Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Maynooth Students' Union Snubs Hanafin Visit"

Options
  • 08-09-2010 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

It seems the planned presence of Mary Hanafin on campus has raised some eyebrows in the SU.

So much so that they intend to boycott the proceedings. (Which is also what happened when they opened the engineering and bio-sciences building).
    SU Press Release can be found Here

But the real question is, what do you think?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

What do think indeed...

(Sorry Karl, couldn't resist...)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

I think the SU is entirely justified to boycott the visit. Fair deuce to the college for further expansion, but why does a minister need to come down when we are only a few months away from unveiling the 2011 budget?

Would her time not be better served finding out how to improve educational standards in teaching, decrease the cost of education, or finding out how to make eduction more accessible to the population, instead of coming down to the college for a cup of tea and an opening ceremony?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Agree with the move from the SU, it is the right move to make on behalf of the students of this college even if it makes you unpopular with the University authorities. A worthy stance to take and I applaud the SU for taking this difficult choice for the benefit of the student body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

J.D.R wrote: »
    I think the SU is entirely justified to boycott the visit. Fair deuce to the college for further expansion, but why does the minister of Education need to come down when we are only a few months away from unveiling the 2011 budget?

I know I'm being pedantic, but she's actually Minister for Tourism, Culture, and Sport.

Anyway, I think it's good that the SU is standing up for what they believe in and not pandering to ministers, makes a change from some previous incarnations.

I know I'm being pedantic, but she's actually Minister for Tourism, Culture, and Sport.

Anyway, I think it's good that the SU is standing up for what they believe in and not pandering to ministers, makes a change from some previous incarnations.

Oh god your right:o. I keep getting hanifan and coughlin mixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

"Maynooth Students’ Union Snubs Hanafin Visit"

I f*cking love this college.

Oh god your right:o. I keep getting hanifan and coughlin mixed up.
    To be fair Hanafin is a better politician than Coughlan and her being an alumnus I can understand why she was invited to this ceremony. But the SU rightly took the right step in not being affiliated with anything that is associated with FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Should amend for the sight of last years union representatives enjoying tea in their sunday best with Batt O' Keeffe

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Their thinking of raising the charges to €2500? :mad: ffs it's painful enough paying the €1500. Unless it's all a ploy to make them look good by turning around in a months time and saying they won't be increasing the charge.

If there looking to get a few million quickly I have a suggestion for them, cut all of the politicians salaries by a minimum of 50% and scrap all of their expenses. Sorry for the slight off topic rant but quite frankly I'm sick of the lot of them swanning around in expensive cars at our expense while they've put the country in debt for god knows how many years for us to pay off.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭hypersquirrel

Ian Beale wrote: »
    Their thinking of raising the charges to €2500? :mad: ffs it's painful enough paying the €1500. Unless it's all a ploy to make them look good by turning around in a months time and saying they won't be increasing the charge.

If there looking to get a few million quickly I have a suggestion for them, cut all of the politicians salaries by a minimum of 50% and scrap all of their expenses. Sorry for the slight off topic rant but quite frankly I'm sick of the lot of them swanning around in expensive cars at our expense while they've put the country in debt for god knows how many years for us to pay off.

2500 is a pittance compared to other countries. Honestly I don't see that we have anything to complain about here.

Anyway I can't say I'm bothered by Hanafin visiting but it is good to see the SU getting off the fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 titi

2500 is a pittance compared to other countries. Honestly I don't see that we have anything to complain about here.

Anyway I can't say I'm bothered by Hanafin visiting but it is good to see the SU getting off the fence.

1500 is already a lot!!! commonnnnn in france we pay something like 300 euros a year (undergraduate level)!!! this year i paid 4.57 euros!! yayyy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Great! I did four years in Maynooth and finally they've got a decent SU! Well done.

I don't mean to get personal, but just because you may think 2500 is a pittance definitely does not mean others do. I can personally say if it wasn't for the grant scheme I would not have any chance of being able to afford college, and that's at the current €1500 level.

If it was raised to a further €2500 it would put too much strain on the committee and would therefore seriously restrict the amount of aid they could issue those who need it to gain a third level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Who would you prefer open the building, while we're discussing it?

I'll be there, but only as a matter of formality because I work there. I'm completely against the reintroduction of fees and the increase in Student Services charges. I fully applaud the union's stance on this.

I'll be there, but only as a matter of formality because I work there. I'm completely against the reintroduction of fees and the increase in Student Services charges. I fully applaud the union's stance on this.

I don't think any of the ministers should be there. Not in this day and age. This seems to be the kind of thing the Mayor would do, but for any member of Daíl Éireann to come down to open a building short while away from announcing one of the most crucial budgets of the last 10 years is beyond a joke. If they have the time to take a day out to do ceremonies like this, I say they are an unnecessary expenditure to the taxpayer and should be sacked.

