Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help Wanted to buy an S Class Merc (00 to 04).

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,238 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Well said, big (engined) slightly older saloons are better value in Ireland than anywhere else in the world :)

Good luck with your search, Caddyman and keep us updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Watch out for engine management problems with the 320D. I would go for the 320 petrol really.

The facelifted version is nice but the w220 build quality was not the best, I agree with voodoomelon the interiors were quite plasticky. Still, very comfy long distance cruiser, air suspension was quite cushy.

I would go for an A8 though, if you could find a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I only wish Quattroporte's would drop in price, but they seem to be holding onto their value. God damn ridiculously good looking car... :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

While i'll never have the spare cash (or permission from the wife) to buy a nice luxobarge, the thoughts of getting so much car for your money is amazing. The S class and 7 series are nice options, but if I was going down this route I think i'd try and get myself a phaeton. Maybe its there rarity that appeals to me along with all the other toys they come with, but I often see one near where I work and they look the business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 282 ✭✭Caddyman

unkel wrote: »
    Well said, big (engined) slightly older saloons are better value in Ireland than anywhere else in the world :)

Good luck with your search, Caddyman and keep us updated!

Will do my best Unkel and thanks for the encouragement!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Inspired by this thread, I looked online at the available S-Classes. I was taken aback that, a car that is north of €100k new, can be bought 10 years later for under 5% of the original purchase price.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/S-Class/A%23T/201012197382647/advert?channel=CARS

this one for example. What a bargain, it really shows that there is absolutely no market for these large engined cars (there was even a 320 CDI S class for about €6k so its not just petrols) in ireland, and hence great bargains can be had.

If you have the cash and can afford the high running costs, best of luck with it OP and go for it!

I only wish Quattroporte's would drop in price, but they seem to be holding onto their value. God damn ridiculously good looking car... :(

You mean hurray for ridiculously cheap good looking big cars!

delly wrote: »
    While i'll never have the spare cash (or permission from the wife) to buy a nice luxobarge, the thoughts of getting so much car for your money is amazing. The S class and 7 series are nice options, but if I was going down this route I think i'd try and get myself a phaeton. Maybe its there rarity that appeals to me along with all the other toys they come with, but I often see one near where I work and they look the business.

Thanks for the suggestion delly but to be honest I can't get beyond the badge even though I know its one of Clarkson's top 10 in his imaginary garage! I can only see this one for sale in Ireland even though its on a UK plate, but €30,900 for a 4 year old VW just does not sound right to me!!

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3719255#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 angry_bob

A few links for you to speed your research Caddyman:
    03 w220 - MBWorld.org Forums
    Comparison of '00 and '05 W220 - MBWorld.org Forums
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...d-s-class.html
    Is it Worth It? '00 S500... - MBWorld.org Forums
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/show...48#post1902648
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ew-member.html
    Pre-owned S500 recommendations - MBWorld.org Forums

Many of the links were written to respond to different questions, but either contain information at least partly responsive to your question, raise other issues you should consider when buying pre-owned, or contain imbedded links to other good information.

Good luck.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Inspired by this thread, I looked online at the available S-Classes. I was taken aback that, a car that is north of €100k new, can be bought 10 years later for under 5% of the original purchase price.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/S-Class/A%23T/201012197382647/advert?channel=CARS

this one for example. What a bargain, it really shows that there is absolutely no market for these large engined cars (there was even a 320 CDI S class for about €6k so its not just petrols) in ireland, and hence great bargains can be had.

If you have the cash and can afford the high running costs, best of luck with it OP and go for it!

Thanks for the link and responce Max Power. I wonder what the milage is on that S Class in your link and what the service history looks like and at that price its bound to need money spending on it but then again thats being assumptive! It could well be a bargain.

• Advertisement

angry_bob wrote: »
    A few links for you to speed your research Caddyman:
    03 w220 - MBWorld.org Forums
    Comparison of '00 and '05 W220 - MBWorld.org Forums
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...d-s-class.html
    Is it Worth It? '00 S500... - MBWorld.org Forums
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/show...48#post1902648
    http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ew-member.html
    Pre-owned S500 recommendations - MBWorld.org Forums

Many of the links were written to respond to different questions, but either contain information at least partly responsive to your question, raise other issues you should consider when buying pre-owned, or contain imbedded links to other good information.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot angry bob, there is a huge amount of info here in these links that will take me all day and night to read through but sure sometimes the fun is in the chase and getting to know the beast you are hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I was looking at the heading of this thread "help wanted to buy an S Class" and realised that it is a begging site, which has not elicted any donations. Had it worked I was all set up to start my multiple threads "help wanted re Villas, cars, holidays, etc. etc.
    Dashed again!

Rugbyman

rugbyman wrote: »
    I was looking at the heading of this thread "help wanted to buy an S Class" and realised that it is a begging site, which has not elicted any donations. Had it worked I was all set up to start my multiple threads "help wanted re Villas, cars, holidays, etc. etc.
    Dashed again!

Rugbyman

Its a good idea but I would not like to be the first to beg for money from the Irish Public at the present time especially for an S Class Merc! I am sure some of our politicians would have the brass neck to give it a go since most of them along with high ranking civil servants think they are "ENTITLED" to so much already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

v240gltse wrote: »
    hi caddyman,

really fine cars one day i'll get one . anyways check EVERYTHING electrical and especially the air suspension as they are an horrendous price to repair ( listen out for air sounds at each of the wheels and also the pump) . Also sadly you have to check for rust.

there is a company in the states that has made a conversion kit over to stand shocks and springs.

here's a link to the honestjohn review site

hope it works out for you

regards

brendan

I was surprised to read about the rust on such a recently built luxurious car.
    Why did does it have this problem?, you don't see many rusty cars these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mcwhirter wrote: »

Its not a problem. The A8 has a alluminium body so i dont think its going to rust somehow:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

SARASON wrote: »
    Its not a problem. The A8 has a alluminium body so i dont think its going to rust somehow:rolleyes:.

I was referring to the merc s-class though

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭v240gltse

HI,

Sadly the really rusty cars are Merc's :eek: . My son has a 97 e200 and the rust on it is unbelievable when compared to either my 98 Saab 9000 cse or my previous 97 Volvo S70.

the rust is on the front and rear wings, boot catch ( very common ) along front of bonnet , front cross member ( Mercedes didn't allow water to drain off :mad: ) hence water gathers on the lower engine shield which attaches to the cross member .

Solution drill lots of holes in shield and place spacers between guard and cross member after removing shield and rut proofing the cross member.

rust in the spare wheel well. I could go on and on but do a google search and you'll get lots of hits.

still having said all that the engine has 188k on it and its still as sweet as a sewing machine and its a very comfortable car to drive.

so moral of the story stay away from the w210 models and look to the earlier w124 or w126 models.

mcwhirter wrote: »

After almost a month since my search began I have agreed a purchase of a big german car but its not an S class as I deviated at the last moment and went a different path! I don't want to tempt faith so I will not give too much away just yet but watch this space for full details and photos after the weekend! Wish me luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Caddyman wrote: »
    After almost a month since my search began I have agreed a purchase of a big german car but its not an S class as I deviated at the last moment and went a different path! I don't want to tempt faith so I will not give too much away just yet but watch this space for full details and photos after the weekend! Wish me luck!!

Best of luck...hoping it's a late e38...

EPM wrote: »
    Best of luck...hoping it's a late e38...

I always love guessing games so could not resist replying to say NO!

• Advertisement

I always love guessing games so could not resist replying to say NO!

Or do you really mean yes:confused::D

Or do you really mean yes:confused::D

I sence a kindred spirit EPM but NO in this case actually does means NO!
    (TBH I am quite not sure what an e38 is?)
    I can reveal that I sold my 1978 Mercedes 450Sl today which is going to fund the thick end of the new car!

a 7 series?
    Good buy if it is, if i had the money theyd be one of the first cars id think of!

a 7 series?
    Good buy if it is, if i had the money theyd be one of the first cars id think of!

NOPE!

Well youve got my interest now.

Is it an audi quattro? Or the skoda octavia vrs :p(technically german as a part of VAG)

Well youve got my interest now.

Is it an audi quattro? Or the skoda octavia vrs :p(technically german as a part of VAG)

NOPE! But here is a clue; Its Big in size but still does 0-60 6 in Seconds.........

No matter what you guess now you will will have to wait till tomorrow as I have to hit the hay now as was at a party last night and am about to fall asleep!!
    Good Night!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Audi S8.

Audi S8.

NOPE!

Jag XJ?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Jag XJ?!?