Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Transformers Game

• 15-01-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭

I'll reserve excitement untill I see some gameplay footage. The game itself is meant to be akin to Gears of War. That said it does appear to be heavily influenced by DWs war within.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's an excellent trailer alright, but like yourself I am waiting for proper in game footage before I commit.
    I really like the redesigned Gen1 characters. However, if they are going for a G1 style why did they get someone to do an impression of Hugo Weaving's movie Megatron when Frank Welker (original Megatron voice) is still doing the rounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Looks good alright. Couldn't possibly be worse then the movie tie-in games anyway... as was said, I'll hold my judgement for the gameplay stuff to come out

Apparently if you preorder the game with Gamestop they give you a code to download Shockwave as a playable character (in multiplayer).
    SHOCKWAVEW_1265741370.jpg
    Now, if they made a toy of that I'd be all over it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Galvasean wrote: »
    Now, if they made a toy of that I'd be all over it.

I only heard it on the moonbase 2 podcast but they seemed to think there was a toyline for the game in the works.

There is one alright. Havent seen anything to do with a Shockwave toy yet though. Interestingly, the previously unreleased Drift toy from the Universe line will be released under the War For Cybertron line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Now shockwave is what I'm talking about.

Images of the Bumblebee, Prime and Megatron toys are up along with Drift and Classic Thrust!):
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/toy-fair-38/official-transformers-generations-images-from-toy-fair-2010-169176/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

GenghisCon wrote: »

I'll reserve excitement untill I see some gameplay footage. The game itself is meant to be akin to Gears of War.

Ok. Maybe a little excitement is warrented....

Gameplay footgae looks good. Similar to the Armada game on PS2, which was pretty good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Hoping we have another Arkham Asylum type scenario here. Really wish they'd get Welker back to do voices though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Of the footage I've seen for this game, it looks exciting, and the fact it's not a movie tie in could work well for the game's storyline and the general gameplay

Revenge of the Fallen and the original Transformers the game suffered somewhat because of their connection with the movie - this doesn't seem to have that problem and I can only say it's going to be amazing fan service if the pictures are anything to go by

transformers-war-for-cybertron-2-2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

GenghisCon wrote: »
    Ok. Maybe a little excitement is warrented....
    Great trailer.. gotta love Omega Supreme at the end :D and Trypticon (I'm assuming) in the first trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Shockwave pre-order looks like a must have!

THere better be a toy of that :eek:

Another 25 for Modelmania it is so :o

Ooo I just realised there's going to be a PC version! :D (call me old-fashioned but I still think the only good games on consoles are racing/driving games! I prefer the keyboard/mouse for FPS type stuff!)

Still looking pretty damn awesome:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-transformers-war/100936

Lots of Trypticon in that clip.

Still looking pretty damn awesome:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-transformers-war/100936

Lots of Trypticon in that clip.

Looks great - half the appeal for me is the throwback to the G1 characters I grew up with (nice to see Soundwave can still make the energon cubes :))

Hopefully the gameplay will live up to these videos!

EDIT: Just looking through the character lists - http://www.transformersgame.com/#/game/characters

I wonder will we see some of the combiners (Aerialbots and Combaticons).

You can even build your own characters (for multplayer) so expect to see lots of fan made classic characters

Plus we'd only get embroiled in more confusion as to whether the Constructicons built Megatron or Megatron built the Constructicons.

• Advertisement

Yeah, how nice would it be to have Starscream leading a rogue unit of 'cons complete with Combaticons (never mind that Braw is dead) in some sort of Decepticon civil war. Perhaps after the death of the Fallen certain Decepticons will have grown disllusioned with Megatron's leadership?

/fanboy

Inspite of Hasbro's apparent intention to create a single 'cohesive' continuity, i can see certain elements of the movies being swept under the rug.... maybe it's just me, but it seems like the Fallen undermines the image of Megatron as a meglomaniacal tyrant type..... especially since he... you know, turned out to be a bit of a wuss.

I think they were going for a Vader/ Emperor thing with Megs and the Fallen.

Unfortunately, they portrayed Luke Skywalker as having a predeliction and the power to tear the Emperor's face off, thus kinda ruining the dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Multiplayer demo is out for the game on Xbox Live atm.

After playing it for about 2 hours, I can safely say "winner winner, chicken dinner". Multiplayer is great, great fun. cant wait for the full game now.

Am enjoying the demo, nothing amazing but good and solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

dont know if this is any uses to anyone but i was up in the square in tallagh today and gamestop on the second level are taking pre orders for the game now (due out 25th according to them) and the special character you get for doing so is..

...shockwave.

:)

by the way for those who are thick like me the special characters are only available in the multi player options so if your expecting to play em in the game proper for get it.

extra bit of news though is you can buy it on play.com now.

its number 22 in their chart so hopefully if it does well enough we'll get a sequel (which the designers said would allow us to play as characters like trypticon and omega :) )

Picked it up for the PS3 yesterday.

Can't say I'm all that crazy about it. No where near the brilliance of the old PS2 game.

It all feels very unpolished, like it could have done with a month or two more in development.