This is the kind of thing we have mayors for, to deal with local issues. I know Maynooth is an NUI, but that does not mean we need the Minister for Tourism, Culture and Sport to open a new building, alumnus or not.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I don't mean to get personal, but just because you may think 2500 is a pittance definitely does not mean others do. I can personally say if it wasn't for the grant scheme I would not have any chance of being able to afford college, and that's at the current €1500 level.

If it was raised to a further €2500 it would put too much strain on the committee and would therefore seriously restrict the amount of aid they could issue those who need it to gain a third level education.

How do you think people who don't get grants pay for college...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Personally, I'd prefer if the Student's Union opened the building.

To hell with politicians.

If they are looking at famous alumni to open the building they may as well have opted for Craig Doyle.

irish_goat wrote: »
    How do you think people who don't get grants pay for college...?

I'm sorry, what do you mean?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, what do you mean?

You're saying the grant is essential for you (and others) to go to college but I'm wondering if you realise that there's plenty of people who don't get the grant and manage to make it through college.

You're saying the grant is essential for you (and others) to go to college but I'm wondering if you realise that there's plenty of people who don't get the grant and manage to make it through college.

I fully realise that, but like I said, I was speaking from personal experience. I was saying that without the grant I, myself, would not be able to get to college. I was not saying that everyone who goes to college is receiving a grant

It's high time there was a state backed low interest student loan provision introduced in Ireland. The current system whereby your parents income decides if you get funding for college (as if a family earning over 50k is able to afford to spare 6k (per child) to send them to college is a joke. There's also no reason why graduates can't be expected to pay back their maintenance allowance if they start earning a decent wage.

I'm not meaning to jump at you JDR but i'm just a bit pissed off by the fact that I needed to work 6-7 nights a week this summer to be able to afford to go to college this year. Luckily I had a job but if I didn't I'd not be going anywhere and if I don't land a job in Maynooth I'll probably be skint by Christmas. So I get a bit pissed off when I hear grant holders moaning about losing 5% of the grant...

It's high time there was a state backed low interest student loan provision introduced in Ireland. The current system whereby your parents income decides if you get funding for college (as if a family earning over 50k is able to afford to spare 6k (per child) to send them to college is a joke. There's also no reason why graduates can't be expected to pay back their maintenance allowance if they start earning a decent wage.

I'm not meaning to jump at you JDR but i'm just a bit pissed off by the fact that I needed to work 6-7 nights a week this summer to be able to afford to go to college this year. Luckily I had a job but if I didn't I'd not be going anywhere and if I don't land a job in Maynooth I'll probably be skint by Christmas. So I get a bit pissed off when I hear grant holders moaning about losing 5% of the grant...

I fully understand where your coming from. But, just so you know, it's not like I sat back this summer knowing I would have a grant next year. I sent out 57 CV's (I counted) and went to 7 interviews this summer, and got about 2 weeks work with odd days here and there. It is very hard findgin emploiyment nowadays at 17 with 2 years experience, when your fighting against 35 year old college graduates with 15 years experience. I would have jumped at the chance to work for my money this summer.

And, I would have no problem paying back every cent of my grant when I graduate. I just also get a bit peeved off when people feel that grant holders don't deserve their qualifications, as if they didn't work for it or something.

I didn't say I think €2500 is a pittance. I said it is a pittance compared to other countries. I'm actually currently €6000 in debt having taken out a loan to do masters. I have never been eligible for any grant money or assistance of any sort. I worked 2 part time jobs and an another temporary job at Christmas in order to pay for it. I'm now coming back to do my PhD so that's going to mean another loan. Even when I finish my PhD my debt is going to be less then my cousin in England after his undergraduate.

I didn't say I think €2500 is a pittance. I said it is a pittance compared to other countries.

But, you can't just look at the cost compared to other countries. You have to take in many other factors, like government policy, tax levels, value of the qualification, cost of living etc, and in Ireland, I can safely say that a further increase to 2500 for fees alone would drastically cut into Irelands reputation of having a highly educated workforce

But, you can't just look at the cost compared to other countries. You have to take in many other factors, like government policy, tax levels, value of the qualification, cost of living etc, and in Ireland, I can safely say that a further increase to 2500 for fees alone would drastically cut into Irelands reputation of having a highly educated workforce

It could also be argued that if we introduced proper fees the money could be used to improve the facilities and quality of the education we receive..

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Yeah I sometimes think full fees would be better for all involved, once there were proper student loans easily available. Proper students loans as in you don't start paying interest until you have finished your degree.

But I don't know where the money goes or how much control the government has over spending. So I probably shouldn't comment haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭CFC1905_NK

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Agree with the move from the SU, it is the right move to make on behalf of the students of this college even if it makes you unpopular with the University authorities. A worthy stance to take and I applaud the SU for taking this difficult choice for the benefit of the student body.

I second this, great that the SU is showing its priority towards student's welfare instead of conforming to the powers that be. Kudos to Aengus and co.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Congrats SU, long may it continue.

In similar news, I cannot wait for the postgrad/international mentor reception at Iontas on Friday, break the place in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement