Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera van on the quay opposite Capel St bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

BostonB wrote: »
    Why is it dangerous? Soon as you touch the brakes its off.

Because youre not fully in control of the car when its on cruise contol. Any guide you read about cruise control (certainly anything Ive ever read about it) says that its only supposed to be used while cruising on an open road when not in traffic. Presumably its something to do with the reaction time required to get back on the pedals to shut it off. I know when I had cruise control in my Accord I never felt at all comfortable using it in any kind of traffic as I always felt a lot more in control while driving normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

djimi wrote: »
    Pedestrians cannot cross wherever they feel like it. They can cross provided that it is safe to do so, but its unreasonable to expect drivers to drive at 10mph on the off chance stupid pedestrians will saunter out in front of your car without looking. Like I said above, the onus of safety is on pedestrians and drivers; drivers should be driving at a speed in which they can react but also pedestrians should be aware enough not to force a driver to take evasive action to avoid them.

I said they can cross where they like more or less in relation to Jay walking. It wasn't a sweeping statement. I think there is a rule about using a crossing if you are within a certain distance of it. But if you are not, then you can cross wherever. I was correcting that specific point.

I never mentioned anything about people crossing dangerously, like in the middle if a 5 way junction, or a drunk staggering out. Thats a different subject.

Because youre not fully in control of the car when its on cruise contol. Any guide you read about cruise control (certainly anything Ive ever read about it) says that its only supposed to be used while cruising on an open road when not in traffic. Presumably its something to do with the reaction time required to get back on the pedals to shut it off. I know when I had cruise control in my Accord I never felt at all comfortable using it in any kind of traffic as I always felt a lot more in control while driving normally.

Do you drive with your foot on the brake? If not whats the difference in reaction time.

TheBazman wrote: »
    I know of someone who got a ticking off from a Garda for jaywalking ( or whatever you like to call it) on Gardiner Street

So what? That doesn't mean its law. It wouldn't be the first time a Garda got it wrong would it.

Do you drive with your foot on the brake? If not whats the difference in reaction time.

No but I drive with my foot on the pedal beside the brake. In my old car if I had my foot resting on the brake or throttle pedals the cruise control would switch off so I had to rest my foot on the floor. Big difference in the reaction times between going from throttle to brake than going from floor to brake. Maybe that was just the case with my car tho...

• Advertisement

I said they can cross where they like more or less in relation to Jay walking. It wasn't a sweeping statement. I think there is a rule about using a crossing if you are within a certain distance of it. But if you are not, then you can cross wherever. I was correcting that specific point.

I never mentioned anything about people crossing dangerously, like in the middle if a 5 way junction, or a drunk staggering out. Thats a different subject.

It was the way you said "They can cross anywhere, more or less. So you drive accordingly." which to me reads like pedestrians can cross the road where ever the want to, and the onus is on drivers to ensure that there is not one walking out in front of their car, rather than on the pedestrian to ensure that they are not walking out in front of a car. In my mind the onus is on the pedestrian not to walk out in front of a moving car, not for drivers on the main road to slow to crawling speed every time they see a pedestrian in case they might wander out in front of them.

Apologies if I took you up wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If you read whats written all I said was you are incorrect in your assumption that people have to cross at crossings, and they are jay walking when they don't. Don't make stuff up. Thx.

You should take your own advice and read what's written.

I never said they "had to cross" at designated crossings, I asked "shouldn't they?"

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

It might be a chore, but the car can do it. The problem isn't the car.

Get cruise control if you are unable to drive at a specific speed.
    cruise control wont work in most cars at 30km/h

Cruise control is really for motorway driving... not city built up driving.

As said about about CC won't work under 30mph/50kph in some cars. Also some cars won't allow you select CC in a gear under 4th!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Heroditas wrote: »
    What do you suggest I call people who walk out in front of cars?

Organ donors?

Also, if someone walks out in front of a car, they broke the law:
    A pedestrian shall exercise care and take all reasonable precautions in order to avoid causing danger or inconvenience to traffic and other pedestrians.[1]

But of course it's always the drivers fault in this country.

No but I drive with my foot on the pedal beside the brake. In my old car if I had my foot resting on the brake or throttle pedals the cruise control would switch off so I had to rest my foot on the floor. Big difference in the reaction times between going from throttle to brake than going from floor to brake. Maybe that was just the case with my car tho...

You need to do it that often than you need your foot on the pedal. :eek:

• Advertisement

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

TheBazman wrote: »
    I know of someone who got a ticking off from a Garda for jaywalking ( or whatever you like to call it) on Gardiner Street

It's "jaywalking" (or whatever we call it in this country) if you're within 15m of a crossing and cross against the light. If you're more than 15m from the crossing, then you're allowed cross when there's a gap in traffic.

You should take your own advice and read what's written.

I never said they "had to cross" at designated crossings, I asked "shouldn't they?"

The answer is still no, in Ireland. (with the exception of the distance limit).

In other countries it would be yes.

It was the way you said "They can cross anywhere, more or less. So you drive accordingly." which to me reads like pedestrians can cross the road where ever the want to, and the onus is on drivers to ensure that there is not one walking out in front of their car, rather than on the pedestrian to ensure that they are not walking out in front of a car. In my mind the onus is on the pedestrian not to walk out in front of a moving car, not for drivers on the main road to slow to crawling speed every time they see a pedestrian in case they might wander out in front of them.

Apologies if I took you up wrong.

Far enough.

I think the point, is drivers shouldn't expect pedestrians only at junctions/crossings. Thats completely unrealistic in Ireland. You might not agree with it, but thats the reality. Especially with lack of enforcement.

Huh?

You should have enough time in normal driving to move you foot from the floor to the brake pedal.

You should have enough time in normal driving to move you foot from the floor to the brake pedal.

And when using cruise control properly, ie when cruising on an open road, then you do, but in traffic or when driving thru a city that split second could make the difference. I know it sounds pedantic but its longer than it feels. Or again maybe thats just me...

I should clarify, I don't agree with the limits. But they are not enforced 99% of the time anyway. So most of the traffic is usually flying down the quays when theres no traffic, its more like 50~80 is the norm off peak. Theres a lot of pedestrian traffic in places on the quays. Its not a good mix. Though I'd say the lousy lane marking cause most of the accidents between vehicles. Most pedestrian accidents are most likely in the areas with heavy pedestrians.

But people saying its physically impossible to drive at 30km/h is ridiculous. You shouldn't be on the road if you can't. Deciding not to, thats different. Expecting people to walk between bridges to cross is completely unrealistic also.

I should clarify, I don't agree with the limits. But they are not enforced 99% of the time anyway. So most of the traffic is usually flying down the quays when theres no traffic, its more like 50~80 is the norm off peak. Theres a lot of pedestrian traffic in places on the quays. Its not a good mix. Though I'd say the lousy lane marking cause most of the accidents between vehicles. Most pedestrian accidents are most likely in the areas with heavy pedestrians.

But people saying its physically impossible to drive at 30km/h is ridiculous. You shouldn't be on the road if you can't. Deciding not to, thats different. Expecting people to walk between bridges to cross is completely unrealistic also.

Why? Its a busy, dangerous stretch of road, and its hardly miles between pedestrian lights, especially up towards O'Connell Bridge where most of the pedestrian traffic is. Its hardly much of a heartache to walk for 20-30 seconds to the pedestrian lights if it means being able to cross the road safely, is it?

And when using cruise control properly, ie when cruising on an open road, then you do, but in traffic or when driving thru a city that split second could make the difference. I know it sounds pedantic but its longer than it feels. Or again maybe thats just me...

I know what you mean. It was a tongue in cheek comment aimed at those unable to drive a constant speed.

That said, theres lots of wide, even multi lane urban roads (even major roads) with unsuitable low limits, and no traffic and the garda use them to catch fish in a barrel. If you drive in england you'll see all the cars yoyo'ing speed to avoid the speed cameras. Here we just mainly ignore the limits.

Why? Its a busy, dangerous stretch of road, and its hardly miles between pedestrian lights, especially up towards O'Connell Bridge where most of the pedestrian traffic is. Its hardly much of a heartache to walk for 20-30 seconds to the pedestrian lights if it means being able to cross the road safely, is it?

Why? Human nature and lack of enforcement.

Theres a lot of pedestrian traffic around Capel St too.

• Advertisement

Why? Human nature and lack of enforcement.

Theres a lot of pedestrian traffic around Capel St too.

People being too lazy to walk to the lights and it being unrealistic for people to walk to the lights are two different things. I dont think its unrealistic for people to walk to the next set of pedestrian lights.

There are two sets of pedestrian lights at and in close proximity to Capel St.

I mean as a driver the assumption they'll cross at the junction in unrealistic.

I agree, as a driver you never assume anything, especially when it comes to pedestrians, but at the same time you cant drive along at 10mph on the off chance one of them might do something stupid.

There are reasonable degrees of expectation that you can have as a driver in my opinion, and in this case its that you should be able to quite safely drive at 50kmph on the quays in the knowledge that at that speed you can cope with any situation that may arise. This is where the onus is on the pedestrian to ensure their own safety.

But it is 50 in parts?

IMO, the parts that are 30 are arguably among the busiest pedestrian routes in the country. The parts that aren't are are arguably among the most dangerous for cyclists in the country, primarily due to the speed and poor lane layout. Especially the south side quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭greenasgrass

Philip42 wrote: »
    Hi guys..this may be well known but in case anyone doesn't, I got flashed by a speed camerain a parked white wan opposite CApel St bridge the other night..I had only crossed the bridge and went around the corner when I saw it go off..can't have been doing more than 40k at the time and i know it's 30k along there before anyone says it..just thought I might save someone else the hassle and the penalty points!

Hmmm. This thread seems to have turned into a debate about cruise control.... I got caught on the quays saturday night also. Just after midnight I think. I reckon I was doing around 45-50 at the time.

I have to say that I was absolutely livid at the time and think that this is a pure money making thing. If is saves one life even though then I'm all for it but I really doubt that it will. The fact is that doing 30kmph is very very difficult even for a short distance so all that will happen is people will continue to do about 50kmph (and in my experience this has been the case so far as I use the quays once or twice a week) and will get caught on the odd occasion that the gards come out to fulfil thier quotas.

In the meantime it's €80 for me and 2 penalty points for my trouble. Last time I do designated driver for the lads going into town!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

I stay out of the 30km/h zones in Dublin city centre, since those clowns introduced that REGIME.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Shouldn't they cross at designated pedestrian crossings or are you advocating jay-walking?

They should but if you end up with one smeared over your windscreen will it make it any easier to deal with that they were crossing in the worng place?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,950 ✭✭✭✭Stark

jock101 wrote: »
    I stay out of the 30km/h zones in Dublin city centre, since those clowns introduced that REGIME.:rolleyes:

I reckon that counts as a success from their point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

Stark wrote: »
    I reckon that counts as a success from their point of view.

Well, its just not worth the hassle with pig ignorant cyclists, pedestrians and other motorists tailgating you. Not to mention the constant fear of our State revenue enforcers with radar guns or white vans! I just dont shop in town anymore. Suburban shopping centres or out of state thesedays!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

BostonB could you be any more arrogant? I'm not going to BUY a different car just because my own isn't comfortable at 30km/h FFS.

Advertisement