It's way too easy to run out of ammo too and you seem to only have one melee attack that is awkwardly accomplished by pushing in on the right stick. Also the levels are designed with Gears of War style cover based fire fights but you don't actually seem to have an cover command... you just have to awkwardly place yourself behind barriers to get out of the line of fire.

Will play it a bit more when I get home this evening, but not terribly impressed so far.

Playing it since last night myself (PC version) and I think its not bad.. I'm not too fond of 3rd person views generally but ya get used to it.

Few thoughts - possible spoilers!
    Megatron is cool! His fusion cannon kicks ass :p Only downside is he's a bit slow in tank mode - movement and weapon reloading takes what feels like ages.

Starscream and the jets have the edge I think in combat.. hovering/flying is so much better than running/driving everywhere, plus its more fun blasting Autobots from above!

It does improve significantly as it goes on.

I'm almost finished it now... just one level left I think.
    The Omega Supreme level was pretty cool. And I just did the Trypticon level, which while really difficult has very cool moments where you get to fly around at very high speeds through very narrow corridors. All very Return of the Jedi.

Don't know why there aren't more signature Autobots for you to fight on the Decepticon levels. The game really feels like they put more effort into it as it went along.

• Advertisement

It does improve significantly as it goes on.

I'm almost finished it now... just one level left I think.
    The Omega Supreme level was pretty cool. And I just did the Trypticon level, which while really difficult has very cool moments where you get to fly around at very high speeds through very narrow corridors. All very Return of the Jedi.

Don't know why there aren't more signature Autobots for you to fight on the Decepticon levels. The game really feels like they put more effort into it as it went along.

I'd agree there.. though I think I dispatched
    Bumblebee
    at one stage?
    I'm just after blasting Omega with gun turrets and now I'm off to "finish the job" :D

It is getting better as it goes though!

ive been having great craic with this.

taking my time though to drag it out. at the battle of iacon now playing as soundwave.

on the whole if feels like killzone with the ability to turn into a tank/jet/truck and blast/ram your enemies when you run out of ammo.

:)

about the only complaint i have is the writing is tiny on my telly (which admitedly is years old so it mightve been designed for 50 inch monsters ) and ocassionally i find myself missing the point of certain levels (case in point one part where i was meant to snipe autobots on a rail/level above me but i didnt even see the sniper rifle i was meant to use till after wards , using the frag launcher to fire sticky grenades at em and denotate them when they came closest to the autobots instead- which i have to say was alot of fun .)

i actually bought the PS3 specifically to get this game and dont regret it. i actually think its much better than the armada game as theres far more of a story to it including character banter (come on dont tell me you didnt crack a smile when barricade asked megatron if he was joking when suggesting a particular bit of strategy and megs responded " yes barricade, im well renowed for my sparkeling sense of humour !" ) and the weaponry on the vehicle mode comes in damn handy.

and as a loner i have to say its good to see how meaty the levels are . ive NO interest in online multiplayer stuff so its good to get a game that takes a good while to complete.

all in all i hope this gets a sequel !

though mind you i'd still kill for a single player socomm type game using a special team

as theres far more of a story to it including character banter (come on dont tell me you didnt crack a smile when barricade asked megatron if he was joking when suggesting a particular bit of strategy and megs responded " yes barricade, im well renowed for my sparkeling sense of humour !" )
    Yes the banter between the characters is great - there's another bit like this
    when Megatron "compliments" Breakdown saying that "your incessent whining got us through!"
    :D

Also the bit with
    Starscream and the seekers earlier on when one of them complains about him calling them fools and that they think he doesn't respect them! - his answer: "shut up... fool!"
    :p

I've just finished the Decepticon campaign so onto the Bots next.. although I have to admit, I have a feeling I'm gonna miss playing as Megatron!

Having aquired a second hand PS3 this week I think I'll get this game, but I don't wanna pay full price so I'll probably get one second hand at some point.

Soundwave was great to play as. He has some great lines too.

Wasn't crazy about Optimus... Warpath is great though.

Got around to finishing the campaign tonight.. Very good overall, but I think the Decepticon half was better. Hopefully this gets a sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Rented it from Xtravision last Thursday. Finished the Decepticon campaign last night and unlocked Slipstream for multi.

I'm stock on part of the 2nd Chapter in the Autobot campaign.
    The one where Ratchet is attempting to repair Omega and you have to prevent him from taking damage.

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I'm stock on part of the 2nd Chapter in the Autobot campaign.
    The one where Ratchet is attempting to repair Omega and you have to prevent him from taking damage.

One of the hatches you can open on Omega Supreme's right has some healing grenades in it. I found they helped me get through that section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

One of the hatches you can open on Omega Supreme's right has some healing grenades in it. I found they helped me get through that section.

Thanks monkeyfudge. I'll give that a try. I miss the days of Infinite Health and Infinite ammo codes.

It's a tricky enough section alright.

Make sure you don't stray too far from Ratchet, so you can resuscitate him if he goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Not sure if anyone is playing this on PC, but after travelling the length and breadth of the country looking for a copy, (well ok, Dublin and Waterford), it's finally available on Steam.

I know it's been on D2D before this, but every other game I own I have bought, (in some cases for the second time), through Steam.

Admittedly I haven't played it yet, I'm saving it for the weekend :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement