Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

greenplain wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question about salt. For the event I have a camel pack that holds 2L of water and I also have a 1L bottle of water on my bike.

To avoid cramps I want to put some salt into the water. Can I use normal salt and how much will i put in, just a pinch ?

Try Nuuns tablets or Dioralyte mixed in the water on the camelbak, there are also energy drinks from the like of high5 that contain electrolytes already mixed in. Never tried mixing salt its self with water but it doesn't cound appealing - not sure you want to try it for the first time on GF either !
    You could also increase salt intake slightly in the next few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Arjan

Thanks so much everyone for contributing to this thread! It's helped me big time. Went into Cyclesurgery last night and bought loadsa gear. Only annoying thing is they sold me a space bag 'cause they were out of blankets. 12 euro for a heavier piece of kit that I'll hopefully never need!
    One question I still have: what will u guys be wearing before the race? Between leaving the B&B at 6 o'clock, getting the bus at 6.30 and starting at 8... we'll probably get cold? I was thinking of wearing 2€ tracksuit bottoms I have lying around and throwing it in a bin? Probably not the most nature friendly option, so I hope someone has a better idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Arjan wrote: »
    Thanks so much everyone for contributing to this thread! It's helped me big time. Went into Cyclesurgery last night and bought loadsa gear. Only annoying thing is they sold me a space bag 'cause they were out of blankets. 12 euro for a heavier piece of kit that I'll hopefully never need!
    One question I still have: what will u guys be wearing before the race? Between leaving the B&B at 6 o'clock, getting the bus at 6.30 and starting at 8... we'll probably get cold? I was thinking of wearing 2€ tracksuit bottoms I have lying around and throwing it in a bin? Probably not the most nature friendly option, so I hope someone has a better idea :)

Bring a black bin bag and make a hole for your head. Don't make arm holes. It's incredible how much warmer you'll feel with it on.

I'll be wearing my thermal top and rain jacket which I'll take off 5 minutes before the race and pack back into my bumbag. That should be enough. Won't be bothering with tracksuit bottoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

I'm going out there tonite Arjan, do they have a good range? i need tubes, a pump, a bag for the bike (for the previous).. it's the only place near me that's open late so is my only option ahead of friday.. they are also v helpful in there so i am hoping they'll show me how to change a tube!

i wouldnt worry about the cold element- but if you are, it's certainly nota bad idea to have a penneys tracksuit at hand. i dont remember feeling any cold last yr pre race.

Regarding the space blanket- that is annoying. tbh, last yr i brought my blanket and whistle to the kit check at registration, but no further.. i probably shouldnt be advocating that approach though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'll be wearing my thermal top and rain jacket which I'll take off 5 minutes before the race and pack back into my bumbag. That should be enough. Won't be bothering with tracksuit bottoms.

Same as myself, wear my rain jacket and buff until a while before the start. I'm bringing my cycling knee warmers just in case but I doubt I'll actually use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

they do a kit check??? Whoops, better get my ass in gear so!

By the by, does anyone know of any accomodation that may be going around Westport on Saturday night? IM booked into a b&b about 20km outside of westport but have no where to stay Sat night. My self and a friend were meant to be staing in someones house but thats fallen through, and there aint no way im drivin back to Dublin on the Saturday! Learned my lesson after the Conemara in May!

thehamo wrote: »
    they do a kit check??? Whoops, better get my ass in gear so!

By the by, does anyone know of any accomodation that may be going around Westport on Saturday night? IM booked into a b&b about 20km outside of westport but have no where to stay Sat night. My self and a friend were meant to be staing in someones house but thats fallen through, and there aint no way im drivin back to Dublin on the Saturday! Learned my lesson after the Conemara in May!

they were uber strict about the kit last yr, every single person was checked- different crowd organising this yr but you should atleast have plasters, whistle and blanket (and other mandatory bits and pieces)

not a bed to be had i'd say, maybe try ringing the tourist board. id imagine almost everyone is staying 2 nites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    I'm going out there tonite Arjan, do they have a good range? i need tubes, a pump, a bag for the bike (for the previous).. it's the only place near me that's open late so is my only option ahead of friday.. they are also v helpful in there so i am hoping they'll show me how to change a tube!

i wouldnt worry about the cold element- but if you are, it's certainly nota bad idea to have a penneys tracksuit at hand. i dont remember feeling any cold last yr pre race.

Regarding the space blanket- that is annoying. tbh, last yr i brought my blanket and whistle to the kit check at registration, but no further.. i probably shouldnt be advocating that approach though :)

As regards the pump - if I were you Wonka, I'd go with a CO2 inflator and cartridges - its unbelievably quick in comparison to using a pump, and will easily fit in the saddle bag. They are made to inflate to 120psi, and is literally done in a manner of seconds.
    Of course, its worth practising with a couple of cartridges first so you know what you're doing, but the time saving is immense.

As for me, I'm out of the race, I'm not fit enough to do it, so I'm pulling out.
    Now I know you'll all say just go and finish the race, but I'm too competitive to take it easy and know of someone who took months to recover from a similar situation last year - too stubborn to pull out when they should have known better.

Put simply, I did the Streets of Galway a couple of weeks ago, and was completely shattered after just 8k. I had a crap time, I didn't feel good afterwards, and if thats the state I was in from just 8k, there's no way I'd finish GF without a visit to the medics.

So for that reason, I'm gone - best of luck to all involved, I'm back to get some basic training in to regain the fitness I've lost, maybe next year.

what are you like spurs! ya big eejit.. i kinda of know where youre coming from but i'd say you'll be raging on the day. Before the race last yr i couldnt run more than 5km but i did it anyway, and by god was i glad afterwards.. did it in an ok time too of 6'20. I love a challenge though. cant wait to get out there on sat!

re the co2- is it not really dear? i dont mind one that'll take me a little longer as long as it's going to last a while and works.. excuse my ignorance, but would co2 pumps not need to be serviced? (sorry bit of a blonde when it comes to bike maintenance)

also, something that's been troubling me- the whole tube V tyre thing- i dont understand how its only the tube that needs changing- if, say, a bit of glass goes right through your tyre AND tube, is the trye not focked then as well? or do you continue cycling on it with the small hole and the fully inflated tube underneath? does it not mean the tube is more likely to puncture easily again?

confused about the whole thing. and as for the levers that i need- are these really necessary? as for the valve- that was a real spanner thrown in the works the other day

hopefully the lads in cyclesurgery can answer me all this tonite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Arjan

Thanks Wonkagirl. Cyclesurgery was VERY helpful but they were out of stock for a good few things. Ordered tri-shorts from a Mayo web-store this morning :)
    They'll certainly help you out with the bicycle. Myself, I'm relying on the gear supplied by this guy: bikehireireland.com. Hopefully it'll be all I need.
    Black bag for warmth is a good idea... it's more useful than the space blanket!

• Advertisement

. Cyclesurgery was VERY helpful but they were out of stock for a good few things.

that seems to be the problem everywhere. no wonder there's a recession and people cant spend money- shops are very low on stock- not only the cycle stores, but others too. last time i was out in cyclesurgery they didnt even have locks. god i really hope they'll at least have tubes, bike bags and pumps! that's all i need, i have everything else... wouldnt mind a gel saddle but would certainly get over it if i didnt manage to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

what are you like spurs! ya big eejit.. i kinda of know where youre coming from but i'd say you'll be raging on the day. Before the race last yr i couldnt run more than 5km but i did it anyway, and by god was i glad afterwards.. did it in an ok time too of 6'20. I love a challenge though. cant wait to get out there on sat!

re the co2- is it not really dear? i dont mind one that'll take me a little longer as long as it's going to last a while and works.. excuse my ignorance, but would co2 pumps not need to be serviced? (sorry bit of a blonde when it comes to bike maintenance)

also, something that's been troubling me- the whole tube V tyre thing- i dont understand how its only the tube that needs changing- if, say, a bit of glass goes right through your tyre AND tube, is the trye not focked then as well? or do you continue cycling on it with the small hole and the fully inflated tube underneath? does it not mean the tube is more likely to puncture easily again?

confused about the whole thing. and as for the levers that i need- are these really necessary? as for the valve- that was a real spanner thrown in the works the other day

You'll DEFINITELY need tyre levers and make sure they are good strong ones, I had cheapo ones that came with a multitool and snapped, luckily enough I'd a set of decent ones in my tool bag. Be positive, no punctures, keep saying it:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The tyre will be fine after a normal puncture. The hole will be so miniscule that you won't even be able to see it. The chances of any sharp object hitting the exact same spot is fairly remote. Just make sure you remove all the glass/shards from tyre before replacing tube.

You absolutely need the levers, otherwise you won't get the tyre off or on. Watch some Youtube some videos on changing a tube to understand how to use levers.

The Co2 cannisters just inflate your tyres without the need for a pump. Takes seconds rather than a couple of mins. The cannisters are bought seperately. If you never used them before, I wouldn't bother with them now at this late stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Ya, I was really annoyed at first at the thought of pulling out, but to be honest, I'm better off in the long run.
    I just don't have the training in me to do it, and as I said, I'm too competitive to just complete it at a relaxed pace, I'd be off like the clappers & in an ambulance by the time I reach CP.
    I've come to terms with pulling out, and heading to Dublin for weekend so I'm not stuck at home thinking, I should have just done it. :)

Here's the deal with the inflator....
    You buy the inflator (initially comes with a cartridge) and also spare cartridge. When you place the cartridge in the inflator & screw it into place, it pierces the top of the cartridge, ready for use. It should have a lock to prevent it going off in your saddle bag. when you need to inflate the tube, after replacing the punctured one with a new one, you simply attach the inflator in the same way as a pump, pull the trigger, and hey presto, tube inflated in a couple of seconds rather than minutes of frantic pumping.
    Don't be afraid to use the full cartridge, ie, let it empty fully, as this will inflate the tyre to the correct pressure.

As for the tyre/tube thing...
    The tyre can take a shard of glass, thumbtack, piece of wire, and still survive, the tube can't. Thing to note is, when you remove the tube, check the inside of the tyre with your fingers for any sharp objects, otherwise you'll have another flat in a few minutes.

Tyre levers - you need them to get one side of the tyre out of the rim to allow you to remove the tube.
    Here's where practice will be your best friend, they take a bit of messing about with to get them to stay in place while you pop out the next section of the tyre.

Hope that helps.

tks spurs, nerraw and new2biking. that's all very helpful indeed.

i think i'll go with the pump rather than the co2 for now. just sounds easier (although longer and more laborious).

halfords are open late tomorrow nite so if my trip to cyclesurgery fails tonite for supplies, halfords will get a go. I would way rather support local irish guys, but im under too much pressure now as i was away last wend. halfords will be well stocked i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Hi there,

Just wanted clarification that this is what I need:

Tyre levers
    Tube
    Pump

Is that it?

Been watching Youtube like a mad thing the past few nights, reckon I know the basic principles to change the tyre!!

Thanks!

Bike maintenance class is now top of my to do list!! ;)

2 tube fitzy, and also a good saddle bag thing to attach to the bike..

u and i both need serious bike maintenance classes by the sounds of it. i'm going to take mine off and on a rake of times

did i dream it or did someone say you shouldnt drive in the car with fully inflated tyres in case they burst?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Two tubes, great thanks!

Got the saddle bag and a basic repair kit already!

Can't wait to get home (from Mayo) and get going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Triptych

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Just pop into your local pharmacy and ask for diarolyte. It's less than a euro.

I have a newbie question here.

If you're throwing dioralyte into a litre bladder of water, would you mix it according to the standard solution of 1 sachet per 200 mill, or would you just put in 1 sachet?

I'm a regular consumer of dioralyte as hangover preventative and have always mixed it according to directions. (it's a miracle worker) However, I'm just wondering if drinking 5 sachets is overload?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

I have done a bit of a "Race Formguide" on my website
    http://www.msai.ie/adventure-race-ireland-organiser-points-series.php

Sure to be a few surprise entrants that I don't know and so have not mentioned but it is shaping up to be a great race for sure.

The Nat Adv Series thing is a bit of a tester for next year when it hopefully will be expanded to include other quality events and a Sports ranking as well as an Expert one.

It was originally to have been 4 out of 6 races but Diamond Quest got cancelled late on so now just 4 of 5. In retrospect having 3 out of 5 would prob be better as it is difficult to make every race due to other events, personal commitments and of course when the races get sold out well in advance but 'tis better than nuttin IMHO :)

• Advertisement

Triptych wrote: »
    I have a newbie question here.

If you're throwing dioralyte into a litre bladder of water, would you mix it according to the standard solution of 1 sachet per 200 mill, or would you just put in 1 sachet?

I'm a regular consumer of dioralyte as hangover preventative and have always mixed it according to directions. (it's a miracle worker) However, I'm just wondering if drinking 5 sachets is overload?

I'll be putting 1 into 1.5 ltrs. I'll throw a 2nd one into the water bottle on my bike then. I do personally think 5 sachets per litre is overload. Everybody is doing different things though, and the experts always say that your nutrition and hydration shoudl be pratised while you're training, and not done for the first time on race day..

you wont get much ''quench'' effect from pure diorlyte though, i'd go with 1 per litre max.

Excuseless wrote: »
    :)

That's brilliant! very enteraining read..

Do you automatically get AR points if you take part in the qualifying races, or do you need to register with MSAI or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Adi CkonSh

greenplain wrote: »
    Hi,

Quick question about salt. For the event I have a camel pack that holds 2L of water and I also have a 1L bottle of water on my bike.

To avoid cramps I want to put some salt into the water. Can I use normal salt and how much will i put in, just a pinch ?

I wouldn't just put salt in, it'll make you gag on it's own. You need to mix in something to disguise it too. If you want to get carbs from your drink too use 200ml of squash (eg ribena/miwadi) to 800ml of water with a pinch of salt, sea salt or himalayan rock salt are the best as they have more minerals and are less processed than table salt. I guess if you don't want the carbs use low cal squash or sugar free. I used the ribena mix last sun, had a 500ml bottle of this and a 500ml bottle of water alternating between the two, worked for me, but eveyone's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

Excuseless wrote: »

Sure to be a few surprise entrants that I don't know and so have not mentioned but it is shaping up to be a great race for sure.

The Nat Adv Series thing is a bit of a tester for next year when it hopefully will be expanded to include other quality events and a Sports ranking as well as an Expert one.

It was originally to have been 4 out of 6 races but Diamond Quest got cancelled late on so now just 4 of 5. In retrospect having 3 out of 5 would prob be better as it is difficult to make every race due to other events, personal commitments and of course when the races get sold out well in advance but 'tis better than nuttin IMHO :)

Bit peeved that there was no mention of me ;):D

as am i rebel.. horrified and appaled at the lack of mention given my current form :D The fact that i cant change a tube might be contributing to my lack of respect in AR circles :D:D:D

next yr, next yr. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭rebelreded

I must learn that skill tonight........you tube and the garden shed for me tonight until I can change a tube. The chain better not break because I definitely won't know how to fix that.:eek:

rebelreded wrote: »
    I must learn that skill tonight........you tube and the garden shed for me tonight until I can change a tube. The chain better not break because I definitely won't know how to fix that.:eek:

ah jesus dont throw that spanner in the works! if that happens, it happens, i'm jsut taking my chances i'm afraid. ive enough on my hands with the tubes. up until a week ago i didnt even realise that tyres and tubes were 2 separate things :D

re the chain- just dont change the gears while you're standing up in the saddle.. is that right, expert bikers? i heard that tip before.. i believe it was from brian keogh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

For inspiration

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTn1v5TGK_w

That'll be us...heading to Matt Molloys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Nearly there!

I tried to go for a run last night and just couldn't get the head right. Going to force myself to complete a handy 5-6k tonight.

I feel fat and unfit all week..:o

I just want to get stuck into it now..!

I completed the Sheaffry Challange on Saturday, couple of mins over two hours. It was a leisure cycle with a stop for tea in Lenane and another stop at the top of the huge hill!

58k in total and I felt pretty good after it so happy enough.

Couple of bits to pick up in terms of gear - Need a whistle and blanket. I'm also sweating on a Camelbak I have ordered in a cycle shop in Dublin. They said it should be in tomorrow.. fingers crossed.

I'm planning an Porridge, scrambled eggs, sausages and bananas in the morning. Along with Coffee & plenty of water.

This thread has been mighty.

Good luck everyone!

Advertisement