Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed camera van on the quay opposite Capel St bridge

Options
  • 25-07-2010 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hi guys..this may be well known but in case anyone doesn't, I got flashed by a speed camerain a parked white wan opposite CApel St bridge the other night..I had only crossed the bridge and went around the corner when I saw it go off..can't have been doing more than 40k at the time and i know it's 30k along there before anyone says it..just thought I might save someone else the hassle and the penalty points!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Cheers for that I'm on the quays reguarly...Jesus they really are scraping the barrel for funds now. Why not put camera on a stretch of road that needs them.

That said, some people do go very fast down the quays but 50km/h is not unreasonable, especially at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Thats a disgrace it is nearly impossible to go 30kph down the quays.

OP should get on to the radio shows.

How is this still in force?

And before the high horse brigade get on this its the limit and though/ this is an unfair money making racket limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

sdonn wrote: »
    That said, some people do go very fast down the quays but 50km/h is not unreasonable, especially at night.
    When visibility is less and pedestrians, possibly with a glass or two of wine in them might be trying to cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

When visibility is less and pedestrians, possibly with a glass or two of wine in them might be trying to cross?

Shouldn't they cross at designated pedestrian crossings or are you advocating jay-walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I can see peds ahead at 50km/h, and stop quite happily in about 50 metres at that speed. The quays also have 2-3 lanes the whole length so peds can be steered round.

I tried to go exactly 30km/h in my car the other night in town, I had to drop to 2nd gear and the engine didn't sound all too healthy. There are risks in every walk of life, but this is PC gone stir fúcking crazy. STUPID idea especially when there's not a sinner on the road, be it in a car or falling around the pavement.

What's needed is a few cops to actually enforce jaywalking rules - example, a randomer launched himself into the road in front of me a few nights ago, legging it across the road without even bothering to look. I let him have it with lights+horn, and what do I get? Abuse for not killing the ****. I wish I could have mown him down tbh.

The scary thing? If I'd hit him, I would of course be responsible.

Senseless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

How many cyclists slow down when there are pedestrians on the road...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Heroditas wrote: »
    Shouldn't they cross at designated pedestrian crossings or are you advocating jay-walking?

AFAIK theres no such thing as Jay Walking in Ireland.

sdonn wrote: »
    I....I tried to go exactly 30km/h in my car the other night in town, I had to drop to 2nd gear and the engine didn't sound all too healthy.....

Inappropriate speed limits are one thing. But you've a different problem. So I'm curious, if you (or your car) can't drive at 30km/h how do you drive in traffic moving at 30km/h? or drive around a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Turpentine

BostonB wrote: »
    Inappropriate speed limits are one thing. But you've a different problem. So I'm curious, if you (or your car) can't drive at 30km/h how do you drive in traffic moving at 30km/h? or drive around a car park.

I think the point s/he's trying to make is that 30km/h is too fast for 2nd gear and too slow for 3rd. It's something that I find as well: you have to push too hard in 2nd and if you move up to 3rd it's a chore to keep the car below 30. It's just an awkward limit if you have to drive it for an extended time i.e. at night when the traffic is not stop-start.

AFAIK theres no such thing as Jay Walking in Ireland.

What do you suggest I call people who walk out in front of cars?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i got caught by it too last sunday , i was doing 40 on the clock which is 37-38 actual

What do you suggest I call people who walk out in front of cars?

Anything you like. But its not jay walking as we don't have that law. So they can cross anywhere they like, more or less.

Turpentine wrote: »
    I think the point s/he's trying to make is that 30km/h is too fast for 2nd gear and too slow for 3rd. It's something that I find as well: you have to push too hard in 2nd and if you move up to 3rd it's a chore to keep the car below 30. It's just an awkward limit if you have to drive it for an extended time i.e. at night when the traffic is not stop-start.

It might be a chore, but the car can do it. The problem isn't the car.

Get cruise control if you are unable to drive at a specific speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

cruise control wont work in most cars at 30km/h

cruise control wont work in most cars at 30km/h

Assuming you have a problem driving at a specific speed. Buy a car that it does work in then. A quick google suggests that most cruise control system start at 30 km/h. Or maybe cycle.

Anything you like. But its not jay walking as we don't have that law. So they can cross anywhere they like, more or less.

Fine, I'll continue to call it jaywalking, seeing that the term refers to:
    Jaywalking is an informal term commonly used in North America to refer to illegal or reckless pedestrian crossing of a roadway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaywalking

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

i got caught by it too last sunday , i was doing 40 on the clock which is 37-38 actual

Cheers Eric..it really is a bull**** limit..nothing but a money spinner for the government..I had only come across the bridge and around the corner to I can't have been going that fast myself..

Yes but the specific point you made (quoted) was they should only cross at pedestrian crossings and anything else is jay-walking. Thats wrong. Simple as. They can cross anywhere, more or less. So you drive accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Assuming you have a problem driving at a specific speed. Buy a car that it does work in then. A quick google suggests that most cruise control system start at 30 km/h. Or maybe cycle.

Never said it didnt work in ALL cars but MOST it wont.

And I can drive fine at the ridiculous 30km/h limit.

Dont take everything you google as gospel.

Never said it didnt work in ALL cars but MOST it wont.

And I can drive fine at the ridiculous 30km/h limit.

Dont take everything you google as gospel.

You don't need it then. Though tbh its very handy for sticking to speed limits.

Hence why I said "suggests"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ridiculous limit tbf. When its busy you cant go more than that speed anyway, and when its not busy its not necessary. 50kmph is sufficient imo; its slow enough that you can stop in time if needs be and its also slow enough that pedestrians can see you coming. If a pedestrian is too drunk/stupid to not be able to avoid a car going that speed then chances are theyre just as likely to walk out in front of a car going 30kmph.

There is equal onus on both drivers and pedestrians with regards safefy when in the city center, and Im very much of the belief that pedestrians should be made to take responsibility for their own actions and drivers should not be crippled just because some morons are too stupid to know how to cross a road safely.

Yes but the specific point you made (quoted) was they should only cross at pedestrian crossings and anything else is jay-walking. Thats wrong. Simple as. They can cross anywhere, more or less. So you drive accordingly.

So you actually do advocate people recklessly crossing the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Turpentine wrote: »

50km/hr is the point where I generally change from 3rd gear to 4th gear in my car so that's just as awkward from a gear change point of view. (Although most people on the quays get round that one by tearing down at 70km/hr+). 30km/hr is a frustrating speed to drive at but that's a driver issue, not a vehicle issue.

Tbh, if they had enforced the 50km/hr limit that was there previously, they would have done a lot for pedestrian safety. Even with the new 30km/hr limit, I still get tailgated and overtaken for driving at 50.
    Heroditas wrote:

Personally, I have nothing against them turning the city centre into a shared space.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

It might be a chore, but the car can do it. The problem isn't the car.

Get cruise control if you are unable to drive at a specific speed.

Cruise control should only be used when cruising on an open road and when not in traffic. Suggesting that someone use cruise control when driving down the quays in Dublin in dangerous and irresponsible.

Pedestrians cannot cross wherever they feel like it. They can cross provided that it is safe to do so, but its unreasonable to expect drivers to drive at 10mph on the off chance stupid pedestrians will saunter out in front of your car without looking. Like I said above, the onus of safety is on pedestrians and drivers; drivers should be driving at a speed in which they can react but also pedestrians should be aware enough not to force a driver to take evasive action to avoid them.

Stark wrote: »
    Personally, I have nothing against them turning the city centre into a shared space.

You know what, neither do I. I love the idea of a city centre with minimal amounts of traffic. It would be absolutely fantastic and would be marvellous for tourism.

Unfortunately, everything is done half-assed here and instead we have the city centre snarled up with slow moving traffic and poor public transport with ninja pedestrians playing chicken with vehicles. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I have to wonder if road safety advocates can hear themselves. They're as bad as DCC and their ilk when it comes to sanctimony and pedantry. Do ye not realise that acting like you're better than others is not a way to bridge gaps? Do ye know what the word "diplomacy" means?

If you read whats written all I said was you are incorrect in your assumption that people have to cross at crossings, and they are jay walking when they don't. Don't make stuff up. Thx.

djimi wrote: »
    Cruise control should only be used when cruising on an open road and when not in traffic. Suggesting that someone use cruise control when driving down the quays in Dublin in dangerous and irresponsible.

Why is it dangerous? Soon as you touch the brakes its off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I know of someone who got a ticking off from a Garda for jaywalking ( or whatever you like to call it) on Gardiner Street

Advertisement