Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Red Cross/Order of Malta/St. John Ambulance

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Do any of these organisations operate in the Castlebar region. I would be interested in gaining first aid experience and to give a little back to the community.

from the Order of Malta Website

Officer in charge: Tom Jennings

Phone: 087 6833711

Email: castlebar@orderofmalta.ie

Activities

Old Folks, Community Service, Sports, Equestrian, Concerts & Festivals

Adult Meeting

Saturdays at 5.00pm in Order of Malta Premises,Pavillion Road, Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

The Castlebar and mayo units are very friendly indeed and do a lot of duties. I understand at least one mayo unit also assists emergency services by responding to 999 calls the odd time! At least, this was the case up to a couple years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

My Order of Malta dream has been dashed by the news that they have changed their meetings from Wednesday to Tuesday.

If anyone out there knows of any group, doesn't have to be OfM that meet Wed, Fri or the weekend I would be much obliged if you could let me know.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

dory wrote: »
    My Order of Malta dream has been dashed by the news that they have changed their meetings from Wednesday to Tuesday.

If anyone out there knows of any group, doesn't have to be OfM that meet Wed, Fri or the weekend I would be much obliged if you could let me know.
    Cheers!

Hi , I'm an Officer with SJA. There's a Division that meets in Ballyfermot Health Centre on Friday nights 8-10.

info@stjohnballyfermot.ie or PM me for a contact number

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

dory wrote: »

Cheers!

Hi Dory the cabra unit of OMAC meet on Wednesday nights as far as i no and that isnt to far from inchicore at all. you can PM for the contact details if your interested.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Different units meet on various days of the week i suggest you contact units within your area to find one on the appropriate day for you.

PM me if you need more info B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Hi guys,

I want to get into doing my EFR and EMTs to become a paramedic. Which would be a good organisation to join to get some experience and possibly do those courses through?

Thanks in advance!!

Hi guys,

I want to get into doing my EFR and EMTs to become a paramedic. Which would be a good organisation to join to get some experience and possibly do those courses through?

Thanks in advance!!

Remember it may take years for you to get on these courses as you will have had to prove you are committed to the organisation. They won't just let anyone walk in and get thousands of euro worth of training :)

Having said that, if you are really interested, the Order of Malta and the Red Cross have EMT certification. I believe Civil Defence also put forward candidates for EMT via the national ambulance training school. You will usually work your way up - basic first aid/OFA, EFR then EMT. In OMAC at least, only those who have given many years of service and were instructors were given places on the first EMT course. Then there are references required and interviews! So make sure you stay in good standing with the org that you join and are fairly active with duties.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I was in the red cross for years and loved it.

When I got to Oz I decided I'd get back involved. The SJA were my nearest group so I got involved with them.

BUt I've stopped going as it's like being in the military. They do drills and marches and all kinds of nonsense. I'm told the Irish one is similar.

Learning first aid should be just a bit of fun. Marching and saluting and calling people by their rank rather than their name is just bizarre to me.

I found my unit in the red cross to be pretty chilled, though a lot of the head honchos were quite uptight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

So the question is really Red Cross or Order of Malta......Which is better??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

St Johns Ambulance info night
    Recruitment Information Meeting - Thursday 21st January 2010
    St. John Ambulance Brigade of Ireland is delighted to announce the first in a series of information nights. The event will be held at Brigade Headquarters at Lumsden House, 29 Upper Leeson Street, Dublin. It is open to anyone who is interested in obtaining information about joining our organisation.
    order of malta
    Volunteering with the Ambulance Corps
    Volunteering with the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps is an opportunity to meet friends, learn new skills or put existing ones to good use. It is also a chance to be part of a team that will make a difference to people’s lives.
    Red Cross
    Volunteering/Membership
    Hand Care volunteer Joan Merrigan giving therapeutic hand care to an elderly lady in a Dublin nursing home.
    ‘Be part of a team that make’s a difference to people’s lives.’
    Volunteers are the most vital component of the Irish Red Cross.
    All the good work we do is only made possible because every year, thousands of volunteers willingly give up their time to help others.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 triloko

This was very helpful, thanks everyone for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

How closely integrated are the Irish Red Cross with the American Red Cross?

I was trained by the ARC as a lifeguard and need to update my CPR for the professional rescuer certificate. Does the IRC certify in a similar manner?

all certifications are done through PHECC in the Red Cross and OMAC, Johns Ambulance etc these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

How closely integrated are the Irish Red Cross with the American Red Cross?

I was trained by the ARC as a lifeguard and need to update my CPR for the professional rescuer certificate. Does the IRC certify in a similar manner?

The Irish Red Cross is separate from the American Red Cross. IRCS does offer the BLS qualification (Basic Life Support), which is accredited by the American Heart Association. That course is designed for healthcare professionals though and I'm guessing it's not the same course you did in America. So if it's for an Irish lifeguard certificate, then the CFR courses offered by any of IRCS, SJA, OMAC, CD etc would probably be the better option. Check with the organisation that accredits your lifeguard qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

For those interested, The St John Ambulance Brigade is commencing a public first aid class on Tuesday January 26th at 7.45pm.

It is being held in Brigade HQ, 29 Upper Leeson Street, Dublin 4.

Details can be found at :
    http://sja.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=63

or by contacting HQ on 01 6688077 930am to 12pm Mon-Fri.

Also plans are afoot for classes in Drogheda in the coming weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LC_ugh

Palmerstown Order of Malta welcomes new members. If your free on a thursday night and are interested in it, just pop down. Friendly bunch there

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

LC_ugh wrote: »
    Palmerstown Order of Malta welcomes new members. If your free on a thursday night and are interested in it, just pop down. Friendly bunch there

Likewise for the Limerick Unit... expanding quite fast in recent years.... drop in any friday night, 8pm Davis street or drop me a pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

Hi, I'd like to get involved but I'm not sure in which organisation. I mean this in the nicest possible way, but is there much difference between IRC/OM/SJA.
    Or do most ppl just pick it based on location?

Hi, I'd like to get involved but I'm not sure in which organisation. I mean this in the nicest possible way, but is there much difference between IRC/OM/SJA.
    Or do most ppl just pick it based on location?

In what they each do no theres not much of a difference. But in how they are run yes most likely a big difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

When it comes down to it they all do the same work on a voluntary basis and is a great hobby to be involved in. Geography plays an obvious in area where only one organisation may be present in an area.

There is not that many counties in Ireland without an OMAC unit.

At the end of the day its your choice and t ould make sense to probly go with the organistaion that has a unit closest to you [/LEFT]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Slightly off topic but can Order of Malta people give out aspirin to suspected heart attack patients? I know someone who is in the Order of Malta and claim they can and he carries it! I find this strange that someone with first aid training can do this. What if the person is allergic or something!

mood wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but can Order of Malta people give out aspirin to suspected heart attack patients? I know someone who is in the Order of Malta and claim they can and he carries it! I find this strange that someone with first aid training can do this. What if the person is allergic or something!

Yes, anyone who is a trained CFR (cardiac first responder) or higher can give aspirin to patients with suspected heart attack. There are indications and contraindications to be learned and if someone says they are allergic to it, it's not given!

Elessar wrote: »
    Yes, anyone who is a trained CFR (cardiac first responder) or higher can give aspirin to patients with suspected heart attack. There are indications and contraindications to be learned and if someone says they are allergic to it, it's not given!

I know of one unit who have several a few members who have some learning/intellectual difficulties. I don't think it is right that they should be allow hand out medication etc. One of these guys gave oxygen when he shouldn't etc.

There is not that many counties in Ireland without an OMAC unit.

Every county in Ireland has at least one OMAC unit. Only exception is Longford but think thats been set up at the moment.

Yes he can provided he's a CFR and follows the PHECC clinical practice guidelines from his/her training. Think very few actually carry it with them in kit bags though due to how AED bags , ambulances are stocked up etc.

I know of one unit who have several a few members who have some learning/intellectual difficulties. I don't think it is right that they should be allow hand out medication etc. One of these guys gave oxygen when he shouldn't etc.

Was that an OMAC unit? IIRC (and I'm open to correction) some things can be done that is currently above a persons clinical level under supervision of an EMT, Paramedic.

With regards to people with learning / intelectual difficulties I personally find your comments that it's not right about them administering medication offensive and belittling to them and would not be akin to the spirit of OMAC and it's goals now as well as 900 odd years ago when attitudes to these "disabilities" was alot different.

Regardless of their learning difficulties if they have passed a PHECC accredited exam then they are licensed to administer drugs at their level (and should be congratulated for overcoming their difficulties to passing their exams). Besides if I was having a suspected cardiac arrest and someone with "intellectual difficulties" was administering 300mg of aspirin I wouldnt care less once they were qualified at their level.

How do you know he shouldnt have given Oxygen?? And how do you no he isnt at the correct clinical level OR under the supervision of an EMT or Paramedic when given the Oxygen??? OMAC is open to all people, we are not prejudiced against people with learning or intellectual difficulties.

blondie7 wrote: »
    How do you know he shouldnt have given Oxygen?? And how do you no he isnt at the correct clinical level OR under the supervision of an EMT or Paramedic when given the Oxygen??? OMAC is open to all people, we are not prejudiced against people with learning or intellectual difficulties.

I was told that this person was not qualified to do it and did it unsupervised. Another person who I am talking about think he is more qualified than a nurse and didn't know someone could be allergic to aspirin!

I don't mean to offend anyone but wouldn't like to see anyone getting wrong treatment. I hope I'm being told wrong or at least the person is exaggerating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

miju wrote: »
    In what they each do no theres not much of a difference. But in how they are run yes most likely a big difference

Thanks, I'm looking to get involved with one of them, if I can. I checked the websites but I'm still not sure the difference in how they're run. Sorry to be a bother.

I was told that this person was not qualified to do it and did it unsupervised. Another person who I am talking about think he is more qualified than a nurse and didn't know someone could be allergic to aspirin!

I don't mean to offend anyone but wouldn't like to see anyone getting wrong treatment. I hope I'm being told wrong or at least the person is exaggerating.

Who told you they were not qualified to administer Oxygen?? Perhaps there was a nurse/doctor/EMT/Paramedic present but may not have been a member of the organisation and they supervised! You say they are more qualified than a nurse, what are they a doctor?? Or are they an EMT which is considered a higher clinical level than a nurse outside of the hospital. To which both are PHECC acredited and are answerable to the Medical board, i doubt anyone holding a medical licence is unaware of the side affects of something so simple as asprin!

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'm looking to get involved with one of them, if I can. I checked the websites but I'm still not sure the difference in how they're run. Sorry to be a bother.

One of the major differences is that the Red Cross is state funded while SJA and OMAC are not.

Having been in both SJA for 6 years and now in OMAC for nearly 2 they are run somewhat the same locally but different nationally.OMAC have more of a focus on youth, community care & first aid. And while SJA say they do the same in my unit when I was volunteering with SJA there was never never any community care or youth work.If you want to PM your area Delicate_Date I can give you further info and help ya find the org to suit :)

Advertisement