Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare FM Photography Competition

Options
  • 07-07-2010 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Clare FM announced a photography competition a few weeks backs open to Amateur photographers. The winning photo would go on to win a Nikon d3000 (apparently worth €600 but really more like €400). Anyways, the also are picking a top 12 to go on the Clare FM calander and i've just noticed that the results are in. Maybe i'm bitter because i did send in a pic and it isn't there but honestly, i'm just appalled at the lack of quality, skill, creativity gone into the winning shots. I mean, i could have cellotaped a camera phone to a horses penis, set it to timer mode and it still would have had more effort put into the photo. To me, an amateur photographer is someone who has a passion for photography, knows how to use a camera past it's automatic settings, can take a decent planned shot and not just point and shoot. Here is the link to the winning photo's (note that the only one to win a prize is the bottom one). Let me know what you think of the winning shots or if i am just being a bitter fooker: http://www.clare.fm/blog/paul/clares-greatest-places-stand-winners
    In my opinion, the judges obviously didn't know the difference between a good photo and a 2 metre long piece of dado rail. I see nothing there that would entice me to buy a Clare FM calander.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well that's gonna be an interesting calendar... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Another photography competition thread LOL ;)
    Yeah I suppose they might work under the criteria that they want the photos to look "amateur" to distinguish them from the professional looking calendars out there I guess. If they pick some really excellent looking photos taken by a person really into photography they would be ignoring their target audience which is Mrs O' Shea who likes to see a lovely photograph with a few kids on a beech or something like that :pac:
    These competitions are a waste of time really...

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I'm not knocking any of the photo's that got in the top 12, but i wouldn't be blown away quality wise of most of them. But maybe they were judged on location, suitability of month that they will represent, trying to keep things amaturist (not even a word). im not sure.
    I've spent a lot of time in Clare and its a spectacular county for phot oppurtunities.
    And the biggest complaint is that there is not a sight of Fr Teds house

Anyone fancy posting up a few Clare shots?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

All brutal but then again I am yet to be impressed by any of the boards posters either

The one with the 2 kids will work well for any of the summer months

All brutal but then again I am yet to be impressed by any of the boards posters either
    you must have high standards so, or else i have low ones

i am impressed most days by photos here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

I agree with a lot of what tororosso said there ...here's a couple of my shots from Clare taken a while back... looking at them now I think Ive improved a bit...and the framing , what was I on.:D:D

4457745265_afd8bfd964_z.jpg?zz=1

4455287037_421bb1687d_z.jpg?zz=1

4458523758_42a1f0386b_z.jpg?zz=1

4455998210_07d444078f_z.jpg?zz=1

paulusdu wrote: »
    you must have high standards so, or else i have low ones

i am impressed most days by photos here

O I definitely have high standards no two ways about it

Ha I really like trevs 2nd shot!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Force Kin

Amateur merely means that it's isn't a profession as in not making a living from it. This competition was a junior class beginner one not an amateur one. feckin farmer radio stations ruining my day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Ok, I came in here with an open mind about another photo comp thread and said i'd have a look..

Clicked the link and the first picture has a datestamp!

ffs

Although this is a great shot :D

Caoimhe%20Guinnane%20Dogs.jpg

thefly wrote: »
    O I definitely have high standards no two ways about it

Ha I really like trevs 2nd shot!!!!!

Cheers :D theFly I like that shot myself stupid border aside

• Advertisement

Don;t knock the borders, looks good with it
    its what all the cool kids are doing . . . .

That's quite a bitchy comment. Are you referring to photos posted in the forum or photos entered into the competition by boards members?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Of all the photos that got through in that competition, the winner baffles me.

steve06 wrote: »
    That's quite a bitchy comment. Are you referring to photos posted in the forum or photos entered into the competition by boards members?

Sorry but it's the truth. Granted I'm only new here and I haven't seen all the shots but I haven't been blown away yet. And on a photography forum I expected a lot more. I have seen some good shots but nothing amazing.

Plus this is a public forum. You can't expect positive feedback all the time. Sure just look at all the "bitchy" comments made towards the ClareFM photo competition

And just general posting not competitions

I'll throw a few in
    824BA1D756C54C839B263BE9A580294B-800.jpg

61AD728CF8664EE28DDC6EF8A0C480D2-800.jpg

double post

Paul have you considered borders I believe they are all the rage with the kids these days:D:D.

I think pic 1 would look better in with an "Antique" style setting (Antique preset in LR)

Sorry but it's the truth. Granted I'm only new here and I haven't seen all the shots but I haven't been blown away yet. And on a photography forum I expected a lot more. I have seen some good shots but nothing amazing.
    Enlighten us with some of your shots then....
    Plus this is a public forum. You can't expect positive feedback all the time. Sure just look at all the "bitchy" comments made towards the ClareFM photo competition

And just general posting not competitions
    People mostly post looking for C+C on their photos so I never expect positive comments, but I expect advice and not just people throwing in jibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

Granted I'm only new here and I haven't seen all the shots but I haven't been blown away yet.
    I took a photo of the back of a hovercraft, a toronado and a really powerful hairdryer and i don't mean to sound full of **** but they really blew me away... :)

I took a photo of the back of a hovercraft, a toronado and a really powerful hairdryer and i don't mean to sound full of **** but they really blew me away... :)

Ah school boy error. Any photographer worth his salt knows to wear ankle weights when photographing powerful hairdryers, tornado's and hovercraft's. Obviously adjust the weight depending on the strength of the wind!!!!!!

• Advertisement

3652291880_ff98f2bda3.jpg
    4318270581_3b3997a92b.jpg
    4518922569_e1c7a5339f.jpg

and this one is flying over Kilaloe :)
    4704261455_40f45179ef.jpg

Ah school boy error. Any photographer worth his salt knows to wear ankle weights when photographing powerful hairdryers, tornado's and hovercraft's. Obviously adjust the weight depending on the strength of the wind!!!!!!

I know, that's why i'm still considered amateur. I only weight 9 and a half stones too so that played a big part in it.

I know, that's why i'm still considered amateur. I only weight 9 and a half stones too so that played a big part in it.

There's your problem, everyone knows us pro's weight more than 10 stone

There's your problem, everyone knows us pro's weight more than 10 stone

I know sure. What i need, is to spend €2200 on a Canon 70-200 IS II and that way i will have added the extra half stone and therefore can call myself a pro.

I know sure. What i need, is to spend €2200 on a Canon 70-200 IS II and that way i will have added the extra half stone and therefore can call myself a pro.

Wow, amateur price. Seriously though, shop around I got the same lens for 16-1700 I can't remember exactly but it was noway near the 2 grand mark

Like your shots here Garry, I think you post decent stuff in general. Really like number 3 .

Come on thefly out with the pics.:D

Trev M wrote: »
    Like your shots here Garry, I think you post decent stuff in general. Really like number 3 .

pushers_out.jpg

Ha I've really set myself up for it now!!!!! I'll get some up tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Trev M wrote: »

Yep- obviously you're not obliged to post a link to your Flickr/Pix page or your website. However if you're going to criticise (as is your right) the quality of photos posted on this forum then it would seem only fair that you let us have a goo over your own images.

Yep- obviously you're not obliged to post a link to your Flickr/Pix page or your website. However if you're going to criticise (as is your right) the quality of photos posted on this forum then it would seem only fair that you let us have a goo over your own images.

I have stated I will put some up this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

@thefly - Anyone who hovers around dog shít all day has to have questionable taste ;)

Advertisement