Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Maybe she's ill? if so, get well soon.

Charlie was good today, Madam editor was a good interview. Jeez, there was some skuldugery back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah, Charlie was solid enough this morning. Interesting interview with Geraldine Kennedy.
    Plowman wrote: »

You didnt hear him this morning then.. ? I think he's getting worse... He asked twice who Keiran McGeeney was, and this with him hosting a supposed GAA county vs county competition, giving sales pitches to Mickey Harte. He keeps trying to be funny as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

Well I think at the moment he's serving his period of "decontamination" as Geraldine Kennedy called it. But I think he would have been better off licking stamps than presenting this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Enjoyed the Geraldine Kennedy interview, but why did she sound like she was sucking a sweet...like was she? And if so, why would you do that whilst being interviewed!
    On the end of the interview and Charlie's "broadcasting" talent, I guess he is used to signing off with "Charlie Bird, RTE News"...rather than "thanks to my guest this week" :rolleyes:

You didnt hear him this morning then.. ? I think he's getting worse... He asked twice who Keiran McGeeney was, and this with him hosting a supposed GAA county vs county competition, giving sales pitches to Mickey Harte. He keeps trying to be funny as well.

Didn't bother with George this morning, is it worth a listen back?
    The newstalk biz show was good.

Back OT, I've a feeling Charlie has found a slot, I missed the end of the show, any mention of next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

Poly wrote: »
    Didn't bother with George this morning, is it worth a listen back?
    The newstalk biz show was good.

Back OT, I've a feeling Charlie has found a slot, I missed the end of the show, any mention of next week?
    Didn't listen to the end of the show but doubt he said anything yet, cos he has the show tomorrow probably too.

Poly wrote: »
    Didn't bother with George this morning, is it worth a listen back? The newstalk biz show was good.

Just driving back from playing a wedding, and who is on the radio again only the fair George.. ah he's not good and it's a very poor, disjointed show that doesnt really know what it is meant to be about.

I would prefer Rachael, but Charlie certainly did well enough today to give him a run at the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

BREAKING NEWS:

Marion Finucane is finally returning to the Marion Finucane programme next weekend!! Charlie informed the nation at the end of today's programme.

How can she quiz any of the politicians, bankers etc on any of their excesses with any justification considering her earnings for sfa.

• Advertisement

Marian Finucane is back next week..

gazumped again :(

Meant to say, it was a great show today.. particularly liked the way that Mike Soden was asked direct questions (for once) and was surprised how honestly he answered them... Other contributors Mary O'Rourke, Conor Faughnan and a couple of journalists. Well worth the podcast download.

I'm sure Marian is probably gonna download it for a listen, as research for the Marian Finucane Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭donaghs

I remember being flabbergasted by her hours v. salary and mentioning it in the news and media forum. The long summer holiday didn't even come into it then. Lots of defenders came out to say she is great value for money. :confused:
    BTW I don't think she's that bad at the few hours she puts in at her job either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

donaghs wrote: »
    mentioning it in the news and media forum. The long summer holiday didn't even come into it then. Lots of defenders came out to say she is great value for money. :confused:
    You know what they say about birds of a feather...

I hear the princess is back this morning.

Absense doesn't make the heart grow fonder, I was getting to like Charlie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

And there won't be a bother on her, just as if she deserves what she gets.

Watch her blaming others for what she is doing herself.

All credibility shot to bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

How will she handle her return? Any acknowlegment of her time off and thanks to Charlie Bird and Rachel English for the last 10 weeks (or whatever it is)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

mike65 wrote: »
    How will she handle her return? Any acknowlegment of her time off and thanks to Charlie Bird and Rachel English for the last 10 weeks (or whatever it is)?

You must be joking ... have you not heard about entitlement

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

fckity-fck! I missed the first minute. Did she note her time away and if so how?

Callan57 wrote: »
    You must be joking ... have you not heard about entitlement

My god, my blood is boiling here listening to her her.. absolutely no mention / apology / reason for not presenting her own show. How arrogant can one person be..... the plebs who pay for her apparently are not entitled to a reason. She really should be ashamed of herself.

You are not that "gifted" that you can be that aloof Marian. Any one of RTE's second tier presenters (PBH, Rachel English, Kathryn Thomas) could do your job better than you. RTE surely cannot justify renewing her contract when it expires??? [/sat morning rant]

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    fckity-fck! I missed the first minute. Did she note her time away and if so how?

It went like this Mike,
    Marian: "A very good morning to you... splutter.... (noise of teacup being rattled) ..... "
    and straight in to interview with O'Briain. No thanks to Charlie or Rachel for doing her job for her. I think she did not want to draw attention to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

who's this strange biddy presenting the charlie bird show ?

My god, my blood is boiling here listening to her her.. absolutely no mention / apology / reason for not presenting her own show. How arrogant can one person be..... the plebs who pay for her apparently are not entitled to a reason. She really should be ashamed of herself.

You are not that "gifted" that you can be that aloof Marian. Any one of RTE's second tier presenters (PBH, Rachel English, Kathryn Thomas) could do your job better than you. RTE surely cannot justify renewing her contract when it expires??? [/sat morning rant]

No they couldn't, doesn't in anyway justify her outrageous salary though.

Well for me personally ..... PBH, Charlie or Rachel can do the job better than Marian.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Just to play devils advocate (not taking her side!) ... it's a normal enough 'rule' in radio that you just carry on and do your show as normal without drawing attention to problems or issues that may have arisen.

Granted, that's usually that if you make a mistake during the show, you don't refer back to it but it can also count after a prolonged absence from the show itself where that absence is for personal reasons.

Between herself and George lee, Sat morning on radio 1 is now spent carefully avoiding subjects which would cast a light on their compromised positions.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Only caught the first hour. Taking money and holidays away from the presentation equation: I thought it was very good. I like her approach to subjects like Dara O. He's an intelligent, entertaining and engaging person and M.F was the perfect person to bring this out (or keep it rolling). Something Bird is incapable of.

M.F is a curiousity. I like her style. Her comfy warm leather chair and ciggies in the parlour presentation I like and enjoy and warm to. On a weekend morning she's just the tonic for me. R. English? Excellent but not in that role. She's used rightly by RTE in the night time doing weightier and more detailed political analysis material. Bird? If he was shot from a circus canon into space in the morning I'd be happy. Thomas? Thought she began to get a really good handle on radio presentation by the end of her stint on R1. One to keep an eye for the future I think.

MF's salary and holidays? Galling. Makes me reflect on what was and is wrong with big government umberella (d?) establishments. And now is no time to rue and build spite. It's time to push forward with lessons learned and strive to gain a clean bill of health both socially and economically. MF's current position in the station, regardless of whether one likes her or not, is a stain of the past. A nasty reminder that, for some, not much has nor will change.

humberklog wrote: »
    Only caught the first hour. Taking money and holidays away from the presentation equation: I thought it was very good. I like her approach to subjects like Dara O. He's an intelligent, entertaining and engaging person and M.F was the perfect person to bring this out (or keep it rolling). Something Bird is incapable of.

M.F is a curiousity. I like her style. Her comfy warm leather chair and ciggies in the parlour presentation I like and enjoy and warm to. On a weekend morning she's just the tonic for me. R. English? Excellent but not in that role. She's used rightly by RTE in the night time doing weightier and more detailed political analysis material. Bird? If he was shot from a circus canon into space in the morning I'd be happy. Thomas? Thought she began to get a really good handle on radio presentation by the end of her stint on R1. One to keep an eye for the future I think.

MF's salary and holidays? Galling. Makes me reflect on what was and is wrong with big government umberella (d?) establishments. And now is no time to rue and build spite. It's time to push forward with lessons learned and strive to gain a clean bill of health both socially and economically. MF's current position in the station, regardless of whether one likes her or not, is a stain of the past. A nasty reminder that, for some, not much has nor will change.

Couldn't have articulated it better myself.

Spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Well for me personally ..... PBH, Charlie or Rachel can do the job better than Marian.

Agree with you on Rachel English every bit as good as Marian at probably half the price. PBH I can't be doing with he's so dam patronising and as for Charlie he did in fairness improve as his stint went on .... once he learned to shut up & let people answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

I am on record here and otherwise for slating Charlie Bird, however, IMO he did a way better job than MF at hosting that show, I was getting to enjoy the show, I noted that he allowed people to talk for extended periods, not the usual RTE attitude where the 'star' has to speak every 30 seconds....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement