings aswell as you need the surrond. While hydraroach benefits alot more from a choke cause they are all ranged and an upgraded hydra can outrange marines with groove spikes upgrade. Which with the high ground at base choke points helps alot and throw in that a roach can take a fair few hits they can block the choke and cover for the hydra.

The advtange of mutaling is the speed you can hit back if you win a battle, you can go straight into a base harrasment with them at high speed putting the terran on the back foot. While the hydraroach is much slower.

One tip I recently heard on a youtube video somewhere cant remember which one is that with zerg every battle won you should move forward in some form, either expand, move up map control or make a big tech jump. Getting in the habit of reaching out after every battle really puts terrans on the backfoot.

It's much harder to defend than attack and as zerg you MUST be cost efficient. Zerg mechanics are brutally uncompromising. If you manage to build drones while defending vs reapers you're doing well. Again, the key is flanking as zerg. You MUST be one base ahead or have some godly one base play to gain map control. You MUST make the opponent afraid to step out of his base. There was a good post on TL about the evolution of playstyles, we're starting to see more f/e styles but as terran you can put immense pressure while keeping your eco strong and FEing.

Sauron zerg playstyle is probably the best, that is defending multiple bases with the bare minimum then bam, an army and roll over the terran.

Your statement about MMM and 1a2a3a is probably apt for lower levels of play but at higher levels this gets punished, hard. MMM is powerful because it is mobile! Though thanks to the marauder it isn't as fragile, you need infestors so they don't kite or map control. Get upgrades!

I need to emphasize this, you need MAP control as zerg, if you see him moving out, run slings into his base. Playing zerg is rather like guerilla warfare, if you meet him on anywhere near equal terms, you're probably doing something wrong.

Thats all good advice but the games are not getting past tier 1 significantly, he need 3 fliers from Tier2 (medivacs) and its over. I cant stop him getting the ball together because of the choke point, cant rush air because I have to defend against an 8 marine rush usually which can often kill me, or make me choose between army and eco (a decision he doesnt have to make because he has two buildings which produce troups to my one, which is also limited in production!)

I just dont see where Zerg gets an advantage these days to make up for the restrictions. eg:

Toss: summons building with drone, walks away
    Terran: builds building with drone, but can queue up several.
    Zerg: Drone *dies*, so every game is like having had your supply line attacked and losing 3-4 drones.

Toss: Can choke
    Terran: Can choke
    Zerg: Cant build on anything but creep.

Toss: Moves at normal speed
    Terran: Moves at normal speed
    Zerg: often moves very slowly off creep.

Toss: Gate generates troups leaving the base building drones
    Terran: Rack generates troups leaving base building drones
    Zerg: Chooses between troups and drones and is also limited by larva.

Meh... I know it sounds like a whinge but they have balanced the units without taking into account the inherent restrictions in Zerg .... having 3 drones die to get gas and troups is sick. Getting two lings used to be an advantage but now, without crack they are fodder, and even then they are no match for a similar cost bio-ball.

DeV.

In a game thats supposed to be balanced, what you seem to be saying is just "be better" or "play a dumb terran". Thats not balance, thats inherently being better at the game.

From my experience, a 30-unit ball, goes where it wants, kills what it wants and I can "guerilla tactic" all I like but unfortunately, I cant lift my buildings off the ground. :)

If you allow him 3 Medivacs, you can only allow me 3 tier 2 units or else you arent comparing like with like. What does 20 Marines, 10 Maurauders and 3 medivacs cost and what can I spend that amount on to get something any way close to stopping that ball. Its just not going to happen as far as I can see unless you presume that the Zerg player is inherently better.

I'm sticking to 2v2 for the next while, I'm genuinely sick of playing the same 10 minutes of game with the same basic troups over and over in 1v1 and feeling like I have to get lucky.

DeV.

If you're concerned that you're only building from one place, then knock down a second hatch inside your main base. It'll give you extra creep and allow you to build closer to your choke, if that helps at all? :)

Zerg advantages are mostly late game when creep is spread and you reinforce with ungodly speed. I really don't know how you play so I can't comment on that but if I played zerg, I'd probably f/e everytime and try and make it work. But yes, the game isn't really balanced at a lower level because you NEED those apm, heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

DeV.

yup, thats the exact problem right now in sc2 multiplayer game:o

you need to be relatively better in macro and micro to beat an average terran player. i believe it is not too hard to find alot diamond terran who has APM like 20:pac:

it makes sense tho, this is Wing of Liberty pack, so it is meant to get people to use terran:( i strongly feel that zerg is a crippled race atm.

check out some pro's comment from TL:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=144149
    a long post pretty sums up every problems of zerg atm.

Zerg advantages are mostly late game when creep is spread and you reinforce with ungodly speed.

spreading creep is no easy job (you have do it throughout the game and manage it with the larva inject) but yet the opponent can be easily destroy them without any trade-off.

i feel like zerg player get hard punishment if we make some mistakes, like the base macro management: forget to inject larva means you are fcked; if you forget to chrono boost?boost them 4 times in a row! forget MULE?call them down now! and if zerg did a wrong thing in picking a tech, it is basically meaning a gg, zerg tech switching is harder than the other 2 races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I beat a few of the terran i played tonight, but it was such a struggle, had to pull out all the stops. But i mainly won through intimidation, keep him on the defensive despite their armies would massacre me.
    I had to engage a MMM + tank army outside my base on the Scrapyard map, i had to use a nydus to get roaches behind him and then just sandwiched him. But i won mainly due to his mistakes rather than my good skill. Since i only realised he had the gold expansion to the south after i destroyed his main, so he technically had 3 bases to my 2. So he was a noob.

The match before that the terran went straight up mech, but only opted to build thanks and thors (no marines or marauders thankfully), and by then i had 4 bases a large roach/hydra army and 6 gglords+4 ultras. But again i had to out manouver him, even though his army was half the food cost of mine, he still killed off 75% of my units :( had like 7 hydras left, 4 roaches, the 6 lords and 1 ultra. so i built more then pushed his main and then gg.

And scouting is suuuuuch a pain :(
    Overseers should be upgradeable at t1, but their ability to delay buildings should be t2. Cause overlords just get taken down by 2 marines before you see anything.

This replay here shows all thats wrong against Zerg as Terran, a game I just finished

Xios concurs I see, ;). The mass hellion opening is going to be much more popular btw thanks to TLO. Barbequed drones.

spreading creep is no easy job (you have do it throughout the game and manage it with the larva inject) but yet the opponent can be easily destroy them without any trade-off.

you do know every creep tumor you put down can produce one more for free after it has settled. Depending on map you only need to put down 2 creep tumors via queen after that you just keep expanding them via this ability every now and then.

With that you can spread creep really f*cking quick on some maps.

Quite frankly the biggest pain for zerg is the map selection.

small 1v1 maps allow for easy creep expansion and base extension etc but have heavy reaper difficulties.

larger maps tone reapers down but make it much easier for terran to ball up and lock up their base with no scouting or early harrasment.

All maps practically have base choke points and there is a big emphasize on height advantage at numerous points. These are elements zerg are either too costly to take advantage of or quite frankly dont do at all in a manner thats worth trying.

the best zerg maps are probably is scrap station as its easy to scout and reaper harassment etc has a long route to go.

xel naga caverns because of its watchtower placement and ease to spread creep.

Delta quadrant because it is ridiculously open where zerg can get an advantage early game.

kulas ravine personnally is the worse as it is so easy for medivac and siege tanks to kill expansions and it never really opens up.

Metalopalis is proabably the most fair maps for all 3 sides.

blistering sands is ok except holding the natural is hard but if you can and push into the centre its good.

desert oasis is just hard...mostly cause it is so different to the other maps. in theory for zerg it should be bloody easy to lock your opponent in but the reality is its a map that is heavy on air tactics from all sides.

Lost temple is ok...Its easy to expand but the the air dropped siege tanks and so on make the middle a difficult fight.

steppes of war...Can be good but its outright a staight up fight regardless of any side and thats a hard slog for zerg.

mass hellions are dangerous but they need to be micro excessive when against speedlings (which outrun them and if you get cornered and a surrond occurs = dead hellions.)

the main issue with hellions is most terrans seem to think of them as an winning move and dont think of where to go next (reactor on factory is useless after hellions have
    been countered and needs to swap with something) which if you focused on speedlings and have amassed them enough you can hit back quickly enough before they shift their build order to MMM or siege tanks. Then there are those who are paying attention and have brought in banshee straight after hellion which can be very damaging if only speedlings and queen on field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO_JWqogRNc says it all really.

Of the 3 games they played, the terran opened with mass reapers from 5 rax each game. the 4rd game could've been won by idra had he macroed more, but still. Quite frustrating that reapers decemate zerglings so quickly and crush spine crawlers, so roaches are the only viable option because terran can get them soooo quickly and in much larger numbers than zerg can get units :(

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    you do know every creep tumor you put down can produce one more for free after it has settled. Depending on map you only need to put down 2 creep tumors via queen after that you just keep expanding them via this ability every now and then.

With that you can spread creep really f*cking quick on some maps.

:pac: we do need to do a new creep tumor on the new expo. by 'spreading creep' i also meant expanding them, macro econ+larva inject+click the creep create a new one throughout the game = not a easy job at all( i just keep forget to spread the creep...). when the creep spread to the map centre the opponent will always kill it anyway, the 'alive' creep tumour will be auto targeted is just dumb :(

kulase ravine is 100% a Terran map. i HATE that map:mad:

scrap station is a good map for zerg/protoss i'd say, caused reaper fails in that map lol (not really they still make good scout but i rarely see reapers in scrap). mutas/voids are awesome in this map.

all the other maps are okay but i feel like they are mostly terran orientated, eg they have to fix desert oasis again soon due to terran exploit.
    read this you will know how can terran exploit desert oasis:
    http://www.scaudios.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=51:terran-exploit-cheese-desert-oasis-map&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=59

speaking of imba!

kulase ravine is 100% a Terran map. i HATE that map

only map I have on my veto list :D

• Advertisement

Xios wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO_JWqogRNc says it all really.

Of the 3 games they played, the terran opened with mass reapers from 5 rax each game. the 4rd game could've been won by idra had he macroed more, but still. Quite frustrating that reapers decemate zerglings so quickly and crush spine crawlers, so roaches are the only viable option because terran can get them soooo quickly and in much larger numbers than zerg can get units :(

there are some people said that reaper play has some 'conspiracy' behind it:D
    So, in my personal experience, no one is ever quite so excited to have taken bronze in a tournament. Now, Dimaga seems to be a nice guy with a good personality, so we could simply chalk it up to that, but I think it goes a bit deeper.

Dimaga, knowing there was a grudge between Idra and Morrow, coached Morrow on the reaper play which he utilized quite effectively in the win over Idra. The grudge essentially ensured that Morrow would use whatever play available to win, and the $5k on the line was also a great motivator to apply the reaper pressure.

Since Dimaga couldn't win the tournament, he coached Morrow into using a strategy which Morrow himself acknowledged was imbalanced (source: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/9092028 ) so that it could gain global exposure.

The greatest victor in this tournament was Dimaga, who utilized clever political meta-meta-game to ensure that reaper play gets a nerf. Does anyone else appreciate the beauty of this strategy?
    link here:
    http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=146615

Advertisement