Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

1464748495052»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cornishpasty

Uaithne, that's a poetic prose that perfectly describes the Gael Force experience. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭robroy1234

I apologise for getting it wrong about the first aid provision at the finish. I didn't see where the Civil Defence had set up and I thought there would be a dedicated tent. But, I admit that I was wrong to jump to such conclusion. The event is a fantastic event and I am looking to next year's being bigger and better.
    My involvement in doing the massages was voluntary, and not part of the Gaelforce management, the amount that was given to me during went to covering the cost of oils, creams, vaseline, and plasters.
    Nevertheless there need to be an organised structure of physios/massage at the finish.
    Also with the training for next year's event, the mountain running/cross country group that I am looking to get together will look to tackling the running parts of the course, and also Croagh Patrick.
    Take care to everyone, keep training and look forward to seeing you all in next year's Gaelforce...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hey hey,

Did my first Gaelforce at the weekend, was a great day out. Got 6 hours 14 which was OK I suppose, looking forward to beating it next year already ;o) Think the reviews have been done very well so just a few questions/points...

If 3000 people entered and 2300 people finished, did 700 people just not turn up?? Seems strange to have so many no shows?

I reckon I drank at least 6 litres of water (with electrolyte tabs). It seems from other posts most people drank around 2 litres. I was conscious of dehydration so made myself drink every 2 km's. Is it possible to drink too much (and maybe cause you to slow down?) I felt fine tho!? Had a crazy amount of 'salt' on my face at the end, could have made a sandcastle out of it!

Dry sox and dry shoes (at the first bike transition) to put on after the kayak and trail run were a god send, cant recommend it enough ;o)

Deffo eat food you like, I had a trusty chocolate spread sandwich, only so many sugary jellies you can eat in one day!

I held back too much, I started by pacing my self, which I'd still recommend, but the race is so long that 2 or 3 hours in you almost forget it is a race. Should have pushed harder and not held so much back for Croagh Patrick. Will know for next year.

There was a photographer in the bog run after the kayak stage (10:15am apx). Does anyone know where we can get those pictures, I did a great jump into a big puddle and would love to see it!

People were asking about distance, I clocked it at 67.89 km's (Scroll down and look at the elevation graph for Croagh Patrick for a laugh!!)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45883696

Did a few IMRA runs during the year, excellent prep for Galeforce, deffo recommend joining!

Congrats to everyone who actually turned up and gave it a good go on the day. Would love to do the Connemara Rough Diamond at the weekend but don't think I'd be up for it so soon, Achil Roar will have to be my next race so, a guy could get hooked on this adventure race thing.

Go Team!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hey hey,

Did my first Gaelforce at the weekend, was a great day out. Got 6 hours 14 which was OK I suppose, looking forward to beating it next year already ;o) Think the reviews have been done very well so just a few questions/points...

If 3000 people entered and 2300 people finished, did 700 people just not turn up?? Seems strange to have so many no shows?

I reckon I drank at least 6 litres of water (with electrolyte tabs). It seems from other posts most people drank around 2 litres. I was conscious of dehydration so made myself drink every 2 km's. Is it possible to drink too much (and maybe cause you to slow down?) I felt fine tho!? Had a crazy amount of 'salt' on my face at the end, could have made a sandcastle out of it!

Dry sox and dry shoes (at the first bike transition) to put on after the kayak and trail run were a god send, cant recommend it enough ;o)

Deffo eat food you like, I had a trusty chocolate spread sandwich, only so many sugary jellies you can eat in one day!

I held back too much, I started by pacing my self, which I'd still recommend, but the race is so long that 2 or 3 hours in you almost forget it is a race. Should have pushed harder and not held so much back for Croagh Patrick. Will know for next year.

There was a photographer in the bog run after the kayak stage (10:15am apx). Does anyone know where we can get those pictures, I did a great jump into a big puddle and would love to see it!

People were asking about distance, I clocked it at 67.89 km's (Scroll down and look at the elevation graph for Croagh Patrick for a laugh!!)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/45883696

Did a few IMRA runs during the year, excellent prep for Galeforce, deffo recommend joining!

Congrats to everyone who actually turned up and gave it a good go on the day. Would love to do the Connemara Rough Diamond at the weekend but don't think I'd be up for it so soon, Achil Roar will have to be my next race so, a guy could get hooked on this adventure race thing.

Go Team!

+1 on the change of socks at the foot of CP. A mate talked me into bringing spare socks and it was a godsend.

