Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Most Interesting Bridges

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Leinster Aqueduct carries the Grand Canal over the River Liffey nr.Sallins.
    Photo below from: http://www.irelandbyways.com/ireland-routes/byroute-8/byroute-91-co-kildare-co-laois/

800px-Leinster_Aqueduct.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

dannym08 wrote: »
    You must live near to me so. I was just gonna post a few of the aqueduct.

HPIM3363.jpg
    monasterevin04.JPG

Just in case anyone doesn't know the story, its where the Royal Canal passes over the River Barrow. Open to correction, but as far as I know, its the only water over water crossing in Ireland.

Monasterevin is actually full of bridges, within 100m of each other there is 3 road bridges, the canal bridge and a bridge for the the train. Off the top of my head I can think of another 5 or 6, that has to be a record for a town this size.

The venice of Ireland and that would be the Grand Canal crossing the Barrow, not the Royal.;) A branch of the canal also crosses two more rivers further south near Athy.

Pict9836.jpg

and

Pict9851.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

DWCommuter wrote: »
    The venice of Ireland.

yep, and thanks for pointing out that it is, in fact, the Grand Canal crossing the River Barrow. Head really isnt with me this evening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The Barrow Rail Bridge, neat Greatisland is impressive.
    Can't find many pics though!

Pict0349.jpg

Pict0351.jpg

The Drogheda Viaduct is impressive. Especially when going down the docks under the bridge.
    http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=images&county=LH&regno=13620012

2805151800_6b4c05f5f7.jpg?v=0

• Advertisement

OK, last one!
    The wooden bridge to bull island. Not many places you can drive on a wooden bridge
    IMG_0202.JPG

1005_BullIsland_Bridge.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Buttevant Clapper Bridge was erected in the early part of the 13th century by the Augustinian Friars of Ballybeg for convenience in crossing the Awbeg to their mill and lands beyond.
    A few Clapper or Cyclopean bridges also exist in Devonshire, but they are now very rare and this one is the finest in Ireland and well worth a visit.

Borris Viaduct -Co. Carlow Sixteen-arch limestone built former railway viaduct, c. 1860. Now closed. Designed by William le Fanu

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Great idea for a thread, and no discussion of bridges in Ireland is complete without some photos of the Westlink.

1. Here's a view taken from below, looking north towards Blanchardstown. The original 1990 bridge is on the left; the second bridge was completed in Septemeber 2003.
    IMG_3285.JPG

2. A similar view, taken up at road level.
    DSC00259.JPG

3. View from the pedestrian bridge at J7.
    IMG_3316.JPG

4. View from the park at Palmerston.
    IMG_3280.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

csd wrote: »
    Great idea for a thread, and no discussion of bridges in Ireland is complete without some photos of the Westlink.

Ahh, the Westlink brings back memories.

Back when they were building it crca 1990, I was doing Civil Engineering and we got a tour of the site, including a walk in the box of the box girder (under the road). Only a few sections had been joined up and we got the hairy view from an uncompleted end, down to the river. My vertigo wouldn't give me a chance nowadays.

The construction is also a bit interesting. The piers were built first, then a bit would be built to the south of the pier, then the north, and so on so the deck balanced a with bit of seesawing. Then two piers would meet but they'd be sagging a bit. To join them properly, they'd connect the pre-stress cables which run kind of along the bottom of the structure and pull the two ends up to form a level deck and seal them up.

A bit like this one but without cables and masts and much shorter spans. (Looking for better image)

Excuse me if I pass on admiring hideous mass concrete structures - the Westlink bridge has absolutely nothing going for architecturally whatever about its usefulness. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

The Roscor Bridge near Belleek, County Fermanagh.

It's like three bridges in one.

Streetview links:

Section 1

Section 2

Section 3

And looking back at it from the other direction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I take it it was blown up and 'repaired'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

MYOB wrote: »
    I take it it was blown up and 'repaired'?

I'm not sure to be honest, but I presume it's something like that!

Here's the only photograph I could find of it:

Pict2495.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, it certainly collapsed...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Since I've been off partying like the unemployed bum I am for the weekend I'll have to content myself with not being able to comment on all the fantastic bridges posted over the last couple of pages ... bar one ...

Seriously, the Westlink is an absolute disgrace. It is without doubt the absolute single worst bridge in the nation. When you're building a big infrastructure project you obviously have to consider the costs of what you're doing, I don't begrudge the use of simple bridges for flyovers and the like where all you want is just to have a crossing. There are some points you reach however where you have to sit back and ask yourself, should we do something special here? These are places that will come to be the defining points on that infrastructure. As an example I refer you to the Luas bridge in Dundrum I talked about earlier and the lovely Catherines Falls bridge. These are both bridges that could have been done on the cheap and simple but instead something more adventurous was undertaken.

