Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** Accommodation thread *** Queries & Availability

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

Have you tried the accommodation office in CIT?
    deirdre.falvey@cit.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tomkins

My son stayed in abbeyville appartments last year and I am still waiting for my deposit back from them. Never get an answer when i phone or tried emailing - no luck. I asked for a full breakdown of the charges and no answer. Am I alone or is this common for college accomadition?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

tomkins wrote: »
    My son stayed in abbeyville appartments last year and I am still waiting for my deposit back from them. Never get an answer when i phone or tried emailing - no luck. I asked for a full breakdown of the charges and no answer. Am I alone or is this common for college accomadition?:(

While I've never had any trouble getting a deposit back out of them, with ALL other issues they were terrible to deal with. I lived there for three years (believe me - not because I liked it but I was otherwise restricted). In my first year our room got infested with ants, yet we struggled to get a spare room while the infestation was cleared.
    The receptionists we had to deal with was just awful. I don't know if she's still there - from my experiences they seem to change every 2 years.
    If I were you I'd ring them up and ask to speak to Noel - the owner and try and get some satisfaction that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Hello lads n' ladies.

I'm looking for some advice on accommodation around CIT. I'm hopefully going to be doing a masters down there for a year this september and I'm wondering where ye would recommend staying?

Any info/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Hello lads n' ladies.

I'm looking for some advice on accommodation around CIT. I'm hopefully going to be doing a masters down there for a year this september and I'm wondering where ye would recommend staying?

Any info/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Hey there... if you want good advice on where to stay then I suggest you contact our resident accommodation officer by email at accommodation@cit.ie

They can give you plenty of info on places around the college. more info can be found here http://www.cit.ie/studentlife/accommodation/

Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Hey there... if you want good advice on where to stay then I suggest you contact our resident accommodation officer by email at accommodation@cit.ie

They can give you plenty of info on places around the college. more info can be found here http://www.cit.ie/studentlife/accommodation/

Hope this helps

Cheers for the contact details. Will email them this evening.

Have you any experience with the student accommodation in CIT? Seems to be the closest places to the actual campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If your doing a masters and have a tough year of it ahead then i would reccomend trying to find a house nearby where the people already there are working and not as inclined to be in party mode all year long.
    The student accomadation can be fine but if you end up with the wrong people it will mess up the year and cause hassle for ya.
    Theres a tonne of houses in the area with rooms to rent and if you explain what exactly your looking for that will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭MaMAme

Hi everyone. I will be starting a MA in art therapy in cork in september. Students are required to attend Mondays & Tuesdays each week. The classroom is in westside business park, just off Model Farm Rd. Do any of you have any advice on suitable accommodation? (I will be a mature -50yr old -Student)
    Have any of you taken this course?
    Where do students attending for 2 days usually stay, "student accommodation", hostels, B n Bs etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

You could look at

http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/Arcadia-Hall-Student-Accommodation-Cork-Cork-City-Centre-Co-Cork/665893/

It is on the city outskirts and has underground parking. Plus if required, a regular bus service runs from the train station across the road i.e. the No 5 which will drop right to CIT or UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

My mother just finished that course. She said that a number of students who were from outside of Cork would stay in Garnish house, on the western road and highly recommended it. Said they did really nice breakfasts and the place was really nice too. www.garnish-house.com

• Advertisement

Deliverance & Suppafly, I had just given up on anyone replying. Thanks for your helpful advice,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

No prob I'll keep this thread in mind when I am out and about. If any other places or situations suit I will put up more as such. It would help your thread a bit if you put up more about what kind of budget you have and whether you are ltd to part time accommodation as a rule (that would be difficult).

Plus, the earlier you get accommodation secured the better I think. I have found that choice places fill up fast once the students start to flood back in. Best of luck in the meantime and congrats on securing the course.

You are very good. I will most likley only stay Sun & Mon nights but it seems that a weeks student accommodation works out cheaper than 2 nights B & B. So I will probably go for the cheaper one, So long as it on the no.5 bus route. Thing is as a mature student (50) sharing with young exuberant, party orientaited students might be an issue, you know noise v sleep, sinks full of dirty dishes etc. So there are, as always, pros & cons:confused:

Has anyone stayed at on Model Farm Rd., at either the Abbeyville or Eden apartments ? What were they like?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Have stayed in Parchment Sq. the past two years!... Class accomadation compared to what i've seen around the country!! Living with 2 or 3 others usually... Plus good security! And easy to deal with if you have any problems like...

Eden hall is ok, wouldnt live there its a bit farther away that Parchment like...

And Abbeyville is great if you want to save money and live with a good few people, dont think there is any security..

Enjoy choosing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I have my deposit paid for Parchment Square. Looking forward to going there now :D

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    Have stayed in Parchment Sq. the past two years!... Class accomadation compared to what i've seen around the country!! Living with 2 or 3 others usually... Plus good security! And easy to deal with if you have any problems like...

Eden hall is ok, wouldnt live there its a bit farther away that Parchment like...

And Abbeyville is great if you want to save money and live with a good few people, dont think there is any security..

Enjoy choosing :D
    Thanks Glenviewjf, that was really helpful. I previously thought that it was Parchment that had loads of people, ....& from what I have now read it looks like Abbeyville are more expensive. Thanks again

callaway92 wrote: »
    I have my deposit paid for Parchment Square. Looking forward to going there now :D
    Yep, sounds like a good choice. Enjoy!

Parchment is really worth the money :D

Roll on september and let the fun begin :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I have a place reserved in Deans Hall and I was just wondering if anyone knows what its like?
    Is it a nice place? Are they strict on the no overnight guest policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

had a look in my apartment on Parchment yesterday, as I was in Cork. I asked reception there and they said no problem at all. The apartments themselves are v.nice and clean. Living room/Kitchen space is slightly cramped but that's the same with most places like it anyway. The area in the middle of all the apartments is v.nice, and the people at the reception are sound out too :)

Aw ya thats the way most are... Parchment defo seems to be the homyist!!..

Hahahaha there sound ya just dont get on the wrong side of them;)

Am its a grand place... Fairly modern appartments!! I think you can sign one guest in per night:confused:... As far as i know you can!!...

Its just above an offie, two pubs and a shop so your sorted ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

Why would you want to get on the wrong side of them . You are there to study for 6 months max , pass your exams & get out. If you live like a normal person & keep your head down & study , you pass & move on .
    Its the nearest big accomodation to the Cit , a few minutes walk to your class . If it was there when I was a student it would have been snapped up instead of grotty other accomodation around the area. College life is 6 months a year for 4 years, knucle down & study . Its worth it.

Hahahaha ok ya sure... Its college... You've got a life too... Its not all study study study... Its an experience... There is a lot of people who don't make second year!!.... And if you cause trouble in parchment sq you will get an earfull... Be realistic come on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Wooden Jesus

Lived in eden hall the last 2 years and parchement for the first year. Id recommend eden hall. Apartments are a bit nicer. Better security there and less chance of gettin in a bit of ****e over failing an inspection or whatever. Actually theres not many inspections in eden hall they only came to us twice last year. If theres any problems eden hall are quicker to respond. Broken oven fixed in eden hall the day we moved in and said it. Broken freezer door in parchment about 3 weeks after complaining every week about it. Eden Hall is a bit more expensive but you have the shop and offy and staff are better there

Dean's Hall is a very nice place compared to a lot of student accommodation. Nice rooms, good people and good security. Like the other fella said, close to the B'town Bar and the Outpost pub. Tesco is only a 10/15 minute walk one way and Centra about 5 the other. There's a small shop just down the road too.

One thing I will warn you about though, the washing machines (if you intend to use them that is) tend to leave your clothes dirtier than when they went in but I've been told that they're 'fixing it' for the new college year.

Wouldn't mind signing in people. They say they're strict but I've often stayed at a mates gaff for the night after drinking and no one bats an eyelid. Take it handy for the first few weeks though ;)

Yes i do agree Parchment are F**ckers for not fixing what you ask!!

Aren't Abbeyville apartments just accross road from Parchment?

• Advertisement

Yeah they're directly across the road from Parchement

Advertisement