Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Brand of Petrol

Options
  • 17-07-2010 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭

what do you find the Best Brand of Petrol , not concerned about the amount of mpg you get ,just what your car runs best on :)

What brand of petrol does your car run best on 171 votes

TEXACO
    0% 0 votes
    TOPAZ
    17% 30 votes
    ESSO
    26% 46 votes
    MAXOL
    12% 22 votes
    TESCO
    36% 62 votes
    2% 5 votes
    GREAT GAS
    0% 1 vote
    OTHER
    2% 5 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no such thing as 'brands' of petrol in Ireland, the raw fuel stock comes from one of two sources (Whitegate refinery or 'not refined in Ireland') and any post-delivery additives are inconsistantly applied even across the same brand name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I have found I get less mpg from the cheaper garages, compared to paying a couple of cent more in the likes of Maxol. Ive always prefered using the Maxol in my area anyway. The difference between paying 134 for Maxol or 131 for a cheaper petrol equates to about a quarter of a litre in €20, or roughly 30c worth of petrol, so I really have no problem paying a little more for what Im happy with.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i tend to use Maxols E5
    1. maxol is on my way home, i dont have to go out of my way
    2. its cheaper than my local places
    3. its supposed to be 99.2 ron

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

I always try and go to Texaco as it has Techron which helps the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

kceire wrote: »
    i tend to use Maxols E5
    1. maxol is on my way home, i dont have to go out of my way
    2. its cheaper than my local places
    3. its supposed to be 99.2 ron

Exact same reasons,find it gets less mpg tho :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The cheapest at any given time within easy reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

MYOB wrote: »
    There is no such thing as 'brands' of petrol in Ireland, the raw fuel stock comes from one of two sources (Whitegate refinery or 'not refined in Ireland') and any post-delivery additives are inconsistantly applied even across the same brand name.

That maybe so but there is still big differences in the way a car runs on different brands I personally notice my car runs better on texaco and maxol than other brands and definately notice I get far less miles out of a tank from maxol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

BP, total and maxol.

i find the supermarkets ones poor, so i wouldn't buy from there even though they are cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

No such thing as a better brand, its all generic and as already posted either imported or from Whitegate

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

davy_b wrote: »
    That maybe so but there is still big differences in the way a car runs on different brands I personally notice my car runs better on texaco and maxol than other brands and definately notice I get far less miles out of a tank from maxol

There may be a big difference on the way cars run on different "brands" but as I said, there aren't any "brands"!

All petrol sold in Ireland is E5 of varying blends, either the 99.2 octane blend produced in Whitegate or anywhere from 95 to 100 octane from abroad. The higher octane blends will generally give slightly lower MPG.

Most stations do not put any post-delivery additives in, Texaco at least claim to. But the raw fuel stock they're getting is either identical (if off Whitegate) or utterly inconsistant (but within the limits of what can be sold as 95 octane).

Its impossible to talk about "Topaz petrol" as a brand seeing as in different parts of the country it'll be coming from different sources, and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

sorry im confused you admit cars run differently on different brands but then say they are no brands and are all the same :confused::confused: i dont care if they are all from the same origin they all start off from the same origins under ground anyway with slightly different blends im asking what blend do you find best
    There may be a big difference on the way cars run on different "brands" but as I said, there aren't any "brands"!

All petrol sold in Ireland is E5 of varying blends, either the 99.2 octane blend produced in Whitegate or anywhere from 95 to 100 octane from abroad. The higher octane blends will generally give slightly lower MPG.

Most stations do not put any post-delivery additives in, Texaco at least claim to. But the raw fuel stock they're getting is either identical (if off Whitegate) or utterly inconsistant (but within the limits of what can be sold as 95 octane).

Its impossible to talk about "Topaz petrol" as a brand seeing as in different parts of the country it'll be coming from different sources, and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

voted other....the only real difference is the marketing.

davy_b wrote: »
    sorry im confused you admit cars run differently on different brands but then say they are no brands and are all the same :confused::confused: i dont care if they are all from the same origin they all start off from the same origins under ground anyway with slightly different blends im asking what blend do you find best

How are you confused?

I said cars can run on different brands, but THERE ARE NO BRANDS in Ireland. There are no "blends" either, as such.

The petrol you get in Tesco one week and the petrol you get in Tesco the next week are not guaranteed to be the same blend. They're not guaranteed to be the same *octane* even.

Only places which use Whitehead-sourced E5 can guarantee an octane figure (and even then the specific blend used will vary based on climate and the like). And Whitehead only supplies about 30% of the usage of the country.

The majority of "my car runs better on X" cases are entirely pscyhological.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

I find Maxol, Esso, Texaco etc sell similar fuels, I tried Tesco petrol once but never again. I prefer Maxol though, the engine seems to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I think this is a bit pointless to be honest. Unless there is some rigour behind the assertions, and there isn't, the comparisons will inevitably be pretty useless.

Emm its Whitegate MYOB, our next door neighbour is a lab tech there and does the testing for the octane level & quality control etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

For the millionth time.

ITS. ALL. THE. SAME.

*smashes face off desk repeatedly.

LOL good God its Hammertime!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hammertime wrote: »
    For the millionth time.

ITS. ALL. THE. SAME.

Ive asked you this in every petrol thread you commented on but you disappear after making the [self beneficial] case brand X is the same as "everyones" each time:

"What Octane rating and ethanol percentage does the fuel you sell (and "everyone") have?"

Only Maxol quote an Octane level and they quote considerably higher than the rest. Therefore its clearly not all the same. You as the business owner should possess an Ethanol % content tester at the very least.

From your previous posts I got the impression you were suggesting that as all fuel is/maybe E5, then its all the same, but that in itself is a fundamentally flawed ascertain.

Matt, E5 != an octane level. You can blend E5 to have anywhere from the low 90s to over 100 octane. The only guarantee you're going to get here is that its >95.
    Emm its Whitegate MYOB, our next door neighbour is a lab tech there and does the testing for the octane level & quality control etc...

I'm heading to NI in about 20 minutes and there's a Whitehead up there... thats my excuse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Maxol E5 is great, just not really readily available anywhere outside of dublin/dublin area...

Texaco seems to be the best, and i've heard that it's the one cars are remapped using...must be something to it....

otherwise, it's a case of whatever's around tbh. Topaz is almost everywhere, so that's probably what gets used most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I don't like Texaco purely because the ads are really stupid. Like some NYC taxi driver's opinion on gas matters to me, same with the dork in the RX7 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Maxol E5 is great, just not really readily available anywhere outside of dublin/dublin area...

What's the dublin/dublin area?

Its available in plenty of places outside of Dublin,I'd say this page hasnt been updated in a while either.

http://www.maxol.ie/general-content/e5-stations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Matt, E5 != an octane level. You can blend E5 to have anywhere from the low 90s to over 100 octane. The only guarantee you're going to get here is that its >95.

I went to great pains to make that very point in my own post?

Lets try again; Maxol "E5" is, by their production and marketing, 99.2octane.
    Unless we want to make baseless accusations against the company, lets just accept that.

Topaz/Everyone "E5" (if it is) could also be 5% ethanol, but not necessarily 99.2 octane. The fact they dont call it that, in a commercial marketplace, would with a high degree of probability indicate that it is not the same 99.2 octane fuel as Maxol sell, its merely 95ish octane. Ergo, all fuel is not the same, ethanol content being a misleading substitute for octane facts when stated by certain petrol station owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Absurdum wrote: »
    I don't like Texaco purely because the ads are really stupid. Like some NYC taxi driver's opinion on gas matters to me, same with the dork in the RX7 :rolleyes:
    VERY irritating, up there with the "let's go to the ballsbridge hotel" radio ad. There must be eff all difference in the "blends" (petrol X + additive Y) if they are trying to sell Texaco as some sort of a lifestyle choice rather than on the basis of scientific experiments.

Maxol E5 seems to be available in every ballygobackwards Maxol in Limerick.

I won't buy petrol from banjo-country village pumps. The kind of places where you knock on the door and some old lady comes out wiping her hands on an apron and turns on the pump and takes your money. Maybe it's irrational, but I think that proper forecourts would have better, cleaner, newer tanks and pumps.

I won't buy petrol from the station near the lee fields in Cork, ye all saw how much water that area was under (it's not always that bad but floods are common there). Again, maybe it's impossible for water/silt to get into the tanks but there's plenty other stations that don't flood every winter....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

off topic here a little bit ,i had a 02 laguna diesel for over two years twice in that two years i filled the car with tesco diesel and both times i got a injector fault light on the dash when i was about quarter way into the tank . it never happened with any other brand of diesel maybe it was coincidence . the two fills from tescos were months apart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I've been filling my car with tesco diesel for months now without a problem. If we've established for the most part all the fuel in ireland is more or less the same surely the problem is then the cleaniness of the tanks & pumps its going into? Which then as nothing to do with the brand of stations, maxol, tesco etc etc etc but just the individual stations themselves? Regardless of company?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

i think tesco in mullingar is the newest filling station so they would have newer tanks ,i would think older tanks would have more chance of corrosion , but maybe someone here knows something about maintenace that might have to be carried periodically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

I only use Texaco because it has Techron in it. Its good for your engine. I even saw a cab driver from New York on TV the other day saying the same thing. And if anyone knows what petrol is best then its New York cab drivers. Fact. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

kasper wrote: »
    i think tesco in mullingar is the newest filling station so they would have newer tanks ,i would think older tanks would have more chance of corrosion , but maybe someone here knows something about maintenace that might have to be carried periodically

I think each station has a regular inspection and maintenance carried out on each tank, not sure on the details though.

Advertisement