Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

1262728293032»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

The top 100 finishers get points in the National AR series which consists of your best 4 of 5 races...

WAR Glendalough
    West Wicklow Roar
    Gaelforce
    Achill Roar
    WAR Glenmalure

Next year there will be more races included and possibly Sprint/sport distance races.

Thanks GoHard. Thats what I was thinking about re top 100. Also when a sport is as physically and mentally challenging as AR I think one needs to allot significance and sense of achievement to things such as top 100,200, first 50%, finisher or whatever will give you a boost and encourage you next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

[
    WAR Glendalough
    West Wicklow Roar
    Gaelforce
    Achill Roar
    WAR Glenmalure

Next year there will be more races included and possibly Sprint/sport distance races.[/QUOTE]

Will one have to be registered with AR Ireland to receive points?

I did a 5 hour GF taking 50 mins off 2009 time, next years goal is to get into the top 100 competitors. I can see myself competing solely in adventure racing for a long time. It would be cool to be able to compete abroad so forgive my ignorance in asking but what is the points process in Ireland and competing abroad. I am a relative novice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

It would be cool to be able to compete abroad so forgive my ignorance in asking but what is the points process in Ireland and competing abroad. I am a relative novice.....[/QUOTE]

Its 100 points for 1st place, 99 for 2nd and so forth for the first 100 places. See www.msai.ie for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ah place is important as well as time. I'd be disappointed to improve my time and not overall position.

It's a race after all. Something to aim for. Top 100, top 20%, top 10 etc. Also to chase those elusive AR series points.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

For the Mountain Running Group that I am looking to set up, I advise to join up with Mayo Athletics Club as this would provide additional support and opportunities to compete in events such as Cross Country, and IMRA events. In our first ever outing in the IMRA World Trials/intercounties Mayo won the silver. But, it is not necessary, you can still join us for training.
    As for running in general and for next year's Gaelforce the most important factor that you will have to consider is Cardiovascular conditioning. Cross country and mountain running is the best way to get conditioned. In fact cross country running was invented by the Thames Valley Rowing club in the 19th Century as a way of staying fit when the Thames froze over during the winter.
    So please contact me at 086 084 0359 or rmalse@hotmail.com and we will start arranging training, well I won't be running for at least a week as I have a chest infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Does anyone know the name or number of the guy who ran most of the race cause his bike broke? I would really like to nominate him for this competition!

Competition 1 - Most Outstanding or Inspirational person
    Our staff and marshals can’t be everywhere for the whole event, and we are very aware that there are a number of competitors and marshals, that put themselves out for a fellow competitor.

So we are looking for your stories of that inspirational person who gave you their last bike tube and walked the rest of the race as their wheels fell off or that marshal who, just as you were about the give up, gave you that little bit of TLC that you needed to get you right back on track and over that finish line. Or perhaps after the event as you nursed your weary bones, a fellow competitor told you an inspiring story of why they competed in the race. Or maybe a member of the Civil Defence or Mayo Mountain Rescue had an impact on your experience?

So get writing and nominate that person!

Entries must be in by Friday October 8th 2010.

If you can let us know as much detail as possible about the person you are nominating - name, race number etc, so that we can easily identify the person to give them their prize.

We may publish some of these stories on the site but we will not do so without your permission, and names do not need to be used when published.

The winning nominated person will get a weekend away in Westport.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

Yeah good idea

My nomination will be going to you though Fi, as I think anyone that perseveres for as long as you did deserves it! If that's ok with you of course!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

clearly :) wow would be chuffed to be nominated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

The fella that ran almost the whole way was from Dublin and is a rugby player, I think that he is from Templeogue area. He was shattered by the time he got to me, but if we can get his name then I would like to be first to nominate him. But, I feel that this should be a joint honour as his friend stuck by him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement