Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Terran Vs Zerg... possible whinge-warning....

13»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The Zerg flowchart is pretty much on the money though....

I've complained so much about this im just going to stop now, and I think i'll just take up Protoss until Zerg get some lovin'...

I still enjoy playing Zerg 2v2 etc, but its embarrassing for Zerg to have to say "keep me alive until I can get a force together, and upgrade them". Its embarrassing to get out-swarmed.

Do you know, I havent built one single ultra in SC2 yet... the games just never get that far one way or another and thats, bad.

DeV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    The sheer amount of rolleyes I did while looking at that "terran counter" picture. View more streams of games on iCCup maps.

Ah I was laughing more at the flow-chart, the Terran Counter's a bit meh :)
    DeVore wrote: »
    [...]
    Do you know, I havent built one single ultra in SC2 yet... the games just never get that far one way or another and thats, bad.
    DeV.

Ditto, and it only occurred to me last night while playing a Zerg mirror game. I only spawned ultras, for the first time, 'cos the other guy was turtling & I was bored. And even then they didn't do anything - Nydus worms won me the game in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

the part that caught me most was the

Hydra?
    > LOL

seriously hydra is too fragile and slow asssssss in sc2!

i actually been using ultras alot in team game:D ling+mutas and if the game didnt end there i stop making mutas save up the gas and go ultras, works well (only when there is no mass marauder).

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No mass Marauder = No Terran.... any terran worth their salt uses MMM realistically.

I think there are really interesting inter racial combinations possible in the game (like say, Ultras being healed by Medivacs under a Mothership.... very unpleasant). But single race, single tier mass "ball" is not an interesting strategy to play or play against.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

mutaling as outlined by hdstarcraft

its not a lol win bo ala MMM ball. But it does work, you just need to get it down to a T.

which is quite hard initially. Especially as Neo can point out from tuesdays games the droning up part can be quite hard to stick to cause you have such a fear of being rushed that its difficult to willingly build almost no real army until 20 food.

But I find it works against players who simply rely on MMM ball. And I've had games where I should have lost but the player was so afraid of a muta flank that he kept pulling back to his base to defend it allowing me to tech to ultras and get a sweet surrond to end the games (ultras in the front, lings in the back)

it still needs zerg players to work alot more and scout alot more (which is really hard for zerg) in the initial game.

Though I disagree with HD on using it against protoss, I find that early zealots can create a train effect (just a stream of them gradually moving towards my base) stops me from ever reaching any sort of mass with my lings = gg :( so I still rely on roaches to act like a wall at my base (and yes I get Hydras funnily enough, they work very well vs protoss when you tank with roaches.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Mutaling is pretty decent vs toss if you can get enough mutas fast enough. There's kind of a tipping point where you overcommit to slings and end up delaying mutas too much. I have problems with it on a large map like scrap where defending my natural and main is a HUGE pain. The answer there is to ram your army down the zerg's throat and force him to bring his mutas to fight. If the toss has opened stargate, forget about mutas. Microed phoenix >> Muta. Early zealot pressure isn't quite as good with the zealot nerf but it's not one of my preferred openers. I prefer to 4gate though I've been experimenting with some very greedy builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I shall chime in with a "**** SCV REPAIR!" It's complete BS a single thor + SCVs can hold off 20 supply worth of units.

Ended up void raying him and he QQs about toss being overpowered.

Wow, I can beat an idiot Terran who let's me get 20 supply with any harass at all and the randomly builds buildings in or near my base and then walks into a bunch of banelings. That guy was dumb. 6 marines at any time prior to the tier 2 mutas would have been gg.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    I shall chime in with a "**** SCV REPAIR!" It's complete BS a single thor + SCVs can hold off 20 supply worth of units.

I agree totally. I have been playing sc2 for about a month now. I started as zerg and have not learned the other races yet but i am getting totally owned in gold and might switch to toss. Sc2 has far too many terrans.
    Wow, I can beat an idiot Terran who let's me get 20 supply with any harass at all and the randomly builds buildings in or near my base and then walks into a bunch of banelings. That guy was dumb. 6 marines at any time prior to the tier 2 mutas would have been gg.
    Stick up the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

One Zerg left in the GSL in Korea and is producing some of the most epic games.

Carpet bombing thors with ultras dropped from overlords is all I have to say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Jonny7 wrote: »
    One Zerg left in the GSL in Korea and is producing some of the most epic games.

Carpet bombing thors with ultras dropped from overlords is all I have to say
    FruitSeller (aka Cool) and Checkprime are still in :D cant wait for checkprime's match now!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

You're absolutely right, I forgot about Check, should be some good games coming up.

On a side note, many top koreans are making SC2 accounts and some big names have announced the move - all good news for some big tourneys

Advertisement