Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Brand of Petrol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Sandwlch wrote: »
    I only use Texaco because it has Techron in it. Its good for your engine. I even saw a cab driver from New York on TV the other day saying the same thing. And if anyone knows what petrol is best then its New York cab drivers. Fact. End of.

ya and I have a modified Mazda RX7 and a silly accent, I know cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MYOB wrote: »
    Only places which use Whitehead-sourced E5
    You mean E5 comes out of spots?!?!?!??:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Good job I washed my tank out with Biactol after using it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I use mostly Tesco as I get clubcard points, most of which can be exchanged for 4 times face value tokens to use on Irish Ferries, Dublin Zoo, Legoland, Stena Line, the National Aquatic Centre etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

mike65 wrote: »
    The cheapest at any given time within easy reach.
    ^
    This tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭mikewest

As per Max Power1 and Mike65 cheapest on any given day with the exception of one filling station where they would have to pay me to fill up.

However in England I have found Shell super plus slightly better (incidently among manufacturer recommended)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kasper wrote: »
    i think tesco in mullingar is the newest filling station so they would have newer tanks ,i would think older tanks would have more chance of corrosion , but maybe someone here knows something about maintenace that might have to be carried periodically

There's extensive filtering kit in the pumps themselves, so corrosion of tanks isn't going to lead to bits of rusty metal getting through.

Hammertime can probably remind me if there's generally a water seperator or not, I can't actually remember... but basically if the pumps are in proper working order, no crud from the tank will get through.

However based on the general rattiness of my local Tesco filling station I'd expect them to have the worst care and maintaince procedures going for their kit! And its the newest in the town by far too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Not sure about petrol so long since I used it but diesel seems to be the same all over. Had to pull in to Mitchelstown Amber Station this morning though, I hope the petrol is cleaner than the quite run-down pumps and forecourt!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Dont really mind, maxol and texaco would be my most common because there closest , but i never fill up at tesco , the 3 or 4 times ive used their diesel my jeep/van has started like a bag of hammers on a cold day , could be improper maintenence of their filters or some blending issue , dont know, all i know is its never happened with other stations

• Registered Users Posts: 37 theshaft

Havnt seen ne mention of Apple Green which i like. Remember chatting to sum random mature student once who said the did a study in college to find the cleanest petrol. Said Topaz came out on top by a hair. Apple Green seemed to do quite well also. Told me to stay away from Tesco lol. I put Tesco in the tank once, nd even the smell of it put me off. Nd ive just heard a gud few bad stories about it. Not a huge amount of apple green around but they're always really well priced i find. Nd they're the ones opening those large service station on the M1 now aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

theshaft wrote: »
    Havnt seen ne mention of Apple Green which i like. Remember chatting to sum random mature student once who said the did a study in college to find the cleanest petrol. Said Topaz came out on top by a hair. Apple Green seemed to do quite well also. Told me to stay away from Tesco lol. I put Tesco in the tank once, nd even the smell of it put me off. Nd ive just heard a gud few bad stories about it. Not a huge amount of apple green around but they're always really well priced i find. Nd they're the ones opening those large service station on the M1 now aswell.

Im sure I am speaking for 99% of boards.ie members, please no text speak.

For those who don't understand text speak, your post should have been (The grammer still could be better):
    I haven't seen any mention of Apple Green which I like. I remember chatting to some random mature student once who said the did a study in college to find the cleanest petrol, they said Topaz came out on top by a hair. Apple Green seemed to do quite well also. They told me to stay away from Tesco lol. I put Tesco in the tank once and even the smell of it put me off. I have recently heard many bad stories about it and there is not a large amount of Apple Green around but they're always really well priced I find and they are the ones opening those large service station on the M1 now as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

For the love of god Mullingar thats pedantic to the extreme. I agree with you on the txt speak but that post was hardly illegible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

mullingar wrote: »

For those who don't understand text speak, your post should have been (The grammer still could be better):

Please leave the moderating to the mods. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

One think I will say is that there is this train of thought out there that each brand of petrol is different. Im not here to debate that because I dont care enough.

What i will say is that my Maxol station has been approached by people with blank tankers of fuel and they asked us if we wanted it. We were asked that and they said they would do it at the night time so no one say a non maxol truck/tank combo.

What the station owner told me is that if they did do that and someone had a problem with the fuel then they have to account for the fuel put inthe car. If there is no maxol delivery notice the garage is in the ****.

Relevant or not I decided to share :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

bbk wrote: »
    One think I will say is that there is this train of thought out there that each brand of petrol is different. Im not here to debate that because I dont care enough.

What i will say is that my Maxol station has been approached by people with blank tankers of fuel and they asked us if we wanted it. We were asked that and they said they would do it at the night time so no one say a non maxol truck/tank combo.

What the station owner told me is that if they did do that and someone had a problem with the fuel then they have to account for the fuel put inthe car. If there is no maxol delivery notice the garage is in the ****.

Relevant or not I decided to share :p

them 'people' are called the Provos.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hammertime wrote: »
    them 'people' are called the Provos.
    I think you may be a few years out of date there.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think you may be a few years out of date there.;)

ok then, 'lowlife scum'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

The cheapest, I'm not running an Aston Martin or anything like it so I don't have to worry about it affecting performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

1013303_e86612fc.jpg

I tend to get my petrol at Applegreen stations simply because its always cheaper there! By the way, I agree with all the previous comments re one 'brand' being exactly the same as another, but recently a petrol sttendant in an Applegreen station told me that although petrol was cheaper at their pumps, Texaco petrol was better :cool: :confused: I smiled & though to myself 'He's no Applegreen salesman' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Chippy01

+ 1 for AppleGreen.
    I used to use Tesco, but because of thier 'you've got to take your helmet off' policy (even if you wear an open-face or flip-lid like I do), I moved to Applegreen. No such problems there.
    For the past year or so I've been doing the same mileage every day, at roughly the same speed, and because of my bike's tank limitation, I have to refuel every day.
    When I was using Tesco fuel I could use anywhere between 6 - 8 litres per day. I can imagine a slight fuel increase if running against a strong wind - but 2 litres worth? I don't think so!
    Now I'm using AppleGreen my usage is between 6 - 6.5 litres per day.
    Both stations are within 1/2 km of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

If I'm running out of fuel near work, then it's Topaz.

If I'm running out of fuel on the Motorway on the way home, it's Applegreen.

If I have enough to get to Tesco I'll head there for the points.

My last fill in Tesco didn't seem to give such great MPG, but that could have been down to crap traffic rather than the fuel.

Haven't noticed any difference in how the car runs whichever fuel is in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Talking of 'Topaz', are they Spanish, South American or what ? the name certainly sounds a bit spanish to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jimmy99

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 37 theshaft

mullingar wrote: »

Please, post the 99% result of this user survery. I just love being attacked with a keyboard. The most honourable and uncowardly kind of assault. :D Spank me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Always got more milage from €10 of petrol in Great Gas than anywhere else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

pajor wrote: »
    Always got more milage from €10 of petrol in Great Gas than anywhere else
    Is that eight months ago, now, or both :confused:

What happens if you get €15 worth, does the mpg decrease?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Yeah.. *ahem* that was eight months ago, but I'm sure the same would apply, doesn't matter on the price.

Don't have a car now though so can't really tell you :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

LordSutch wrote: »
    Talking of 'Topaz', are they Spanish, South American or what ? the name certainly sounds a bit spanish to me!

They're from Clonskeagh.

Texaco (Chevron Ireland) and Esso (ROC) are the only non-Irish owned forecourt brands here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Maxol fuel for me, the car runs terrible on anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I've certainly noticed I get worse fuel economy from the cheaper independent or off-brand stations. I usually stick to Texaco, Maxol or Topaz because of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

I've certainly noticed I get worse fuel economy from the cheaper independent or off-brand stations. I usually stick to Texaco, Maxol or Topaz because of this.

And how do you measure your fuel economy?

Advertisement