What we choose to do when we reach these points makes a huge statement about who we are, not just to others but to ourselves because we get the infrastructure we choose to build. The Westlink taken by itself isn't a bad bridge per say, engineering-wise there's nothing wrong with it but the Westlink taken as the iconic and defining point on the M50 (which it is) is woeful. It's unadventurous, bland and niether good looking nor ugly, it's just there. Worse, we paid an astronomical cost for it which means we all hate it with a passion, if it were a bridge we could look on with pride and say to our visitors "see our vision of modern Ireland" might we not mind the price? What the Westlink says about us as a people is that we have no pride in our land or what we build there, it says that we are fools, it says that something is rotten at the heart of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Of course the Westlink is by no means the prettiest bridge in the country, but for something conceived and built in the late '80s (when the country was even more broke than it is now), you'd hardly expect the stuff of architectural awards. The M50 was only the third stretch of motorway opened in the country, and the Westlink first major road bridge project of its scale. As the industry in Ireland grew more confident and experienced, we got the later designs such as Boyne and Waterford, but the ugly old Westlink was the first!

While not pretty, it's certainly an important bridge, carrying ~ 100,000 vehicles per day, and the story of its eventual purchase by the state is certainly, ah, "interesting" to say the least.

/csd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Excuse me if I pass on admiring hideous mass concrete structures - the Westlink bridge has absolutely nothing going for architecturally whatever about its usefulness. :D

JD However interesting to see though how it compares with other pieces of fantastic bridge engineering witnessed already on this thread, yet this couple of hundred (I don't know the exact span doubtless someone will come in), metres of slabbed concrete and steel without so much as the challenge of the need for a suspension bridge across a ditch and a stream cost the ordinary folk of ireland so much pain anguish and to this day money.

To paraphrase Winston Churchill

"Never in the field of political corruption was so much paid by so many to so few"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

csd wrote: »
    While not pretty, it's certainly an important bridge, carrying ~ 100,000 vehicles per day, and the story of its eventual purchase by the state is certainly, ah, "interesting" to say the least.

/csd

...and here she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

The most expensive piece of concrete in the entire country - but lets not spoil this thread by dwelling on the corrupt nature of the statelet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Here's a really mad one over the Grand Canal in the midlands somewhere. Probably gone though.

GrandC16.jpg

• Advertisement

Here's a really mad one over the Grand Canal in the midlands somewhere. Probably gone though.

Mental but are you sure that it's not on the Dublin/Sligo line? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

f9gbv.png

That is at Connolly Station, This bridge lifts a section of track up on foru hydraulic rams to allow barges to pass underneath.

Another bridge which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned, although not that "interesting", certainly is beautiful.

Samue_Beckett_Bridge_BIG_Ronnie_Norton[1].jpg

Another pretty one is the Boyne Bridge, again not that interesting, but pretty. Modern lighting can do wonderful things.

Boyne-Bridge-Night2L.jpg

As for aqueducts, how many knew that you pass under the Royal Canal at the Blanchardstown exit of the M50

aMjSa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

GrandC16.jpg
    I think this still exists, it's on the Grand, near Rhode http://goo.gl/maps/undZ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

dannym08 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone doesn't know the story, its where the Royal Canal passes over the River Barrow. Open to correction, but as far as I know, its the only water over water crossing in Ireland.
    the Grand has plenty of aqueducts along it's route, before it hits the Shannon. There's also a Canal over road bridge at Edenderry, where the road travel under the canal in almost a tunnel (http://goo.gl/maps/6eGF).
    I presume the Royal would pass over the Boyne using an aqueduct, near Hill of the Downs in Meath, there's another canal over road bridge on the backroad to Longwood from near Mother Hubards

Bogger77 wrote: »
    I think this still exists, it's on the Grand, near Rhode http://goo.gl/maps/undZ

No, I'm sure that I saw it some north of Mullingar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Another bridge which I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned, although not that "interesting", certainly is beautiful.

Samue_Beckett_Bridge_BIG_Ronnie_Norton[1].jpg

That is a lovely bridge alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

http://www.pbase.com/alangrant/image/115392085
    the aqueduct where the royal canal crosses the Inny at Abbbeyshrule in Longford

In Cork city, you have the shakey bridge which does have a nice bounce to it.
    and the sets of bridges
    the big fella and the Long fellow

But more of interest, the two older lifting bridges
    Brian Boru and Clontarf

and lastly the bridge with traffic going the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

and of course the Craigavon Bridge, Derry
    one of the few double deckers, which orginally had rail downstairs and road upstairs. The lower deck was replaced by road in 1968 after the railway on the West bank had closed. Because of the sharp curves trains could not cross the bridge, but individual wagons could be shunted across.

Craigavon-Bridge-1930s.jpg

1382849_e0bdc883.jpg
    In deepest West Cork: Ballydehob Viaduct on the former narrow gauge West Carberry Tramway and Light Railway. The first train ran across the viaduct in 1886 and the last in 1947. It is well maintained and flood lit at night.
    © Copyright John M and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

Ahem, I'm sure Bertie would'nt forgive us if we forgot to mention this one, courtesy of his friend Harry Blaney:rolleyes:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3g7SKfNuVfwxnlVuLSBXx4cGdolNO6GS08lbgHgLQVN_kNtE&t=1&usg=__mrpedVp4otXV7Vyckwg5CsAqu6g=

Advertisement