That elevation is deadly, you can see that stinker of a hill in the cycle too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ronan1986

Hi Guys,

Some good reports and some puzzling gripes by some people.

This was my first adventure race (and any race of any kind for that matter) and I have to say i thought it was organised brilliantly. The registration was flawless, the sign posting was very clear, the marshalls were excellent and very encouraging and the finish area was just an all round good set up, apart from the lack of massage areas....

On the race itself, I really didnt know what to expect and if i'm honest, in hindsight didnt prepare myself properly for what lay ahead. My finishing time was 7hrs and 1 min, but I did stop to help a guy with a double puncture and also was stopping to take 1 or 2 pics here and there ,and wait for a mate on occassions.

The first run i did in a remarkably decent time of 1 hr and 16 mins without feeling too wrecked. Then hung around to wait for my mate for the kayak stage.

We were absolutely terrible in the kayak (no prev experience) and took 16 mins to cross the lake!!

The next run was mental, by the time we got there it was just mud, and deep mud at that. I was glad to see a bit of road after a while, and the funniest moment of the day came when running this stretch. I was jogging along on my own and decided to look to the left where I see an old lady waving out her kitchen window at me, i just smiled and waved back, wat a dear....

Got to the bike transition and found that my brake pad was rubbing hard on my wheel, which was strange considering it was fine when i left it the night before. Spent 10 mins getting water, fixing the pad and waiting for my mate to change socks. At this point i also ate a full energy bar(i never tried them before) which gave me a violent stomach cramp for the duration of the cycle.

The early part of the cycle was fine (barring the cramp) for me, but i felt like I had the wrong equipment, having only a mountain bike. Guys on racers were tearing past with ease!!! The road leading up to croagh patrick was terrible for me (despite the mountain bike) due to the ever increasing pain in my stomach. At this point i decided to stop and make myself sick. This cured the stomach pain, but instantly drained me of any energy or fluid. I had to just sit down and eat my apple and banana until i got some energy back (approx 10 mins). Some of you may have seen me sitting ther munching away just staring up at Croagh patrick......

Finally got to croagh Patrick and feeling abit better. Got some water and ran the base part of the mountain. From the Bottom of the zig zag trail to the top I walked very very slowly, taking 58 mins. My descent wasnt much quicker at 41 mins. I had never seen, let alone climbed croagh patrick before and the harshness of the climb was a shock to me.

Back down off the mountain and onto the bike now, and I ever felt so good. The off-road section I got through alright, only walking for about 20ft of it. Then came the very fast road downhill section, which i thuroughly enjoyed, apart from the tight left hander at the bottom, which i tried to cut (nearly sending me flying)....As i said earlier, the finish was great and I for one really enjoyed the 500m dash to the end. I managed to pass lots of people here and got a good shout from the crowd and DJ at the finish as I was the only one who seemed to be sprinting. Passed the finished line and nearly collapsed in a heap...

Great event, great town, great people. I will definitely be back next year, better prepared and with better equipment. Hope to break 6hr 30!!

P.S

I heard people complaining about th cost of accom. I stayed in a B&B about 300 yds from the finish line, that was more like a 5 star hotel and included a free pass to a local leisure centre. 2 nights €78. Unreal, and the people were really really nice....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

Ronan,

I saw the exact same woman, just after leaving the bog run and almost at the bike transition. She got as big a wave from me as I got from her. She really gave me a boost when I badly needed it. I wonder who she is (her house was up a short, steep driveway with a big window facing the front).

As for the bike, I mentioned that I felt my bike had been tampered with, as had a few friends - exact same scenario, front wheel brakes tight to the wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

ronan1986 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I heard people complaining about th cost of accom. I stayed in a B&B about 300 yds from the finish line, that was more like a 5 star hotel and included a free pass to a local leisure centre. 2 nights €78. Unreal, and the people were really really nice....

hi ronan.. what's the name of that b&b, sounds great!

that's a great time you did, considering it was your first time and you were quite unprepared. With a little mountain experience you could cut the 1hr 45 on CP to 1 hr 15 no problem. You must really have been super cautious on your descent- which is wise for your first time. I flew down in 18 mins, but mountains are my thing.

the other thing i'd say is- and maybe it's just me- but if you're looking to do a good time, run your own race and dont be waiting around for your pals... there were 4 of us in the same wave, but we agreed that ages ago. It is a race, after all. You could easilly do a 6 -6hr 15 time next yr no problem, you're obviously a good runner and that's most of the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    the other thing i'd say is- and maybe it's just me- but if you're looking to do a good time, run your own race and dont be waiting around for your pals... there were 4 of us in the same wave, but we agreed that ages ago. It is a race, after all. You could easilly do a 6 -6hr 15 time next yr no problem, you're obviously a good runner and that's most of the battle.

Think I have to agree, was supposed to do it with a mate but his appendix disagreed. So just had to go my own pace. He's a better runner so would have been under pressure for the run, maybe not a bad thing, but I'm a better cyclist/hill person. We ran together for the 1st leg last year and i did the cycle/CP myself. Guess if you've someone of a similar level then stick together, it does make a difference when things get tough, but otherwise stick to your own pace

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Agree with the above, next year i'll do it with the same friend. I'd be a better runner so i'll probably break away from on him up to the bike transition, he'll then catch me on the bike for us both to die again on CP :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

quick question re:CP

Whats the best way to come down? I was very slow up CP took me 1 hour and 48 coming down. Now, thats the first time ive been up a proper mountain since I was n the scouts 18 odd years ago! Coming down the zig zag doesnt really lend its self to running, or so I thought, is it any better coming down off the side of the mountain just when you get off the shale?

• Advertisement

thehamo wrote: »

Whats the best way to come down? I was very slow up CP took me 1 hour and 48 coming down. Now, thats the first time ive been up a proper mountain since I was n the scouts 18 odd years ago! Coming down the zig zag doesnt really lend its self to running, or so I thought, is it any better coming down off the side of the mountain just when you get off the shale?

48 mins coming down is slow alright. you just need more descent pratice i guess.

i personally find going up on the path and straight down is best.. would be interested to get peterx etc's opinions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

thehamo wrote: »

Probably different for every one! Everyone will have a different opinion on this.

I know a lad that is a good bit fitter than me, and he went straight up and down and I did the zig zag up and down, and I was 1 minute quicker. He was faster going up, but slower coming down.

So its best to practice if possible on it, and choose a route that suits you best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

48 mins coming down is slow alright. you just need more descent pratice i guess.

now that i think about it, I took about a 10min rest at the top when I dibbed in. So make that 38 comin down. And the MAHUSIVE blisters I had on the sole of both my feet didnt help none either!

Excuses excuses:P

hi ronan.. what's the name of that b&b, sounds great!

that's a great time you did, considering it was your first time and you were quite unprepared. With a little mountain experience you could cut the 1hr 45 on CP to 1 hr 15 no problem. You must really have been super cautious on your descent- which is wise for your first time. I flew down in 18 mins, but mountains are my thing.

The B&B is called Glendaren, although i shouldn't be telling everyone as i plan staying there again next year!!

Yeah waiting around for people is probably not the best idea, but it was both our first race and we said we'd stay together for as much as possible!! Think i'll get a cyclocross for next year and do at least one climb of Croagh Patrick prior to the race (amongst other things). On the descent of croagh Paterick I was cautious but to be honest i had no real choice, the place was packed at that stage (4-5pm) with people coming up and down and people getting winched off the mountain etc!!! Can someone explain to me how or where exactly you can begin to run straight down the mountain. I didnt even attempt to look for a line straight down, but by all accounts it is quicker, and less packed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sparcasim

Hey Guys,

Congrats to all who took part, second time doing it and def will be back next year!

Just wondering I am trying to track down some photos from the Schelp stage. I was in the second wave and hit the Schelp stage around 12ish when that poor person was being airlifted away, civil defense wouldnt let us pass for ages, kept me from getting under 5 hours by one minute!

Anyway as a few of us were running down that treacherous part with our bikes on our shoulders a photographer snap us a few times. I've sifted through GF's website, sleepmonsters and picsaweb (or whatever the other one is) and cant find them. Just wondering if anyone else has?

Roll on WAR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr Mago

Rinker wrote: »
    Well done on the improvement Mr Mago. I finished on 4.42 as well as did 4 others. So did you make the top 100 or miss it by seconds like me?:(

I was 100th..... whoo hooooo:D

Mr Mago wrote: »
    I was 100th..... whoo hooooo:D
    wat a prick!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 uaithne

Hey lads, doesn't matter where you are placed unless it's first. After that position it is all about the time. Let's face it if you finished 99th this year and you were 105th next year, but 5 minutes quicker then there is no contest. Don't get caught up with positions. They are just numbers. The time is the real gem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

uaithne wrote: »
    Hey lads, doesn't matter where you are placed unless it's first. After that position it is all about the time. Let's face it if you finished 99th this year and you were 105th next year, but 5 minutes quicker then there is no contest. Don't get caught up with positions. They are just numbers. The time is the real gem.

The top 100 finishers get points in the National AR series which consists of your best 4 of 5 races...

WAR Glendalough
    West Wicklow Roar
    Gaelforce
    Achill Roar
    WAR Glenmalure

Next year there will be more races included and possibly Sprint/sport distance races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

The top 100 finishers get points in the National AR series which consists of your best 4 of 5 races...

WAR Glendalough
    West Wicklow Roar
    Gaelforce
    Achill Roar
    WAR Glenmalure

Next year there will be more races included and possibly Sprint/sport distance races.

Im on 50 points so far so:):)

none from GF tho:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

WAR Glendalough
    West Wicklow Roar
    Gaelforce
    Achill Roar
    WAR Glenmalure

Thanks GoHard. Thats what I was thinking about re top 100. Also when a sport is as physically and mentally challenging as AR I think one needs to allot significance and sense of achievement to things such as top 100,200, first 50%, finisher or whatever will give you a boost and encourage you next time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭smithwicks

[
    WAR Glendalough
    West Wicklow Roar
    Gaelforce
    Achill Roar
    WAR Glenmalure

Next year there will be more races included and possibly Sprint/sport distance races.[/QUOTE]

Will one have to be registered with AR Ireland to receive points?

I did a 5 hour GF taking 50 mins off 2009 time, next years goal is to get into the top 100 competitors. I can see myself competing solely in adventure racing for a long time. It would be cool to be able to compete abroad so forgive my ignorance in asking but what is the points process in Ireland and competing abroad. I am a relative novice.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

It would be cool to be able to compete abroad so forgive my ignorance in asking but what is the points process in Ireland and competing abroad. I am a relative novice.....[/QUOTE]

Its 100 points for 1st place, 99 for 2nd and so forth for the first 100 places. See www.msai.ie for details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ah place is important as well as time. I'd be disappointed to improve my time and not overall position.

It's a race after all. Something to aim for. Top 100, top 20%, top 10 etc. Also to chase those elusive AR series points.

For the Mountain Running Group that I am looking to set up, I advise to join up with Mayo Athletics Club as this would provide additional support and opportunities to compete in events such as Cross Country, and IMRA events. In our first ever outing in the IMRA World Trials/intercounties Mayo won the silver. But, it is not necessary, you can still join us for training.
    As for running in general and for next year's Gaelforce the most important factor that you will have to consider is Cardiovascular conditioning. Cross country and mountain running is the best way to get conditioned. In fact cross country running was invented by the Thames Valley Rowing club in the 19th Century as a way of staying fit when the Thames froze over during the winter.
    So please contact me at 086 084 0359 or rmalse@hotmail.com and we will start arranging training, well I won't be running for at least a week as I have a chest infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Does anyone know the name or number of the guy who ran most of the race cause his bike broke? I would really like to nominate him for this competition!

Competition 1 - Most Outstanding or Inspirational person
    Our staff and marshals can’t be everywhere for the whole event, and we are very aware that there are a number of competitors and marshals, that put themselves out for a fellow competitor.

So we are looking for your stories of that inspirational person who gave you their last bike tube and walked the rest of the race as their wheels fell off or that marshal who, just as you were about the give up, gave you that little bit of TLC that you needed to get you right back on track and over that finish line. Or perhaps after the event as you nursed your weary bones, a fellow competitor told you an inspiring story of why they competed in the race. Or maybe a member of the Civil Defence or Mayo Mountain Rescue had an impact on your experience?

So get writing and nominate that person!

Entries must be in by Friday October 8th 2010.

If you can let us know as much detail as possible about the person you are nominating - name, race number etc, so that we can easily identify the person to give them their prize.

We may publish some of these stories on the site but we will not do so without your permission, and names do not need to be used when published.

The winning nominated person will get a weekend away in Westport.

Yeah good idea

My nomination will be going to you though Fi, as I think anyone that perseveres for as long as you did deserves it! If that's ok with you of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

clearly :) wow would be chuffed to be nominated :)

The fella that ran almost the whole way was from Dublin and is a rugby player, I think that he is from Templeogue area. He was shattered by the time he got to me, but if we can get his name then I would like to be first to nominate him. But, I feel that this should be a joint honour as his friend stuck by him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement