Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I bought a mobile Coffee unit...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 goldwolf

Here ( I think it worked the upload ) is a photo of Mr. Bean's Lean machine!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

in front of the central bank on dame st would be a great spot for it IF they allowed you to leave it there

plenty of room for people to sit and drink their coffees and eat the snacks uv just sold them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Budget Marketing

delllat wrote: »
    in front of the central bank on dame st would be a great spot for it IF they allowed you to leave it there

As far as I know even with a license to casually trade within Dublin only newspapers can be sold from kiosks on about six streets within the city (the streets with the highest footfall ie. grafton st, Henry st, O'Connell st, Dame st) although I could be mistaken....So I dont think the law permits this.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

goldwolf wrote: »
    Here ( I think it worked the upload ) is a photo of Mr. Bean's Lean machine!
    :)

I thought you had bought one of those coffee vans.This looks very neat.

Tag line for you if you take the cookie idea on board.

Mr Beans Coffee and Cookies
    Always Fresh
    Always Tasty
    Always Here

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JoeTurner

With regard to locations, I am based out of Wicklow

Seeing as you're based in Wicklow:

- try behind the train station in Greystones at the weekend at the entrance to the beach walk. Loads of punters down there on a nice summer's day.

- same can be said for Brittas Bay. Maybe the car park there too.

- business parks in Wicklow including Broomhall in Rathnew, Newtown Business Park in Newtownmountkennedy to name but a couple....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 goldwolf

Hi

Yes, Dublin city is tied up in so far as red tape goes, and you cannot just pull up and trade there, in fact, you cannot trade there at all !

Business parks and train stations, and farmers markets is the route to take I think?

Along with that we are offering catering for private functions, providing the coffees / teas etc, home made breads, salads, canapes, pastas, cakes / scones, cheeses, and wines etc, so that we can cater for private functions, be it a coffee morning or christenings or simply parties...Anything in fact :)

The van is eye catching and I hope a great little gimmick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Something like this (IMO) would require serious planning if it's going to be a success.

At a minimum you would need to make a list of places from which you could trade from and then rank each in accordance with footfall across different periods of the day.

I would also be in touch with local community groups etc as there's always at least 1 major event happening in a county every week.

However to start with I would just concentrate on a route and build up your trade. TBH I would not even think about going down the route of catering for private functions unless this is going to happen after hours (I assume 7am - 2/3pm) or until you get a second vehicle.

In addition, whilst the van is nice and all, you do need to put some art work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,626 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You mean I could have coffee? ANYWHERE?

You have to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Very nice unit.

I'd suggest getting d-cal stickers put on the trailer. Cheap and you can give it a bigger impact, with a logo, and making it clear what it is, and pricing on the side...i'd suggest your logo be a characture of a coffee bean man, possibly with a top hat. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

Well done and I wish you the very best of luck with your new business. I've also "Liked" your FaceBook page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Registered the mrbean.ie already, but will wait for a bit more money to put a webpage up as spent all savings on the mobile unit and stock, and need to still do some electrical work on it to make it 110% !

Good idea - one point on website if you don't have cash to spend on getting one.

Go to www.weebly.com

about 30 to 60 minutes mins work, with no technical experience, will have you with a passable website (I got www.totaldartsworld.com done and up within about 2 hours). It's completely free.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Beer fest I think is on next month. It's a family event that's usually very busy and there will be alot of people there who aren't drinking alcohol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Agree with what others said about finding regular pitches- coffee is addictive for some people and we are creatures of habit so you need to be tapping into that.

However Im gonna give you some advice for the weekends or outside office hours. If you harness these opportunities correctly they'll be the nice bonus on top of your 9-5 day. Look at major events in your area or beyond. I'm thinking along the scale of the Ploughing Championships (I ain't a culchie but I hear its massive- 100k+ heads there over 3 days). The Fleadh just gone is another huge event though I think its up north next year so maybe too far.

Trading on the streets of Dublin is illegal except for permit holders. However you can get a casual traders license for major events. I last did this about 5 years back, cost was 25 quid for the day or evening from DCC and the permit took about a week to come through.

Consider the Point Depot. I used to trade there for a bit. Don't go in for smallish concerts, not worth your while. But if someone like Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, etc is playing 3 nights in a row in winter get your ass down there sharpish. Was at a gig there last winter and despite lots of buses running after it most people walked to the city center. Its a long stroll, about 20-25 mins and there are very wide footpaths by the riverside on the northside all the way. I think people enjoy walking it after gigs (this is just my thinking, check it out yourself, research it for a few nights soon) That van would fit on one of thse wide footpaths no probs and you might make a killing (I have to add that this coming winter is the first one we'll have with the new Luas extension so it remains to be seen). But you get my drift, think along those lines for easy extra cash in the evenings/weekends. Another consideration here is that there might now be a double whammy to be had by the Point- the new Grand Canal THeatre has just opened across the river- so if a play/musical is on then chances are it'll finish 30-45mins before a gig in the Point. If that's the case you can hit both large crowds in the space of 90-120 mins.
    If you hurry now you might make the All-Ireland finals at Croker (though permits are limited AFAIK so you may have missed out already), check it out nonetheless as it'd be a bumper day if you could get a nice pitch.

Another regular Sunday hit for you should be th kitesurfers on Dollymount Strand. Right throughout the winter there'll be 40+ kitesurfers in pretty cold water every Sunday. They're a hardy bunch but a hot coffee is always appreciated when your hands are blue. There's another few kitesurfing and windsurfing spots around Dublin, google 'em.

Another daytime possibility is the NCT centers. Constant stream of cars going in for tests and they are based in an industrial estate so it might be possible to rock up and park there all day. I'd say the one near Liffey Valley does 100-150 car tests per day and then you've also got business from staff working at all the outlets. You might need to check who owns.manages the park, they may have a say but if you could pull it off it might be your Mon-Fri 9-5'er without having to move all day. The NCT centers do have coffee machines but the coffee is Nescafe sh1te. Park that van in a conspicuous place so they all see you on their way in and bobs your uncle.
    If you pull a gig like this then I'd also think of selling limited amounts of newspapers. Car tests take an hour or so papers could work. I'd advise to buy them from the students union on uni campuses where they sell for 50% of the RRP, then flog on for the normal price in all other shops, just don't get caught=)

Forget about the idea of baking all your own pastries. I know you want to provide a quality product but you need to be outsourcing this. There's plenty of good suppliers who can furnish you with really tasty pastries (haha tasty pastries! I call dibs on that=) Unless you have a partner you'll spend way too much time baking at home, your time is better spent on the road selling than slaving in the kitchen. Division of labour, comparative advantage of suppliers and all that. Don't just sell chocolate and cakes- stock up on fruit in Aldi/Lidl and flog that too at 50% mark up from CP.

I think your strategy should be to get a regular pitch(s) 9-5 Mon-Fri. Remember less moving=less petrol=less overheads. Then be on the lookout for bonus money where crowds gather in the evenings and weekends.

Finally I'd say be ballsy. Skirt the law on occasion if you have to make a quid- pitches are often a greyish area. Your primary concern is you're not bothering anyone or any other business. Once you do that you've a good chance of being left alone. And get that van done up - it looks like a Dublin City Council street rubbish van. You are on the road all week so you're a moving advertisement- why aren't Lavazza branding you in some form or other ?

Best of luck with it man, keep us updated.

ps you owe me a coffee Mr. Bean=)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Good Idea, Love the name....

You should get in touch with Tiger Aspect Productions who produced Mr Bean. If you get the rights to print his image on the van it'll be
    1. A great promotion tool
    2. Make it easily identifiable
    3. Be a large step towards serious franchising

Worth having a look at. Sure no harm in trying and if they are asking ridiculous money or what not just tell them where to stick it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Great idea - Sandycove at the Children's Beach (around the corner from the Forty Foot) - and make sure to be there on Christmas Day and St Stephen's Day for the Christmas Swim. With hot mince pies.

Great idea - Sandycove at the Children's Beach (around the corner from the Forty Foot) - and make sure to be there on Christmas Day and St Stephen's Day for the Christmas Swim. With hot mince pies.

would love a hot mince pie now! i'll be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Do the IFSC between 7 AM and 9 AM daily, undercut the other coffee shops. You will make a killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Fungus wrote: »
    Do the IFSC between 7 AM and 9 AM daily, undercut the other coffee shops. You will make a killing.

I'm told there's a good coffee shop there, open between 6am and 9am, but can't remember the name...?

Fungus wrote: »

He'll get moved by the cops if he sets up in the IFSC where coffee shops pay thousands a year in rent.

bigneacy wrote: »
    Good Idea, Love the name....

You should get in touch with Tiger Aspect Productions who produced Mr Bean. If you get the rights to print his image on the van it'll be
    1. A great promotion tool
    2. Make it easily identifiable
    3. Be a large step towards serious franchising

Worth having a look at. Sure no harm in trying and if they are asking ridiculous money or what not just tell them where to stick it :D

haha good idea. Though I'd just plaster Mr.Bean's image on the van. Say nothing and see what happens. Then if the rights owners send you a letter go to the tabloids and tell them you are a little coffee stall owner who is being sued by a mute comedian. You couldn't make that stuff up and neither could you buy the publicity :D

• Advertisement

RATM wrote: »
    haha good idea. Though I'd just plaster Mr.Bean's image on the van. Say nothing and see what happens. Then if the rights owners send you a letter go to the tabloids and tell them you are a little coffee stall owner who is being sued by a mute comedian. You couldn't make that stuff up and neither could you buy the publicity :D

Brilliant. I love it.. Do that. Thats defo more my style! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

Perfect your "latte art". Good way to differentiate yourself for other coffee vendors and I think it demonstrates that you are really caring about the product you are handing over to your customers.

Seen it done with a few mobile coffee vendors in Ireland and I always think it is a nice touch.

that's amazing..> the monkey one is brilliant.

If you can manage to do a Mr Bean i will personally travel to Dublin every day to buy one from you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Good luck with your venture.

I use Mr Cotton each morning. Here are a couple of things that they do which may be of use to you:

1. Loyalty cards - free coffee for every ten purchased. The cards are basic but have all the contact details on it, which is a cheap promotion method.

2. There's a building site near the business park I work in. (I know, not many of them around these days!). Mr Cotton pops up there after the morning rush has died down in the business park, so he hits them for their morning tea-break. Back down to the business park then for the early lunch crowd. Just a suggestion if you find that there are quiet times in your daily route.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 donalgeraghty

Hi think its a great idea,ware would one buy a tuk tuk like yours.Thinking of doing it myself.
    donaljgeraghty@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

Good idea but I'd imagine it's hard to keep up the pace with it. Would be interested to hear how you're going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hi all

I have just bought a mobile coffee unit, an Italian Piaggio Ape ! I've done a deal with 'Lavazza' coffee as my suppliers etc. I have previously run bars/restaurants successfully and know a thing or two about coffees.

Has anyone here any advice, ideas, or thoughts for me? I'd be very grateful to hear them...

You can see my mobile Coffee unit on Facebook,
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Dublin/Mr-Beans-mobile-coffee/149772771706461?ref=ts&__a=7&ajaxpipe=1

I have named the business " Mr. Bean " and registered the name !!

I'm based around Wicklow but am hoping to attend farmers markets, and find a train station with commuters but no cafe etc etc...

I know this is a year later but hopefully you still check on boards now and again! :) How much did you pay for a vendors licience and do you need permission to sell before you park and commencing the coffee making??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Arsenal11

Hi all

I have just bought a mobile coffee unit, an Italian Piaggio Ape ! I've done a deal with 'Lavazza' coffee as my suppliers etc. I have previously run bars/restaurants successfully and know a thing or two about coffees.

Has anyone here any advice, ideas, or thoughts for me? I'd be very grateful to hear them...

You can see my mobile Coffee unit on Facebook,
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Dublin/Mr-Beans-mobile-coffee/149772771706461?ref=ts&__a=7&ajaxpipe=1

I have named the business " Mr. Bean " and registered the name !!

I'm based around Wicklow but am hoping to attend farmers markets, and find a train station with commuters but no cafe etc etc...

Would you mind DMing me i would absolutely love to ask you a few questions if you don't mind

Thinking of opening one up myself in killarney and would love your 10 year experience to get some info .!

Really would appreciate it 😀

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

That account is no longer active so you are unlikely to get a reply here - the facebook page also seems to be gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Arsenal11 wrote: »
    Would you mind DMing me i would absolutely love to ask you a few questions if you don't mind

Thinking of opening one up myself in killarney and would love your 10 year experience to get some info .!

Really would appreciate it ��

Hey Arsenal,
    It just a personal opinion but Killarney seems overrun with Coffee Shops atm, 3 new ones in the 4 /5 weeks and Bean in Dingle due to open soon.
    There is also a mobile unit that uses Corcorans Car Park at the weekends
    Best of luck if you proceed

Advertisement