Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marian Finucane

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Will do, as luck would have it, I've Sky+'d The Late Late Show as something always happens on it when I don't watch it, unlike when I do and it's one big yawnfest!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭tampopo

Rebelheart wrote: »
    How about an acknowledgement that there are things which happen in, let's see ... France ... Germany ... China ....

All of which could make material for a programme. Finucane can only manage to talk about events which happen in a single foreign country, Britain. Why? Because she, and her programme researchers, are lazy. They provide a yellow pack service, merely glancing at English-language newspapers and lead stories there when they decide upon their stories each week. This evidently suits your politics. It adds nothing to my knowledge of each week. If, for instance, the conversation is about comparative health systems I want to know how the French manage their health system; if it's about the interaction between local government and democracy, I'd like an examination of the Swiss canton system to be included; if it's about international opinion on something Irish I'd like to hear the views of non-anglophone countries. .

I agree with this bit. been getting up for work at odd hours and looking at France24 and Euronews. Great to see a bit of 'other' world news.

for the bit I tuned into today, she was ehing all over the place AGAIN.
    Gave Brian Hayes a hard time, something like "no taxes, no new taxes. And where will you get the 3 billion from?"

If only she was as hard on govt ministers, it'd be a better programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

What squeezes the log from my cackpipe about her is that she berates people for waste of money, like todays stuff about the OPW.

And the focking elephant in the room is saying 460k from RTE for 4 hours airtime a week whenever she feels like it.

Totally off the wall.

Doesn't add up .

Noooo credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Yeah have to agree Flut, she has some cheek complaining about waste in the Public Service, when she herself is the epitome of waste. 460k for showing up a few weekends of the year to talk about the newspapers (i.e. so no research involved)... I mean it's not like you have to spend hours at home doing background work. The only thing she needs to practice in advance is coughing and hammering teacups off each other.

Can't understand why some geezer hasn't called her out on it.

Unless there are vested interests in there and the guests are well paid and told what to say.

Like, that's the first thing anyone with a modicum of common sense woulds say?

Why the fcuk are you getting 450k for a few weekends work a year.

Valid question>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭donaghs

Heard some of her show at the weekend. She mentioned something about waste of public money, but seemed to breeze through it. Understandable that she doesn't want to linger on that point.

Switched it over again as it went into some rambling interview with what I think was a former FF politician? I missed the intro, and after that point I couldn't figure out who he was or what the point of their conversation was.

Shay Healy after saying there that Steven Gerrard is not a leader.. He must have missed the Champions League final in 2005...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shay Healey is right, worst Liverpool captain ever. But thats a football matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Stupid oul soccer. Steven Gerrard. Who cares? Coz he couldnt give a fiddlers about any of us ordinary mortals, the pampered ninny that he and the rest of those Premiership players are.

But Nani on a hurling field and he would die of shock!

My point is, why have Shay Healy on talking about something he knows nothing about....

What did ye think of Gilmore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

The Saturday show sounds very tired ,twas better without marian .

Shay Healy after saying there that Steven Gerrard is not a leader.. He must have missed the Champions League final in 2005...

Had he his teeth in or out?

Absolute chancer of the highest order.

Had he his teeth in or out? Absolute chancer of the highest order.

Well I have huge respect for Shay for writing What's Another Year, imo one of the best Eurovision winners, but he's milked the fuk out of it.... The second hour of Marion's shows are similar to Pat Kenny's second hour.. boring and not necessarily consisting of guests of the highest quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

An interview with Eamon Gilmore,that took a lot of fokin imagination to come up with.Can you imagine the production meeting...Anyone any ideas....errr...mmmm what about an interview with Gilmore??? Great idea!!! now lets all fock off to the pub!

Well I have huge respect for Shay for writing What's Another Year, imo one of the best Eurovision winners, but he's milked the fuk out of it.... The second hour of Marion's shows are similar to Pat Kenny's second hour.. boring and not necessarily consisting of guests of the highest quality.

Teeth in or out he is the epitome of the chancer and opportunist who from the safety of the semi state cloisters, he proceeds to milk the system and portray the appearance of a free spirit ,whilst in reality he is hooked up to the gravy boat in Montrose, like the rest of the leather elbowed wispy bearded former student 'activists' and student leaders whose presence so festoons the kip.

Far from advocating the left wing views so beloved by non tax paying students and by speaking in duffel coats at the gates of Trinity, these brass necked opportunists are now the backbone of 'comfortable Ireland, eons removed from their former existence and ideals.

;)They don't fool the Flutther.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

why?

why?

why?

turning off marian now, as i listen to her tap her cigs off the tray....

if people in this land are serious about revolution they must take Montrose first

the most dangerous liars slither there.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Derryleigh

Barname wrote: »
    why?

why?

why?

turning off marian now, as i listen to her tap her cigs off the tray....

if people in this land are serious about revolution they must take Montrose first

the most dangerous liars slither there.

What a load of bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

650,000 a year. Maximum 20hours a week. 2.5 months holidays a year. disgrace of a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

NickDrake wrote: »
    650,000 a year. Maximum 20hours a week. 2.5 months holidays a year. disgrace of a woman.

Who's the real disgrace here though...the employee in question or the fools that negotiate her wage contract?
    If someone turned around to me and offered 10* my salary for doing effectively ther same job as anyone else, I'd be a fool not to take them up on it.
    It's the people operating behind the scenes in management and HR in RTÉ that are the true disgrace...no doubt on high enough levels of remuneration themselves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

NickDrake wrote: »

20 hrs a week on air. In fairness now what about all the research and interviews she has to do off air?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Wertz wrote: »
    It's the people operating behind the scenes in management and HR in RTÉ that are the true disgrace...no doubt on high enough levels of remuneration themselves...

You are right, but she and Kenny have displayed their sense entitlement over these ridiculous salaries on quite a few occasions now.

They wouldn't be that passive in the negotiation process either. Both of them pay people to make sure they get what they think they deserve.

You see it's all a cosy little club out there in Donnybrook.

The politicos are scared to come down too hard on them in case they turn 'sour'.

The old and worn out chestnut of ad. revenue is constantly trotted out.

Those of us who know,know that that is hogwash.

Even Dunphy had a cut at her on his show yesterday.

Everybody or almost everybody knows that this is ludicrous, everyone,it seems, except the mandarins in RTE who seem to have a vested interest in keeping these overpaid snouts in the trough in the hope that the detritus flying on the ground will rub off on them.

Just can't understand this .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

What did Dunphy say about her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

It was a text he read out, something along the lines of how can Finucane complain about the public sector when earning what she does...etc. Dunphy laughed but he didn't expand on it, nor could he really since he gets around 300,000 euro from RTE for his football punditry.

yeah he laughed

Context I think, was when people dared to query why Ireland had:

Highest paid medical consultants in the world.

An average of nursing staff per capita fourth in the OECD.

WTF.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

20 hrs a week on air. In fairness now what about all the research and interviews she has to do off air?

Her Sunday programme is basically a chat with 5 other people about the weeks events. She just needs to have all the Sunday papers read and needs to listen to the news all week.

And don't forget the 3 months off a year in the summer and a couple of weeks off during the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Maids "research" is by her own admission sitting at home listening to the radio, taking a few notes, her production team gather the guests together with an outline of topics for discussion which are normally self selecting anyway as the guest often IS the topic.

Money for old rope. No argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

You see it's all a cosy little club out there in Donnybrook.

The politicos are scared to come down too hard on them in case they turn 'sour'.

The old and worn out chestnut of ad. revenue is constantly trotted out.

Those of us who know,know that that is hogwash.

Even Dunphy had a cut at her on his show yesterday.

Everybody or almost everybody knows that this is ludicrous, everyone,it seems, except the mandarins in RTE who seem to have a vested interest in keeping these overpaid snouts in the trough in the hope that the detritus flying on the ground will rub off on them.

Just can't understand this .

Yes there is something deeply unsettling for me in all this. There's Marian questioning various heads about the state of our public finances, and she is one of the chief beneficiaries earning almost double what obama earns. Its beyond car crash radio for me because of the blatant hypocracy on display. Yet her legion of loyal listeners remain mute, mind you, many of them continuously voted for the gangsters that got us into this mess in the first place, so i shouldnt be shocked. The fact that marian earns the equivanent of 13 times the industrial average wage for a paltry 4hours per week, and the fact that, it is accepted, well, its sad, in a, break your heart kind if way, it really is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

She's only on the air for 4 hours a week.

Maybe she gets paid time and a half for the Sunday. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

When, What? Her production team does that. I thought I was being very generous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement